Jan 28, 2020
Status
Occupational Therapist
I had an eye exam appointment this past Tuesday. The OD said that my prescription would be emailed to me. A few days went by and I did not receive it. I called multiple times asking for the prescription, and they kept saying that it would be sent to me soon. They finally sent it to me only after I argued with them for hours. It took almost a week to get it.

This was my first time going to this doctor. One of the receptionists said, "the prescription needs to be finalized and sometimes it takes a long time." However, all the ODs prior to this always gave me my eyeglass prescription immediately after the appointment. I was reading some articles stating that it's illegal to not give a patient their prescription right away. Is this true? Was the doctor right, or was I just being impatient? Please let me know. I'm considering filing a report to the FTC about this practice.

UnicornOpt

2+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2018
In the state of CA: ' Eyeglass prescriptions must be released immediately following the eye exam ." Just read your state's board of optometry laws to get your specific answer.

This OD doesn't sound like he/she's organized, and I find it strange. Also he/she would have to have an encrypted email secure messaging system since this is medical information.

Jan 28, 2020
Status
Occupational Therapist
In the state of CA: ' Eyeglass prescriptions must be released immediately following the eye exam ." Just read your state's board of optometry laws to get your specific answer.

This OD doesn't sound like he/she's organized, and I find it strange. Also he/she would have to have an encrypted email secure messaging system since this is medical information.
I live in New Jersey. This is what I found. Does this mean that the OD has to give you the prescription but it doesn’t have to be right away?

Attachments

About the Ads

Ryan_eyeball

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
Kansas
Status
Optometrist
My advice is to contact the Optometry state board in New Jersey. A simple email or call from a state board will light a fire under the OD to release the Rx. Its a shame that it would have to come to that though.

UnicornOpt

2+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2018
No it is not really recommendable to change the grade of your lens once you bought a new glasses. Trust me and you won't regret it. This is the first thing you learn in my school's brand of education, i think. Maybe you should ask your doctor.

About the Ads