Chances of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConcernedGuy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a few confused turns as to what I want to do in life, I finally decided I am interested in getting into a PsyD program. How difficult are these programs to get in? I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, but I'm concerned that I won't really stand out. I have no job experience and no research work. My overall GPA is maybe like a 3.3 or 3.4, but I really don't have any extracurriculars to make me stand out. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I plan to soon. What do they look at the most? Would some last minute social work help much?

Is there another program that leads to similar work(counceling) that's not as hard to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh good. I was quite worried. Anyone know anything about the program in Argosy over Atlanta?

Paendrag said:
Psy.D. programs in general aren't that difficult to get into. Just get above 1000 on the GRE and you should be set.

That is absurd advice. I'm getting tired of people lumping all Psy.D programs into one negative category. All Psy.D programs are NOT easy to get into. Check the admission criteria for univeristy-based Psy.D programs. Many of these programs are just as difficult to get into as Ph.D programs. There are also Psy.D programs out there that provide full funding. If you're interested in getting into one of these programs, you will have to do VERY well on your GRE and subject test to offset your low GPA. These programs will also be looking for research and clinical experience.

Now, if you're looking into professional Psy.D programs, such as Argosy, I would agree with Paendrag's statement. Please research these professional schools carefully; what they have to offer, the debt you will acquire, and the student to teacher ratio before making your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to know about Argosy's Atlanta PsyD program. I know that it is a professional school but is it highly regarded? Quality of instruction and practicum experiences?

I'm afraid that you will have trouble getting into even the least selective PsyD program with zero clinical experience. So I would definitely advise getting some now. Even so, you will have less than a year's experience by the time you apply...which isn't much.

If I were you, I'd either look at either taking a year or two off and getting both clinical and research experience or doing a master's in counseling first. Naturally a masters program is easier to get into than a doctorate.

As to what criteria are most important for PsyD programs, clinical experience is up there with GPA/GREs.

PsyD123 said:
That is absurd advice. I'm getting tired of people lumping all Psy.D programs into one negative category. All Psy.D programs are NOT easy to get into.

Amen to that! I graduated from a very well-known, respected, and consistently high ranking university with a 3.97 GPA, a well-above 1000 GRE score, 2 years of experience working in a clinical environment, and I was in some really tough sompetition when I applied to grad schools. I was only interested in a PsyD. degree and I will tell you that they are not as easy to get into as some will lead you to believe. They may accept more than 1-5% of their applicants, but you will still be competing against very intelligent, well-versed, experienced applicants.

My advice is to get some solid work experience and really evaluate why you want to be in a PsyD program. From my experience, these programs seem to be more interested in learning about your intentions and your potential, rather than what you score on a test. Also, I would look into some of the smaller schools and programs. I could be getting bad info, but from what I have heard, Argosy is one of those schools that kind of churns them out. But like I said, I could be wrong, I am a New England girl, so I don't really know what the deal is in Atlanta.

Good luck with your apps, and remember, everyone is partial to whatever program they are currently in. The majority of the people on these boards are PhD bound so don't be suprised to get some slack for choosing the "easy PsyD." It's not easy and once we graduate, we are all colleagues and equals. :luck: