the truth about Sri Ramachandra Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truth Betold

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all those who really want the truth,
I don't know what part of the SRMC College Mr.Souvik Sen attends, but it’s not a true description of SRMC & RI in my opinion. For those students who have interest in medicine from the USA, this is not the college for you if you ask me. I joined SRMC straight out of high school under impression how different can college in India be. I was certainly in for a shock.
In this message I plan on setting the truth straight on many topics for those who need to know the truth, so they don't make the same mistake that I have

1. grading system
 - The biggest difference between the academic world of the USA and India is that in India all grading is subjective. This means that regardless how correct an individual may be, it does not matter because it is left to the subjectivity of the professor grading your paper.
- ex. - in my first year of college the first examination I had was call an internal examination ( the portions being a whole system within the body) the exam has 10 questions(2 essays(15 pts each) and 8 short notes(5 pts each) and 30 multiple choice questions(MCQ's, 1 pt each). After receiving my score I felt I had been wronged in terms of the grading. I was then informed of the most outrageous information. the professor told me that even though I had written the right answer, the most points a student could get was 4 pts out of 5 pts short noteand with an essay the most being 13 pts out of 15 pts. When I asked why I was told that there is no way that I could have written a perfect answer (or that matter any student). I was very confused by this method of grading. So if you look at the whole out of a possible 100 pts one is being graded out of, the highest you could get is 88 pts. in order to pass any exam in India one must get 50% or higher. If you are confused by this, don’t worry I still am as well

2. Quality of education
 -For students from the USA, all of you (as did I) will realize how spoiled you were to have the teachers you did in high school. I can not comment on the quality of education in an American college as I have not attended one. NONE of the professors in SRMC have degrees in teaching at all. Don’t get me wrong now, the professors are all very smart and knowledgeable but outside of a select few none of them have a clue on how to teach a class. A majority of them don’t even teach, they just copy the text book on to an overhead projection and read it out loud. I don’t know about you but I could do same thing and I don’t consider myself a professor( to think I paid all that money for this caliber of teaching)
 -In my personal opinion I have not learned a damn thing from my professors in SRMC. All the studying & learning done was by me on my own in my room. The people who helped me the most would have to be the students that were senior to me. Without them I have no clue how I would made out med school in India
 -Now I know all of the students from the USA are a bit pampered in the sense they have not had to deal with extreme weather conditions. I struggled the first couple of years with the heat in India. And NO the classrooms were not air conditioned. All a fan does is rotate hot stale air. But for those who choose not to heed this warning you are in luck as SRMC has just recently air conditioned a majority of its classrooms. But when you hit your clinical years, touch luck, the hospital is not air conditioned.
 -oh yeah, on a odd note, all the guys sit on one side of the class room and girls sit on the other (just weird)
3. student rights
 -As this may not seem to be an important topic while thinking about what college you are going to attend. When it comes to SRMC it REALLY matters.
 -Since the college is a ‘deemed’ university, they have total autonomy over everything and I mean everything.
-Examples
-The college looks down upon students who relationships with the opposite sex and it has long been felt that students have been failed for this reason (remember grading system is subjective)
-There is a curfew for all students regardless of age (doesn’t matter if you have an undergraduate degree, they don’t care). This is if you stay on campus
-If a professor decides to pick on you in class or on rounds, you will have to swallow your pride, because if you respond back you can guarantee that you will be failed on purpose (this is a fact). And when I say picked on, I mean I been dogged just for the fact I am from USA , nothing else (words cannot do justice to my displeasure)
-By the end of your tenure in SRMC you will learn, in order to get through college in India, you better leave your pride at home and work on your brown nosing skills
 -Just to make things clear – ‘YOU AS A STUDENT IN SRMC HAVE NO RIGHTS’
4. occupancy
 -there are no co-ed dorms for any you that had other plans
 -If you are a male student that stays in the hostel (the Indian terminology for dorms) there are no TV’s. there are TV rooms which are not air conditioned and are very uncomfortable for one to watch TV
 -Female students have TV’s in their own rooms, but their room size is considerably smaller
 -Each NRI has their own room, with its own bathroom and air conditioning facilities
-This means you must buy your own A/C and have it installed
-You are given a desk, a cot, and metal closet
 -If you live in the hostel that usually means the majority of the food you will be eating is on campus.
-In order to eat at the NRI mess, one must walk about a half a mile each way (this is if you don’t have bike or a car)
-The food served at NRI mess if not even fit for a animal to eat, let alone it be a human
 -In order to get to college from the hostel you must walk about three quarters of a mile (no transport will provided for you regardless of weather conditions(try walking to class during monsoon season))
5. outlets
 -beside basketball and weight lifting there are no real outlets for NRI students on campus available on daily basis, so get ready to bored out of your mind(literally); and for females there are really no outlets period.
-In end the reason I write this as a message of good will. I don’t want anyone to go through what I went through just because they didn’t know. Going to college in SRMC is not cheap, it cost me $100,000 dollars up front cash. The only saving grace of SRMC is that I have met a lot good people that I expect to be my friends for life, but truth be told if I had a chance to do it again there is no way in hell would I go to SRMC knowing what I know now. Once again this is not to discredit what Mr.Souvik Sen has said his messages, that is if you don’t mind all the things that I have just explained above. Any questions email me at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

WOW...I know I wouldn't have survived. It probably takes a lot of compromising and determination to get through due to some of the obvious cultural and educational differences between US and India. Are you doing your residency in US now?

rxgal8 said:
WOW...I know I wouldn't have survived. It probably takes a lot of compromising and determination to get through due to some of the obvious cultural and educational differences between US and India. Are you doing your residency in US now?

in response to your question i am currently in the process of taking my board exams

Members don't see this ad :)
It is just not SRMC! that is how every school in India works.

Reactions: 1 user
ravi said:
It is just not SRMC! that is how every school in India works.

well maybe except for Manipal...

Yeah...Manipal is a great place to go to !!!!!

parasiteatwork said:
Yeah...Manipal is a great place to go to !!!!!

im applying there this year....still gotta decide if i can be away from da city and relatives.

CaliAtenza said:
well maybe except for Manipal...

May be Manipal is an exception. I haven't been to Manipal, but some of my cousins and friends went to Manipal( some of them came back as drug addicts :eek: (not medical school though) ). But 99% of the Indian schools work exactly the same way as OP mentioned.

To caliAtenza,
I hope Manipal works best for you. But if you have never been to India before and you don't know much about the social conditions and cultural restrictions, you are going to have hard time. It doesn't matter if it is SRMC or Manipal.

Good Luck

ravi said:
May be Manipal is an exception. I haven't been to Manipal, but some of my cousins and friends went to Manipal( some of them came back as drug addicts :eek: (not medical school though) ). But 99% of the Indian schools work exactly the same way as OP mentioned.

To caliAtenza,
I hope Manipal works best for you. But if you have never been to India before and you don't know much about the social conditions and cultural restrictions, you are going to have hard time. It doesn't matter if it is SRMC or Manipal.

Good Luck

thanx mang..yeah ive been to india like a gazillion times..just went this past december... :D ...and SRMC is preety much out for me..its eitehr schools in Bangalore or Manipal

CaliAtenza said:
thanx mang..
ravi's not a guy (that's her son's name) :p

Goodluck with med school. I heard Bangalore has some really good schools :thumbup:

rxgal8 said:

Goodluck with med school. I heard Bangalore has some really good schools :thumbup:

oops..sorry...yep, Bangalore does have some really good schools..and great nightlife :D

CaliAtenza said:
oops..sorry...yep, Bangalore does have some really good schools..and great nightlife :D
For med schools...maybe banglore is better but as far as fun n masti is concerned I think Bombay is the best n Goa too!!!! :cool: :cool:

parasiteatwork said:
For med schools...maybe banglore is better but as far as fun n masti is concerned I think Bombay is the best n Goa too!!!! :cool: :cool:

ahh u got me there though...yeah Goa and Bombay are the best...with i guess Blore being 3rd. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
CaliAtenza said:
ahh u got me there though...yeah Goa and Bombay are the best...with i guess Blore being 3rd. :)
yes but one thing that I hate about bombay is the humidity...thats there all the time.I have never been to banglore but i think its must be pleasant there!!! :p

rxgal8 said:

Hey hey hey............somebody is revealing my identity. j/k

parasiteatwork said:
yes but one thing that I hate about bombay is the humidity...thats there all the time.I have never been to banglore but i think its must be pleasant there!!! :p

oh it is..gets a bit hot sometimes..but very pleasant...great weather year round :)

HOT.....The whole of India gets baked every summer!!!!

why are you guys going to India for Med school? Are you sure you have exhausted all the opportunities to attend med school here in the states first?

