Help with lysosomal storage and glycogen dz's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lasek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you learn all those lysosomal and glycogen diseases? They all look the same to me and I keep confusing which is which. Can anyone help?
Also, how important are they on the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Im having the same problem. So much to remember, but yet so boring.

joshua_msu said:
Im having the same problem. So much to remember, but yet so boring.
i'm going thru HY biochem now...i'm making up really stupid things to differentiate the dzs. if interested, i'll post my stupid stuff if you think it may help.
streetdoc

streetdoc said:
i'm going thru HY biochem now...i'm making up really stupid things to differentiate the dzs. if interested, i'll post my stupid stuff if you think it may help.
streetdoc

I dont know if it will help, but it deffinetely cant hurt. :)
If you can post it, it would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
KNOW them cold-- that's where a lot of the biocehm questions are pulled out from, even though they are so rate. I took a short kaplan course, and the biochem dude gave us his top ten list, and he said 7 or 8 usually show up (and this was vouced by my friend who is a M4; he said he looked at the list the morning while eating bfast, and sure enough, 6 of them were on). So, make sure u know those--a lot of them u can figure out the sx based on where the defect is.

Also, only pompe's has CARDIAC effects (cariomegaly), tay sacchs does not have hepatomegaly, while the other lysosomals do. Von gierkes has SEVERE hypoglycemia, becuse it inhibits glc 6 phosphatase, thus, u block the common final p/w for both gluconeogenesis and glycoenolysis. While, Her's disease is deficient in heaptic glycogen phosphorylase, and thus, gluconeo can still take place, and u get mild hypogylcemia and mild liver path. Anyways, u can kinda figure these out--they're not that bad, but then again, i like biochem for some odd reason.

HiddenTruth said:
KNOW them cold-- that's where a lot of the biocehm questions are pulled out from, even though they are so rate. I took a short kaplan course, and the biochem dude gave us his top ten list, and he said 7 or 8 usually show up (and this was vouced by my friend who is a M4; he said he looked at the list the morning while eating bfast, and sure enough, 6 of them were on). So, make sure u know those--a lot of them u can figure out the sx based on where the defect is.

Also, only pompe's has CARDIAC effects (cariomegaly), tay sacchs does not have hepatomegaly, while the other lysosomals do. Von gierkes has SEVERE hypoglycemia, becuse it inhibits glc 6 phosphatase, thus, u block the common final p/w for both gluconeogenesis and glycoenolysis. While, Her's disease is deficient in heaptic glycogen phosphorylase, and thus, gluconeo can still take place, and u get mild hypogylcemia and mild liver path. Anyways, u can kinda figure these out--they're not that bad, but then again, i like biochem for some odd reason.

Her's isn't in FA. What's up with that? I'll admit I never learned it in my course either.

Pox in a box said:
Her's isn't in FA. What's up with that? I'll admit I never learned it in my course either.
yea i know, i never learnt it either--maybe it's just another dude who got jealous and is trying to get some credit. It's in kaplan though, for what that's worth--well now u know it, so it shouldn't matter.

HiddenTruth said:
yea i know, i never learnt it either--maybe it's just another dude who got jealous and is trying to get some credit. It's in kaplan though, for what that's worth--well now u know it, so it shouldn't matter.

Actually I learned it earlier this week. I'm considering adding it to my book I'm writing after medical school called "Low Yield USMLE Core Knowledge 2008." Amazon is already taking pre-orders in case you want to get in on the action...it's going to be a lot cheaper than First Aid and always updated with new content EVERY year. It's going to be the book everyone references in lecture and on the wards.

"Hey, last night I was reading in my LYUCK about..."

suprisingly, I barely had any.

However, my friends had alot.

I found the BRS path section to be the best at memorzing them.

IMHO,

USFOptho

I don't remember having any but that could just mean they were easy ones that required no thought. I seem to only remember the questions I struggled between 2 answers or had no clue.

So I guess I cant ignore them completely and hope they dont show up... :(

Those are a pain to remember. For painful things, I use mnemonics. Now this one is hard and so are the mnemonics for it. I have a way of remembering the diagram in FA - mnemonic has to do with General Motors (GM 1,2,3) and cars and stuff. It would take me a while to write it up clearly - I am willing to do so ONLY if you think you will use it and need it. Let me know. It's not the greatest of mnemonics and will require some work but it helps. I also have a decent way to remember how to draw the brachial plexus too, same offer stands (this ones pretty good).

take care,

viper said:
Those are a pain to remember. For painful things, I use mnemonics. Now this one is hard and so are the mnemonics for it. I have a way of remembering the diagram in FA - mnemonic has to do with General Motors (GM 1,2,3) and cars and stuff. It would take me a while to write it up clearly - I am willing to do so ONLY if you think you will use it and need it. Let me know. It's not the greatest of mnemonics and will require some work but it helps. I also have a decent way to remember how to draw the brachial plexus too, same offer stands (this ones pretty good).

take care,

Let's hear it. TIA.

Once again this isn't the greatest mnemonic, but here it goes:

look at p.143 of FA to follow along.

Going down the center - General motors 1,2,3 likes good cars. (GM1, GM2, GM3, Lactosyl, Glucocerebroside, Cerebroside).
Circle the cars (cerebroside) as that is the big gun.

The first line across is "Good Cars Like" - (Globoside, Ceramide, lactosyl - in the original pathway).

Last line is - "Slow Green Cars Suck" - (sulfatides, galactocerebroside, cerebroside (cars as before - should be circled), sphingomyelin).

Now cars (cerebroside is circled) - all three things coming into this are the three diseases. Note that all lines in the last pathway are diseases also.

There are only two other diseases - jsut look at those - it is more complicated to explain those with mnemonics than it's worth.

Hopefully this helps. Try to write it out next to the actual pathway so it makes more sense - any feedback is appreciated.