Three recent scary chiro articles...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoughtFyr

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
VERY SCARY article...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/11/prweb178574.htm

even SCARIER...

http://www.jcca-online.org/client/cca/JCCA.nsf/objects/V49-1-46/$file/jcca-v49-1-046.pdf

and here is a great discussion on the ethics (or lack thereof) of the chiropractic profession, taken from the recent ACC RAC 2005 conference panel discussion in Las Vegas...

http://chirotalk.proboards3.com/index.cgi?board=education&action=display&num=1113421221

Any of our resident chiro defenders care to comment?

- H

Members don't see this ad.

The first article I can't comment on because of its vaugness. The article never states how chiro schools allow DC's to get their degree without meeting the requirments. I do know that this Botnick guy is a rabbid chiro basher and he seems to work just a little to hard at something he has no belief in.

The second article about how DC students get hurt is no shock to me. I read that study a few days ago actually and I guess my only question is why is that so shocking to you? Would you rather students not practice on one another, risking injury, to be a better DC? Do you think med students don't hurt eachother while practicing needle use or things such as that? Also, the CMCC is the most respected and well established schools of chiropractic is north America so I doubt any wrong doing is going on there. It does scare me a bit to know that i may get hurt while in chio school but I am williing to risk to so I can be the most competant chiropractor I can be.

Sorry for the short reply. I do have an athletic injuries exam to study for!

jesse14 said:
The first article I can't comment on because of its vaugness. The article never states how chiro schools allow DC's to get their degree without meeting the requirments. I do know that this Botnick guy is a rabbid chiro basher and he seems to work just a little to hard at something he has no belief in.

Except that Botnick is a DC! Also, the CCE sued Life over their not meeting the requirements, and Life sued back after the CCE pulled their accreditation, so I not sure how much of this is "fluff".

jesse14 said:
The second article about how DC students get hurt is no shock to me. I read that study a few days ago actually and I guess my only question is why is that so shocking to you? Would you rather students not practice on one another, risking injury, to be a better DC? Do you think med students don't hurt eachother while practicing needle use or things such as that?

Actually, no medical students do not get hurt "practicing" on each other because they don't (practice on each other). Unlike chiropractic college, we learn by assisting physicians on real patients, with real injuries and illnesses. The superision is close to prevent untoward outcomes and patients are fully informed when students are participating in care. We are not trained by recruiting classmates, friends, and relatives to meet a certain "quota" of procedures. That said, the intrest I have in the article is the conclusion "Chiropractic students experience side effects during their undergraduate training that are very similar to those experienced by patients under clinical care." I have always maintained that chiropractic is not harmless and that there are significnt risks associated with chiropractic care. Risks not often shared with patients. You, skiiboy, publichealth, Backtalk, and others in this forum have consistantly argued that there are no risks to spinal manipulation. Now here is an article, written at a respected chiropractic institution that suggests roughly 40% of patients will have side effects?!? How does that balance out on the risk benefit scale? Given that other studies have concluded that chiropractic treatment is only as effective (not more so) than allopathic treatment of LBP, and the side effect risk is far, far less in the allopathic paradigm, why is chiropractic acceptable?

jesse14 said:
Also, the CMCC is the most respected and well established schools of chiropractic is north America so I doubt any wrong doing is going on there. It does scare me a bit to know that i may get hurt while in chio school but I am williing to risk to so I can be the most competant chiropractor I can be.

I can not argue with your assessment of CMCC. But doesn't the propect of having a 40% chance of injury tell you something about the training process. As a medical school graduate, I can honestly say that I do not know of a single case where one of my classmates hurt another in the course of training.

jesse14 said:
Sorry for the short reply. I do have an athletic injuries exam to study for!

Good luck!

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
lol
FoughtFyr said:
Except that Botnick is a DC! Also, the CCE sued Life over their not meeting the requirements, and Life sued back after the CCE pulled their accreditation, so I not sure how much of this is "fluff".

***Yes, he is a D.C. But by his own admission was upset that he failed the board exams and was delayed in starting to practice. He also believes the school should pay for his student loan debt or that YOU should pay back his loans (by bankruptcy) so he can become (shouldn't he already be) a contributing member of society.

Quote: "I can't and couldn't work as a chiropractor and lost about $2 million dollars in income. And you complain about the 5 cents in taxes you would have to pay to forgive some student loans to allow me to stay off welfare and finish my education instead of wasting it and not contributing to society by having a decent job."

***That's my nickel not yours buddy...

His school failed to offer differential diagnosis classes. However, others from his class had no such problem passing part IV of the boards (actual simulated patient encounters-easy if studied AT ALL). If you know how to "apply" what you've learned and not just read and regurgitate text for tests you should not have problems passing these tests... thousands have already.

Quote: "You also need to consider that by not practicing I have saved society about $5 million dollars in fraudulent insurance claims from false billing because I don't know how to diagnose. Certainly this more than balances the student loan debt."

***Really skewed thinking...assuming you would false bill just from being a chiropractor not being an unethical chiropractor. At least he admits he doesn't know how to diagnose. Frankly, for most cases a chiropractor sees and the basic other conditions covered in Part IV of the National Boards there's no excuse why one can't pass... thousands have already.

My synopsis is he is not a credible, rational source for information. Too much of his personal problems has skewed his view and he seems unwilling or unable to discuss chiropractic viewpoints with any sensibility.***

"Actually, no medical students do not get hurt "practicing" on each other because they don't (practice on each other)...The superision is close to prevent untoward outcomes and patients are fully informed when students are participating in care. We are not trained by recruiting classmates, friends, and relatives to meet a certain "quota" of procedures."

***True*** Guilty as charged. It's stupid but unfortunately condoned.

"I have always maintained that chiropractic is not harmless and that there are significnt risks associated with chiropractic care. Risks not often shared with patients. You, skiiboy, publichealth, Backtalk, and others in this forum have consistantly argued that there are no risks to spinal manipulation. Now here is an article, written at a respected chiropractic institution that suggests roughly 40% of patients will have side effects?!?"

***True again*** There is risk...there is always risk. But 40% is a ridiculous number and the source again is a canadian chiropractic college whose investigators are private practice D.C.'s ... hardly experts on research. That number just doesn't correlate into the real world. I'm not saying it doesn't exist (side effects) but I'd put it at 10-15% (as much credibility as them since I have a D.C. degree, too) have some soreness depending on the presenting state. Realistically, waivers are a useless legal defense if the doc has screwed up so informed consent is just a mind game...M.D.'s do let people know side effects if it's common but they are not going to go over EVERY possible side effect or no one would follow their recommendations.

"I can not argue with your assessment of CMCC. But doesn't the propect of having a 40% chance of injury tell you something about the training process. As a medical school graduate, I can honestly say that I do not know of a single case where one of my classmates hurt another in the course of training."

***And I can't tell you I've heard of a single D.C. that has stroked out a patient with cervical manipulation (I'm sure it's happened). Dr. Triano (whom Anti-chiropractic people love---I've been to his clinic and have my own opinion) even states the risk of injury with cerivical manipulation is overblown. Working as a D.C. everyday this 40% number is outright wrong in the public although not there is always a chance of injury.***

Good luck!

- H

chirodoc said:
First, please clean up your post, you have a great deal on there attributed to me that were not my words.

Second, "private practice" D.C.s "not experts on research" is a gross mischaracterization. It strikes me as odd that when defending chiroipractic care, chiropractors constanly refer back to their own journals and researchers. When an article from those same journals is used to argue against chiropractic, the researchers are suddenly inept. In this case, the study's methodolgy is well described, the statistical models employed are listed, and the raw data provided for independant analysis. The journal is indexed and, I assume, peer-reviewed. But hey, if you are willing to acknowledge that the "basic" D.C. is so poorly trained in academia that we should not accept scientific articles authored by them unless they hold additional degrees, well, I'd trade that for the findings of this study any day. You should know that there are many, many, "private practice" MDs that produce quality research. Biostatistics and research design is part and parcel of our training. Almost every residency review committee (the national board who oversee residency training programs by specialty) requires a "scholarly project" prior to program completion, and biostatistics is a mandatory part of medical school cirricula under the LCME.

Which brings me back to my oft stated concern regarding chiropractic - there is simply not enough evidence of efficacy to warrant the risks associated with chiropractic care. Yes, there are risks in medicine, but the standard of care under evidence based medicine mandates that the proven benefits of a therapy outweigh the risks of that therapy. Chiropractic simply can't make that cut!

- H

Do not have time for a long reply right now but what a laugh FoughtFyr! Allopathic model having as few side effects as chiropractic treatment??? And you call yourself an evidence based student/practitioner. Do you have any idea how many people die per year with just the utlization of NSAID'S, and these are considered some of the safest allopathic treatments. I'm not even gonna get into the amounts of awful side effects from COX-2 drugs and now even over the counter medications being pulled. Chiropractic adjustments are a pro-physiological treatment. Chiropractic is one of the safest and most effective treatments for a variety of musculo-skeletal disorders. You want to sit in these forums and spew your niahlistic paradigm of medicine, (which by the way is dangerous to the public) atleast give credit where credit is due. You want to complain about the lack of double blind random cross over trials with chiropractic and its effect on visceral conditions, so be it.... But I want you to honestly take a look at how the average family doc(md or do) treats someone with neck or back pain and its probably one of the most unscientific protocols in all of medicine. They usually slap on some strain or sprain diagnosis and offer anti-inflammatorys. This is why relapse for this type of condition is almost 90%. Dam near most trials show chiropractic patients to have higher rates of patient satisfaction as well as better objective and subjective health after treatment. You want to talk about clinical incompetence, take a look at the recent study showing near 80% of medical residents failing a basic orthopedic test. The allopathic protocol for musculoskeletal conditions is severely lacking and if you cant admit that then all of your credibility on other issues is severely flawed.

skiiboy said:
Do not have time for a long reply right now but what a laugh FoughtFyr! Allopathic model having as few side effects as chiropractic treatment??? And you call yourself an evidence based student/practitioner.

So where is the problem with the paper I listed? The one done by chiropractors, printed in a chiropractic journal. See, you love to say that there are no side effects, yet you can not or will not address the evidence provided. Why?

skiiboy said:
Do you have any idea how many people die per year with just the utlization of NSAID'S, and these are considered some of the safest allopathic treatments. I'm not even gonna get into the amounts of awful side effects from COX-2 drugs and now even over the counter medications being pulled.

Show me the numbers! Post credible studies that demonstrate "how many people die per year with just the utilization of NSAID'S" - then find a reference that suggests their empiric use is the standard of care or even the standard practice. And the "awful side effects from COX-2 drugs... being pulled" is a great example. A very rare, but serious, side effect was discovered, and the treatment universally discontinued. Well, strokes have been, very rarely, but positively, demonstrated to be caused by high cervical chiropractic adjustments. Has chiropractic "pulled" this treatment?

skiiboy said:
Chiropractic adjustments are a pro-physiological treatment. Chiropractic is one of the safest and most effective treatments for a variety of musculo-skeletal disorders.

It is not that "safe" according to the article and others referenced in it. And "most effective" - by what measure? Where is the data?

skiiboy said:
You want to sit in these forums and spew your niahlistic paradigm of medicine, (which by the way is dangerous to the public) atleast give credit where credit is due.

What?!?

skiiboy said:
You want to complain about the lack of double blind random cross over trials with chiropractic and its effect on visceral conditions, so be it....

No, I complain that when these studies have been done, there is no demonstrable benefit to chiropractic treatment over allopathic except subjective satisfaction ratings. That is not enough benefit, in my opinion, to warrant the risks so well documented in the paper I cited in my first post.

skiiboy said:
But I want you to honestly take a look at how the average family doc(md or do) treats someone with neck or back pain and its probably one of the most unscientific protocols in all of medicine. They usually slap on some strain or sprain diagnosis and offer anti-inflammatorys.

Then they are wrong. If no assessment is done and no proper, evidenced based therapy is offered, the practitioner is simply wrong.

skiiboy said:
This is why relapse for this type of condition is almost 90%.

Again, show me the numbers.

skiiboy said:
Dam near most trials show chiropractic patients to have higher rates of patient satisfaction as well as better objective and subjective health after treatment. The allopathic protocol for musculoskeletal conditions is severely lacking and if you cant admit that then all of your credibility on other issues is severely flawed.

Well we finally agree on one statement. Yes, studies do show higher rates of patient satisfaction. They do not, however, demonstrate better objective or subjective health after treatment. Nor has improvement in length of symptoms, cost-effectiveness, or relapse rate been demonstrated. If you believe it has, then POST THE STUDY!

And while you are at it, please post the "allopathic protocol" for musculoskeletal conditions. As an allopathic physician, I've never seen it. My management of NMS conditions varies by patient presentation, but if I finally whittle the diagnosis to "idiopathic" LBP, then I offer my patients a PM&R referral or a PT referral (or I refer them back to their PMD for the same). That is "best practice", and is the standard care that chiropractic is compared to in studies. I agree, no assessment and a recommendation for empiric NSAID use would be poor practice, but that is not the standard of care. What is the chiropractic standard of care and where is the evidenary basis behind it? Oh yeah, I forgot, there isn't one...

- H

Foughtfyr,

What's your goal?

PublicHealth said:
Foughtfyr,

What's your goal?

An actual, honest, fair, and evidenced based discussion of the risks versus benefits of chiropractic care. I do not view it as a benign "alternative" to traditional care but I am willing to listen if there is evidence to support it's use. For example, given the recent liteature, I do support accupuncture for LBP and have actually suggested it to my patients. In fact, I enrolled three people in a local study on accupuncture for pain control after their ED visits and will continue to refer now that the study is complete. That one is a benign alternative and one with thounsands of years of history and the collective experience of thousands of practitioners behind it's "founding". Not a single man from Iowa cracking a janitor's and finding the "secret to life itself". :laugh:

- H

FoughtFyr said:
An actual, honest, fair, and evidenced based discussion of the risks versus benefits of chiropractic care. I do not view it as a benign "alternative" to traditional care but I am willing to listen if there is evidence to support it's use. For example, given the recent liteature, I do support accupuncture for LBP and have actually suggested it to my patients. In fact, I enrolled three people in a local study on accupuncture for pain control after their ED visits and will continue to refer now that the study is complete. That one is a benign alternative and one with thounsands of years of history and the collective experience of thousands of practitioners behind it's "founding". Not a single man from Iowa cracking a janitor's and finding the "secret to life itself". :laugh:

- H

As I stated countless times before, chiropractic research is just beginning to take form. Medicine has dominated over complimentary and alternative medicine over the past several decades. The NCCAM was founded in 2000. Much of the funded research on chiropractic (RCTs, not case studies) are currently in progress or nearing completion. At present, the empirical literature is mixed regarding the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of chiropractic. In my estimation, it'll be at least 10 years before the research is able to definitively determine whether chiropractic is empirically supported. The stuff that's out there now is mostly crap. Most of the articles that you cite are authored by "chiro-bashers" such as yourself. The field of chiropractic is used to folks like you, and has persevered in spite of your efforts.

PublicHealth said:
As I stated countless times before, chiropractic research is just beginning to take form. Medicine has dominated over complimentary and alternative medicine over the past several decades. The NCCAM was founded in 2000. Much of the funded research on chiropractic (RCTs, not case studies) are currently in progress or nearing completion. At present, the empirical literature is mixed regarding the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of chiropractic. In my estimation, it'll be at least 10 years before the research is able to definitively determine whether chiropractic is empirically supported. The stuff that's out there now is mostly crap. Most of the articles that you cite are authored by "chiro-bashers" such as yourself. The field of chiropractic is used to folks like you, and has persevered in spite of your efforts.

So, I am a "chiro-basher" because I ask for the evidenary basis behind a treatment? Well, then I am an "allo-basher" too because I require that same support for what I do.

BTW - the article on the side effects of chiropractic was performed out of CMCC and was published in a chiropractic journal. How is that being authored by a "chiro-basher"?

It is not that I am "anti" alternative medicine. I have personally used, and regularly refer patients to, accupuncturists (within specific settings). My problem is that I seem to regularly see patients hurt by chiropractors. The last was an elderly man, now with cauda equina syndrome, who was actually incontient of urine on the chiropractor's table! He was sent home (to rest by the chiropractor) where his son, a paramedic, insisted he go to the ED. To be fair, I do see patients hurt by physicians as well. The difference to me is in the basic effectiveness of the treatment offered (risk versus benefit). I don't see chiropractic as falling on the "right side" of that line, but if there is good evidence out there to the contrary I want to hear it.

How can you support a treatment that might be harmful without evidence to support it's efficacy while calling yourself a public health professional? Why are you so quick to embrace chiropractic? What is it that makes this "work" for you as opposed to dianetics, macrobiotics, nathropathy, etc.? Or are all "alternative" health systems o.k., regardless of risks versus benefit?

- H

FoughtFyr said:
First, please clean up your post, you have a great deal on there attributed to me that were not my words.

Sorry Charlie...It made sense while I was typing...the quotes are directly from Dr. Botnick on his forum stating his positions on these topics...just clarifying the source of your articles.

I have to disagree with the canadian memorial study also. Just because it's written and peer reviewed doesn't make it "holy water". Especially, since it was done by chiropractors (sorry I don't put that much trust in my peers!) Unless you are there it's hard to relate but ALOT of the "symptoms" a student feels could be attributed to prolonged staging before an adjustment, over palpation or just simply unrelated. There is truth in the fact that a bad adjustment hurts...but from what I've felt and seen it can be attributed to someone with tiny bony fingers as much as pain from joint manipulation. It's just too sketchy to call that "real science".

"Which brings me back to my oft stated concern regarding chiropractic - there is simply not enough evidence of efficacy to warrant the risks associated with chiropractic care. Yes, there are risks in medicine, but the standard of care under evidence based medicine mandates that the proven benefits of a therapy outweigh the risks of that therapy***

True enough except for the FACT that millions of adjustments are voluntarily received each year by patients from chiropractors, osteopaths (US and foreign), medical doctors, physical therapists (although they will never admit it), masseurs, and your buddy at a high school football game (bear hug). There are not MILLIONS of people filling emergency rooms from being injured by adjustments. It's just not 'real'. It's fiction. Admittedly, much like chiropractic philosophy.

The "problem" if you want to hear it from a D.C. is that chiropractic efficacy is CONFUSED with joint manipulation efficacy. They are two different things. I hate the arguement presented that joint manipulation is somehow "safer" when ANYONE but a D.C. does it because their "reasons" are different for doing it. Chiropractors by far are the only ones with enough EXPERIENCE to do it safely because other practioners rely on other modalities like drugs, active therapy etc. more frequently. Now that proves one point you do make...and I agree...it's overutilized. Yes, chiropractors have made a profession out of overutilization of a therapy. But if your going to get joint manipulation your stupid if you let someone other than a seasoned D.C. do it.

And NO I don't think your anti-chiropractic...your just a dude looking for answers. That's fine. If we had our house in order we would redily have some for you but we don't and "Yes" that's a problem in the profession, "Too many chiefs and not enough Indians".

A recent quote from a chiropractic journal states everything in a nutshell, "90% of D.C.'s are too busy to worry about getting involved in the politics of chiropractic so the 10 % that are wacko's and crackpots run our schools and political organizations" (not a direct quote but I'd say that's pretty accurate).

I admit I am disappointed in what I've seen as a D.C. so far but I can tell much is brought on by unwarranted discrimination, heresay and utter nonsense. However, we deserve it because we hang on to this "DD Palmer/BJ Palmer" nonsense like it's our only salvation from becoming a "medical subspecialty". I'll tell you now I'd accept a condition that would allow me to have prescription rights and other abilities that the medics have if we could get it by doing 2 years further clinical sciences and being included into resident physiatrist training. But that won't happen. I'm also dissapointed in the type of patients we "attract/market" mostly personal injury or w/c which by far have been exagerated symptoms or outright fraud. Unfortunately, they know the exams better than most doc's and answer positive to all the "objective" tests which require "subjective" replies (what a dichotomy).

So please proceed and challenge chiropractic but be open to the answers you get and keep a healthy suspicion about the "anti-chiropractic" information you reference.

Thanks.

chirodoc said:
FoughtFyr said:

Sorry Charlie...It made sense while I was typing...the quotes are directly from Dr. Botnick on his forum stating his positions on these topics...just clarifying the source of your articles.

After some due diligence, I agree the "press release" (not picked up by any major news outlets BTW) is from a rather skewed and interesting individual. It should be noted, however, that the status of Life Universities accreditation by the CCE was court ordered after 2002. See: http://www.cce-usa.org/./2004-12-03 Revised COA Announcement Nov 2004 Mtg.pdf. It is hard to tell what transpired, but there was definately some "friction" to say the least!

chirodoc said:
I have to disagree with the canadian memorial study also. Just because it's written and peer reviewed doesn't make it "holy water". Especially, since it was done by chiropractors (sorry I don't put that much trust in my peers!)

Other than that you don't trust chiropractors to author papers, what is your issue with the paper? The methodolgy was well-described and seemed scientifically sound to me. I don't care if a plumber writes the paper as long as the methodology is sound, well-described, and peer-reviewed to insure the veracity of the data collection itself.

chirodoc said:
Unless you are there it's hard to relate but ALOT of the "symptoms" a student feels could be attributed to prolonged staging before an adjustment, over palpation or just simply unrelated. There is truth in the fact that a bad adjustment hurts...but from what I've felt and seen it can be attributed to someone with tiny bony fingers as much as pain from joint manipulation. It's just too sketchy to call that "real science".

But if x numbers of patients exposed to a therapy experience a specific adverse effect, then that is significant; regardless if the effect was intended. The same is true in medicine, not every person undergoing a specific therapy has a adverse effect from it. It is a matter of risk. For instance, 7.5% of patients taking dipyridamole have ST-T segment changes on ECG. This risk is carefully measured against the benefits of the drug. The paper was the first real look for me at the "less than catastrophic" adverse effects of chiropractic. If I have any criticism of it, it is that the subjects were definately "pro-chiro" and may well have minimized complaints.

chirodoc said:
True enough except for the FACT that millions of adjustments are voluntarily received each year by patients from chiropractors, osteopaths (US and foreign), medical doctors, physical therapists (although they will never admit it), masseurs, and your buddy at a high school football game (bear hug). There are not MILLIONS of people filling emergency rooms from being injured by adjustments. It's just not 'real'. It's fiction. Admittedly, much like chiropractic philosophy.

No, it is not millions (significantly injured). But what is the proven benefit?

And, given the data on CVAs and high cervical manipulation, there are significant risks. I mean, if you look at Vioxx (or COX-2s in general), millions and millions of doses were given. There were very, very few significant events. In fact, there have been no events directly attributable to COX-2s, the concern was a demonstrable increased risk of a thrombolic event coupled with a plausible mechanism behind the risk. Certainly both are true of high cervical manipulation - yet the procedure is still performed...

chirodoc said:
The "problem" if you want to hear it from a D.C. is that chiropractic efficacy is CONFUSED with joint manipulation efficacy. They are two different things. I hate the arguement presented that joint manipulation is somehow "safer" when ANYONE but a D.C. does it because their "reasons" are different for doing it.

I won't give you that arguement. I will state that I am more comfortable that other, non-NMS, pathology has been ruled out if the patient was first seen by an MD or DO. For that reason, I find (non-directly accessed) PT manipulation "safer".

chirodoc said:
Chiropractors by far are the only ones with enough EXPERIENCE to do it safely because other practioners rely on other modalities like drugs, active therapy etc. more frequently. Now that proves one point you do make...and I agree...it's overutilized. Yes, chiropractors have made a profession out of overutilization of a therapy. But if your going to get joint manipulation your stupid if you let someone other than a seasoned D.C. do it.

