question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themach

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when schools ask for a letter from pre-med advisory "committee", is that the same thing as a letter from your pre-med advisor? my school doesn't have a committee per se, only an advisor.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

themach said:
when schools ask for a letter from pre-med advisory "committee", is that the same thing as a letter from your pre-med advisor? my school doesn't have a committee per se, only an advisor.

Thanks!

I have been wondering this too! I don't have one at my school, but my pre-med advisor is also my Physiology prof and on the board for MSUCHM medical school... I was just going to send that in, in place.

People might say that we have to call the individual schools, but if anyone knows about this or has used their advisor in place of the committee - please let us know! Thanks! :thumbup: :)

Jezzielin said:
I have been wondering this too! I don't have one at my school, but my pre-med advisor is also my Physiology prof and on the board for MSUCHM medical school... I was just going to send that in, in place.

People might say that we have to call the individual schools, but if anyone knows about this or has used their advisor in place of the committee - please let us know! Thanks! :thumbup: :)

I thought that I was in the very same situation until 2 weeks ago. I asked our pre-med advisor why we didn't have a board and she told me that we do. It just comprises her (our advisor) and the Department Chair of chemistry and biochemistry. I don't know if this is the same for ya'll, but I was really suprised to find out we had one, even if it is just two people. You may want to ask your advisors just to be sure.... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
themach said:

Thanks!
some schools have a committee. but if urs doesn't and u just have an advisor, the individuals have to send them out to the schools. bigger schools have one central place that does this. but the committee letter is usually written after reading the other letters and compiling the thoughts.

Pre-med committee can conduct a pre-professional interview where you sit in front of 2 to 10 professors + the chair of department/s and answer questions. They will combine their thoughts into one letter of recommendation to be sent to medical schools. This committee will judge you based upon pre-med curriculum vitae, EC's, answers to their questions, your motivations for becoming a doctor, and your maturity (professionalism) level.
Not all schools have a committee, so three or four LOR from professors and/or doctors will suffice. However, a committee letter kills three LORS with one LOR. Plus the committee interview gave me a chance to develop/practice my answers for med school interview questions.

Best of Luck!

Typically, if your school doesn't do a committee letter, then you just send your letters of recommendation. I would send no more than three. Not all schools have committees, so they should be used to this. The only time people may run into problems is if their school DOES have a committee and they choose not to send the committee letter. Then the adcoms (if they know that this school does committee letters) may wonder why the person chose not to send a committee letter.

Some schools will have in fine print somewhere "If a committee letter is not available, please send X letters of recommendation." Just send your LOR's and don't sweat it.

I believe they are interchangable.
My pre-med advisor (no committee) will be writing mine. He does include some excerpts from my various letters of rec.

themach said:

Thanks!

I have only a pre-med advisor, and I called all the schools I applied to last year. You really need to call. Some said the premed advisor letter would be fine in place of the committee letter, others said they consider it to be an individual letter.

So, sad to say, warm up your dialing finger and get a good book for the hold time. Email might be a better way of asking and may even save you some aggravation.