DO friendly Orthopedic Surgery Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jug27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about any DO friendly allopathic orthopedic surgery residencies? If i wanna go into orthopedic surgery/sports medicine...does it matter if i do an allopathic or osteopathic residency? I know its a very very competitive residency to get into. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

as far as i know, you need to match allopathic. if your boards and grades are top notch, then go for it! a doc is a doc is a doc...

Jug27 said:
Does anyone know about any DO friendly allopathic orthopedic surgery residencies? If i wanna go into orthopedic surgery/sports medicine...does it matter if i do an allopathic or osteopathic residency? I know its a very very competitive residency to get into. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
docmz said:
as far as i know, you need to match allopathic. if your boards and grades are top notch, then go for it! a doc is a doc is a doc...

I'd apply to both AOA and ACGME residencies to be safe. The only way you can do an osteopathic sports medicine fellowship is to be AOA certified anyway.

osteo sports medicine fellowships are not something that an orthopod would be seeking. they are for the fp

we just had one of our female students from TCOM mach into the UTMB (Galveston) ortho program

Coach said:
osteo sports medicine fellowships are not something that an orthopod would be seeking. they are for the fp

"So a family doctor can get additional training by doing a "sports medicine fellowship." But what about the orthopedic surgeon? Do such fellowships exist for them?

A doctor who completes an orthopedic surgery residency may also do a surgical sports medicine fellowship, which lasts anywhere from 12-24 months. Such fellowships allow the doctor to gain more experience in surgical techniques for a variety of sports injuries. However, some orthopedic surgeons elect to do a fellowship in a specific joint, such as a "shoulder fellowship." Obviously, there can be quite a bit of overlap as to who would be the ideal surgeon to treat specific sports injuries. Your primary care sports medicine doctor can often be an excellent source of information regarding surgeon recommendations."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship is for FP, EM, IM, and Peds.

don't forget that there are a fair number of AOA ortho residencies. ortho is one of those things where its extremely difficult for a DO to match into an ACGME program, yet its not at all impossible for a DO to become an orthopod. its basically the same with oto/facial plastics and maybe derm, you'll very rarely see a DO match into an allo program, but if they really want it, there are fair numbers of AOA programs. its still extremely competetive no matter how you look at it. but neuro, ophtho, rad. onc, uro - different story.

PublicEnemy said:
don't forget that there are a fair number of AOA ortho residencies. .

Not really, I think there is only like 200 funded AOA ortho spots

200 spots seems kinda high.....

DrMom posted on another thread about the number of spots being for all 4 years of the program, so the numbers per year are 25%. Also, approved vs. funded is a different story.

Edit:
Here is the link for Osteo Residency. There are 29 osteo orthopedic programs listed.

OrthoFixation said:
DrMom posted on another thread about the number of spots being for all 4 years of the program, so the numbers per year are 25%. Also, approved vs. funded is a different story.

Edit:
Here is the link for Osteo Residency. There are 29 osteo orthopedic programs listed.

Point is there are very few, not a "fair number" right?

medic170 said:

well, its certainly a significantly larger number when compared to the number of DO's that succesfully match in an allo ortho program. and that was the point i was making. i would definitely say there are a "fair number" of AOA ortho spots compared to AOA programs in ophtho (3 or 4 tops), uro (none), integrated plastics (none), neurosurgery, neuro, pathology (all none). even compared to anesthesiology, diagnostic radiology, and general surgery, the actual number of AOA programs is ortho is definitely a "fair number". the more astute observation is that there just aren't that many AOA specialty programs.

ortho is one of the specialties that AOA even has a handful of programs for, and almost disparately so. in that respect, its much more possible for a DO to become an orthopod then say a neurosurgeon, a radiation oncologist, integrated plastics, ophthomologist etc. yet, for an MD those specialties are essentially equally difficult. again, thats the point i was trying to make.

in fact, if you want to go with the logic you're using, there are only 589 spots total for allo. so there isn't a high number no matter how you look at it.

medic170 said:

I'm thinking there are a "fair number" but one would have to compare the number of DO funded spots : DO students vs. number of MD funded spots : MD students to get any kind of reasonable comparison. Given that OMS with great numbers can get into allo ortho programs, I'd say that the ortho option looks pretty good.

PublicEnemy makes some very good points. If your chasing competitive allo dominant specialties, you better work you butt off in school to make the cut.

according to the Nov. JAOA (the med ed issue) - there are 29 ortho programs with 292 positions. a quick review of the opportunities database lists 25 programs (all but 7 are in either MI, OH, or PA).

TCOM-2006 said:
we just had one of our female students from TCOM mach into the UTMB (Galveston) ortho program

Congrats to your classmate at TCOM. Matching allopathic for ortho is an awesome thing for a DO student let alone just matching ortho for any medical student! We had a classmate who matched to UMDNJ for ortho this year... talk about exciting!