Matching into Orthopedic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realtalk15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently enrolled in a new D.O. school and I’m hoping to have 8+ publications by the time I graduate medical school. I have a couple years of experience in intraoperative neuromonitoring where I worked with orthopedic surgeons in spine cases. I had a few questions for you guys:

1) how important are preclinical grades?
2) Is a research year necessary?
3) any advice to make myself competitive?
4) When should I be reaching out to other institutions to schedule away rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There have been popular and very insightful threads put together by other users such as this recent one:

It would be good to invest some time to search this forum for similar ones and read through them.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean about the 8 publications? Are they already in the works because that is much easier said than done if not

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that board scores are P/F, our program is looking at preclinical GPA to screen/evaluate rotation applicants. As you can imagine, applicant numbers have increased exponentially since applicants are no longer self selecting out.

Research is helpful, but your audition rotation will always be the most important. Lots of prior threads on how to be a good rotator.

My recommendation is to rotate at prior DO programs. Reach out to the program coordinators around xmas of 3rd year to find out when/how you can apply (unless its on the program website).

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Now that board scores are P/F, our program is looking at preclinical GPA to screen/evaluate rotation applicants.
How do you compare students with a graded pre-clinical curriculum to pass/fall?

There have been popular and very insightful threads put together by other users such as this recent one:

It would be good to invest some time to search this forum for similar ones and read through them.
I should have done that before creating a new thread. Thank you for the lead

What do you mean about the 8 publications? Are they already in the works because that is much easier said than done if not
I have three in the works so far. I have a faculty member assigned to me who gets me in touch with collaborators at his previous institution to work on research projects, so I have been very fortunate.

I’m currently enrolled in a new D.O. school and I’m hoping to have 8+ publications by the time I graduate medical school. I have a couple years of experience in intraoperative neuromonitoring where I worked with orthopedic surgeons in spine cases. I had a few questions for you guys:

1) how important are preclinical grades?
2) Is a research necessary?
3) any advice to make myself competitive?
4) When should I be reaching out to other institutions to schedule away rotations?
I’m a DO that just matched ortho this year. Feel free to DM me. But to answer your questions

1. With P/F boards they are more important now, but not nearly as important as research and you audition rotation

2. Yes, don’t really need a research year but have your name on some publication

3. Pump out research, crush step/level 2, do as many auditions as you can.

4. I started Oct of 3rd year. Had almost all set up by Feb of 3rd year

Reactions: 1 users
How do you compare students with a graded pre-clinical curriculum to pass/fall?
Hard to compare honestly. Currently, someone with high grades in a graded curriculum has the advantage. We also look at CV, how they treat our coordinator, and if we know them, but there isnt much evaluate. Lots of of people with “pass” and unimpressive CV’s (like most of us had).

It used to be boards get you in the door and rotation/personality get you the spot. I’m sure programs will find a new system but this definitely shook it up.

What does "crush Step 2" score equates to in your opinion for ortho?
The match data from 2023 (Texas Star) in regards to orthopedic surgery says the average step 2/comlex 2 for an interview invite was 259/678 respectively. The average orthopedic match had a 257 and 675. That should be a good reference point for you.