LORs question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Devil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I applied last year but didn't get in anywhere :( My grades, extracurriculars, experiences are great, but my MCAT score was low. So, I took the MCAT again in April and I'll get the scores soon. If the scores are much better, I will apply again. Now, my question is, do I need to get updated LORs from my professors? Or, can I use the same ones with the dates updated? The only new letter I will have is from my current employer. The reason I ask all this is because I've heard people say that if the LORs didn't get me in before, the same ones won't help me if I reapply. But, I know where my weakness was...not the letters, but the MCAT scores. So, would it be ok to use the same LORs with updated dates and a new one from my employer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Red Devil said:
Hey All,

I applied last year but didn't get in anywhere :( My grades, extracurriculars, experiences are great, but my MCAT score was low. So, I took the MCAT again in April and I'll get the scores soon. If the scores are much better, I will apply again. Now, my question is, do I need to get updated LORs from my professors? Or, can I use the same ones with the dates updated? The only new letter I will have is from my current employer. The reason I ask all this is because I've heard people say that if the LORs didn't get me in before, the same ones won't help me if I reapply. But, I know where my weakness was...not the letters, but the MCAT scores. So, would it be ok to use the same LORs with updated dates and a new one from my employer?

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. But I can only get a new letter from my employer. Does your campus have a pre-med LOR committee? At my school, we are told to submit letters as we finish the course. So my letters came in at different times to the LOR committee. So there is no point getting new dates from the professors who wrote the letters last time, unless they have something meaningful to add. Definitely get at least one new letter, from your employer. If your employer is in a health-related field, that may be all you need.

I also have low MCAT scores from last year, and I am waiting for the April scores to come out. I was told that my scores were low, but I also applied late. If your letters were good, then the only thing you need to worry about is the MCAT.

Each person's case may differ, but I hope this helps.

etudiante04 said:
I am in the same boat. But I can only get a new letter from my employer. Does your campus have a pre-med LOR committee? At my school, we are told to submit letters as we finish the course. So my letters came in at different times to the LOR committee. So there is no point getting new dates from the professors who wrote the letters last time, unless they have something meaningful to add. Definitely get at least one new letter, from your employer. If your employer is in a health-related field, that may be all you need.

I also have low MCAT scores from last year, and I am waiting for the April scores to come out. I was told that my scores were low, but I also applied late. If your letters were good, then the only thing you need to worry about is the MCAT.

Each person's case may differ, but I hope this helps.

So for our additional letter should we have the recommender send it to all the schools, or can we have them send it to our school to send out w/ the committee letter? I contacted my pre-med advisor but he hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I should eventually hear from him. My concern is if my recommender has to do it his/herself, that'll be a lot to ask. Thoughts anyone?

CTG said:
So for our additional letter should we have the recommender send it to all the schools, or can we have them send it to our school to send out w/ the committee letter? I contacted my pre-med advisor but he hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I should eventually hear from him. My concern is if my recommender has to do it his/herself, that'll be a lot to ask. Thoughts anyone?

For my school, I send it to the committee. The committee will add it to the previous packet, write an updated letter, and supply the committee packet to all the schools. You should ask another person from your school, if your advisor is unresponsive (for example, another student who has been in your shoes.