Albert Einstein Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
since nobody's started this yet... i figured i might as well! who's in?

Members don't see this ad.

myodana said:
since nobody's started this yet... i figured i might as well! who's in?

I can't believe its taken this long for someone to start this! I am currently about 50% sure I will go to einstein (I have a really tough choice to make between essentially cost and location). Good luck to all!

Good chance I will end up there this fall and extremely excited about it! Any of you guys planning on taking a second look at the school anytime soon?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am definitely going back to check it out (but i'm definitely going either way). one of my closest friends is currently a 3rd year, so hopefully i can get a little personalized tour.

Yeah i have two friends there myself, both of whom are first years. All I have been getting is really positive feedback which makes me that much more enthusiastic about attending in the fall. I heard that this year's match was pretty nuts too...

When I stayed over with a student prior to my interview last Fall, I absolutely loved the school. Like a few people here, I am seriously considering Einstein, but am still waiting on other factors (mainly cost), and so am about 50% sure about going there.

Has there been any word about housing? Does anyone know if there is an official second look weekend? Maybe I missed an email or notice about the second look.

Around 75% sure I'm heading to Einstein, pending waitlists for my state schools. So where's everyone from? I'm from California. Gonna be a big change, but does sound exciting. I'm waiting on housing too. Don't want to be stuck in the apartments away from the main ones, like some had to go through last year.

I'm 85% sure I will be there next fall, pending one waitlist which I probably won't take over AECOM anyway.. I was at second look for the MST program a couple weeks ago. I like it.

Uegis said:
Around 75% sure I'm heading to Einstein, pending waitlists for my state schools. So where's everyone from? I'm from California. Gonna be a big change, but does sound exciting. I'm waiting on housing too. Don't want to be stuck in the apartments away from the main ones, like some had to go through last year.

Currently I'm a Texas resident and the cost of the state school is the major strength to staying here. However, i was born and raised in the NYC, so I strongly desire to return......

Hi from Florida.....I am fairly sure I'll end up there next year also. Just waiting on the state schools but really have a desire to get out and in all my interviews Einstein seems like the perfect place to do so. Thanks for starting this thread by the way. It'll help as time comes closer to making the decision for me and I am sure others too. One thing I've noticed from most students at Einstein is the camaraderie between them and I have also been able to see in the students who have been accepted to Einstein. Looks to me like eventhough their interview day was weak as far as orientation they do a good job at seeking out students who are academically qualified but are also down to earth. All in all seems to be a great place to learn. Well hopefully there will be more to come from everyone and the Bronx will be our new home come Aug. '05.

See you all later,

ST

Did everyone get the email with the 2005 Match List? Pretty impressive, but seems like most people matched back in NY, especially in the more competitive residencies. I'm a bit concerned as I want to move back to CA for my post-graduate training. Nonetheless, students matched into some excellent programs. Now where is my fin aid package and housing info?!

Hey, I just saw the 2005 match and I was completely blown away. Three to radiation onc and matching neurosurgery at Yale is pretty ridiculous. Needless to say, seeing the list has got me really excited about AECOM. And Uegis, what specialties are you considering b/c it seemed to me like there was a fair amount of matches out west in some of the big fields. I think the reason that matches were so skewed with respect to NYC hospitals is that most of the students from AECOM are from the surrounding tristate area, but I could be wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, on second look, there are a lot of matches in California to some good programs like UCLA and UCSF in internal medicine. I don't know what I want to do yet, but do know I want to go back to California to practice. There was one match for rad onc USC. Sweet! I can't wait to meet all of you guys. Hopefully we'll be able to find each other amongst the huge class.

Uegis, I actually spoke to one of the women in the admissions office about why so many of the students match in and around NY...and she said that I have to remember that a lot of them are from there...You see, I'm from florida but probably would want to match up north as well (I think that I'll be more interested in location than prestige when the time comes, thoguh both would be nice lol!)...Anyway, just a thought...

Thanks for the insight Sasha. It's true that a lot of people are from NY , but a huge majority of them are also from CA. My tourguides, both from CA, said that NY and CA competes for representation in the class each year, jokingly of course, haha. I am still leaning towards Einstein, but Rochester has been real good to me recently too. Decisions decisions.

bumpity bump

I'm between my state school and Einstein--probably leaning towards Einstein because I'm looking for a change of scenery (not that the bronx offers the nicest, but what can you do?), but also waiting on money/housing/etc.

