strategies for reading comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you ace reading comprehension? i've never been good at reading and answering questions during pressured time. currently studying DAT and having a tough time. any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

futuredentist23 said:
how do you ace reading comprehension? i've never been good at reading and answering questions during pressured time. currently studying DAT and having a tough time. any advice?

Read fast and even faster through detailed sections. Map the passage so you can find info when you get to the ?'s.

futuredentist23 said:

Practice practice practice practice practice practice.. Get it?

I used the Kaplan 'road map method'. You read the passage first and jot down a word or two about each paragraph (main idea). Then refer to the road map for the location of the answer when looking at the questions.

I can't say this is the best method but as a slow reader I managed to score 20.

Good luck

I tried the kaplan "road map method, but it was worse for me." A suggestion that worked for me was get your hands on some text books that are way above you your level, (I used physics and micro). Pick a passage in the book read it fast and then close the book and recite/recall as much as you can about the passage, specifics count. Then practice practice.....

I suck at reading, and I'm slow, but after this got a 25 on RC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude,
I didn't practice for it at all. It's not that important of a section(in general).
I went in without doing any additional studying for it, just started with the first question and did each one skimming the passage. Don't bother reading the whole thing, I think you will probably have to go back through it anyway.

I got a 22. :luck:

Jeff

ddsjeff77 said:
Dude,
I didn't practice for it at all. It's not that important of a section(in general).
I went in without doing any additional studying for it, just started with the first question and did each one skimming the passage. Don't bother reading the whole thing, I think you will probably have to go back through it anyway.

I got a 22. :luck:

Jeff

I agree. I just read the passage as fast as I could without retaining details but was still able to use the "Roadmap Method" and map the important buzz words in my head. The paragraphs are numbered so I was able to remember that as well.

I've never been strong with RC on any kind of standardized test. I was pretty frustrated with the DAT RC as well, and I thought I bombed it. I ended up with a 20 which I'm pretty happy with.