Excel spreadsheet to manage applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwells46

MD, MPH, MSM
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

If anyone is interested, I've put together an Excel spreadsheet to manage medical school secondary applications and interviews. The sheet keeps track of how much you spend in fees, if your application is complete, when the interview is, etc.

The excel file is contained within the attached zip file.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• medschool.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 2,510
Reactions: 1 user
bwells46 said:
Hello everyone,

If anyone is interested, I've put together an Excel spreadsheet to manage medical school secondary applications and interviews. The sheet keeps track of how much you spend in fees, if your application is complete, when the interview is, etc.

can you post it as an attachment on here?

hnbui said:
can you post it as an attachment on here?

Done. Sorry, I forgot to post the right file. It's fixed now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very nice! Thank you!

Awesome. Thanks bud ;)

nicely done :thumbup:

wow thanks for this, gonna alter it to suit my needs.

bwells46 said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!!! :)

bwells46 said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much!!! Thats awesome! :thumbup: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
That's really awesome!!! Thanks :thumbup:

wow it looks great! Wish I was that computer literate ;) Thanks so much!

YAY! Someone who enjoys excell spreadsheets just as much as I do!I seriously make one of these things for everything. I even color coded one to chart my degree progress in college. I was going to make one of these next year when I apply but now I can just download this one and save it :D Thanks so much.

Thanks for the sheet ... great idea.

Caristra said:
YAY! Someone who enjoys excell spreadsheets just as much as I do!I seriously make one of these things for everything. I even color coded one to chart my degree progress in college. I was going to make one of these next year when I apply but now I can just download this one and save it :D Thanks so much.
Yeah I need to go to excel anonymous. I'm obsessed with that program. I already have my GPA calc'd on that as well as future course load :oops:

mshheaddoc said:
Yeah I need to go to excel anonymous. I'm obsessed with that program. I already have my GPA calc'd on that as well as future course load :oops:

Yeah, I love Excel - it's just such a powerful program. There are some very smart people at Microsoft programming this stuff.

I think this is one of the longest threads I remember of posts that entail little more than "thank you," so I figured I'd better add my $0.02! :)

Thanks. :thumbup:

bwells46 said:
Hello everyone,

You are too cool!! Thanks! Your check is in the mail :love:

what's this i hear about a gpa program?

Anyone willing to share such a prog?

hnbui said:
what's this i hear about a gpa program?

Anyone willing to share such a prog?

Something like that should be relatively simple to make.

Just setup columns for Year, Semester, Course Name, Grade, Credit Hours, and Grade Points. To get the GPA just do =SUM(Grade_Point_Cells)/SUM(Credit Hours).

You could even split it up by year, semester, etc. by using filters.

DCH said:
You are too cool!! Thanks! Your check is in the mail :love:

Woohoo! Money! To save time, just send it to the med schools - they take all of my money nowadays anyway ;)

bwells46 said:
Yeah, I love Excel - it's just such a powerful program. There are some very smart people at Microsoft programming this stuff.
hahah, i finally got around to saving it to my HD.

I liked the accepted at harvard line ;)

Is there a way to vary column width as you go down the row?
Say I have two tables and they require different widths is there anyway to do this other than creating many small columns then merging as needed?

bwells46 said:
Something like that should be relatively simple to make.

Just setup columns for Year, Semester, Course Name, Grade, Credit Hours, and Grade Points. To get the GPA just do =SUM(Grade_Point_Cells)/SUM(Credit Hours).

You could even split it up by year, semester, etc. by using filters.

where and how do i type in that "=SUM(Grade_Point_Cells)/SUM(Credit Hours)"

i'm sorry...i've just never worked with excell before.

gujuDoc said:
ha! I just saw that myself, and the waitlist at Hopkins........

I loved the $10 fee at Harvard. That would be nice if fees were that cheap, but I get a feelin HMS would probably be worse then some of those state schools bwells had on there.

Bwells,

Your reject, accepted, waitlist order is quite hillarious. That was tooooooooo funny. :D

On a side note, thanks for the spreadsheet. I've saved it on my computer for future reference whenever I get to that point.

LOL! Except for "Accepted" at Harvard, the rest of the data was randomly typed in :D

BrettBatchelor said:
Is there a way to vary column width as you go down the row?
Say I have two tables and they require different widths is there anyway to do this other than creating many small columns then merging as needed?
as far as I know i have never seen that in excel in all my experience with it unless you merge cells.

This is awesome. Thanks so much! :thumbup:

mshheaddoc said:
as far as I know i have never seen that in excel in all my experience with it unless you merge cells.

You could do it with a VB macro but it would probably be quicker to do it manually.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to reply to the original post and not yours.

Thanks - this will be so helpful! :thumbup:

Thanks! This is really helpful. :D

bwells46 said:
Hello everyone,

Bwell, Nice work!

Great work! This will come in very handy once those secondaries start rollin' in! :)

This is definitely sticky worthy, especially to us busy and disorganized pre-meds.

Phil, is it worth doing?

nicholonious said:
This is definitely sticky worthy, especially to us busy and disorganized pre-meds.

Phil, is it worth doing?

Don't sticky this one. I have a much better and more comprehensive manager that I'll be posting sometime today or tomorrow. :)

bwells46 said:
Don't sticky this one. I have a much better and more comprehensive manager that I'll be posting sometime today or tomorrow. :)

Can you post a link to the new one when it is available?

Seona said:
Can you post a link to the new one when it is available?

Sure - I wasn't home over the weekend so I didn't get a chance to finish it up. I'll post it by the end of today.

Oh excel....its one of those programs that you really can get lost in if you have no idea what you are doing. On the other hand, if you do know what you are doing, then it is awesome....like Photoshop and Pagemaker

BaylorGuy said:
Oh excel....its one of those programs that you really can get lost in if you have no idea what you are doing. On the other hand, if you do know what you are doing, then it is awesome....like Photoshop and Pagemaker

I like Photoshop but I don't particularly care for Pagemaker. Photoshop is easily one of the best image manipulation programs on the market.

Excel is fairly easy to pickup. You can learn most of the useful features in a couple hours. A lot of the other stuff is just fluff and/or only truly useful to programmers and finance people.

Bump for the new applicants. I found this really useful last year.

Thundrstorm said:
Bump for the new applicants. I found this really useful last year.

thx for bring this back, thundrstorm! :thumbup: