rosalind franklin riddle... HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echinoderm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
echinoderm said:
hi folks, so i hear that there's a riddle asked during the RF interview.. i know that it's probably a test to see how we think and stuff.. but if anyone has gone through it, and knows what the riddle is, can somebody give me pointers? i seriously suck at riddles and jokes... ahhhhh!!!

it's really stupid.... ill give it away cuz I don't think you'll get it in your interview (only one out of the 20 of us interviewing that day got it) and I don't want you to obsess over it cuz it won't make or break your application.

So if you have any group of 99's. 9999 or 999999 or 99... If you could add, subtract, multiply, or divide them, how would you get the final product, sum, or total to be 100.

like for example, 99 + 99 - 9999.... and so on and so on. The guy who told us this riddle told us how he actually sat there and pulled out a pen but because he was so rushed, he didn't get it....

It's:

99/99 + 99 = 100.

That's it. You'll do fine echinoderm. I wish you best of luck and PM me if you have more questions. I had Dr. Rasgado. He was nice.

You'll have a student + faculty or faculty + faculty interviewer. Two interviews in total, each less than forty minutes.

Freakingzooming said:
it's really stupid.... ill give it away cuz I don't think you'll get it in your interview (only one out of the 20 of us interviewing that day got it) and I don't want you to obsess over it cuz it won't make or break your application.

So if you have any group of 99's. 9999 or 999999 or 99... If you could add, subtract, multiply, or divide them, how would you get the final product, sum, or total to be 100.

like for example, 99 + 99 - 9999.... and so on and so on. The guy who told us this riddle told us how he actually sat there and pulled out a pen but because he was so rushed, he didn't get it....

It's:

99/99 + 99 = 100.

That's it. You'll do fine echinoderm. I wish you best of luck and PM me if you have more questions. I had Dr. Rasgado. He was nice.

You'll have a student + faculty or faculty + faculty interviewer. Two interviews in total, each less than forty minutes.

what about: (((9x9)+9)/9) + ((9x9)+9) = 100

Members don't see this ad :)
or

(9999 - 99)/99

i apologize - (just making things harder than they have to be)

fun8stuff said:
what about: (((9x9)+9)/9) + ((9x9)+9) = 100

sorry funstuff - they have to be groups of "99"s if i read it correctly...but hey, your's works too!

Hey echinoderm...good luck at the interview. tell me how it goes.

echinoderm said:
hi folks, so i hear that there's a riddle asked during the RF interview.. i know that it's probably a test to see how we think and stuff.. but if anyone has gone through it, and knows what the riddle is, can somebody give me pointers? i seriously suck at riddles and jokes... ahhhhh!!!

el dudarino said:
sorry funstuff - they have to be groups of "99"s if i read it correctly...but hey, your's works too!

doh!

thanks you all.. you guys are amazing... just a small sigh of relief... i'll be sure to update everyone if any good news strikes.

el dudarino said:
or

(9999 - 99)/99

i apologize - (just making things harder than they have to be)

That's how I did it just now.

echinoderm, when u interviewing there?

Freakingzooming said:

It's:

99/99 + 99 = 100.

If decimal's are allowed, you can just do 9999/99.99 or 999999/9999.99

I think decimals were offlimits. But the point was to divide to solve the riddle.

Got your PM echinoderm. Best of luck man. Sorry I couldn't contact you sooner.

I got asked 2 riddles during my interview, got both wrong, and was still accepted. Don't worry about it.

akpete said:
I got asked 2 riddles during my interview, got both wrong, and was still accepted. Don't worry about it.

I believe you could only use 4 9s, any way you want. The correct answer is:

99 + (9/9) = 100

if the guys at the admissions office at finch have even half a brain, this question will never be used again. :idea: :laugh:

finallyin said:
I believe you could only use 4 9s, any way you want. The correct answer is:

99 + (9/9) = 100

yeah, I didn't realize I could divide the 9s. That's cheating... :smuggrin: