Any EM DOs heard about these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Doc B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to read more about these two programs but their websites either don't work or aren't available...

1) Mount Sinai Medical Center & Miami Heart Institute (Miami, FL)
2) Arrowhead Regional Medical Center (Colton, CA)

I've tried the links provided through the AAEM website and by going to NSU and COMP's webpage links and I still haven't found anymore info.

If you have different links than the ones I've already tried, please post them so that I can read a little more about them.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That generally is not a good sign...I thought I heard that the miami site closed. Regardless, if it is that difficult to find info, I certainly can't recommend spending at least 3 years at that residency. As far as choosing an EM residency, you should really choose an established one, whether that be DO or MD.

My humble experiences with these two programs...

Mt Sinai - I know a doctor that graduated from this program. Great physician, very confident, funny, down to earth, great under pressure, works fast, handles a multitude of personalities well, and excellent teacher. This guy was in the process of moving back to Miami to help out with the program as of December. He says that the Mt Sinai PD is the kind of person that will not let the program go under. It is my understanding that they were losing one of their training sites, not their accredidation. The director is busy working to correct the problem. The word on SDN is that they are at risk of losing their accredidation. Not one person on SDN has spoken to deny these claims, so I dont know whats up with that. Anyone else know what is going on there?

Arrowhead - I have a friend that interviewed @ a number of MD and DO programs including Arrowhead. He speaks very highly of the program there. He speaks even more highly of Dr Minahan, the PD... says that he is the most student friendly PD he had come into contact with. I emailed the hospital to get a EM residency brochure. They redirected me to Minahan, who wrote "just call my cell phone and I will try to answer any questions you might have." We talked for a good 45 minutes about their program. I was impressed that he would take that much time to talk to a 3rd year medical student personally. I believe he would have done it for a pre-med, he just seems like that kind of person. He is certainly student friendly, honest, down to earth and optimistic about their program. He is a graduate of CCOM EM residency. The program is definately in its infancy, should be interesting to see how it turns out. Arrowhead is the old San Bernardino County Hospital. Many spanish speaking patients, plenty of trauma, ...it seems their only weakness is peds EM, which they are working to find a good peds EM rotation for their residents. They started the program in 2003, so I am sure it will have its growing pains. Right now, they are not guarenteeing their one year EM focused internship spots direct admission into their 3 year residency program. So you may get accepted into their internship.... but you have no guarentees of moving on. 2 of the 4 interns from this year are going to other DO EM programs. May be a red flag, certainly one of the complaints of my 4th year friend. He decided not to risk the MD match and went forward with the DO match...using MD match as a fall back plan. He matched @ Lehigh Valley and will start this summer. But he recommended over and over to do a rotation @ Arrowhead and check it out.

Hope this helps. I know its a lot of hear-say. But sometimes thats all you have to go on, in this whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you for your advice and info! I'll keep my ear to the ground and see how both of these residencies look when I need to decide in a couple years.

Thanks again for all your help.

Future Doc B said:
Thanks to both of you for your advice and info! I'll keep my ear to the ground and see how both of these residencies look when I need to decide in a couple years.

Thanks again for all your help.

I'm currently a fourth year at NSUCOM; here's what I know. The EM program is headquartered at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami. The Miami Heart Institute is not an integral part of that program and is, as you have accurately heard, closing down. I believe MSMC's plans for that site are a rehab hospital or some sort. The EM program at Mount Sinai has a strong track record of turning out excellent and capable docs. Many of them work at Broward General Medical Center, a Level I referral facility just to the north. The program, without question has undergone some changes recently. EM group leadership has changed at some of the MSMC affiliate hospitals and some ER rotations are now being done at Jackson Memorial Hosp in Miami. This is both a benefit and a detractor. Some residents like JMH because of the pathology and patient census. Unfortunately, the JMH ER is run like a subspecialty clinic with trauma being a completely separate entity. The MSMC residents do three months of trauma at Ryder Trauma Center, one of the busiest in the nation. Peds EM is still done at Miami Children's. Also, the former program director is serving in Iraq with Enduring Freedom. One of the program's grads, Dr. Cesar Carralero, is serving as interim. For more information, try to go to the source. I don't know Dr. David Lang's email by heart, but he is the osteopathic director of GME at MSMC and the EM program's associate residency director. If you contact Steve Paredes, the current NSUCOM EMS club president, he can give you accurate contact information. Your best bet in seeking up to date info about their program is to go through David Lang... he's on the current Florida College of Emergency Physicians Board of Directors and has been through nearly all of the program's changes. Good luck. Feel free to PM me for more. Good luck.

-Ben

Steve Paredes' email: [email protected]

Thanks for setting them straight, Ben. Ben Lawner is a past president of the NSUCOM Emergency Medicine Society, and a great resource of opinion on EM programs. The information you get from local med students, interns, residents, etc. is of great value when researching programs, as you may otherwise be getting information from a friend of a friend who roomed with a guy who applied there. The local view is much clearer.

The MSMC EM residency is a great program, one that grows more competitive every year. It is the only DO program in Florida, and the only EM residency (DO or MD) south of UF (central Florida). The program recently lost a few rotation sites (due to hospital contract negotiations that had nothing to do with the program itself), which it has replaced with Jackson Memorial Hospital (a great training ground). As Ben said, Peds is still at Miami Children's Hospital. Trust me, this program is not in any danger of losing its accreditation; this is just a rumor that started when the rotation sites changed. Dr. Lisa DeWitt, DO (program director) is due back from Iraq very soon, and will be taking over her responsibilities again. Dr. David Lang, DO (davidmlang ^ msn ^ com) is the chief of EM at MSMC, and is a great contact for the program. The faculty at this program is top-notch, and the quality of education you get here will prepare you for any ER in the country.

Steve Paredes
Co-President, NSUCOM Emergency Medicine Society
[email protected]

I rotated at Arrowhead.

Great ED. Lots of TRAUMA (penetrating). Lots of life flights. Lots of stuff. I got to put in a chest tube as a student, intubate, suture like crazy, etc.

Drawbacks,

1. Not all faculty dedicated to teaching. However, they are either really not interested or are really super gung ho like "get here and put this chest tube in." Staff are for the most part really nice.

2. Only 3 new EM residents I met. Not much didactics. In fact, very little. One resident told me, "there's only so much didactics can teach you, I prefer to read Tint."

3. EM candidates are selected from the transitional internship pool at Arrowhead (Per Minahan) himself. I truly feel sorry for all interns as Arrowhead is the hell of all hells for interns. Scutwork, and malignant attending of various service abound. Not to mention, you will never ever see day light again for 1 year if you do internship there.

4. Not a very family oriented program. (Above)

5. Colton is the crotch of the San Bernardino valley. San Bernardino is the armpit of California.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. It is much appreciated. :thumbup:

Aloha Kid said:
I rotated at Arrowhead.

Great ED. Lots of TRAUMA (penetrating). Lots of life flights. Lots of stuff. I got to put in a chest tube as a student, intubate, suture like crazy, etc.

Drawbacks,

1. Not all faculty dedicated to teaching. However, they are either really not interested or are really super gung ho like "get here and put this chest tube in." Staff are for the most part really nice.

2. Only 3 new EM residents I met. Not much didactics. In fact, very little. One resident told me, "there's only so much didactics can teach you, I prefer to read Tint."

3. EM candidates are selected from the transitional internship pool at Arrowhead (Per Minahan) himself. I truly feel sorry for all interns as Arrowhead is the hell of all hells for interns. Scutwork, and malignant attending of various service abound. Not to mention, you will never ever see day light again for 1 year if you do internship there.

4. Not a very family oriented program. (Above)

5. Colton is the crotch of the San Bernardino valley. San Bernardino is the armpit of California.

is arrowhead internship truly that bad??!?!??!?!?!

Thanks for all info already, you guys have been really helpful...

2 questions:

1) Is it a necessity that you do your internship at Arrowhead to get into the EM program?

2) Which one offers a better elective for students?

Im starting med school this coming august, and I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how I could start to really make myself a competitve EM residency applicant from day one? Thanks

In my honest opinion, to be competitive...

1. Do well in your basic science classes. Understand the mechanisms and the theories behind everything.

2. Doing well in your basic science classes will prepare you for the COMLEX. Score as high as possible on the COMLEX. Scoring high will have more doors open to you than scoring low.

3. Do well in your 3rd year clerkships.

It all stems from day one. Good luck and have fun with Dr. Hada in microbiology. He likes to shoot students down with his test.

joaquin13 said:
is arrowhead internship truly that bad??!?!??!?!?!

Internship at Arrowhead is not bad. Its all hands on. They don't teach very much. Scutwork is kept to a min by a fantastic ancillary staff. You average apx--65hrs/wk. Did I mention that didactics suck? You need to be a self starter and a person who doesn't mind reading about things outside work. Good part about it is you get a ton of autonomy to do what you want. TONS of procedures (my friggin 3rd year medstudent had more chest tubes than I did). The attendings... They don't teach. THE ATTENDINGS ARE NOT MALIGNANT. These guys are VERY freaking approachable. Nice as hell... They just don't teach. And yes, you will get the feeling, a very strong one, that you are just there to move the meat. And depending on the rotation you may or may not be correct.

Their EM program is new. This means that it has problems:
1. Attendings kind of teach... Sort of... At times. Maybe. If the moon is right.
2. Rotations aren't squared away, ie. no set peds em/ems rotation but its being worked on.
3. Research??? What is that? Do people read that stuff? Not too sure...
4. Selection process blows. Need to do your internship there to get a slot. So if you bust your a$$ for a year and no dice in the end... Well that sucks.
5. Friggin anesthesia comes down on the really sick traumas and may or may not let you tube. Thats if the CRNA-students don't get it first--SUX!

But the goods are:
1. It has BY FAR THE FREAKING BEST didactics of any of the programs in the hospital (not saying too much).
2. Pathology is good. Lots of sickies.
3. Lots of penetrating traumas (trauma surg runs traumas, but good relationship, they let you play and do lines).
4. Procedures procedures procedures.
5. GREAT ancillary staff.
6. 16 12 hour shifts/month as an R2. Are you kidding me?!?!
7. Residents AND attendings very mellow and chill.
8. Its in friggin So. Cal.

Good luck,
FG

On the same subject, have any of you guys heard about the program related to UMDNJ in Stratford? It seems like it has been around for a while but nobody seems to talk about it. Is it quality (for a DO program?)? How are the interns treated etc.

Thanks,

BMW-

Future Doc B said:
I'd like to read more about these two programs but their websites either don't work or aren't available...

1) Mount Sinai Medical Center & Miami Heart Institute (Miami, FL)
2) Arrowhead Regional Medical Center (Colton, CA)

I've tried the links provided through the AAEM website and by going to NSU and COMP's webpage links and I still haven't found anymore info.

If you have different links than the ones I've already tried, please post them so that I can read a little more about them.

Thanks