Assuming it is needed...

chirodoc said:
A recent quote from a chiropractic journal states everything in a nutshell, "90% of D.C.'s are too busy to worry about getting involved in the politics of chiropractic so the 10 % that are wacko's and crackpots run our schools and political organizations" (not a direct quote but I'd say that's pretty accurate).

I admit I am disappointed in what I've seen as a D.C. so far but I can tell much is brought on by unwarranted discrimination, heresay and utter nonsense. However, we deserve it because we hang on to this "DD Palmer/BJ Palmer" nonsense like it's our only salvation from becoming a "medical subspecialty". I'll tell you now I'd accept a condition that would allow me to have prescription rights and other abilities that the medics have if we could get it by doing 2 years further clinical sciences and being included into resident physiatrist training. But that won't happen.

See, I would support chiropractic as an alternative to "traditional" PT (sans direct access) in the same way that osteopathy is an "alternative" to allopathic medicine. That is to say, I want chiropractic available to those who would like it. But I would like some degree of MD/DO oversight to insure that the needs of the patient are met (in terms of non-NMS conditions).

chirodoc said:
I'm also dissapointed in the type of patients we "attract/market" mostly personal injury or w/c which by far have been exagerated symptoms or outright fraud. Unfortunately, they know the exams better than most doc's and answer positive to all the "objective" tests which require "subjective" replies (what a dichotomy).

A problem for both of us. At least you don't have to deal with narcotic seekers!

chirodoc said:
So please proceed and challenge chiropractic but be open to the answers you get and keep a healthy suspicion about the "anti-chiropractic" information you reference.

Thanks.

I am open to the answers I get. The problem is that the answers are often contained in such poorly designed and run studies that no real answers can be gleaned. Which leaves me back at risk versus benefit. I see the risks as mis-diagnosis of non-NMS conditions and adverse effects from manipulation. These would be acceptable if there were demonstrable benefits; a point on which I am not yet convinced.

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
Foughtfyr…. The latest studies show that atleast 16,500 people die per year from nsaid us. However most experts believe it may be as high as 40,000 deaths per year. I’m not going to post the links to all of the sites which show this statistic, you can just do a simple search for this well established data. While I agree that there have not been enough double blind random cross over trials regarding the efficacy of chiropractic, make no mistake about it…. There has been tons of research about spinal manipulation. Regardless of quality, some very poor – some excellent, almost all studies show chiropractic treatment to have significant efficacy. In fact outspoken critics of chiropractic quickly jumped on one of the more recent studies that showed chiropractic being no more effective than traditional treatment for back pain! The much bigger point about the results of this study is that it is AS effective as the traditional model of treatment BUT without the side effects! NSAID use is grossly out of control, especially for patients with arthritic and chronic pain conditions. Chiropractor’s realignment of joints is actually a pro-physiological treatment and has no side effects. Also, brand new research results are showing that cox techniques used by chiropractors (developed by an osteopath) not only ****** the leaking of the disc nucleus in patients with herniated discs, but that it also reverses the herniation by “sucking” the nucleus pulposus back into the joint. My how protocols for back pain patients are changing. Non-invasive techniques are now urged not only by chiropractors but also orthopedists. Back surgeries as a whole are extremely unsuccessful, while study after study shows chiropractic to get patients healthier, faster with less recurrence of episodes. In addition, chiropractic treatment keeps costs down, has higher patient satisfaction and gets better results.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/95/103236.htm

Chiropractics management of back pain saves countless surgeries and brings life back to thousands of people every year.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/24/1728_57561.htm

So here is a very concrete risk vs benefit analysis for you FoughtFyr. Rather than a patient taking nsaids routinely for months or years for back/neck pain and risk being one of the 20,000+ people who die every year, or perhaps the 1 in 4 who develop gastrointestinal disorders… instead you seek chiropractic treatment. The chiropractors treatment avoids the dangers of nsaid use and helps alleviate your pain without side effects. Does every single patient respond extremely well to chiropractic care, no. Do most, yes. And if patients opted for this type of care before nsaid use, there is a significant benefit over risk.

Your contention that physical therapists are trained better than chiropractors is perhaps wishful thinking on your part because its not even close to being true. If you really want to know the truth take a look at any chiropractic curriculum and any physical therapy curriculum. In fact I challenge you to look at what you would call the most philosophical chiropractic school and compare their curriculum to the most scientific-best physical therapy curriculum in the country you can find. In fact please post them up on this board so that everyone can see. The differences are still staggering. Chiropractors are trained to be direct primary care doctors in our healthcare system. Unlike podiatrists and dentists, chiropractors are not limited by region (instead limited by prescription). What does this mean? Well this means that chiropractors are still required to make a differential diagnosis on all patients for all conditions. Chiropractors are trained to do full body, extensive evaluations (neurological, systemic, orthopedic and chiropractic. In addition chiropractors are extensively trained in the interpretation of radiographs. Much more so than a medical doctor(non radiologist). Chiropractics training is actually 5 years but most programs have managed to squeeze them into 4 years. Chiropractic schools offer diplomats in a range of fields, including family medicine, pedatrics and radiology. Even the new “dr.” title being given to some recently graduated physical therapists is not even a clinical doctorate. Its more like a teaching doctorate. In essence it is more of a political move and it creates confusion amongst the public. Certain chiropractic schools in rural areas such as western states even teach extensive gynecology and child birth/ as well as small surgery.

The stroke issue with cervical manipulation is ridiculous. Chiropractics critics figure that if its said long and hard enough people will just start to believe it. Millions of chiropractic adjustments are given every single year. The amount of stroke cases BELIEVED to even be remotely related are a handful. There is absolutely no evidence to even suggest that these patients would not have ruptured an artery with something as simple as brushing there teeth or extending there head before changing lanes in their car. With millions of adjustments given per year, this statistic is meaningless. Chiropractors are trained to do tests to detect people who have compromised vessels. The sad truth about this is that most non-invasive tests used to diagnose those patients who may have compromised vessels have been shown to unreliable. However there are certainly still specific factors that contradindicate cervical manipulation, and any properly trained chiropractor should know them.

For all of the chiropractic students and pre-chiropractic students out there Good luck with everything, your path is an admirable one. Life is short, the calling to help increase the health of your fellow man so that he/she may live to their fullest potential is the highest calling there is. Live with purpose and intention and you will have a happy and satisfied life. If you never even deliver one adjustment, but instead teach others of the incredibly simple yet most powerful concept; that health comes from “above down inside out” and not from pills, potions and lotions. That health is more about the soil than the seed and that the greatest power against disease is allowing your body to express its innate intelligence, than you have been a successful chiropractor. Your future profession requires compassion, a love for human beings and the awesome ability to heal the sick with just your mind and hands, you have an incredible and unique journey ahead of you! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I Am a Chiropractor

I am a Chiropractor working with the sciences of the universe by turning on the life in man through the art of the adjustment. I do not prescribe, treat, or diagnose conditions. I use only my hands. I work with that "mysterious something" with created my body from two cells.
At a time prescribed aeons ago, I was set in this body to experience. That cosmic power which created me, which also moves the seas, rotates the earth, directs the heavens, gives life and takes it away, is everything. And that did not abandon me when I became free of the security of my earthly mother's womb. It is still with me and protects me as it moves all forms toward their final predestined goal.
It is not mine to educatedly ask "why" or "where," but to innately live and live to help my fellow creatures. And with Chiropractic adjustment I use all the powers and energies moving this universe to allow my fellow creatures the chance to live free of disease.
I wish nothing in return; only the chance to GIVE. I give with the only thing I have, LOVE. And I love all by removing that which interferes with 100% of LIFE. I do not look to others for direction; I look within. I am a perfect expression of God living 24 hours each day for others; I am a PRINCIPLED CHIROPRACTOR.

-B.J. Palmer, D.C., Ph. C.

skiiboy said:
I’m not going to post the links to all of the sites which show this statistic, you can just do a simple search for this well established data.
Then a simple link to the appropriate Google search will suffice.

skiiboy said:
While I agree that there have not been enough double blind random cross over trials regarding the efficacy of chiropractic,
Have there been any?

skiiboy said:
make no mistake about it…. There has been tons of research about spinal manipulation.
Again, let's see the studies

skiiboy said:
Articles are not studies but it was a good try. It seems you are learning how to provide links, that is the first step.

skiiboy said:
So here is a very concrete risk vs benefit analysis for you FoughtFyr. Rather than a patient taking nsaids routinely for months or years for back/neck pain and risk being one of the 20,000+ people who die every year, or perhaps the 1 in 4 who develop gastrointestinal disorders… instead you seek chiropractic treatment. The chiropractors treatment avoids the dangers of nsaid use and helps alleviate your pain without side effects. Does every single patient respond extremely well to chiropractic care, no. Do most, yes. And if patients opted for this type of care before nsaid use, there is a significant benefit over risk.

Again, lets see the studies.

skiiboy said:
I Am a Chiropractor

I am a Chiropractor working with the sciences of the universe by turning on the life in man through the art of the adjustment. I do not prescribe, treat, or diagnose conditions. I use only my hands. I work with that "mysterious something" with created my body from two cells.
At a time prescribed aeons ago, I was set in this body to experience. That cosmic power which created me, which also moves the seas, rotates the earth, directs the heavens, gives life and takes it away, is everything. And that did not abandon me when I became free of the security of my earthly mother's womb. It is still with me and protects me as it moves all forms toward their final predestined goal.
It is not mine to educatedly ask "why" or "where," but to innately live and live to help my fellow creatures. And with Chiropractic adjustment I use all the powers and energies moving this universe to allow my fellow creatures the chance to live free of disease.
I wish nothing in return; only the chance to GIVE. I give with the only thing I have, LOVE. And I love all by removing that which interferes with 100% of LIFE. I do not look to others for direction; I look within. I am a perfect expression of God living 24 hours each day for others; I am a PRINCIPLED CHIROPRACTOR.

-B.J. Palmer, D.C., Ph. C.

Well this is not the way to attract anybody to Chiropractic. If I heard, "I am a perfect expression of God living 24 hours each day for others," From anyone I'd turn around and walk away. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for love, compassion, and your fellow man, but this is a little too Jones Townish for me. skiiboy, you should follow the example of chirodoc. His posts are well thought out and intelligent. All that's coming from you is propaganda and cool aid.

skiiboy said:
Your contention that physical therapists are trained better than chiropractors is perhaps wishful thinking on your part because its not even close to being true. If you really want to know the truth take a look at any chiropractic curriculum and any physical therapy curriculum. In fact I challenge you to look at what you would call the most philosophical chiropractic school and compare their curriculum to the most scientific-best physical therapy curriculum in the country you can find. In fact please post them up on this board so that everyone can see. The differences are still staggering. Chiropractors are trained to be direct primary care doctors in our healthcare system. Unlike podiatrists and dentists, chiropractors are not limited by region (instead limited by prescription). What does this mean? Well this means that chiropractors are still required to make a differential diagnosis on all patients for all conditions. Chiropractors are trained to do full body, extensive evaluations (neurological, systemic, orthopedic and chiropractic. In addition chiropractors are extensively trained in the interpretation of radiographs. Much more so than a medical doctor(non radiologist). Chiropractics training is actually 5 years but most programs have managed to squeeze them into 4 years. Chiropractic schools offer diplomats in a range of fields, including family medicine, pedatrics and radiology. Even the new “dr.” title being given to some recently graduated physical therapists is not even a clinical doctorate. Its more like a teaching doctorate. In essence it is more of a political move and it creates confusion amongst the public. Certain chiropractic schools in rural areas such as western states even teach extensive gynecology and child birth/ as well as small surgery.

Whether or not one is trained to provide "primary care" does not equate with the quality of education. And yes, I have looked at both DPT and DC curriculums (and heck, I was a fairly recent DC graduate). PT's in most states have direct access to patients without initial referral from a physician. Granted they don't make medical diagnoses, but they do make diagnoses from a physical therapy standpoint and they do make their own management plans. DPT's are trained to screen for medical conditions just like chiropractors are. They just rely on physicians for the real medical work-up (which most DC's in the real world also do). There are also areas in which PT's are better educated and trained than DC's, particularly with cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary issues. And I hate to break it to you, but the DPT is a clinical doctorate cause it's definitely not an academic doctorate (i.e. PhD). I don't like it either but reality is that all programs will be converting to the DPT in the next decade or so. You are right in that it is primarily a political move since the pay and scope of practice doesn't change.

Furthermore, I think chiropractors use of the term "primary care" is misleading and confusing to the public. Primary care in the mainstream sense of the term implies an ability to take care of all basic health care needs of an individual. When I was a chiropractic student and chiropractor, I was fortunate enough to go on medical missions with physicians (and a physician assistant). Needless to say, I was somewhat disappointed that my so-called primary care training in chiropractic was next to useless compared to those who are properly educated and trained in it. Differential diagnosis of a DC for non-musculoskeletal conditions is definitely not on par with that for physicians so please stop implying so.

There's a common perception among chiro students that the basic sci in chiro school is equivalent to that of med school which is just false. This I blame on the chiro colleges whom I think use the similarity of the course names to hype-up their programs. Pick up a Board Review Series Pathology book (or, physiology, micro/immuno, etc.) and go through it. Tell me if that ain't overkill for the chiro boards cause when I used them for the chiro boards, they were. When I got to med school, that's when I really found out that the stuff in there is the bare minimum. Anatomy, neuroscience, and histology were just about the only classes that were similar in content (but still the focus was different as should be expected). And I think you'd be surprised at how well some family physicians can differentially diagnose musculoskeletal complaints as well.

The whole issue of five academic years pushed into 3.5 years is a moot point too which just has more to do with a way for financial aid to be disbursed. DPT programs are 8-9 trimesters long which is either the same or couple trimesters off of a DC program. And I doubt some chiro schools (and I went to a very scientific/evidence-based chiro school) teach extensive gynecology or childbirth seeing how chiropractic schools can hardly get enough patients for their students to be proficient in just even the myriad of musculoskeletal conditions. And as we all know, a ob/gyn residency is four years in length with the craziest hours.

The point to all my rambling is be honest and don't try to overhype the chiropractic education and training for more than what it really is.

FoughtFyr said:
......... The last was an elderly man, now with cauda equina syndrome, who was actually incontient of urine on the chiropractor's table! He was sent home (to rest by the chiropractor) where his son, a paramedic, insisted he go to the ED. To be fair, I do see patients hurt by physicians as well. The difference to me is in the basic effectiveness of the treatment offered (risk versus benefit). I don't see chiropractic as falling on the "right side" of that line, but if there is good evidence out there to the contrary I want to hear it.

- H

http://www2.us.elsevierhealth.com/s...hDBfor=art&artType=full&id=as0161475403002458

An estimate of the risk of spinal manipulation causing a clinically worsened disk herniation or CES in a patient presenting with LDH is calculated from published data to be less than 1 in 3.7 million.

skiiboy said:
Foughtfyr…. The latest studies show that atleast 16,500 people die per year from nsaid us. However most experts believe it may be as high as 40,000 deaths per year. I’m not going to post the links to all of the sites which show this statistic, you can just do a simple search for this well established data.

Actually I have done the search. What I find is a bunch of chiropractic office homepages claiming this. No actual science. GI problems yes, 16,500 deaths directly attributable - no.

skiiboy said:
While I agree that there have not been enough double blind random cross over trials regarding the efficacy of chiropractic, make no mistake about it….

So now we are back to "just trust us, it works"?

skiiboy said:
There has been tons of research about spinal manipulation. Regardless of quality, some very poor – some excellent, almost all studies show chiropractic treatment to have significant efficacy. In fact outspoken critics of chiropractic quickly jumped on one of the more recent studies that showed chiropractic being no more effective than traditional treatment for back pain! The much bigger point about the results of this study is that it is AS effective as the traditional model of treatment BUT without the side effects!

Once again, post the research! And I do agree, it has been shown to be as effective but not more so. My point in the original post is that it seems to me that chiropractic (we agree CMCC is a chiropractic institution - right?) is waking up to the fact that there ARE side effects to chiropractic!

skiiboy said:
Chiropractor’s realignment of joints is actually a pro-physiological treatment and has no side effects.

Except those described in the article as well as the articles it references?

skiiboy said:
Also, brand new research results are showing that cox techniques used by chiropractors (developed by an osteopath) not only ****** the leaking of the disc nucleus in patients with herniated discs, but that it also reverses the herniation by “sucking” the nucleus pulposus back into the joint. My how protocols for back pain patients are changing. Non-invasive techniques are now urged not only by chiropractors but also orthopedists. Back surgeries as a whole are extremely unsuccessful, while study after study shows chiropractic to get patients healthier, faster with less recurrence of episodes. In addition, chiropractic treatment keeps costs down, has higher patient satisfaction and gets better results.

Chiropractics management of back pain saves countless surgeries and brings life back to thousands of people every year.

O.k., we are halfway there. You are posting articles. Now post links to real scientific studies and we will be there.

skiiboy said:
Your contention that physical therapists are trained better than chiropractors is perhaps wishful thinking on your part because its not even close to being true.

Not only do you not read studies, you don't read the posts you respond to. What I very plainly said was that without direct access, a patient being seen by a PT has to have been seen by an MD or a DO. In that case, more serious pathology will have been assessed for. Non-NMS conditions will be able to have been addressed in a meaningful way, basically, the needs of the patient will have been met.

Now skiiboy, you can't have it two ways. Either I am an evil allopath who only "throws NSAIDs" at my patients with back pain, or I evaluate them, rule out significant pathology, and properly refer them to PT for treatment, the very treatment that you are argueing WORKS! Since you have yet to post a "protocol" or even a text reference stating that NSAID use alone is the standard of care, I think you realize that proper assessment and referral is, in fact, the standard. So my patients get the benefits of a complete assessment followed by treatment that is as effective as what you offer, by your own admission.

skiiboy said:
If you really want to know the truth take a look at any chiropractic curriculum and any physical therapy curriculum. In fact I challenge you to look at what you would call the most philosophical chiropractic school and compare their curriculum to the most scientific-best physical therapy curriculum in the country you can find. In fact please post them up on this board so that everyone can see. The differences are still staggering.

I've said it before and I'll say it again for the record - if chiropractors did not have direct access, I would have no problem with them. So, I challenge you to find any combination of medical school AND PT school that is less training than that of a chiropractor, because that is the training my patients are exposed to. They see me first (with nine years of training - 3x that of a chiropractor, even if we assume each year is "equal", a point I am unwilling to concede) AND then seen by a PT with their training. To say nothing of the radiologist who over-reads my assessment, the nursing staff who advocate for the patient through the process, and the physiatrist who oversees the PT's office. But yep - the patient gets the benefit of more training under your model :laugh: {SARCASM - for the cheap seats}

skiiboy said:
Chiropractors are trained to be direct primary care doctors in our healthcare system.

This is the most ignorant statement you have made to date on SDN. A chiropractor, who to start with has, on average, far less academic acumen than the average physician, somehow in three years learns not only all of chiropractic assessment and manipulation, but also takes in an amount of medical knowledge that equals that which it takes MD/DOs a minimum of seven years to aquire? What did the Palmers invent a time/space distortion machine no one is telling us about?

And please, don't point to some "cirriculum" on the web. If you do, I'll post the syllabus from the EMT-Basic class I teach - we cover almost every topic covered in medical school too! What you title courses matters far less than what the course entails! Face facts, even if we grant (and again, I don't) that each year of medical school and chiropractic school are "equal" - chiropractors set up shop after three years! That is less than half of what is needed to become a physician! To say nothing of the fact that a great deal of their clinical experience has been on their classmates, friends, relatives and others recruited to be "patients" instead of real patients with real pathology! How is it that so much information (all that is needed to be a "primary care physician" and well as all of chiropractic) is shoved into those three years? Having actually gone to medical school, I can positively tell you there was absolutely no room to add more information into our courseload. M1 and M2 were roughly equal to trying to drink from a firehose and it damn near destroyed many in my class. Remember that, without question, we started with stronger academians than the average chiropractic college class...

skiiboy said:
Unlike podiatrists and dentists, chiropractors are not limited by region (instead limited by prescription). What does this mean? Well this means that chiropractors are still required to make a differential diagnosis on all patients for all conditions. Chiropractors are trained to do full body, extensive evaluations (neurological, systemic, orthopedic and chiropractic. In addition chiropractors are extensively trained in the interpretation of radiographs. Much more so than a medical doctor(non radiologist).

Bovine Scatology. You seem to hold this study so dear to your heart. Except that for your statement to be true, residents must equate chiropractors. They don't. A resident is, by definition, still in training. The studies on this subject did not include non-radiologists finished with training in comparison to chiropractors.

skiiboy said:
Chiropractics training is actually 5 years but most programs have managed to squeeze them into 4 years.

So there is a time machine! And most chiropractic colleges finish in THREE calendar years.

(from: http://admissions.palmer.edu/DC/DCProgram.htm)

"1) How long is the Doctor of Chiropractic program?

Most students attend classes throughout the year and complete their studies in three and one-third years. (If studies are completed during a typical academic calendar year, it would take five academic years to complete the program.) The Palmer College program in Davenport, Iowa, is 10 trimesters. The Palmer West program in San Jose, Calif., and Palmer Florida program in Port Orange, Fla., are 13 quarters."​

The "trick" of this math is the federal government's definition of an academic year as "two semesters". By the federal loan program, medical school is actually five or six "typical academic calendar years" - depending on the institution. How is it that you think Chiropractic College is so much more rigorous than medical school?

skiiboy said:
Chiropractic schools offer diplomats in a range of fields, including family medicine, pedatrics and radiology. Even the new “dr.” title being given to some recently graduated physical therapists is not even a clinical doctorate. Its more like a teaching doctorate. In essence it is more of a political move and it creates confusion amongst the public.

And chiropractors holding themselves out as "primary care physicians" doesn't confuse the public?

The rest of your post was so ridiculous, I'll deal with it in a separate replies!

- H

skiiboy said:
The stroke issue with cervical manipulation is ridiculous. Chiropractics critics figure that if its said long and hard enough people will just start to believe it. Millions of chiropractic adjustments are given every single year. The amount of stroke cases BELIEVED to even be remotely related are a handful. There is absolutely no evidence to even suggest that these patients would not have ruptured an artery with something as simple as brushing there teeth or extending there head before changing lanes in their car. With millions of adjustments given per year, this statistic is meaningless. Chiropractors are trained to do tests to detect people who have compromised vessels. The sad truth about this is that most non-invasive tests used to diagnose those patients who may have compromised vessels have been shown to unreliable. However there are certainly still specific factors that contradindicate cervical manipulation, and any properly trained chiropractor should know them.

O.k. Just to recap, allopaths are very evil creatures beholden to big pharma, knowingly killing hundreds of thousands each year with NSAIDs and COX-2s. Chiropractors are innocent little lambs who only help and never hurt. Right? O.k., let's look at some evidence. (See, this is where those studies come in).

Here is a great overview of the data on COX-2 (and other NSAIDs):
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/181_10_151104/lan10728_fm.html#i1085795

The APPROVe trial, which is the one which prompted the recall of Vioxx, demonstrated that Vioxx users increased their risk of an MI or stroke by 1.6% (95% CI - 0.3–2.8%). Given that throughout the 95% CI there is an increase, this is statistically significant. The drug was pulled.

Now chiropractic and stroke.

From:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12743225

"RESULTS: After interview and blinded chart review, 51 patients with dissection (mean age 41 +/- 10 years; 59% female) and 100 control patients (44 +/- 9 years; 58% female) were studied. In univariate analysis, patients with dissection were more likely to have had SMT within 30 days (14% vs 3%, p = 0.032), to have had neck or head pain preceding stroke or TIA (76% vs 40%, p < 0.001), and to be current consumers of alcohol (76% vs 57%, p = 0.021). In multivariate analysis, vertebral artery dissections were independently associated with SMT within 30 days (OR 6.62, 95% CI 1.4 to 30) and pain before stroke/TIA (OR 3.76, 95% CI 1.3 to 11). CONCLUSIONS: This case-controlled study of the influence of SMT and cervical arterial dissection shows that SMT is independently associated with vertebral arterial dissection, even after controlling for neck pain. Patients undergoing SMT should be consented for risk of stroke or vascular injury from the procedure. A significant increase in neck pain following spinal manipulative therapy warrants immediate medical evaluation."​

from:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12692699

"Although the pathogenesis of multivessel dissection is unclear, it is thought to be a consequence of underlying collagen vascular disease. We present a 34-year-old previously healthy man who developed bilateral internal carotid and vertebral artery dissection following chiropractic manipulation."​

from:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15513007

"A 26-year-old woman presented with acute headache and hand-motion vision in both eyes. One day prior to presentation she went to her chiropractor for cervical manipulation. The patient had received 20 chiropractic manipulations over the previous two years. CT scan and MRI showed bilateral, symmetric occipital-parietal hemorrhagic infarctions."​

from:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12466778 - Your favorite journal; JMPT (that fun lovin' group of chiro-bashers!)

"OBJECTIVE: To describe a case of dissection of the postero-inferior cerebellar artery (PICA) after cervical manipulation. Clinical Features: After cervical manipulation, a 42-year-old woman had a cerebellar syndrome related to an infarct in the area supplied by the PICA, confirmed by computed tomography of the brain. Cerebral angiography showed a normal appearance of the vertebral artery, a cervical extradural origin of PICA, and a dissection of the latter at the C1-C2 level. Intervention and Outcome: Anticoagulant treatment with heparin was implemented. A positive outcome was achieved after 3 weeks. CONCLUSION: Anatomical variations of the vertebral arteries and their branches are not infrequent and may constitute a predisposing factor to complications after neck manipulation."​

I thought there were "no side effects" to chiropractic? :laugh: Yep it never happens, but the chiropractic journals describe when and how. I guess they are used to reporting on fictional things (like subluxations) anyway...

from:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14586598

"Retrospectively and by standardised interview, we studied 126 patients with cervical artery dissections. Preceding traumata, vascular risk factors, presenting local and ischemic symptoms, and patient-outcome were evaluated. Patients with CAD presented more often with a partial Horner's syndrome and had a higher prevalence of fibromuscular dysplasia than patients with VAD. Patients with VAD complained more often of neck pain, more frequently reported a preceding chiropractic manipulation and had a higher incidence of bilateral dissections than patients with CAD." {emphasis added}​

To be fair, there is an article describing why there is such a different opinion of the level of risk chiropractic manipulation represents.

from:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14589464

"RESULTS: For the 10-year period 1988 to 1997, there were 23 cases of vertebral artery dissection after cervical manipulation reported to the CCPA that represents 85% of practicing chiropractors in Canada. Based on the survey, an estimated 134,466,765 cervical manipulations were performed during this 10-year period. This gave a calculated rate of vertebral artery dissection after manipulation of 1:5,846,381 cervical manipulations. Based on the number of practicing chiropractors and neurologists during the period of this study, 1 of every 48 chiropractors and one of every two neurologists would have been made aware of a vascular complication from cervical manipulation that was reported to the CCPA during their practice lifetime. CONCLUSIONS: The perceived risk after cervical manipulation by chiropractors and neurologists is related to the probability that a practitioner will be made aware of such an incident. The difference in the number of chiropractors (approximately 3,840 in 1997) and neurologists (approximately 4,000 in 1997) in active practice and the fact that each patient who has a stroke after manipulation will likely be seen by only one chiropractor but by three or more neurologists partly explains the difference in experience and the perception of risk of these two professions."​

Notice that in this article, data from a chiropractic insurance agent was used. 23 cases in ten years in Canada. That is not "never", especially if you are one of the 23.

skiiboy said:
For all of the chiropractic students and pre-chiropractic students out there Good luck with everything, your path is an admirable one. Life is short, the calling to help increase the health of your fellow man so that he/she may live to their fullest potential is the highest calling there is. Live with purpose and intention and you will have a happy and satisfied life. If you never even deliver one adjustment, but instead teach others of the incredibly simple yet most powerful concept; that health comes from “above down inside out” and not from pills, potions and lotions.

Unless you train at Western States! :laugh:

skiiboy said:
pseudo-religous drivel snipped

***stifled laugh***

- H

skiiboy said:
Certain chiropractic schools in rural areas such as western states even teach extensive gynecology and child birth/ as well as small surgery.

WOW! :wow: That statement is so ridiculous as to be asinine. But I'll answer it anyway.

from: http://www.worldchiropracticalliance.org/tcj/1994/mar/mar1994e.htm

"PALMER COLLEGE OF CHIROPRACTIC
President Donald Kern. D.C.

A. This letter is in regard to your fax on January 5, 1994, containing the question, "Should chiropractic colleges offer courses in the use of prescription drugs?" The attached should answer your question.

"The Palmer Chiropractic University System does not accept as appropriate certain practices or procedures as forms of chiropractic care. These include but are not limited to the following:

Drugs
Surgery
Acupuncture
Colonic irrigation
Obstetrics
Reduction of fractures
Manipulation and/or adjustment under anesthesia"​

A more recent look ant the same issue:

From: http://www.worldchiropracticalliance.org/tcj/2005/feb/rondberg.htm

"According to information provided by FSU leaders, the school will compromise the basic tenets of chiropractic and be in direct opposition to the principles of chiropractic agreed upon by all other chiropractic college presidents when they signed and endorsed the ACC (Association of Chiropractic Colleges) Position Paper on chiropractic.

That document, subsequently endorsed by nearly every chiropractic organization, states that:

Chiropractic is a health care discipline which emphasizes the inherent recuperative power of the body to heal itself without the use of drugs or surgery

--and--

Chiropractic is concerned with the preservation and restoration of health, and focuses particular attention on the subluxation." {bold added, italics original}​

And

"First, we must safeguard our unique identity as non-medical, subluxation-centered wellness providers. We can't merely be one of a slew of practitioners offering spinal manipulation for neuromusculoskeletal disorders. Subluxation correction is the one thing we do that no one else does, and this will be the key to bringing patients into our office and helping them lead healthier lives without drugs and surgery." {italics added, bold type original}​

So, if Western States is actually teaching this stuff (surgery, etc.) they are going against not only the rest of their profession, but also against the very principles of chiropractic laid out by Palmer. To say nothing of going against the medical practice acts in most states.

- H

rooster said:
http://www2.us.elsevierhealth.com/s...hDBfor=art&artType=full&id=as0161475403002458

An estimate of the risk of spinal manipulation causing a clinically worsened disk herniation or CES in a patient presenting with LDH is calculated from published data to be less than 1 in 3.7 million.

And what are the proven benefits of exposure to that risk? I agree the risk is small. But so is the benefit. How many people would sign up for a lottery where one person in 1 million wins one dollar but where, in the same lottery, one person in 3.7 million gets CES? I don't know - but my guess is one hell of a lot less than 3.7 million.

And working where I do, I will admit to seeing a very skewed population, but that doesn't change the risk v. benefit analysis scientifically available.

BTW - that is a really cool article. Perhaps one of the best review articles I have ever seen published in JMPT. If all chiropractic research was that complete, with that sound and open a methodology, the "answers" we are all looking for would be so much more readily available. Truly a sweet review article - thanks again! :clap:

- H

awdc said:
Whether or not one is trained to provide "primary care" does not equate with the quality of education.

***I'm practicing and I fully agree. Can you elaborate either here or PM/email or your transition to medical school? For instance how has your D.C. background helped/hindered you? Any advance standing credit? Comments on other programs that do offer advance standing? It's been in the back of my mind to plot a course for that commitment to go in the future but it's a BIG decision. I'd love to hear your story. Thanks, chirodoc

email: [email protected]

Quote PublicHealth
Much of the funded research on chiropractic (RCTs, not case studies) are currently in progress or nearing completion. At present, the empirical literature is mixed regarding the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of chiropractic. In my estimation, it'll be at least 10 years before the research is able to definitively determine whether chiropractic is empirically supported.

Well, in allopathic medicine in order for a dug to become approved, we have 'phase III' trials. During that phase, patients can only receive the medication through a study center participating in the formal evaluation of the drug/therapy. These trials are fairly rigorous and all side effects, whether we believe them to be related to the study medication or not, have to be reported to the study monitor. (Granted, manufacturers know how to game the system and some drugs have been approved without the necessary diligence, but overall the system works pretty well. )

I believe that chiropractic should be in 'phase III' trials at this point. There is reason to believe that it might help, but no sufficient knowledge base about its safety. So, until that knowledge can be gained, all patients should be treated within the framework of trials (not necessarily RCT's but controlled trials).

f_w said:
PublicHealth said:
Much of the funded research on chiropractic (RCTs, not case studies) are currently in progress or nearing completion. At present, the empirical literature is mixed regarding the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of chiropractic. In my estimation, it'll be at least 10 years before the research is able to definitively determine whether chiropractic is empirically supported.

Well, in allopathic medicine in order for a dug to become approved, we have 'phase III' trials. During that phase, patients can only receive the medication through a study center participating in the formal evaluation of the drug/therapy. These trials are fairly rigorous and all side effects, whether we believe them to be related to the study medication or not, have to be reported to the study monitor. (Granted, manufacturers know how to game the system and some drugs have been approved without the necessary diligence, but overall the system works pretty well. )

I believe that chiropractic should be in 'phase III' trials at this point. There is reason to believe that it might help, but no sufficient knowledge base about its safety. So, until that knowledge can be gained, all patients should be treated within the framework of trials (not necessarily RCT's but controlled trials).

I love the analogy! It is so very apt when you consider the one simple fact that is so often forgotten during discussions of chiropractic. Chiropractic was "invented" by one man in 1896. It is not the collective wisdom of generations of healers such as most of oriental and allopathic medicine. It is very much the same as if I go to work tomorrow and am asked by a member of the housekeeping staff to assess their deafness. I reluctantly agree. I notice that they are thin so I suggest a diet of chicken soup and hot dogs. Lo and behold, their hearing returns. So I, looking into why this "miracle" occured, decide that a "perfect balance" of animal protiens is necessary to human health. I immediately begin working on the balance to cure cancer.

Here is where your RCT analogy falls apart. Without scientific plausibility (meeting Koch's postulates), no IRB would allow me to begin trials on my animal protien balance product. The same is true of chiropractic. The problem is that David Palmer was not seeking a cure for neuromuscular disorders, he was more concerned with infectious disease...

From: Palmer, DD. 1910. The Chiropractor's Adjuster. Portland Printing House Company: Portland, OR. pp 17-18.

"One question was always uppermost in my mind in my search for the cause of disease. I desired to know why one person was ailing and his associate, eating at the same table, working in the same shop, at the same bench, was not. Why? What difference was there in the two persons that caused one to have pneumonia, catarrh, typhoid or rheumatism, while his partner, similarly situated, escaped? Why? This question had worried thousands for centuries and was answered in September, 1895."​

Unfortunately for chiropractic and its defenders, we now know, to the molecular level, "what difference (there is) in the two persons that cause(s) one to have pneumonia, catarrh, typhoid or rheumatism, while his partner, similarly situated, escape(s)", and the answer is not chiropractic. So an IRB would be unlikely to support the scientific support for chiropractic as it sits.

To carry the analogy out fully, chiropractic could "go back" and re-complete phase I and II for NMS conditions. This does happen in allopathic medicine - remember, viagra was originally intended as an anti-hypertensive agent. This would, however, limit the use of chiropractic to NMS conditions only.

As for me, I'm not feeling all that well and I am on call tonight, so I'm going to go have some chicken soup and hot dogs... who knows?!? :D

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Actually, no medical students do not get hurt "practicing" on each other because they don't (practice on each other). Unlike chiropractic college, we learn by assisting physicians on real patients, with real injuries and illnesses. The superision is close to prevent untoward outcomes and patients are fully informed when students are participating in care. We are not trained by recruiting classmates, friends, and relatives to meet a certain "quota" of procedures.
- H

First time I put in an IV was on a classmate. First time I drew blood was on a classmate too. Their first time was on me too. It hurt. I got over it. But my bruise stayed for a few weeks :) . Also us DO's practice on each other and, although some may disagree, I consider myself a medical student (god, soon to be intern!!!). Dunno, I just think that there is the art of medicine and the science of medicine. Science works for most and is backed up by all sorts of evidence easily explained. But art is just that. An art. Works for some, others--not so much. I've had some of my patients love manipulations. Others it does nothing for. Art vs. Science. Might as well use them together in a complimantary fashion is how I figure. Just my 2 cents.

FlemishGiant said:
First time I put in an IV was on a classmate. First time I drew blood was on a classmate too. Their first time was on me too. It hurt. I got over it. But my bruise stayed for a few weeks :) . Also us DO's practice on each other and, although some may disagree, I consider myself a medical student (god, soon to be intern!!!). Dunno, I just think that there is the art of medicine and the science of medicine. Science works for most and is backed up by all sorts of evidence easily explained. But art is just that. An art. Works for some, others--not so much. I've had some of my patients love manipulations. Others it does nothing for. Art vs. Science. Might as well use them together in a complimantary fashion is how I figure. Just my 2 cents.

First, DOs are ABSOLUTELY physiciansl. I work with several. Wonderful doctors all. Secondly, so was the first AMI you cared for a classmate? How about the first surgery you did - removed your roomate's gallbladder did you? I know, you needed just a few more foley catheder insertions for your ICU rotation, so you called home and dear old Mom came to the rescue! Do you honestly think that the amount of pathology you saw was enchanced at all by your classmate's individual maladies?

See, in chiropractic school, patients are often recruited. This practice extends to family, friends, and classmates. Not a one time IV stick (although most MD/DO schools have moved away from that - bloodbourne pathogens and all), but actually almost all chiropractic procedures performed may be addressed this way.

And in my experience the art of medicine comes in knowing how and when to apply the science.

- H

skiiboy said:
The American Chiropractic Assocation helped to create the following videos. Simple Justice 1 and Simple Justice 2. Please take a few minutes to watch these 2 presentations.

http://www.amerchiro.org/legal/video.shtml

Yep, I did. Didn't change a thing. Go back to the "protien balance" analogy.

from my earlier post:
foughtfyr said:
" It is very much the same as if I go to work tomorrow and am asked by a member of the housekeeping staff to assess their deafness. I reluctantly agree. I notice that they are thin so I suggest a diet of chicken soup and hot dogs. Lo and behold, their hearing returns. So I, looking into why this "miracle" occured, decide that a "perfect balance" of animal protiens is necessary to human health. I immediately begin working on the balance to cure cancer. "

If I convince not only myself, but others that I am right, and I begin to teach classes out of my home - should my students have the privledges of physicians? And let's take it one step further - assume I believe that the dietary animal protien balance is the key to all health and I convince many others of this. My patients, now eating much healthier than they did in the past, feel great! And how could I be wrong? Grandmothers have been "prescribing" chicken soup for centuries! No one has ever been hurt by it. If they only realized that adding hot dogs to the mix would fix everything...

I am so successful, I open a college to teach "protienatics". Now, of course, my methods defy scientific study, I mean sometimes my patients "pig-out" on forbidden foods, the soup wasn't prepared correctly, the hot dogs cooked too long, or not long enough, came from a lazy cow, whatever. BUT, lo and behold, the diet seems to be pretty good at controlling the symptoms of GERD. No better than PPIs, but as good. And with all the recipes I have, my patients love me (and my students!). Of course, on very rare occasion, we treat someone for GERD who is really having an MI, and on even rarer occasion, someone has an allergic reaction to our foods and even dies. But hey, eating is natural! It isn't our fault. The colleges that teach my methods include long classes on physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, and of course, we are the absolute masters of nutrition! I mean these are the same classes allopathic physicians take. Now we have pushed for, and got, practice acts in most states. The AMA fights us of course, but that is not because my methods are unproven, they are just greedy.

In fact, given the OB/GYN shortage (see how bad doctors are, they can't even afford malpractice insurance on the East Coast. That is because they make so many mistakes!) in Pennsylvannia, Eastern States Protienatic College is now teaching homebirths (with the health of my special "delivery diet!") and they also teach minor surgery - it doesn't hurt as much if you chew on a piece of sausage. Of course, I am a bit upset because many of my students disregard all of my teachings except for the treatment of GERD. They think the whole thing is a bit kooky, but they do get to help some people. Others stay true to the faith and push protienatic for all ailments. It may be a bit premature, but I am pretty sure that Texas A&M is going to become the first state backed protienatic college next year. Then we will really have scientific validity. I am sure someone will run some studies that show chicken soup and hot dogs cure everything. Until then, just lie back, and trust me. Drink your chicken soup and eat your hot dogs. Payment due at the time of service.

Tell me, exactly where does this analogy differ from the history of chiropractic other than by your faith that Palmer was right (backed by no scientific evidence)?

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Yep, I did. Didn't change a thing. Go back to the "protien balance" analogy.

If I convince not only myself, but others that I am right, and I begin to teach classes out of my home - should my students have the privledges of physicians? And let's take it one step further - assume I believe that the dietary animal protien balance is the key to all health and I convince many others of this. My patients, now eating much healthier than they did in the past, feel great! And how could I be wrong? Grandmothers have been "prescribing" chicken soup for centuries! No one has ever been hurt by it. If they only realized that adding hot dogs to the mix would fix everything...

I am so successful, I open a college to teach "protienatics". Now, of course, my methods defy scientific study, I mean sometimes my patients "pig-out" on forbidden foods, the soup wasn't prepared correctly, the hot dogs cooked too long, or not long enough, came from a lazy cow, whatever. BUT, lo and behold, the diet seems to be pretty good at controlling the symptoms of GERD. No better than PPIs, but as good. And with all the recipes I have, my patients love me (and my students!). Of course, on very rare occasion, we treat someone for GERD who is really having an MI, and on even rarer occasion, someone has an allergic reaction to our foods and even dies. But hey, eating is natural! It isn't our fault. The colleges that teach my methods include long classes on physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, and of course, we are the absolute masters of nutrition! I mean these are the same classes allopathic physicians take. Now we have pushed for, and got, practice acts in most states. The AMA fights us of course, but that is not because my methods are unproven, they are just greedy.

In fact, given the OB/GYN shortage (see how bad doctors are, they can't even afford malpractice insurance on the East Coast. That is because they make so many mistakes!) in Pennsylvannia, Eastern States Protienatic College is now teaching homebirths (with the health of my special "delivery diet!") and they also teach minor surgery - it doesn't hurt as much if you chew on a piece of sausage. Of course, I am a bit upset because many of my students disregard all of my teachings except for the treatment of GERD. They think the whole thing is a bit kooky, but they do get to help some people. Others stay true to the faith and push protienatic for all ailments. It may be a bit premature, but I am pretty sure that Texas A&M is going to become the first State backed protienatic college next year. Then we will really have scientific validity. I am sure someone will run some studies that show chicken soup and hotdogs cure everything. Until then, just lie back, and trust me. Drink your chicken soup and eat your hotdogs. Payment due at the time of service.

Tell me, exactly where does this analogy differ from the history of chiropractic other than by your faith that Palmer was right (backed by no scientific evidence)?

- H

I need the recipe for your chicken soup, I gave myself a hernia from laughing so hard.

well done.

Unfortunately for chiropractic and its defenders, we now know, to the molecular level, "what difference (there is) in the two persons that cause(s) one to have pneumonia, catarrh, typhoid or rheumatism, while his partner, similarly situated, escape(s)", and the answer is not chiropractic. So an IRB would be unlikely to support the scientific support for chiropractic as it sits.

Well I'm glad you got this completley figured out FoughtFyr... because you probably just might be the only one! Thats quit an accomplishment.

The truth to the question above is that we all have certain genetic predispositions HOWEVER there are environmental triggers which can either turn on/off the expression of such genes. Consequently we are not "slaves" to our genetic code so to speak. Chiropractic teaches that health comes from above down inside out and this continues to be proven so. Please take a look at the teachings of Dr. Bruce Lipton who taught in the department of anatomy at the Wisconsin School of Medicine. Here he explains how cutting edge research is proving the very essence of chiropractic layed out by D.D. Palmer in the late nineteenth century.

http://www.brucelipton.com/chiro1.php

http://www.brucelipton.com/chiro2.php

skiiboy said:
Well I'm glad you got this completley figured out FoughtFyr... because you probably just might be the only one! Thats quit an accomplishment.

Well, when you get to DO school, and take immunology from a professor that is not more cornerned with religion than science (unlike Dr. Lipton) you will "figure it out" too.

BTW - an anatomy professor is probably not the best source to quote on cellular physiology!

Just because someone taught (or teaches) at a medical school, or holds a specific degree does not make them infallible. One of the greatest examples of this is Dr. Laurie Day, M.D. who remains on staff at UCSF and believes she has cured cancer through macrobiotics. Neither her position, nor her degree make her right. Dr. Lipton is a metaphysical nut who has long sought to prove the connection between science and religion. The Lipton writings you posted are more than 5 years old and have not been adequately followed through. Why? Because they haven't held up. Much like chiropractic, it sounded good as a theory, but kind of fell apart in practice.

I guess you can't find an effective argument with the rest of my posts. Oh well. The silence speaks volumes. But call me when you get your DO. I'll need a few instructors for my founding College of Protienatics!

- H

FoughtFyr said:
The writings you posted are more than 5 years old and have not been adequately followed through. Why? Because they haven't held up. Much like chiropractic, it sounded good as a theory, but kind of fell apart in practice.

#2 describes the history of chiropractic: http://nccam.nih.gov/health/chiropractic/index.htm

Complementary and alternative medicine is rapidly gaining popularity and empirical support in the United States. As stated countless times before, chiropractic research is a burgeoning area: http://nccam.nih.gov/news/19972000/030398.htm This is due to decades-long allopathic opposition to chiropractic. For all of those opposed to chiropractic and who think science is "truth," what kind of research would you be conducting if you had minimal research support and faced vehement opposition from the almighty medical profession?

That said, spinal manipulation is only one modality of treatment utilized by DCs. They also receive training in the application of heat and ice, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, rehabilitative exercise, health-related counseling, dietary supplementation, homeopathy, and many also have training in acupuncture.

Foughtfyr, I'm not sure why you're so hung up on philosophy when you consistently demand scientific evidence for chiropractic. There is a difference between efficacy and effectiveness. Here's a review for those who don't know the difference: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/openlearning/uebpp/b5.htm

Check out this article:

Meeker WC, Haldeman S. Chiropractic: a profession at the crossroads of mainstream and alternative medicine. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2002;136(3):216-227.

PublicHealth said:
FoughtFyr said:
The Lipton writings you posted are more than 5 years old and have not been adequately followed through. Why? Because they haven't held up. Much like chiropractic, it sounded good as a theory, but kind of fell apart in practice.
As stated countless times before, chiropractic research is a burgeoning area: http://nccam.nih.gov/news/19972000/030398.htm

Come on. You are not seriously defending Lipton's metaphysical rants are you? That is not chiropractic research - it is not even research at all. It is not part of anything the NCCAM is looking at. Lipton is a nut trying to find God in DNA. It is not even chiropractic except that he believes that D.D. Palmer had the right idea that healthcare is religious. A view chiropractic turned away from in its early years when B.J. Palmer took over (a move Lipton decries in the links skiiboy provides).