I want to hear everyone's thoughts on the location--anyone have a chance to look around the neighborhood outside of the campus? I've heard rumors of a Barnes and Nobles but have yet to acutally see it. :)

HrsNJ said:
I'm between my state school and Einstein--probably leaning towards Einstein because I'm looking for a change of scenery (not that the bronx offers the nicest, but what can you do?), but also waiting on money/housing/etc.

I want to hear everyone's thoughts on the location--anyone have a chance to look around the neighborhood outside of the campus? I've heard rumors of a Barnes and Nobles but have yet to acutally see it. :)

I am in the same boat. Only my state school is a bit south of yours. It would be such a big move, but I'd like to get back to the tri state area. Does anyone know how many students receive the scholarships that were mentioned in the most recent email from the financial aide guy? Money is definitely a huge factor for me. Also, if anyone does some recon around the school I would love info on what is around. Good luck to everyone!!

jdovez said:
Does anyone know how many students receive the scholarships that were mentioned in the most recent email from the financial aide guy?

Uh-oh, did I miss something? Could someone PM me the email that jdovez mentioned? I haven't received an email from Einstein except for the one from Ms. Kerrigan this Tuesday. Thanks!

Is there really a Barnes and Noble nearby the school? Are there any grocery stores (not convenience stores) nearby, too? (Not convenience stores.) I heard people would need to drive out 15 minutes or so to get groceries.

oniwindu said:
Uh-oh, did I miss something? Could someone PM me the email that jdovez mentioned? I haven't received an email from Einstein except for the one from Ms. Kerrigan this Tuesday. Thanks!

Is there really a Barnes and Noble nearby the school? Are there any grocery stores (not convenience stores) nearby, too? (Not convenience stores.) I heard people would need to drive out 15 minutes or so to get groceries.

They pick who can apply to the scholarships. I didn't get the email either. I was wondering the same thing about the B and N. I heard its pretty far away, even by bus. And its not in the safest place at night. This is from the aecommunity website ( www.aecommunity.com ).

I got a regular mail about financial need scholarships going up in cost but did not get this most recent email. Can someone post it? Also, I've heard the grocery story is walking distance but you'd have to make a few trips because you can't really CARRY all your groceries lol! (wheeling suitcase anyone? ;))....but I live in the BNs here at home and hope that the one there is a decent bus ride away...I'll be ALL over that! :)

Yea, for the financial need, the most they give is 2500, which isnt much at all considering that tuition is so high. At least they offer loans, but I wonder what the interest are on them and if they are subsidized.

Does anyone know how roommates are chosen yet? I have some weird habits so I want to make sure I am compatible with who I live with.

the1111gal said:
haha sorry thats just scary ;)

Haha, about the weird habits?

They're not that weird. Just that I shower in the morning in addition to at night and some people dont like that. And also, I'm a clean freak. I can't even stand water next to the sink. I guess they are more pet peeves than weird habits.

lol my current roommate actually showers both times...and we live in the same ROOM bc its a college dorm...ive gotten used to it ;)

better to shower 2x a day than not at all!!! i've been known to do 3x a day during the hottest parts of the summer when i lived without AC. it was much cooler and more comfortable to be damp :) :cool:

myodana said:
better to shower 2x a day than not at all!!! i've been known to do 3x a day during the hottest parts of the summer when i lived without AC. it was much cooler and more comfortable to be damp :) :cool:

--and it would be a clean damp, not a sweaty, gross damp.

so no word on housing and roommates yet?

oniwindu said:
--and it would be a clean damp, not a sweaty, gross damp.

so no word on housing and roommates yet?

I hear they send out packets for housing sometime in April so we should have them soon enough. Also I was just wondering, is anyone planning on having a car up there next year? I dont like the idea of making multiple trips to and from the grocery store.

oniwindu said:

Man I'm really sorry about the previous post. I must have email on the brain. I meant mail (I received a letter 2 days ago saying their scholarships have gone up from 2500 to 3000 max and their einstein loans have increased by a bit too). As for showering, its a good thing to do. I had a suitemate in college nicknamed "stinky"......*shudder*....he would drink a lot but didn't have much else to do with water.

jdovez said:
Man I'm really sorry about the previous post. I must have email on the brain. I meant mail (I received a letter 2 days ago saying their scholarships have gone up from 2500 to 3000 max and their einstein loans have increased by a bit too).

Thanks for the clear-up! And thanks for the info on housing/roommate.

As for a car, if I do decide to go to Einstein, I would like to bring my car. However, I heard Einstein was also tight on parking and that it might be a long wait to get student parking in their garage. I don't feel comfortable leaving my car on the street for a prolonged period of time --especially if I'm only going to be using it for infrequent trips to get groceries and such. (I don't know why food has been such a prominent matter on my mind today.) Anyway, I heard about this parking situation when I talked to my student host back in Sept. '04. Maybe it has changed, but I doubt it. I also remember hearing that the monthly fee for student parking was comparitively cheap --I don't remember the figure though. It might've been about $150/month?

I'll bring my car.. Im not too worried about it getting hurt in the street since the hood is already held shut with duct tape...

oniwindu said:
Thanks for the clear-up! And thanks for the info on housing/roommate.

As for a car, if I do decide to go to Einstein, I would like to bring my car. However, I heard Einstein was also tight on parking and that it might be a long wait to get student parking in their garage. I don't feel comfortable leaving my car on the street for a prolonged period of time --especially if I'm only going to be using it for infrequent trips to get groceries and such. (I don't know why food has been such a prominent metter on my mind today.) Anyway, I heard about this parking situation when I talked to my student host back in Sept. '04. Maybe it has changed, but I doubt it. I also remember hearing that the monthly fee for student parking was comparitively cheap --I don't remember the figure though. It might've been about $150/month?

I thought I heard like 65/month from one of the students but I could be imagining that? Anyway, I'm not going to bring a car, most likley--I'll get exercise to and from the grocery store or call a cab to go once a week ;)

the1111gal said:
I thought I heard like 65/month from one of the students but I could be imagining that? Anyway, I'm not going to bring a car, most likley--I'll get exercise to and from the grocery store or call a cab to go once a week ;)

I second the 65 a month for parking. VERY CHEAP. As for me, if I come I will have my significant other in tow and she will need a car to get to work (I am assuming).....so......I think I would need a space. Also, I don't know about the BX, but in other parts of the city just FINDING parking is a mission.

Quick question... I was just looking at my checking account and I realized my deposit check for Einstein hasn't been cashed... I sent it back in January so I'm wondering if it's their policy not to cash checks until after May 15 or if it's just mine that hasn't been cashed???

Anyone else not have their checks cashed? I know I've got my spot reserved because I've communicated with the admissions office recently but I'm really curious about the check. Thanks!

i may or may not be joining you guys..........depends just on favorable this favorable list is......yes im bitter :rolleyes: :cool:

loudawg said:
Quick question... I was just looking at my checking account and I realized my deposit check for Einstein hasn't been cashed... I sent it back in January so I'm wondering if it's their policy not to cash checks until after May 15 or if it's just mine that hasn't been cashed???

Anyone else not have their checks cashed? I know I've got my spot reserved because I've communicated with the admissions office recently but I'm really curious about the check. Thanks!

Mine has also not been cashed in many months. I think its easier if we withdraw not to cash it and just void it than to cash it and have to reissue one. That would be my guess anyway. Has anyone else gone to get all the bloodwork they require?? I went and the doc said it would be over 400 bucks!!! and insurance wouldnt pay cause I didnt "need" any of the tests. Man, thats wak.....

jdovez said:
Mine has also not been cashed in many months. I think its easier if we withdraw not to cash it and just void it than to cash it and have to reissue one. That would be my guess anyway. Has anyone else gone to get all the bloodwork they require?? I went and the doc said it would be over 400 bucks!!! and insurance wouldnt pay cause I didnt "need" any of the tests. Man, thats wak.....

Man, really? I was about to schedule it, but I'm with Kaiser and I think they might cover it because its a checkup. Which ones do we need? I just saw that thick packet of work and try to delay it as much as possible. I dont' fancy shots too much.

Jdovez, are you still doing grad work at UCD?

you should go back and see if you have your immunization record from college - you may not have to get everything done... esp. if you had it for school or for a job in the last few years.

wends said:
i may or may not be joining you guys..........depends just on favorable this favorable list is......yes im bitter :rolleyes: :cool:

In the same boat as wends. Lets hope for the best.

Hey everyone! Is anyone going to the second look next weekend?

sunsweet said:
Hey everyone! Is anyone going to the second look next weekend?

Is this an official visist? I didn't get any information on it. Considering I live a few thousand miles away and I haven't bought a ticket, I won't be there.

Uegis said:
Man, really? I was about to schedule it, but I'm with Kaiser and I think they might cover it because its a checkup. Which ones do we need? I just saw that thick packet of work and try to delay it as much as possible. I dont' fancy shots too much.

Jdovez, are you still doing grad work at UCD?

Hey there, no I left Davis almost 2 years ago when I decided to do medicine and forego research.

Guys, if you havent checked them out, the shots are some weird ones. I spoke with the doctor in depth about them (it was at the UT-Houston clinic and the guy is very involved with the school so he was trying to convince me to go there). In evaluating though, we need antibody tests for varicella, measles, mumps, rubella and for hep B. We also need a surface antigen test for hep B (the doc and I were like WTF?? If you have the antibody there is no need for a surface antigen test). You also need a CBC and metabolic profile. You may have the CBC and met profile (although they may be too old for einstein if its more than a year out from when you will begin classes, but thats pure speculation). However, each of these antibody tests, which you most likely have not had (you prob had the hep B immunization, but there is usually no need to double check that you got the antibodies given the series of shots). Each of these tests down here in cheap ass Texas is about 50 bucks +/-. That's a hefty chunk of change. I talked with a friend of mine who went to Davis undergrad and is now an MSII at aecom and he said he dropped over 250 at the clinic in davis for the series of shots.

Anyway, I am going to wait until I make my final decision. If anyone comes up with any brilliant ways around spending that much, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Uegis said:
Is this an official visist? I didn't get any information on it. Considering I live a few thousand miles away and I haven't bought a ticket, I won't be there.
There was an email from Dean Kerrigan w/the subject Welcome Back to Einstein. Its sort of an informal revisit (dinner, stay overnight, go to classes next day). Thats weird that you didn't get it. Something wrong w/your email? maybe you should call and make sure they have the correct email address for you.

Actually, maybe its not for all incoming students. Did everyone else get it? It might be for the Service and Research Scholarships recipients...?

i got it, and i'm not a service and research scholarship recipient. maybe it was for people in the NY area since it was short notice?

myodana said:
i got it, and i'm not a service and research scholarship recipient. maybe it was for people in the NY area since it was short notice?
That could be it. It was pretty short notice. Are you going?

well, i'm not a minority student... since the subject is "welcome back to einstein, new york" i'd say it might be for NY students? but that's just a guess. here's the text of the email for those who didn't get it.

Subject: WELCOME BACK TO EINSTEIN, NEW YORK!

Dear Incoming Student:
We'd like to invite you to come back to Einstein on Sunday, April 17th, for an informal dinner/party with our first and second year students, who will be your hosts in our Faculty Club.* You are also invited to visit the second-year’s classes on Monday, April 18th .
Many of you have already been hosted by our students on the eve of your interview and have gotten to know our students well; others have not had the opportunity.
We hope that those of you who are available, will avail yourself of the opportunity to take a second, more relaxed look at Einstein.* If you can only join in for a segment of the weekend, let us know.
Some of you have already scheduled a second look weekend.* If so, you need not read further unless you'd like to return yet again!
Those of you who are available and would like to join in, need only email us at [email protected].* There are about 20 openings for overnight housing with our students, if you are traveling from a great distance and would like to stay for classes on Monday.
Let us know if you have any special requirements.* Please call Admissions at 718-430-2106 and ask for Ms. Lorraine Longo or Ms. Joan Baldassari.
Please R.S.V.P. by Monday, April 11th .
We look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you.
Dean Kerrigan
-------------------------------------
Noreen Kerrigan, M.P.A.
Assistant Dean for Student Admissions
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, New York l046l
TELEPHONE 718-430-2106
FAX - 718-430-8840
E-MAIL* [email protected]

I think it probably was emailed to people who were within reasonable travel distance to NYC. I'm close to Boston, MA, so I got the email. Although, seriously, this really was too last minute. I already have plans that I can't change for that weekend, unfortunately and won't be able to make it.

But for all those who can go, can you post about how it went, your impressions, etc, and how it has affected your decisions? I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm still very indecisive in terms of where I want to be this Fall.

wends said:

I'm on the wait list too. They make the wait-list seem so positive don't they? Hoping to get in though.