for those students with hearing loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking on the forums for quite some time, preciate yall keepin me entertained as well as providing useful info. I need a stet, Im going to get one in the next few days, problem is do they let you "try" them on? Ive got what they call unilateral hearing loss, that means Im deaf in one ear and about 4 percent deaf in the other ear. I hear high pitched sounds better than low pitched.

I dont even know the names of the stets Ive used but I could almost barely hear anything. I'd like to step up in the place or online, knowing what stet to be looking at. Any recommendations from you deaf folks? Thanks in advance.

Quash Phillips

Members don't see this ad.

I recall reading information about amplified stethoscopes and there seems to be various types you can buy.

I wear hearing aids to compensate for a moderate hearing impairment but I haven't found any stethoscopes that can comfortable be placed over hearing aids. Does anyone know of stethoscopes that have headphone-like attachments?

I have a bilateral hearing loss and use cardionics e-scope, and I love it. I wear hearing aids and have my stethoscope set up so that it wirelessly sends the info to the aids. If you go about getting an amplified stethoscope through an audiologist, you should be able to get a 90 day trial period on them, the same as if you were trying out a hearing aid. I also tried one made by Starkey, but it wasn't powerful enough for me. You could also try the electronic stethoscopes made by Littman; they aren't compatible with hearing aids, but it could work well with your good ear. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
FMGP8P said:
I recall reading information about amplified stethoscopes and there seems to be various types you can buy.

I wear hearing aids to compensate for a moderate hearing impairment but I haven't found any stethoscopes that can comfortable be placed over hearing aids. Does anyone know of stethoscopes that have headphone-like attachments?

fmg, cardionics escope is actually made specifically to be used with headphones. I highly recommend it. It also has a button that you press when listening to breath sounds to change which frequencies are amplified.

Pedonc said:
fmg, cardionics escope is actually made specifically to be used with headphones. I highly recommend it. It also has a button that you press when listening to breath sounds to change which frequencies are amplified.
Thanks for the info Pedonc

Do you need specific hearing aids for the escope to wirelessly transmit the sound? I have audinex simplex digital hearing aids but who knows if they would be compatible.

Changing frequencies would be a great feature since I have a much harder time hearing high frequencies as compared to low frequencies. I checked it out on the internet and it looks pricey but I think it would be well worth it.

FMGP8P said:
Thanks for the info Pedonc

Do you need specific hearing aids for the escope to wirelessly transmit the sound? I have audinex simplex digital hearing aids but who knows if they would be compatible.

Changing frequencies would be a great feature since I have a much harder time hearing high frequencies as compared to low frequencies. I checked it out on the internet and it looks pricey but I think it would be well worth it.

I have plugged an fm transmitter plugged in to the headphone jack, and it wirelessly transmits the sound to fm receivers attached to the bottom of my phonak bte's, so I have modified it from the intended setup. While not the cheapest route, it is less conspicous than headphones, although I have used the headphones when the fm system has needed to be repaired. The 90 day rule that applies for hearing aids applies for trying out these scopes, so if you go through an audiologist, you can try them out risk free.

Holy Cow, those stets are expensive. I'll look into both of them to see which one I like better. With this unilateral hearing loss I used to have several hearing aids while growing up. But now I dont wear one at all and rely on my good ear. To me, all hearing aids have been useless, my hearing is nearly perfect in that good ear, and all the aid does is make everything louder which is a real PITA. electronic noise adjustments, background noise filter, my ass.

Ive been without an aid for about 4 years now. Hopefully technology has gotten better, and I might consider an implant for my deaf ear in the far off future. Thanks for those responses and will check out those stets and let you know in the near future when im really broke

Quash Phillips

Quash said:
Holy Cow, those stets are expensive. I'll look into both of them to see which one I like better. With this unilateral hearing loss I used to have several hearing aids while growing up. But now I dont wear one at all and rely on my good ear. To me, all hearing aids have been useless, my hearing is nearly perfect in that good ear, and all the aid does is make everything louder which is a real PITA. electronic noise adjustments, background noise filter, my ass.

Ive been without an aid for about 4 years now. Hopefully technology has gotten better, and I might consider an implant for my deaf ear in the far off future. Thanks for those responses and will check out those stets and let you know in the near future when im really broke

Quash Phillips
What type of hearing aid did you wear 4 years ago? I first started out with analog hearing aids as a kid but then bought some digitally programmable aids my first year of college. The upgrade made a HUGE difference with less background noise and more clarity. Just last year I bought some digital hearing aids and I am amazed at how much better they are than the digitally programmable.

I have a friend with a similiar hearing impairment as you. He always complained about sleeping on the wrong of his head and not hearing the alarm clock. Do you ever have the same problem? Just curious

4 years ago i was on the digital starkey one that goes in the ear. and had been on starkey for about 4 years before that too, problem was that the material was really brittle, and for some reason just after a year it broke. I had three starkeys all supposed to be better than before. I wore them to school, but when I got home it went into its lil box. Back in the day it was the hang on aids.

For some reason my ear is really sensitive when I sleep, I can hear anything that shouldnt happen, I'll wake up if the door creaks and someone comes in. If it rains I hear rain beating on the window. If the alarm goes off, I hear it but then I snooze for a bit sometimes. Its pretty weird but, I can only sleep on my good ear, my parents tried to correct this problem but it didnt work.

Sleeping on my deaf ear is really uncomfortable because I hear anything and everything from my good ear, and if I try I end up just moving to the other side.

I LOVE my digital phonaks! For me, going from analog to digital was like switching from black and white to color. I also have telecoils for the first time, which are handy. As for alarm clocks, I never hear them! During undergrad freshman orientation, I stayed in a dorm room alone and slept through the fire alarm (good thing it was a joke!). My alarm clock has an attachment that shakes my pillow. It also has a strobe light attachment that I don't use. However, the downside to all this fun is that it does burn a hole in your wallet.

Hey guys, I think Im leaning towards an e scope, everyone says the littman is the best. I tried the master cardiology, and didnt hear jack. The cardionic's are hard to find in my area, any opinions on the littmann escope vs the cardionic escope?

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but I met an intern who is I believe, (almost?) completely deaf and reads lips. She had an interpreter with her and did a fantastic job with patients and attendings. She had a hookup for her stethoscope and would plug it in as needed. I don't know what the name of it was tho.

Anyone else have an interpreter for sign language? I was thinking I would learn it, especially after watching them working together.

Any info on graphic auscultation? I'm going in and need a stethoscope, I use a cochlear implant but I'd feel more comfortable using a visual stetho. Suggestions?