Is a research year necessary to get into a cardiothoracic surgery fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bassurgery

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am nearly done with my PGY-2 year and I'm very interested in CT surgery. We have the option of a research year, but I am wondering if that's absolutely necessary to do to get a position in a CT surgery fellowship. I do have projects that I am working on within my program, so I will have publications/presentations by the time I finish residency.
 
As stated above, not strictly necessary like peds or surg onc - but getting there (CT match rate last year was lower than both of those). I got in from a 5-year community program, but it took two interview cycles for me to match. I will say, the vast majority of the successful applicants from the two cycles I participated in came from university programs with dedicated research time. If you have the opportunity for dedicated time in a productive department I'd recommend taking it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. Absolutely not necessary. I did a 5 year program. I did do research in residency. Not including my med school projects, I had 2 retrospective studies (3rd and 1st author), and 1 oral presentation. Compared to people I have met in fellowship that have done research years, it is small but I matched and had many interviews when I applied. I do know it's becoming more and more competitive though
 
Including publications and presentations from your ongoing projects will undoubtedly enhance your application for a CT surgery fellowship. While a research year can be beneficial for some, it's not always a requirement. Focus on doing well in your current projects, gaining relevant experience, and showcasing your passion for CT surgery in your application. Good luck with your future endeavors!