I Made a List that Shows How Different Schools Look at Multiple MCATs- Hope it Helps!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalabear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This list is in no particular order and represents about 40 or so schools. Thought this might help those of you taking the MCAT multiple times. I called each school and asked them how they viewed the MCATs and here is what they said.

Stanford: Look at all the scores- look for improvement

Yale: Look at all the scores- look most at highest score- but look for improvement

GW: Look at highest score in each section. Look at trends too.

Georgetown: Look at most recent score

Emory: Look at highest score

Northwestern: Most recent score- both scores considered though

U. of Louisville: Most recent score

Tulane: Highest score

U. of Maryland: Look at all scores

Boston University: Highest score

Tufts: Highest score for each section

Dartmouth: Most recent score

Columbia: Look at all scores- look for improvement

Cornell (Weill): Look at all scores- look for improvement

NYU: Look at all scores- look for improvement

Duke: Most recent score

UNC: Look at all scores- look for improvement

Wake Forest: Highest score

Drexel: Most recent score- but look at trends

Jefferson: Look at all scores

Temple: Highest score

U.Penn: Most recent score

U.Pittsburgh: Look at all scores

Vanderbilt: Most recent score- look for trends

Baylor: Most recent score

U. Vermont: Most recent score

Eastern Virginia: Most recent score

UVA: Highest score

U. of California-San Francisco: Most recent score

U. of Connecticut: Look at all scores- look for improvement

U. of Miami: Most recent score

Loyola: Average scores

Rush: Most recent score

U. of Chicago-Pritzker: Look at all scores

U. of Illinois at Chicago: Highest score

U. of Kentucky: Most recent score- look for improvement

Michigan State: Average scores

Wayne State: Look at all scores

St. Louis University: Highest score

Creighton University: Depends on committee member-some average, some take highest, some most recent, etc.

Robert Wood Johnson: Most recent score

Albany: Look at all scores (no cutoffs)

New York Medical College: Look at all scores

Case Western: Most recent score

Ohio State: Most recent score

Medical College of Wisconsin: Highest score from each section

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, this is a very helpful list. I've been told in that past that all allopathics average the scores (which seems unfair). What seems reasonable is to take the best components of each score, as colleges do for the SAT, since they demonstrate the extent of your MCAT success. Apparently this isn't true, and if they look at the latest score, that will be very helpful.

Thanks so much koalabear! One of the most helpful posts ever! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
mercaptovizadeh said:
Thanks, this is a very helpful list. I've been told in that past that all allopathics average the scores (which seems unfair). What seems reasonable is to take the best components of each score, as colleges do for the SAT, since they demonstrate the extent of your MCAT success. Apparently this isn't true, and if they look at the latest score, that will be very helpful.

They wouldn't look at the best components of each score b/c then many ppl could just study for a different section three different test times or just focus on two sections one time and the last section on a different test.
And then it wouldn't be a good indicator at all.

Thanks! Very informative. If you have any extra time, would you check on some additional schools? :D

tennisnr said:
They wouldn't look at the best components of each score b/c then many ppl could just study for a different section three different test times or just focus on two sections one time and the last section on a different test.
And then it wouldn't be a good indicator at all.

I don't see this at all. It's like saying that if you took four final exams over three weeks as opposed three days, that would not be a good indicator of your aptitude on the final exams. This doesn't make sense. All it may indicate is differences in the test (for the purposes of the MCAT).

Where did you get this info?

Smyle4Jenn said:
Where did you get this info?

he said he called every school and asked. Very useful by the way, thanks for your time!

koalabear said:
Hi Everyone,
This list is in no particular order and represents about 40 or so schools. Thought this might help those of you taking the MCAT multiple times. I called each school and asked them how they viewed the MCATs and here is what they said.

Stanford: Look at all the scores- look for improvement

Yale: Look at all the scores- look most at highest score- but look for improvement

GW: Look at highest score in each section. Look at trends too.

Georgetown: Look at most recent score

Emory: Look at highest score

Northwestern: Most recent score- both scores considered though

U. of Louisville: Most recent score

Tulane: Highest score

U. of Maryland: Look at all scores

Boston University: Highest score

Tufts: Highest score for each section

Dartmouth: Most recent score

Columbia: Look at all scores- look for improvement

Cornell (Weill): Look at all scores- look for improvement

NYU: Look at all scores- look for improvement

Duke: Most recent score

UNC: Look at all scores- look for improvement

Wake Forest: Highest score

Drexel: Most recent score- but look at trends

Jefferson: Look at all scores

Temple: Highest score

U.Penn: Most recent score

U.Pittsburgh: Look at all scores

Vanderbilt: Most recent score- look for trends

Baylor: Most recent score

U. Vermont: Most recent score

Eastern Virginia: Most recent score

UVA: Highest score

U. of California-San Francisco: Most recent score

U. of Connecticut: Look at all scores- look for improvement

U. of Miami: Most recent score

Loyola: Average scores

Rush: Most recent score

U. of Chicago-Pritzker: Look at all scores

U. of Illinois at Chicago: Highest score

U. of Kentucky: Most recent score- look for improvement

Michigan State: Average scores

Wayne State: Look at all scores

St. Louis University: Highest score

Creighton University: Depends on committee member-some average, some take highest, some most recent, etc.

Robert Wood Johnson: Most recent score

Albany: Look at all scores (no cutoffs)

New York Medical College: Look at all scores

Case Western: Most recent score

Ohio State: Most recent score

Medical College of Wisconsin: Highest score from each section

i'm almost positive that MSU CHM will take into account the sections you scored the highest in, rather than average.

univ of hawaii - most recent (from meeting w/ associate dean)

mercaptovizadeh said:
I don't see this at all. It's like saying that if you took four final exams over three weeks as opposed three days, that would not be a good indicator of your aptitude on the final exams. This doesn't make sense. All it may indicate is differences in the test (for the purposes of the MCAT).

Sorry, i dont agree with you. Because most undergrad institution take the composite score of the SATs, i had many friends who took the SAT twice...the first time they concentrated on verbal, the second, they concentrated on math. They wound up with like 1100's on each test...but taken as a composite score, they got like 1500's and lots of undergrad institutes took that.

There is a big difference and it makes more sense that the choice of MCAT is left up to the individual institution.

Thanks OP for your hard work and ur long distance calling!!!!! you are very generous is sharing the information with us and most of all, you rock.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I don't understand is why schools would average scores even if one of them is from a couple of years ago. They don't even accept scores from...what is it, 3 years ago? Scores that old "expire" because they're not an indicator of your academic 'readiness' (for lack of a better word) at the present time.

Not that this is all supposed to make sense. When you have thousands of applicants, I guess you have to be somewhat arbitrary.

I'm not too sure about the validity of all this info; I called NYMC to check their policy on multiple MCAT scores, and an admissions official stated that they use the most recent score; definitely different from the OP's quote.

westnile....I called each school and included exactly what they told me but definitely double check if you have conflicting information. I promise I would never post anything that I didn't feel was accurate.

people were looking for this thread... we might need to update some info though.

MSU-CHM is wrong I believe, they take your highest score

Sooner or later your file is going to be in the hands of a real person whose going to look at ALL your test scores, then will come the a-reckoning.

Jefferson averages each section individually (& they want each to average to an 8 or better)

how do u know this is accurate at all?

Can someone confirm loyola averaging scores, if they do I will not apply....

Anyone know about University of Michigan?

take highest score

Does Loyola average each individual section? Or do they avg each separate test date composite score?

Loyola DOES average scores. They take your latest 2 tests and they have to average to a 24 or better. I don't know if they go by section, like Jefferson does.

how do u know this is accurate at all?

If you're asking ME about my Jefferson post, I know b/c I spoke w/the Dean there last year. About the OP, I couldn't say. (After all, they didn't have Jefferson correct - even if you look in MSAR it says they average scores!)

fwiw - i believe ECU (Brody), East Carolina University, takes highest of each section. Didn't notice it on the list.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I think it's worth noting that the AMCAS application update that is sent contains both scores side-by-side, so "looking at the most recent score" is sort of irrelevant unless it's in the context of a cutoff or direct student-to-student comparison as the basis for a decision.

In other words, all scores will be seen, irrespective of how those scores are then utilized.

I digged through some old threads because I was wondering which schools averaged MCAT scores. This seems very helpful, but it is rather outdated. Can we put together are more up to date list?