strategies for reading comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredentist23

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how do you ace reading comprehension? i've never been good at reading and answering questions during pressured time. currently studying DAT and having a tough time. any advice?
 
futuredentist23 said:
how do you ace reading comprehension? i've never been good at reading and answering questions during pressured time. currently studying DAT and having a tough time. any advice?

Read fast and even faster through detailed sections. Map the passage so you can find info when you get to the ?'s.
 
futuredentist23 said:
how do you ace reading comprehension? i've never been good at reading and answering questions during pressured time. currently studying DAT and having a tough time. any advice?

Practice practice practice practice practice practice.. Get it?

I used the Kaplan 'road map method'. You read the passage first and jot down a word or two about each paragraph (main idea). Then refer to the road map for the location of the answer when looking at the questions.

I can't say this is the best method but as a slow reader I managed to score 20.

Good luck
 
I tried the kaplan "road map method, but it was worse for me." A suggestion that worked for me was get your hands on some text books that are way above you your level, (I used physics and micro). Pick a passage in the book read it fast and then close the book and recite/recall as much as you can about the passage, specifics count. Then practice practice.....

I suck at reading, and I'm slow, but after this got a 25 on RC.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dude,
I didn't practice for it at all. It's not that important of a section(in general).
I went in without doing any additional studying for it, just started with the first question and did each one skimming the passage. Don't bother reading the whole thing, I think you will probably have to go back through it anyway.

I got a 22. :luck:

Jeff
 
ddsjeff77 said:
Dude,
I didn't practice for it at all. It's not that important of a section(in general).
I went in without doing any additional studying for it, just started with the first question and did each one skimming the passage. Don't bother reading the whole thing, I think you will probably have to go back through it anyway.

I got a 22. :luck:

Jeff


I agree. I just read the passage as fast as I could without retaining details but was still able to use the "Roadmap Method" and map the important buzz words in my head. The paragraphs are numbered so I was able to remember that as well.

I've never been strong with RC on any kind of standardized test. I was pretty frustrated with the DAT RC as well, and I thought I bombed it. I ended up with a 20 which I'm pretty happy with.