help diagnose my eye condition...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmaz88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I plan on making an optometrist appointment in the very near future, as soon as I can get a free moment away from school. ...but in the meantime, I'd appreciate any thoughts on what might be up with my eyes.

I'm very near-sighted and have worn glasses for about 25 years, but haven't gotten a new rx in the last six. (I know, I'm long overdue for an exam.)

Anyways, for the last few months, my eyes take anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to be able to focus completely when I wake up in the morning. After that though, they're pretty much fine the rest of the day.

Periodically (like once every few weeks), they'll feel a little sore, like there's some sort of pressure issue. ...when I rub them, or put external pressure on them, it's aggravated.

Last night though, the weirdest thing occurred. I woke suddenly about 5am (2 hrs before normal), with the sensation that my eyeballs were semi-forcibly trying to rotate downwards within their sockets.

...so, does this sound like anything you've encountered in your studies?? ...am I possibly early-stage glaucomic, or just a hypochondriac pharmacy student who's long-overdue for new glasses?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't mention contacts, and since you have not had an exam in 6 years I hope you are not wearing them, but are you wearing contacts over night. That can cause corneal edema that will fog your vision when you wake up and will then lessen as your corneas "de-swell."

I have no idea about the eyes trying to turn down. Have you had any unusual headaches lately?

No matter what, you do need to get to the doctor.

Yes, 6 years is LONG OVERDUE. If you are a high myope (how high?) you may be having Convergence and Accommodation problems due to an old Rx. You should try getting a brand new pair of glasses with your latest Rx, and try thin polycarbonates or high index lenses to take away the excess "prism base" effect you may have all around the rim of your lenses. Try smaller frames too.
All the studying you have to do may be instigating convergence excess, new Rx and rest periods staring at distant objects may alleviate that. That is probably why you may be having those weird sensations of focusing too.

Very high Myopes should also check for Pigmentary Glaucoma. So be ready to get dilated on the day you get your full eye exam. It is just good precaution since it's been 6 years.

Go get your eyes checked and don't worry, most likely you just need a new pair of hip glasses. It will make those long hours of studying pharm much easier.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a quick question, and I hope it doesn't derail your thread pharma :p

I used to get new prescriptions like once a year when my eyesight worsened slightly. However, now I haven't changed my prescription in around 2 years and it seems fine. Now my question is: Could it be that since I changed my prescription frequently that it actually aided in worsening my eyesight?

Oh, I'm 22 now...it could be my eyes stabilizing, I guess?

Opii said:
You should try getting a brand new pair of glasses with your latest Rx, and try thin polycarbonates or high index lenses to take away the excess "prism base" effect you may have all around the rim of your lenses.

Go get your eyes checked and don't worry, most likely you just need a new pair of hip glasses.

You're kidding right?

I think the question here is how high is high? :rolleyes: To a patient high may be a -3.00 OU, whereas for an optometrist high is much higher :cool: ...teens >>. Since he didn't answer my question (how high?) then I am assuming he is using the same defenition as mild, moderate, or high myopia optometrists go by though patients usually think -3.00 would be "high". :scared:
I have an OD friend with -15 OU which likes polycarbs, with a couple of dips of AR coating at the edges.Regular crown or CR39 gives him a huge "base in" effect that makes him have to over converge to compensate. :eek:
If this pharm student only needs -3.00s then a CR39 would be the most common route to go with. :D But do we know his RX? :confused: :D :oops: These happy faces are fun. :laugh: :smuggrin:

Opii said:
I have an OD friend with -15 OU which likes polycarbs, with a couple of dips of AR coating at the edges.Regular crown or CR39 gives him a huge "base in" effect that makes him have to over converge to compensate.

O.K. I'll bite. How does the lens material impact Prentice's rule as it refers to induced prism not aberrations?

xmattODx said:
O.K. I'll bite. How does the lens material impact Prentice's rule as it refers to induced prism not aberrations?

Yea.. It could be thought of as two different things, prentice's rule & aberrations, I am just assuming his current glasses may be really thick to enduce prism effect (BI) and also blue disperses more due to lateral chromatic aberrations... thus the combo..... since he said 20 yrs ago he started wearing Rx, I am still assuming he is somewhat high. ... We have to go by alot of assumptions here which we shouldn't normally do. So maybe Pharmaz88 should make an appointment with you. Me? I'm just studying for the boards and just happenned to finish the ophthalmic optics section so I guess I'm not playing fair. :oops: Thanks for keeping me on my toes ;) hey, :idea: ... Is that what you all call "pimping". :laugh:

Opii said:
I am just assuming his current glasses may be really thick to enduce prism effect (BI)

Ummmm... with all due respect you may want to go back over your ophthalmic optics.

Ben Chudner said:
I'd also like to know how to order a couple of dips of AR coating at the edges. :laugh:

For a couple of dips you may have to ask an optician who's been around for about 30 years or so and have their own optical. They know their stuff. I don't think you'll find this method at a quicky commercial optical.

xmattODx said:
Ummmm... with all due respect you may want to go back over your ophthalmic optics.
Hmmmm with all due respect so might you.

Opii said:
Hmmmm with all due respect so might you.

You are right. So let's review right now. Please explain to me how lens material impacts the amount of induced prism in a pair of glasses. I really, honestly want to know. Thanks in advance!

xmattODx said:
You are right. So let's review right now. Please explain to me how lens material impacts the amount of induced prism in a pair of glasses. I really, honestly want to know. Thanks in advance!

Like I said go review your berkley, I'm getting tired of quoting it right off the book just to amuse you. or better yet go ask Ajamian.

xmattODx said:

Thanks everone for your posts on this thread. I didn't answer Opii's question regarding whether or not I'm a 'high myope', since I have no clue what you're talking about. (Xalatan and Tobradex, now that part of your language I can speak. :) ) I do have thick glasses, even with small-diameter frames, but I have no idea what my prescription is. When I do see the optometrist, I'll be sure to post back with the results.

...regarding xmattODx's question above, I think I may be able to offer an idea. (I'm way out of my league on this board, so please don't think I'm being presumptious.) ...remember back to physics class in undergrad, and the whole refractive index issue? ...you know, how water and oil and glass all bend light a little differently? Well, would the differing 'induced prism' you talk about be due to the same thing?

pharmaz88 said:
Thanks everone for your posts on this thread. I didn't answer Opii's question regarding whether or not I'm a 'high myope', since I have no clue what you're talking about. (Xalatan and Tobradex, now that part of your language I can speak. :) ) I do have thick glasses, even with small-diameter frames, but I have no idea what my prescription is. When I do see the optometrist, I'll be sure to post back with the results.

...regarding xmattODx's question above, I think I may be able to offer an idea. (I'm way out of my league on this board, so please don't think I'm being presumptious.) ...remember back to physics class in undergrad, and the whole refractive index issue? ...you know, how water and oil and glass all bend light a little differently? Well, would the differing 'induced prism' you talk about be due to the same thing?

Thanks Pharm! that web page is very handy with all those indexes, I only have ~8 or so in my book. That's a Keeper! Look forward to buying Ophthalmic meds from you soon. Make sure to check out the quality of your optometrist when you get your eyes checked. :)

Opii said:

Good luck on boards. (NO SARCASM intended !!!- just trying to indicate I intend to leave this discussion.)

Opii said:
For a couple of dips you may have to ask an optician who's been around for about 30 years or so and have their own optical. They know their stuff. I don't think you'll find this method at a quicky commercial optical.
I am also going to leave this thread, but before I do I just wanted to say that I own an optical and I can assure you that placing an AR coating on a lens is not as simple as dipping a lens in a tint bath. Good luck on boards (no sarcasm here either).