Why are there no Osteopathic Pediatric Surgery residencies/fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking through the "Opportunities" list through the AOA, but I cannot find any pediatric surgery residency/fellowship programs listed.
http://do-online.osteotech.org/pdf/sir_opplist.pdf
I am also curious as to why there are only 33 approved Pediatric Surgery Fellowships in the United States? And most programs only take one or two residents per year to every other year. I am also curious as to why Pediatric Surgery cannot have its own residency program that is 5-6 years long (analogous to neurosurgery), rather than do a 5 year general surgery/thoracic surgery program, than a 2-3 year fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

Why only 33? It's a small field. The population of young children who need the services of a fellowship trained peds surgeon is very small.

Why no osteopathic? Osteopathy is a small field also, compounding the above effect. Are there any osteopathic children's hospitals with the referral area to support such a training program anyway?

Why is peds surg not its own field? Gsurg and Nsurg are VASTLY different - I can't think of any operation that both specialties perform. The peds and general surgery skill sets share MUCH in common. Keep in mind, the system is designed to benefit the programs, not the trainees. The peds surg programs get more than enough fully trained general surgeons vieing for spots. They presumably come in capable of independent operative and medical management of commonly encountered problems. Why the #$^ would training programs want to start recruiting medical students instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.