Step I How does insulin stimulate glycogen synthase?

Started by Lothric
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lothric

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take a look at the diagram.

I don't understand the part with insulin receptor stimulation. The pathway that leads to protein phosphatase I understand (involves PI-3K). But apparently, there is another pathway that stimulates glycogen synthase (based on two arrows from the insulin receptor). What is this other pathway? Could it involve PI-3K as well? This pathway leads to phosphorylated Akt (PKB) but Akt will just phosphorylate things, so even if it did phosphorylate glycogen synthase this would inactive it rather than stimulate it. I'm assuming therefore there is another pathway I'm not aware of.
 

Attachments

  • 5235324.PNG
    5235324.PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 155