AMMD said:
why are you guys going to India for Med school? Are you sure you have exhausted all the opportunities to attend med school here in the states first?

its not so much that we have exhausted every oppurtunity in the states, rather it takes to long in the states. you have do an undergraduate, then MCAT, then medschool along with boards. all these steps cause massive amounts of cash in total and close to 8-10 yrs of time. in india, u can skip undergraduate, the MCAT and go straight to med school. also it is much easier on the pocket in the long run.

Truth Betold said:
its not so much that we have exhausted every oppurtunity in the states, rather it takes to long in the states. you have do an undergraduate, then MCAT, then medschool along with boards. all these steps cause massive amounts of cash in total and close to 8-10 yrs of time. in india, u can skip undergraduate, the MCAT and go straight to med school. also it is much easier on the pocket in the long run.

^yeah..preety much what i was gonna say. Also, at least for me..college here is WAY TOO competitive...and everyone is preety much looking to screw everyone else over... :( .

^ And in India, there isn't a lot of backstabbing amongst classmates?

sunny123 said:
^ And in India, there isn't a lot of backstabbing amongst classmates?

no there is a lot of backstabbing in India... this includes NRI's and local students

Truth Betold!!! THANK U SO MUCH FOR THE INFO!!! :cool: But I'm probably still gonna end up going there though, because I just have to. I just have a few questions about SRMC.

The Grading System thing is astonishing, not in a good way obviously!! So if the prof doesn't like u for some reason, then he could just fail u, and u have to deal with it??? :eek:

Are the seniors willing to help u out when u ask for help? Or is some brown-nosing involved in the process? :)

/////-If a professor decides to pick on you in class or on rounds, you will have to swallow your pride, because if you respond back you can guarantee that you will be failed on purpose (this is a fact)./////
How do they ridicule a student. Like throwing things at them, or just insulting them by calling them stupid etc.

/////there are TV rooms which are not air conditioned and are very uncomfortable for one to watch TV//// I hear that u don't have time to watch TV's or do anything when ur doing medicine in India though. Isn't it always just study, study study? :scared:

/////-there are no co-ed dorms for any you that had other plans/////
awww... ;) just kidding. That's a given considering Indian Culture. :)

/////beside basketball and weight lifting there are no real outlets for NRI students on campus available on daily basis, so get ready to bored out of your mind(literally);/////

I hear that one doesn't have time to get bored, because they are bombarded with work though. Is that true? :scared:

What do u mean backstabbing? :scared:

Please answer these questions, I'm dying to know, it would help me a great deal when I do go. :)

Regards. :cool:

^ When Truth Betold says that you'll be picked on by the profs and ridiculed, he/she means that the prof will bring out his lathi and ask you to hold out your hand, and then the prof will proceed to call you a gadha, as you stand on one leg while holding your ears. It's nothing terrible at all.

sunny123 said:
^ When Truth Betold says that you'll be picked on by the profs and ridiculed, he/she means that the prof will bring out his lathi and ask you to hold out your hand, and then the prof will proceed to call you a gadha, as you stand on one leg while holding your ears. It's nothing terrible at all.
Smurf_laughs.gif
:laugh: :laugh:

"the prof will bring out his lathi and ask you to hold out your hand, and then the prof will proceed to call you a gadha"

:eek: I don't think they do that at univ. level...even in india...all that stops around 7th grade...coz then the guys are big enough to hit back...NOT KIDDING...it happens....
this stupid physics professor hit a guy and ridiculed him in 11th...the guy hit him back. ...and so hard that the prof. lost his head...!!..um...I mean his turban...That was bad...really bad...but we didn't like him much,,,

I think what one needs to be more careful of...rather than prof.'s is the student gangs...that's true for guys ofcourse...haven;t heard abt gal-gangs hanging out in colleges yet....But yeah...guy-gangs with a vengeance...for even small..stupid reasons(these could include parking at thier spot)...are extremely injurious to health!!
Seriously...see a few bollywood movies...its pretty similar...so you might want to brush up on ur singing/dancing skills...coz you'll be expected to break out into songs and dance around trees there... :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: I can't imagine a college prof doing that! :laugh:

ok harvard of India??? I think there are brokers for SRMC on this website. Please take their praise with a grain of salt. I had never heard of this med school before seeing this thread (but I am not from TN either). Best school in Chennai is Stanley isn't it? Anyway ...

as far as the "negative and subjective treatment" of students is concerned, this is a fact of life in the Indian medical system. But, do not stress too much about it. People who say they are failed just for looking funny at the prof usually are not the best of students. If you do what you are supposed to do, know what you are supposed to know, you will be fine. Just use common sense. Indian exams are wrote memorization ... if you can regurgitate the points the examiner asks, you will get good marks. Memorization at this level is different (most likely) from what you have done before. You can't spend the night before the exam memorizing and expect to do well. To memorize at this level require time. If you spend the time studying, you will do fine. I would also recommend reading Indian text books. US/British texts are great, but they will not point out what points you need to know for an Indian exam. Do well on your internal (sessional) exams. These are easier than your finals, and will give you a good reputation come exam time.

Don't talk back to Indian teachers. Be polite, say yes sir, no sir, thank you madame, etc. Stand up when you see them. It is much more regimental than in the US. Here, profs are your buddies, in India, remember teachers and parents earn the same level of respect ... even if they don't deserve it. Dress appropriately for class/clinics. I mean, these are little things that shouldn't matter, but do. But again, if you know your stuff cold, you will be fine. I found many americans who come to India end up enjoying life way too much. I mean, just keep in mind that this is medical school, and you will be fine. There is a negative stigma to NRIs studying in India from Indian faculty (probably not so much at this school which seems to cater to NRIs), so you overcome that by being as good a student as you can be (try to be above avg.) It's the same thing when you come back to the US. There is a stigma against foreign docs. You have to work a bit harder to overcome it, but it can be overcome.

Enjoy India!

retroviridae said:
ok harvard of India??? I think there are brokers for SRMC on this website. Please take their praise with a grain of salt. I had never heard of this med school before seeing this thread (but I am not from TN either). Best school in Chennai is Stanley isn't it? Anyway ...

as far as the "negative and subjective treatment" of students is concerned, this is a fact of life in the Indian medical system. But, do not stress too much about it. People who say they are failed just for looking funny at the prof usually are not the best of students. If you do what you are supposed to do, know what you are supposed to know, you will be fine. Just use common sense. Indian exams are wrote memorization ... if you can regurgitate the points the examiner asks, you will get good marks. Memorization at this level is different (most likely) from what you have done before. You can't spend the night before the exam memorizing and expect to do well. To memorize at this level require time. If you spend the time studying, you will do fine. I would also recommend reading Indian text books. US/British texts are great, but they will not point out what points you need to know for an Indian exam. Do well on your internal (sessional) exams. These are easier than your finals, and will give you a good reputation come exam time.

Don't talk back to Indian teachers. Be polite, say yes sir, no sir, thank you madame, etc. Stand up when you see them. It is much more regimental than in the US. Here, profs are your buddies, in India, remember teachers and parents earn the same level of respect ... even if they don't deserve it. Dress appropriately for class/clinics. I mean, these are little things that shouldn't matter, but do. But again, if you know your stuff cold, you will be fine. I found many americans who come to India end up enjoying life way too much. I mean, just keep in mind that this is medical school, and you will be fine. There is a negative stigma to NRIs studying in India from Indian faculty (probably not so much at this school which seems to cater to NRIs), so you overcome that by being as good a student as you can be (try to be above avg.) It's the same thing when you come back to the US. There is a stigma against foreign docs. You have to work a bit harder to overcome it, but it can be overcome.

Enjoy India!

for the most part retroviridae is right in terms about how things work in med school in india. i dont totally agree to of the things retroviridae says but it can be different slightly from college to college as my experiences are limited to SRMC. as for the quote ''Be polite, say yes sir, no sir, thank you madame, etc. Stand up when you see them. It is much more regimental than in the US. Here, profs are your buddies, in India, remember teachers and parents earn the same level of respect ... even if they don't deserve it." , it is the truth, but doesn't it strike anyone a bit over the top. my whole life i've been told respect is a 2 way street. the professors act like we owe them respect because they are tryin' to teach us medicine. F@$k that! all private colleges make you pay a lot of money for that education. if you paid for your education, you dont anyone anymore respect than u receive. every student who has attended med school in india from a foriegn nation realizes this. but why hasn't anybody done anything about this. simple, no one is willing to risk getting failed for speaking their mind(and by this, i dont mean throwing a temper tantrum, i mean voicing their perspective in a calm and proper way at the right time in private). if one fears to speak his/her mind due fear of consequence, then it fair to say that one has no rights.

as for the Harvard and SRMC connection, here's the real deal. SRMC is affliated with Harvard. to what extent this affliation is only god knows. i do know is Harvard and SRMC are trying to set up an exchange program for medical students. and during my stay at SRMC i did get to meet the principal of Harvard medical college as he and some of his affliates from boston came and visited SRMC

Suriya said:
Truth Betold!!! THANK U SO MUCH FOR THE INFO!!! cool But I'm probably still gonna end up going there though, because I just have to. I just have a few questions about SRMC.

The Grading System thing is astonishing, not in a good way obviously!! So if the prof doesn't like u for some reason, then he could just fail u, and u have to deal with it???

Are the seniors willing to help u out when u ask for help? Or is some brown-nosing involved in the process?

/////-If a professor decides to pick on you in class or on rounds, you will have to swallow your pride, because if you respond back you can guarantee that you will be failed on purpose (this is a fact)./////
How do they ridicule a student. Like throwing things at them, or just insulting them by calling them stupid etc.

/////there are TV rooms which are not air conditioned and are very uncomfortable for one to watch TV//// I hear that u don't have time to watch TV's or do anything when ur doing medicine in India though. Isn't it always just study, study study?

/////-there are no co-ed dorms for any you that had other plans/////
awww... just kidding. That's a given considering Indian Culture.

/////beside basketball and weight lifting there are no real outlets for NRI students on campus available on daily basis, so get ready to bored out of your mind(literally)/////

I hear that one doesn't have time to get bored, because they are bombarded with work though. Is that true?

What do u mean backstabbing?

Please answer these questions, I'm dying to know, it would help me a great deal when I do go.

Regards. cool

glad to be of help.
in regards to your questions
1. The Grading System thing is astonishing, not in a good way obviously!! So if the prof doesn't like u for some reason, then he could just fail u, and u have to deal with it??? :eek:
-yes this is true and in SRMC you can not do anything about it because it is a 'deemed college' meaning that it sets its own exams and grades them. as professor not liking u for some reason, your stay in SRMC will test your ability to kiss a$$ and stay low key & in good regards

2. Are the seniors willing to help u out when u ask for help? Or is some brown-nosing involved in the process? :)
- seniors are usually very nice and willing almost always to help out. if u are NRI, the NRI seniors will help u with no need of brown nosing. if u are a local student, the local seniors will help u as well, but u will need to call your seniors sir and maam accordingly

3. How do professors ridicule a student? Like throwing things at them, or just insulting them by calling them stupid etc.
- just insults basically.

4. I hear that one doesn't have time to get bored, because they are bombarded with work though. Is that true? :scared:
- this basically depends what kind of student you are. if you are the type of student that needs to study everyday for 'x' amount hours to complete your material in order to be ready for exam, then u wont have a lot of time. but if you are like me who tends cram the last couple of nights and that works better for u, then you will have more time. but regardless, first year of med school in india - some time off here and there in the first six months, the second six months there is no time off. second year and third year are cruise control- too much time off. final year there is no time off period.

5. What do u mean backstabbing? :scared:
- funny that u would ask this question. when i first got to med school in india i had heard stories of backstabbing but didn't believe them. i was like who does that kind of stuff. was i in for a surprise. when i say 'backstabbing' i mean following:
example - i went and asked another student for the portions i had to study for the upcoming internal exam. the student told study part A and part B in the book. i then proceeded to ask the student if we needed to study part C for the exam. the student told me not to waste my time because it wasn't on the exam. come exam day, i find exam loaded with questions about part C. the day results are posted i find that the student i had asked about what material to study had done well and i had failed. this is the type of backstabbing that goes on.

hope all of this information helps.

I dont know what other physicians would answer for this following question.

Change your life

If you are given a choice or power in your life abt anything you want to change your past? what would you do? Will you go to medschool again?

Ofcourse, i have alternative life choices like becoming a movie director or movie star. Will i consider going to medschool all over again? It is not a bad choice at all.
I would definately prefer to go to medschool all over again. and i will be a better medical student. I do regret for not being a greatest medical student in the past. Whenever, i think abt my medical student life i always regret for not using my time effectively and not acquiring my knowledge in full.

How would i be a better medical student which will make me a better doctor?

Pleasure or Pain in the ass

Folks, being a medstudent is a greatest gift and it is a great honor. Not all human beings become doctors. only the fortunate folks enter into medical school. Medical studies is one of the most interesting subject of all subjects.
Why do you guys have to memorize it or talking abt specific time period to read it? Do you think acquiring medical knowledge is a burden or some kinda duty?

Reading medicine is a pleasure. It is always a joy to read. Medical books can bring more pleasure than watching a good movie. or thriller.or a TV show. I did not have this attitude when i was a medical student. I deeply regret for not having this kinda attitude. That is the reason i am telling you guys who are just starting medschool.Please take this recommendation from me.

Human Anatomy
For example, take anatomy subject. How many people in the world have the oppurtunity to know abt their own body? More than 99% of the world population do not about their own body internal organs. Is it not fun to read about our body and how it works? Dont you think it is more fun to read about body than knowing abt inanimate objects like computers, astronomy, geology etc?

How would i read anatomy if i go to medschool again?
Cardivascular anatomy.
Even lay people talk about hearts. Heart is such an interesting organ. I will imagine like becoming an open heart surgeon and will read everything about heart with passion. When i am reading osteology will imagine like becoming an orthopedic surgeon and would like to know all about fractures and how bones break. what happens in the bone histology when femur breaks? It is just application of facts.

If you just think abt reading anatomy it is plain bore. Just add some imagination it would be great fun. at the same time read about some comparitive anatomy. If a human anatomy is like this what would be the elephant anatomy? just think!. I am not asking you to read vet anatomy. just be curious. It could help you in research.

The same priciple stands for other subjects too. Man! Physiology is more interesting than sex. Is there any subject in the world more interesting than neurophysiology and cardiovascular physiology?

Other clinical subjects are more interesting than basic subjects.
Name any subjects which is not interesting. I agree biochemistry is boring.You need some memorizing. other than that every damn medical subject is interesting. you name it.
Paediatrics.
Rheumatology.
Vasular surgery.
even virology.
your life time is not adequate to read all subjects. That is the reason we specialize and sub-specialize.

Let me tell you how i motivated myself during my medschool. I was always a loner. You guys know how things work in india. Right?
I never had girl friends during medschool. Instead, i made my medical text books as my girl friends.

Girl friends

I gave imaginary names to my books like 'rekha' to pathology, 'anjali' to pharmacology, 'anu' to surgey book etc.I imagined like spending each day with each girl friend with given appointments. I always romanced with each of them all night long. I always loved buying virgin text books and deflowering them. I abused my medical text books.I enjoyed them. i always burnt midnight oil with my girlfriends.
Everyone had styles in reading. that was my style.
different strokes for different folks.

Knowledge is Power

Never read a medical book for just passing the test and then forgetting it. It is a waste of time. I would instead fail in a test.
Read it for knowledge. Read it with passion. Who told medical students are not respected.? Not only in india. Not only in Australia. Anywhere in the world. Knowledge command respect.

It does not matter who authored a text book. Medicine is universal. Can an american change the facts of human anatomy? Some brit books are extremely good. for ex. davidson text book of medicine. If you want to pass USMLE with good scores stick with american books from the beginining.

Foriegn Medical Graduates

Dont believe if someone says FMGs cannot go anywhere. They are always treated like second class citizens. It is true. You can achieve whatever you want if you are extraordinary.
I know a FMG from madras (not even an american citizen) who got into general surgical resideny in cleveland clinic who followed CT surgery and has become a director of CV surgery. This may be an exceptional case. The point is nothing is impossible.

Back Stabbing

Back stabbing is a rule in all fiercely competitive field like film industry, business and also medical field. you will realize this later in your life. Your best friend in medschool becomes your competitor in your profession if you enter the same field like surgery. You can see this in any country.

Your best friend and partner in anatomy class will compete with you for postgrad seat in india or residency in america. He will compete with you for job. He will compete with you for fellowship spot.He will start his practice next to you in the same street or town. He will be luring away your patients.
When you are above to become the chairman you will see your best friend in medschool is the sole competitor for you for that one coveted job you always wanted. it happens.

I have seen best friends in medschool who have turned into worst enemies. It is all part of the game. Some smart people start to play the game very early.

Good luck guys. :)

Very inspirational and motivating, NYer :)
(finals week is coming up)

what NYer said is wonderful and all, but for those of us that live in real world think again. the guy gave his med books names of girls. who does that sh-t? maybe he made love to them too and now the pages stuck together. for the most part in my opinion its bunch of flowery b.s.

Truth Betold said:
no there is a lot of backstabbing in India... this includes NRI's and local students
???????

Thanks truth!! :thumbup: :) If u don't mind me asking, how did u apply? Some ppl are telling my that they fax'ed their info to someone in SRMC, but other are telling me that they went there and paid the sum to get in. Also, the warnings were very helpful! Isn't the final year the year u get some expierence etc? Again, thank you so mcuh taht really helped a lot!! :)

Truth Betold said:
what NYer said is wonderful and all, but for those of us that live in real world think again. the guy gave his med books names of girls. who does that sh-t? maybe he made love to them too and now the pages stuck together. for the most part in my opinion its bunch of flowery b.s.

Some Truth Nottobetold.

rxgal8 said:
Very inspirational and motivating, NYer :)
(finals week is coming up)

Thanks rxgal.
Do you want any BF name suggestions for your Goodman & Gillman? ;)

newyorker said:
Thanks rxgal.
Do you want any BF name suggestions for your Goodman & Gillman? ;)
hahahaha... :laugh:
I think I will continue to call Goodman & Gilman by their real names, same goes with Dipiro, etc. Thanks for the offer though :D

rxgal8 said:
hahahaha... :laugh:
I think I will continue to call Goodman & Gilman by their real names, same goes with Dipiro, etc. Thanks for the offer though :D

just a quick question..do u by any chacne drive a RX8??..cause ur username would sorta give it away if ya did :D

newyorker said:

Some Truth Nottobetold.

real original....find it hard to believe that was the best u could do, considering all the names u must handed out for your text books

CaliAtenza said:
just a quick question..do u by any chacne drive a RX8??..cause ur username would sorta give it away if ya did :D
lol..no i dont. is that an acura :confused:
rx stands for pharmacy and #8 is just random (no reason behind that) :p
hey do u go to UCI? i graduated 2004 in bio.

rxgal8 said:
lol..no i dont. is that an acura :confused:
rx stands for pharmacy and #8 is just random (no reason behind that) :p
hey do u go to UCI? i graduated 2004 in bio.

oh ok..yeah i go to UCI..and no its not an acura, its a Mazda :)

CaliAtenza said:
oh ok..yeah i go to UCI..and no its not an acura, its a Mazda :)
My guess was pretty close...actually maybe not :laugh:
Have you developed science-library-phobia yet?

rxgal8 said:
My guess was pretty close...actually maybe not :laugh:
Have you developed science-library-phobia yet?

hahah..yeah somewhat..actually im leaving UCI this year, to go to school in india...so i wont be around for much longer around these parts, lol

CaliAtenza said:
hahah..yeah somewhat..actually im leaving UCI this year, to go to school in india...so i wont be around for much longer around these parts, lol
oh k...well, all the best :luck:

I wanted to address some issues that Truth BeTold has brought up to our attention. I am actually a first year MBBS student here at SRMC -- soo i wanted to give my insight on what life is really like here...

OK first off

1. Backstabbing ?
Truthbetold... are you a f*ckin idiot.. dude lets be honest -- would you really rely on one person to get the portions for an internal.... no you must be a f*ckin idiot cause you didnt go to class and find out what the hell you were studying for the past month. MAN - its no surprise what will be coming on the internals because its the material that is covered in class -- moreso departments usually post up possible questions before the exam SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON.... and of course lets be fair there are those bastards that will give you wrong info just to mess with you-- and in all honesty.. they expect you to figure it out that their just messin with you.. but dude.. backstabbing.. welcome to life man.. it happens all the time.. its not only india --- and seniors are more then there for you to help you pass - the last thing they want to see is you failing

2. Mean grouch professors?
haha you swear all the profs here are senile-- sure of course you got the hard asses who want to shape you up and YES they will pick on you.. but lets be more specific..everytime a prof would pick on a student -- everytime in my class at least -- that kid would be doign soemthing stupid like texting or talking... and guess what the teacher wouldnt even start on the hard questions.. he would tell that student to stand up and simply say "what did I JUST say" -- if you want to talk back to that -- you dont have the respect and discipline to be in medical college...
And sure there are a few profs who are out to get you... but the majority of your time is spent with post graduates (classroom assistants) and they are always there to help you.. shoot i even was able to copy class notes from one of them no questions asked. By far you will find more support then criticisms if you are humble and approach appropriately.

3. Grading system
Personally when i first found out about the grading system ... shoot i was ecstatic... 50 percent no sweat. Then i heard how they grade and i became skeptical. But here is the truth -- of course in theory the highest score you can achieve is about 83 percent on an exam.... but what you have to understand is that SRMC like most med schools is pass/fail based.. so your goal is to cross 50. And of course -- no matter how beautiful or perfect you "thought" you wrote your paper they will never give you full marks that is they will give 4 or 4.5 out of 5 for a question.. and here is the logic if YOU regergitated the book... you didnt do anything great.. f*ck even a parrot can do that.. very few maybe one or two in a batch of 150 will actually take the time to open up Guyton or some heavy duty medical book and really try to understand a concept and write more then what is required
Furthermore.. these internals at the end of the day mean ****.... of course you should pass your share and the marks you get are negligble.... BUT what TRUTHbetold is not telling you is the hard grading for the internals is there to toughin you up for the universities (finals - end year exams)... and what he fails to mention is that grading for the finals is much more lax and lenient. Soo if we consider these internal exams to be practice exams.. of course the college wont give you excessive confidence and make you think you are perfect --- you can always strive to be better.. and thats what that 4.5 out of 5 means --- because you can get 5 on 5 on a question in the finals.

4. Lets Get Crunk.....
Social life? hmm there is a city.... there are people ready to mingle... there are beach parties.. or were you too cooped up in your room with no friends to realize all this? hmm intersting... There are quite a few places to hang out -- and there are damn chill people in the city -- and truly it comes down to the person you are.. If you are outgoing and frank, you will meet great people and always find something to do... if your an introvert .. then i hope you enjoy physiology cause thats the only damn book you will be reading.
Hostel life gets a lil boring -- of course... your in india... the comparison cant be met by a typical United States college -- because there the social scene is much more intense.. from frats, the clubs etc. So if you are expecting that.. defintely... thats not going to happen here.. but that is not to say you cannot make do-- there are plenty of opportunities to chill and hang out.. but remember the reason you decided to come to india first? to study and be a damn good doctor... the resources here... u sure as hell didnt come here to party.. cause if you did.. you would suck it up - go to a 4 year college - find a way to ace the MCATs and get into a damn good medical college....
One last thing-- i went to a university back in the states and i have to say.. i am quite happy that i dont have the distractions i did back then.. haha as any engineering student in the states will tell you -- Counterstrike over the university LAN is f*ckin crack cocaine... and god knows how many students dont attend class let alone drop out cause of having broadband internet.... ahh and the frat parties ah tho enjoyable can truly put a drain as well.... as what i am sayin here is you got positives and negatives and AGAIN as anything in life you make what you have and you make do with your resources - you dont bitch, you suck it up.

-----------
Again - for those interested in SRMC - i recommend people to talk to more people who currently go the college.. and for students and parents interested in SRMC please respond and address yoru concerns....

i am out... pEACE