Absolutely chiropractic research is a burgeoning area. And if it proves valid, I will be as happy as the next provider to have something new to help my patients. But not until it is proven. The problem is that you, jesse, Backtalk, chirodoc, and especially skiiboy work off of the assumption that the research will prove chiropractic works. As I scientist I make no such assumptions until the work is completed. From the completed work the only real proven facts are that chiropractic patients are subjectively satisfied with their care but are exposed to some (albeit very small) risk of catastrophic adverse effects. That's it. And on balance, that is simply not enough for me.

You asked me earlier what my goal here was. I was trying to find out if there existed research to refute the articles I posted in the OP. Since then, I have realized that Botnick is an unscientific, worthless nut who brings little to the table in this discussion. Thanks. I also realize that chiropractic, as a profession, has really begun to examine the ethics of its own practitioners and doesn't like what they see (from the third article and transcripts of the talks it describes).

I also think that I am now sold that there is a significant area of risk with chiropractic I did not appriciate before. I have always seen the risk of chiropractc as the "missed diagnosis" or "delayed definitive care" for serious NMS and non-NMS conditions because that is what I routinely experience in the ED. I was always aware of the high cervical adjustment / vertebral artery dissection risk, but I agree that is quite low (but higher than that associated with many discontinued allopathic practices). But now I realize that there are actually, plainly demonstrable, minor adverse effects and occasional disasterous effects other than VAD. And that scares me.

To which skiiboy's answer is "you just don't get it. Palmer is God! He knows when you've been sleeping, he knows when you're awake...", and yours is "just wait, I'm sure the research will prove chiropractic really works eventually!" I'm sorry but I don't share either view. I am still very confused as to why you support chiro so ardently without the evidence being in yet...

- H

PublicHealth said:
Complementary and alternative medicine is rapidly gaining popularity and empirical support in the United States. As stated countless times before, chiropractic research is a burgeoning area: http://nccam.nih.gov/news/19972000/030398.htm This is due to decades-long allopathic opposition to chiropractic. For all of those opposed to chiropractic and who think science is "truth," what kind of research would you be conducting if you had minimal research support and faced vehement opposition from the almighty medical profession?

I don't know about the big, evil medical machine that won't let anyone else play in its sandbox. Research has pretty well validated acupuncture - even with "minimal research support and fac(ing) vehement opposition from the almighty medical profession". To the point where the Mayo Clinic now employs acupuncturists.

http://www.mayo.edu/webcasts/ram/050402edge.ram

http://www.mayoclinic.org/checkup-2004/acupuncture-dec.html

http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/SA/00086.html

http://www.whbf.com/global/story.asp?s=2951496&ClientType=Printable

They seem to question chiropractic a bit more (and they do NOT employ any chiropractors).

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/SA/00080.html

Why? Because the science is not behind chiropractic! There does not exist a body of evidence to support its use. You seem to want so badly for chiropractic to be proven that you cry "foul" every time it is not. Science is science and facts are facts. Many "alternative" health models have added substanitively added to the materia medica. Chiropractic hasn't. It doesn't actually seem to work when objectively measured. In the end, I believe it will end up like snake oil and phrenology. But if it turns out to be a proven methodolgy, I will employ it - as I now do acupuncture (by referral). Unlike you, I separate my expectations of what will be proven from what is already proven.

PublicHealth said:
That said, spinal manipulation is only one modality of treatment utilized by DCs. They also receive training in the application of heat and ice, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, rehabilitative exercise, health-related counseling, dietary supplementation, homeopathy, and many also have training in acupuncture.

Most of which goes against chiropractic philosophy. And most straights and straight institutions decry these teachings. And please tell me you do not consider homeopathy valid...

PublicHealth said:
Foughtfyr, I'm not sure why you're so hung up on philosophy when you consistently demand scientific evidence for chiropractic.

Because they are linked. Science is not guesswork. You don't just try random things hoping to hit on one that works. You approach a problem inside of a framework (a philosophy) and then see if your solution works. If it does, you expand the idea within the framework, flushing it out. When sufficently proven, you use the philosophy to teach the next generation of scientists to continue the work. It is called the scientific method. Perhaps you have heard of it?

PublicHealth said:
There is a difference between efficacy and effectiveness. Here's a review for those who don't know the difference: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/openlearning/uebpp/b5.htm

Check out this article:

Meeker WC, Haldeman S. Chiropractic: a profession at the crossroads of mainstream and alternative medicine. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2002;136(3):216-227.

I'll have to get the Meeker article. But you are right, there is a difference between efficacy and effectiveness. But all we currently have for chiropractic is subjective effectiveness and again, that comes along with a fair amount of risk!

- H

skiiboy said:

The truth to the question above is that we all have certain genetic predispositions HOWEVER there are environmental triggers which can either turn on/off the expression of such genes. Consequently we are not "slaves" to our genetic code so to speak. Chiropractic teaches that health comes from above down inside out and this continues to be proven so. Please take a look at the teachings of Dr. Bruce Lipton who taught in the department of anatomy at the Wisconsin School of Medicine. Here he explains how cutting edge research is proving the very essence of chiropractic layed out by D.D. Palmer in the late nineteenth century.

http://www.brucelipton.com/chiro1.php

http://www.brucelipton.com/chiro2.php

Skiiboy, it appears that you are discounting the causative reasons behind infectious disease, such as bacteria, viruses, prions, etc. Is that correct? Do you really believe that infections are the result of imbalances of "innate" blackbox theory as opposed to causative organisms? When was the last time a patient died from sepsis, but had NO bacteria present? Did the attending MD chalk it up to "innate" imbalances??

In terms of Lipton's theories about outside influences affecting cells, yes there is evidence that the environment of a cell does indeed affect its function. An example of this is the PI3 kinase/Akt pathways in malignant cells that control the mTOR pathway. That pathway depends to a large extent on insulin-like growth factor-I, which activates this pathway and lead to further cellular proliferation. There is ALSO evidence that poor nutritional state or lack of nutrients cause this pathway to downregulate. But what you notice is that in no way does this imply something "innate" or "magical" which cannot be confirmed or denied.....it is purely chemical and IS something that can be confirmed in the laboratory setting.

Lipton makes it appear that "spirituality" and "chemical" points of view are mutually exclusive, but perhaps they are not. Many scientists who are religious nonetheless believe that the design of the human body does indeed spring from basic components (i.e. carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, etc). But, to claim that EVERY disease or action in the body is controlled by some "innate" something is quite a stretch, and remains unproven. Can you measure this "innate" energy? Does it have form? To ask scientists and clinicians to somehow "believe" in this without any type of proof is no better than marketing a new pharmacotherapy without clinical trials....the "trust me" statement doesn't work with the FDA.

FoughtFyr said:
Come on. You are not seriously defending Lipton's metaphysical rants are you? That is not chiropractic research - it is not even research at all. It is not part of anything the NCCAM is looking at. Lipton is a nut trying to find God in DNA. It is not even chiropractic except that he believes that D.D. Palmer had the right idea that healthcare is religious. A view chiropractic turned away from in its early years when B.J. Palmer took over (a move Lipton decries in the links skiiboy provides).

Last I checked, Lipton's name was not listed on the NCCAM website.

FoughtFyr said:
Absolutely chiropractic research is a burgeoning area. And if it proves valid, I will be as happy as the next provider to have something new to help my patients. But not until it is proven. The problem is that you, jesse, Backtalk, chirodoc, and especially skiiboy work off of the assumption that the research will prove chiropractic works. As I scientist I make no such assumptions until the work is completed. From the completed work the only real proven facts are that chiropractic patients are subjectively satisfied with their care but are exposed to some (albeit very small) risk of catastrophic adverse effects. That's it. And on balance, that is simply not enough for me.

I agree. In fairness, I think some of us (myself, backtalk, chirodoc, and skiiboy) are a bit more optimistic about what ongoing clinical trials of chiropractic will demonstrate, while others (yourself and pretty much everyone involved in this discussion) are more pessimistic. These are hypotheses.

That said, osteopathic manipulation has received very little empirical attention, and yet it continues to be taught at more than twenty medical schools, as well as internationally. Why?

I find it very hard to believe that you "make no assumptions until the work is completed." Have you read your own posts? They are soiled with assumptions.

FoughtFyr said:
I don't know about the big, evil medical machine that won't let anyone else play in its sandbox. Research has pretty well validated acupuncture - even with "minimal research support and fac(ing) vehement opposition from the almighty medical profession". To the point where the Mayo Clinic now employs acupuncturists.

http://www.mayo.edu/webcasts/ram/050402edge.ram

http://www.mayoclinic.org/checkup-2004/acupuncture-dec.html

http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/SA/00086.html

http://www.whbf.com/global/story.asp?s=2951496&ClientType=Printable

They seem to question chiropractic a bit more (and they do NOT employ any chiropractors).

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/SA/00080.html

Perhaps a little history may help explain why the Mayo Clinic does not employ any chiropractors: http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/18/13/07.html

FoughtFyr said:
I'll have to get the Meeker article. But you are right, there is a difference between efficacy and effectiveness. But all we currently have for chiropractic is subjective effectiveness and again, that comes along with a fair amount of risk!

How else can you measure pain? Last I checked, the outcome measures employed in these studies consistent with the current state-of-the-art in pain assessment: http://nccam.nih.gov/health/chiropractic/index.htm#app1

PublicHealth said:
Perhaps a little history may help explain why the Mayo Clinic does not employ any chiropractors: http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/18/13/07.html

Posting urban legends? I expected better of you. Mayo historians take issue with this account and are quick to point out that there are no verifiable facts in it. And yes, I have actually discussed this with them. It is just a story; re-read it closely - "Dr. P.L. Poulsen of the BJPCC staff informed me that..." I had this friend who knew this guy that one time at band camp... :laugh:

By even this, "pro-chiro" account, Mrs. Mayo had "osteochondromatosis of the knee joint" - an NMS complaint. Also by this account, "Dr. Mayo stated it was impossible for her to get well with what Palmer did, yet he also admitted she was well."

According to my conversations with Mayo historians (not a citable source), this account is pure bunk (I had previously inquired after a relative of mine related the same myth). They stated that there are no records of Edith Mayo (or anyone else in the family) ever being treated at Palmer's Clinic, nor of her having this condition at all. Mayowood, the home shared by Dr. Charlie and Mrs. Edith Mayo, was designed by her and Charlie, and included huge garden paths with many stone staircases (see a picture here: http://olmstedhistory.com/mayowood.htm, the story of the home here: http://www.mayowoodlands.com/past.html, and a bit more here: http://www.postbulletin.com/magazine/2002/10/touring3.shtml). The Mayos were noted to have enjoyed these gardens tremendously, and keeping them was a source of personal pride. If she had suffered from knee pain requiring "doctors in Europe, all distinguished diagnosticians and specialists" to see her as the account describes, some mention of this disability and the resultant "call to arms" of the world's allopaths would have been noted even if you believe the clinic would have suppressed the alleged visit with Palmer. By hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story?

Plus, according to this account: "I was on the staff of the B.J. Palmer Chiropractic Clinic in 1953-54. Although "Dr. Charlie" had passed away in 1939, during that time, 60 to 80 percent of our patients were referred by "someone" on the staff of the Mayo Clinic." This would seem to indicate the Clinic would be quick to hire chiropractors for the same reason they employ acupuncturists; why send away the referal when you can keep the patient under your own roof? But again, why let facts stand in the way now? You certainly don't when you consider chiropractic...

