You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pathology Residents, Do you guys have ANY patient contact?
Started by Leukocyte
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It's pretty nonexistant. If you count interacting with a live patient in doing FNAs or bone marrow biopsies I geuss that's patient contact 😉. Also depending on institutions if the therapeutic apheresis lab is run by pathology, then pathologists are responsible for working up and managing the patient. I don't think you would see any pathologist perscribing any drugs for patients lol.
I guess if a lab test you ordered required the administration of a drug you might occasionally prescribe.
Whether your prescriptive authority is limited by your scope of practice varies by state.
Whether your prescriptive authority is limited by your scope of practice varies by state.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have never heard (or heard intimated) of capability of prescribing drugs as a deciding factor for which field to go into. Either you plan on prescribing things for your family/friends/self or perhaps just really like writing those scripts out.
It depends on the program, but in some residencies the transfusion med/blood banking service involves quite a bit of patient contact including rounding on floors and taking care of pheresis patients (writing the orders, doing H&P, etc). It varies a lot though.
If you need to have a lot of patient contact to make your career worthwhile, pathology may not be for you. But if you're like me, and you liked some patient contact but couldn't give two bits if you don't have to see patients the rest of your career, well then maybe it is. I mean, patient contact isn't that great. You can get most of the benefits of having patient contact from just being a nice person and having some friends. And you probably avoid a lot of the objectionable parts.
It depends on the program, but in some residencies the transfusion med/blood banking service involves quite a bit of patient contact including rounding on floors and taking care of pheresis patients (writing the orders, doing H&P, etc). It varies a lot though.
If you need to have a lot of patient contact to make your career worthwhile, pathology may not be for you. But if you're like me, and you liked some patient contact but couldn't give two bits if you don't have to see patients the rest of your career, well then maybe it is. I mean, patient contact isn't that great. You can get most of the benefits of having patient contact from just being a nice person and having some friends. And you probably avoid a lot of the objectionable parts.
Interesting list.Leukocyte said:Debating between:
1) Neurology
2) OB/GYN
3) Pathology
4) Anesthesiology
Then there is Anesthesia, where patient contact is minimal anyway...
Patient: "I was sitting up last night worrying about this morning, you know, and whether - "
Anesthesiologist: (interrupting) "Okay Mrs. Smith take some nice deep breaths now."
Patient: (muffled by mask) "gurgle gurgle gurgg............. " *beep beep beep beep*
UGH you have GOT to be kidding! 😱 I should have asked more questions at my interview. Maybe I'll switch to AP only.yaah said:in some residencies the transfusion med/blood banking service involves quite a bit of patient contact including rounding on floors and taking care of pheresis patients (writing the orders, doing H&P, etc).
Like trying for nearly a week to discharge a Teams patient whose only active issue is gout.yaah said:You can get most of the benefits of having patient contact from just being a nice person and having some friends. And you probably avoid a lot of the objectionable parts.
Remember that within pathology there are tons of very lively very intelligent people whom you will get to work with closely. To me this more than made up for the lack of patient contact.
deschutes said:Remember that within pathology there are tons of very lively very intelligentVery intelligent? Perhaps. Very lively? Well, to paraphrase a well known quote, an emoticon is worth a thousand words:![]()
deschutes said:Then there is Anesthesia, where patient contact is minimal anyway...
Patient: "I was sitting up last night worrying about this morning, you know, and whether - "
Anesthesiologist: (interrupting) "Okay Mrs. Smith take some nice deep breaths now."
Patient: (muffled by mask) "gurgle gurgle gurgg............. " *beep beep beep beep*
That pretty much sums up anaesthesia
.deschutes said:UGH you have GOT to be kidding! 😱 I should have asked more questions at my interview. Maybe I'll switch to AP only.![]()
Calm your horses. I don't think it's gonna be that bad.
What, you were expecting us to bounce around the hospital in Easter Bunny ears with our entire entourage of fellows, residents and medical students in tow?Furious_D said:Very intelligent? Perhaps. Very lively? Well, to paraphrase a well known quote, an emoticon is worth a thousand words:deschutes said:Remember that within pathology there are tons of very lively very intelligent![]()
🙂I was referring to a liveliness of mind and spirit, not necessarily of action. Pathology is by nature an understated niche - I could see how the work and people might at first appear to be incredibly boring.
Same goes for Anesthesia 😉
Another convert! 👍 Although I tend to lose mine in medical English.Mrbojangles said:That pretty much sums up anaesthesia.
Yeah, I was just being silly about the BB/TM job requirements. It is difficult trying to imagine a 4-page apheresis admission note. We'll see!
It took me a while to get what you were getting at. The added "a" just makes it look more correct. I used to type tumor as tumour. I geuss it was all that time spent reading 19th century English literature with my dad and sister that corrupted my English 😀.
Leukocyte said:Are there any pathology sub-specialities that involve prescribing drugs?
Thanks.
I knew of a surgical pathologist that had a script pad...so if you have a fetish for writing scripts but also love path, you can satisfy both of your obsessions!
B
b&ierstiefel
that would be wise.deschutes said:UGH you have GOT to be kidding! 😱 I should have asked more questions at my interview. Maybe I'll switch to AP only.![]()
...or American!Mrbojangles said:I geuss it was all that time spent reading 19th century English literature with my dad and sister that corrupted my English 😀.
See, but that would mean I would have two options only:AndyMilonakis said:that would be wise.
(a) to pursue a career in dermpath, or
(b) live in a van down by the river 😉
Mrbojangles said:It took me a while to get what you were getting at. The added "a" just makes it look more correct. I used to type tumor as tumour. I geuss it was all that time spent reading 19th century English literature with my dad and sister that corrupted my English 😀.
Corrupted?.....I would imagine it is older and correct way....

B
b&ierstiefel
deschutes said:See, but that would mean I would have two options only:
(a) to pursue a career in dermpath, or
(b) live in a van down by the river 😉
Those are not bad options.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 579
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 4K