Affirmative Action in Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Pdizzle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would first like to state that I'm not trying to start a flame war in any way, shape, or form; if you're looking to squabble, look elsewhere. But I am curious, as my time before applying to medical schools dwindles, do all medical schools practice affirmative action and if so, to what extent? If not all medical schools practice affirmative action, which schools don't rely on affirmative action at all or as much as others? Any info/links on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

cali schools dont practice aa.

dead_horse.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
ForbiddenComma, you must be pretty bored to post on a thread in which you have nothing to contribute to other than an off-topic remark :thumbdown:

cali schools, is that including stanford? I thought stanford did

I thought affirmative action, or at least the quota and points systems, were been abolished. However, Adcoms are told to take into consideration the ethnicity of each applicant. Whatever that means.

I believe "diversity" is policy in nearly every school.

All schools, whether they call it that or not, discriminate by race. It's just the way things are done.

I will say that it seems that AA plays a lesser role in med school admissions than it does in law school admissions, at least from my observations.

Most likely, the higher ranked the school, the more it relies upon AA, as is the case with law schools. This has more to do with the supply of students with top numbers. There aren't that many 3.9 36s in the country, for instance.

Med admissions does allows for the consideration of more variables than does law or college admissions, so you're seeing a more wholistic view of the applicant in med school admissions than in law.

freaker said:
Most likely, the higher ranked the school, the more it relies upon AA, as is the case with law schools. This has more to do with the supply of students with top numbers. There aren't that many 3.9 36s in the country, for instance.

Dont you mean the supply of minority students with top numbers?just to be more precise

AA means affirmative action??? somofabitch, i thought my weekly meeting was supposed to be here.

atp2amp said:

I agree. Technically, affirmative action is kinda dead. But many schools are hyped on diversity now. And many times its not just diversity in race, but age, extracurricular interests, etc. Also, at many schools they also have actual people who's job is to mangage the diversity at the school. I know for sure University of Maryland has one. If AA truly is gone, it has morphed into a much more vague policy of 'improving diversity'. And just for the record I'm black.

There are way too many threads about this stuff, but I guess thats life. I do love the fact that we are in America though, and in America the minority (not just racial) is never without some power or say. We see it in Congress and we see it in the med school app process. Of course, these two are probably completely unrelated, but its 1:39 a.m and I think I'm allowed to ramble. Lol.

atp2amp said:
I agree. For example, in CA asians would not increase the diversity of any entering med classes, but in the south east, asians would improve the diversity. Maybe that's why I got interviewed at 2 southern schools.

damn us asians! but duely noted :thumbup:

nockamura said:
I agree. For example, in CA asians would not increase the diversity of any entering med classes, but in the south east, asians would improve the diversity. Maybe that's why I got interviewed at 2 southern schools.