BTW - Do not think for a minute that if there were good science behind chiropractic that other institutions wouldn't snap it up in a minute. Seriously, do you think one supposed disagreement in the early 20th century is behind all of allopathic medicine shunning chiropractic? Come on. You just can't argue the fact that medicine is open to alternative theories that actually work. It takes away an entire aspect of your argument. Face it - chiropractic has no more basis behind it than my example of "protienatics". It is not a prejudice of "traditional" medicine against "alternative" medicine - it is a prediliction of "traditional" medicine for things that work!

PublicHealth said:
How else can you measure pain? Last I checked, the outcome measures employed in these studies consistent with the current state-of-the-art in pain assessment: http://nccam.nih.gov/health/chiropractic/index.htm#app1

Pain is not the measure I refer to. Return to work, return to previous function, demonstrable range of motion, strength. These are the more (but not perfectly) objective measures used. And the "subjective" measures I refer to are not pain measures, but rather subjective reports of patient satisfaction. That, to me, is a measure of how much a patient "likes" a provider, not one of how well their malady was treated.

- H

PublicHealth said:
I find it very hard to believe that you "make no assumptions until the work is completed." Have you read your own posts? They are soiled with assumptions.

Where? Show me. There is a difference between assuming something will remain unproven when multiple studies have failed to prove it and believing, against hope and scientific evidence to the contrary, that something will be proven. The former has evidence behind it.

I stand by all of my analyses except where previously corrected (e.g., I agree Botnick is an agenda driven nut - not a scientist).

- H

FoughtFyr, I know you failed to address these articles, and simply dismissed them because they were links to article rather than studies. But you know that they are articles based on studies, so once again lets not pretend like they dont exist. Positive chiropractic research has not only been based on subjective findings, so please stop propogating this falsehood.

Btw here are some nsaid articles from sources other than "chiropractic homepages". According to one of the articles, it cites the New England Journal of Medicine as follows;

And from the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine...

"It has been estimated conservatively that 16,500 NSAID-related
deaths occur among patients with rheumatoid arthritis or
osteoarthritis every year in the United States. This figure is
similar to the number of deaths from the acquired immunodeficiency
syndrome and considerably greater than the number of deaths from
multiple myeloma, asthma, cervical cancer, or Hodgkin's disease.

If deaths from gastrointestinal toxic effects from NSAIDs were
tabulated separately in the National Vital Statistics reports,
these effects would constitute the 15th most common cause of death
in the United States. Yet these toxic effects remain mainly a
'silent epidemic,' with many physicians and most patients unaware
of the magnitude of the problem.

Furthermore the mortality statistics do not include deaths ascribed
to the use of over-the-counter NSAIDS."

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=15584

http://www.arthritis.healthy-life4u...ie_each_year_from_pain_relief_medication.html

http://www.amda.com/caring/august2004/nsaids.htm

skiiboy said:
FoughtFyr, I know you failed to address these articles, and simply dismissed them because they were links to article rather than studies. But you know that they are articles based on studies, so once again lets not pretend like they dont exist. Positive chiropractic research has not only been based on subjective findings, so please stop propogating this falsehood.

Btw here are some nsaid articles from sources other than "chiropractic homepages". According to one of the articles, it cites the New England Journal of Medicine as follows;

And from the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine...

"It has been estimated conservatively that 16,500 NSAID-related
deaths occur among patients with rheumatoid arthritis or
osteoarthritis every year in the United States. This figure is
similar to the number of deaths from the acquired immunodeficiency
syndrome and considerably greater than the number of deaths from
multiple myeloma, asthma, cervical cancer, or Hodgkin's disease.

If deaths from gastrointestinal toxic effects from NSAIDs were
tabulated separately in the National Vital Statistics reports,
these effects would constitute the 15th most common cause of death
in the United States. Yet these toxic effects remain mainly a
'silent epidemic,' with many physicians and most patients unaware
of the magnitude of the problem.

Furthermore the mortality statistics do not include deaths ascribed
to the use of over-the-counter NSAIDS."

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=15584

http://www.arthritis.healthy-life4u...ie_each_year_from_pain_relief_medication.html

http://www.amda.com/caring/august2004/nsaids.htm

O.k., a few things. Posting several links to the same "internet article" by the same guy (Dr. Brad Krueger) who is selling his own "complete natural liquid supplement for cartilage repair and maintenance, anti-inflammation, and pain control in all new, FlexEasy(tm) at www.flexeasy.com" is probably not the best way to "prove" anything.

That said, Dr. Krueger and the other article you posted both cite this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9715832

I will have to get a copy and read it but at first glance at the abstract there are SERIOUS methodological questions. I'll reserve judgement until I can read it.

Keep going skiiboy - you are almost ready for DO school. Go the little extra mile and actually read the science behind the popular press and you'll be there!

- H

Arch Intern Med. 2004 Oct 11;164(18):1985-92.

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/95/103236.htm?pagenumber=1

An interesting phenomenon is how the conclusion of the original paper:

CONCLUSIONS: Access to managed chiropractic care may reduce overall health care expenditures through several effects, including (1) positive risk selection; (2) substitution of chiropractic for traditional medical care, particularly for spine conditions; (3) more conservative, less invasive treatment profiles; and (4) lower health service costs associated with managed chiropractic care. Systematic access to managed chiropractic care not only may prove to be clinically beneficial but also may reduce overall health care costs.

is twisted into:

Compared with doctor-only health plans, the study found that:

* Chiropractic care cut the cost of treating back pain by 28%.
* Chiropractic care reduced hospitalizations among back pain patients by 41%.
* Chiropractic care reduced back surgeries by 32%.
* Chiropractic care reduced the cost of medical imaging, such as X-rays or MRIs, by 37%.

...in the webMD throwaway.

The study has a major flaw, and the authors are acutely aware of this problem: SELECTION BIAS

The beneficiaries had the choice to add chiro care as a rider on their insurance plan. As a result, the study group consisted of people who chose chiropractic care and are more likely to not seek conventional care for a condition like LBP.
It is not chiropractic CARE that 'reduced back surgeries by 32%'. It is a more conservative patient population that opted for non-surgical treatment more often than the control population.

This is a problem, commonly found with retrospective studies based on insurance utilization data. This study might be interesting for employers who try to decide whether offering the chiropractic rider to their employees is a cost effective strategy. It offers NO PROOF that chiropractic care works.

Oh, the authors are actually smart people. They looked at selection bias in their study in a follow-up publication, and guess what they found:

J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2005 Mar-Apr;28(3):164-9.

RESULTS: The cohort with chiropractic coverage was younger with fewer subjects in the older age group (>65 years; 6.5% vs 9.6%) and more subjects in the younger age group (0-17 years; 31.9% vs 26.2%). The mean age of the group with coverage was 32.9 compared with 35.5 in the group without coverage. Comparing self-selected chiropractic patients to self-selected medical patients, there were fewer subjects older than 65 years in the chiropractic group (4.9% vs 9.2%) and fewer subjects aged 0 to 17 years (9.4% vs 19.4%). In 6 of the 8 comorbid conditions studied, the rates were lower in the cohort with chiropractic coverage compared with the group without coverage. The rates of comorbid conditions in self-selected chiropractic patients were lower in all 8 categories compared with self-selected medical patients.

This study is comparing apples with bananas.

f_w said:
Arch Intern Med. 2004 Oct 11;164(18):1985-92.

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/95/103236.htm?pagenumber=1

***Insightful and complete analysis of the differences between a popular press article and the journal article that inspired it snipped***

This study is comparing apples with bananas.

See skiiboy, this is the difference. It is not that I "dismiss" the popular press articles you post, it is that I often do not have the time to do the legwork and find the original source. Besiding which, if you offer up a popular press article to make your point, that legwork is kind of incumbant on you. It is fairly accepted that popular press articles are written to sell ad space, not advance science, so you can't rely on their assessment of a paper's findings or validity.

Don't worry, this is great practice for your clinicals in a few years. You'll have the hang of it by then! :D

- H

skiiboy said:
But I want you to honestly take a look at how the average family doc(md or do) treats someone with neck or back pain and its probably one of the most unscientific protocols in all of medicine. They usually slap on some strain or sprain diagnosis and offer anti-inflammatorys. .

Dude, I got serious porblems with this statement. Does Agency of Healthcare and Policy Research mean any thing to you?

Physicans should be following these guidelines based on EBM. Here's the link to Acute Low Back Pain protocol. http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?ss=15&doc_id=4112&nbr=3157&string=

But I want you to honestly take a look at how the average family doc(md or do) treats someone with neck or back pain and its probably one of the most unscientific protocols in all of medicine. They usually slap on some strain or sprain diagnosis and offer anti-inflammatorys. .

Dude, I got seriouse porblemss with this statement. Does Agency of Healthcare and Policy Research mean any thing to you?

Physicans should be following these guidelines based on EBM. Here's the link to Acute Low Back Pain protocol.

No, that would mean to allow facts to get into the way of deeply ingrained convictions. Lol

:laugh: What are you guys kidding me? If you follow this protocol as a family physician, you just might be the only one. I've shadowed several different doctors and have never seen them do a work up like this. I have never seen a family doc use his fingers to palpate the spineous processes or transverse processes. Secondly most family docs do not even have an x-ray machine in the office and if they do its for chest films, and is never used for spine. Pretty much if the patient doesnt have radiating pain, numbness or tingling and theres no sign of a broken bone or fracture... out comes the old strain and sprain diagnosis. Also, it is not continually active treatment like a chiropractor usually prescribes to help restore motion and flexibility to joints but rather a prescription for anti-inflammatories or muscle relaxants, maybe even a brace. Most patients take this garbage and if there lucky enough that it helps.. it only helps for a short time while there on the medication. And relapse almost certainly occurs. This is precisely the reason that many ER's now have chiropractors on staff. From what I have heard, patients who go to the ER and see a chiropractor not only have extremely high patient satisfaction but also have much better results. Usually if its uncomplicated back pain, the ER just ships em off with pain meds. I know FoughtFyr, since there is no link to a study here, I might as well have not even posted a response. Well I'm sorry I couldnt help myself, this study was my own, which came from my own observations. For whatever its worth.

skiiboy said:
:laugh: What are you guys kidding me? If you follow this protocol as a family physician, you just might be the only one. I've shadowed several different doctors and have never seen them do a work up like this. I have never seen a family doc use his fingers to palpate the spineous processes or transverse processes. Secondly most family docs do not even have an x-ray machine in the office and if they do its for chest films, and is never used for spine. Pretty much if the patient doesnt have radiating pain, numbness or tingling and theres no sign of a broken bone or fracture... out comes the old strain and sprain diagnosis. Also, it is not continually active treatment like a chiropractor usually prescribes to help restore motion and flexibility to joints but rather a prescription for anti-inflammatories or muscle relaxants, maybe even a brace. Most patients take this garbage and if there lucky enough that it helps.. it only helps for a short time while there on the medication. And relapse almost certainly occurs. This is precisely the reason that many ER's now have chiropractors on staff. From what I have heard, patients who go to the ER and see a chiropractor not only have extremely high patient satisfaction but also have much better results. Usually if its uncomplicated back pain, the ER just ships em off with pain meds. I know FoughtFyr, since there is no link to a study here, I might as well have not even posted a response. Well I'm sorry I couldnt help myself, this study was my own, which came from my own observations. For whatever its worth.

Ski-boy X-rays for LBP are not indicated as part of routine screening for LBP untill 4-6 wks out unless there are red flags.

Also you're basing your assesment that all fps hand out NSAIDS or "muscle relaxant" based on shadowing 1 fp you're more naive then I thought. If this fp gets dragged into court by one of his/her LBP patients and they were'nt following AHCPR or practcing EBM, then they were not treating their patient to the standard of care.

Also can you show us a link that shows us a few of the "many ERs" that have a chriopractor of staff.

Oh one more thing if the "study" was your own write it up and post here for us. This way we can determine for our selves if its valid and disuss it.
As FoughtFrys sig says "In God we trust. All others bring DATA."

Interesting, though I wonder why they are not using PM&R physicans for that task.