Who has the dental school ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvdhe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who has the dental school ranking?Can we get a copy?Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You'd better do a search...and EXPECT some nasty replies...

First of all, do u know where your dentist graduate from?
If you want to specialize, maybe u r looking for the board Part 1 score ranking. they have a long discussion at the dental forum.

Right now, Harvard #1, UCLA #2.

dvdhe said:
Who has the dental school ranking?Can we get a copy?Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap newbie, do some research...for example type your question into the search function!!!!!!!

PP

Drat, Delicious, and myself have the dental school ranking. We started working on it back and april but Delicious got banned and drat and I found better things to do I guess. Here is the list thus far - feel free to finish it for us. Oh, and no moving schools around. You can just assign schools to the open spots:

1. Harvard
2. Harvard
3. U of Maryland
4. Michigan
5. UNC
6. U of Illinois, Chicago
6. Southern Ill. University
7. Loma Linda University (Mich. state basketball)
8. Minnesota
9. Pacific
10. Indiana
12. UCSF
15. Buffalo
16. UT San Antonio
17. Baylor
18. Temple
20. Meharry

26. UPENN
27. UNLV
28. UCLA

34. Nova
35. USC

41. Columbia

45. Howard

51. UMKC
52-55. Georgia/Alabama schools

Here's how we came up with the list:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189430&page=5&pp=20

USUaggie said:
Drat, Delicious, and myself have the dental school ranking. We started working on it back and april but Delicious got banned and drat and I found better things to do I guess. Here is the list thus far - feel free to finish it for us. Oh, and no moving schools around. You can just assign schools to the open spots:

1. Harvard
2. Harvard
3. U of Maryland
4. Michigan
5. UNC
6. U of Illinois, Chicago
6. Southern Ill. University
7. Loma Linda University (Mich. state basketball)
8. Minnesota
9. Pacific
10. Indiana
12. UCSF
15. Buffalo
16. UT San Antonio
17. Baylor
18. Temple
20. Meharry

26. UPENN
27. UNLV
28. UCLA

34. Nova
35. USC

41. Columbia

45. Howard

51. UMKC
52-55. Georgia/Alabama schools

Here's how we came up with the list:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189430&page=5&pp=20

This is complete bull****.
Just because you are going to Loma Linda, it doesn't necessarily make the school top 10. On the other hand, just because you can't get into Upenn, Columbia, it doesn't necessarily make those schools middle/bottom tier.

As a matter of fact, after USUaggie arrives at Loma linda, the list suddenly changes into:

45. Howard
46. Loma Linda

dentister said:
This is complete bull****.
Just because you are going to Loma Linda, it doesn't necessarily make the school top 10. On the other hand, just because you can't get into Upenn, Columbia, it doesn't necessarily make those schools middle/bottom tier.

As a matter of fact, after USUaggie arrives at Loma linda, the list suddenly changes into:

45. Howard
46. Loma Linda

Chill bro. It was a joke. Read the thread where I posted the link before you make a fool of yourself by taking it seriously. One would think that Harvard taking spots #1 AND #2 would be a simple enough indicator that this list is not to be taken seriously. Once you've been around SDN for a while you'll realize that someone asks this same question about twice a month and it usually starts some pissing contests about whose school is better. Again, read the thread where it came from and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Of course I put LLU in the top ten because I'm going there. If you want to know the truth, they usually score below average on Part 1 of the boards and above average on Part 2. I just thought it was the best school for me out of those I was accepted to.

PS, is this just the troll back under a new name?

dentister said:
.... just because you can't get into Upenn, Columbia, it doesn't necessarily make those schools middle/bottom tier.
I actually didn't apply to those schools so I don't really know if I could have made it in or not. My stats are competetive and I got into 6/8 schools I applied to. Like I said, I just feel LLU was the best choice for me.

That's probably why they don't rank the schools - One school isn't necessarily the best for everyone.

USUaggie said:
Chill bro. It was a joke. Read the thread where I posted the link before you make a fool of yourself by taking it seriously. One would think that Harvard taking spots #1 AND #2 would be a simple enough indicator that this list is not to be taken seriously. Once you've been around SDN for a while you'll realize that someone asks this same question about twice a month and it usually starts some pissing contests about whose school is better. Again, read the thread where it came from and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Of course I put LLU in the top ten because I'm going there. If you want to know the truth, they usually score below average on Part 1 of the boards and above average on Part 2. I just thought it was the best school for me out of those I was accepted to.

PS, is this just the troll back under a new name?

Get a life dude. Can't you find something better to do?
You are only encouraging the school rank fight.

dentister said:

Considering you have been a member of this message board for like a whole day now......maybe YOU should chill. The question from the original post is asked A LOT around here, and those of us who have been around awhile need creative ways to response without being totally rude.

Kudos USUaggie.

Omahahahaha said:
Kudos USUaggie.
Hey thanks. I think maybe he is our troll. However, he has a point. As I was driving back from dropping off my sister at her class I was thinking about what a loser I am. I've seriously spent the entire day working on a puzzle and listening to "the da vinci code" on CD. All my real friends are away at college somewhere and my girlfriend works until 9:30 so he's right, I don't really have much better to do than respond to a "dental school ranks" thread. Well, back to the puzzle!

Just make sure you get a DDS instead of a DMD, because DMD's can't perform surgery and they have to get a DDS to sign their prescriptions for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
toofache32 said:
Just make sure you get a DDS instead of a DMD, because DMD's can't perform surgery and they have to get a DDS to sign their prescriptions for them.

So true. DMD's are just a good dental assistant. I'm only a student Doc but today I had a DMD ask me what DM was in a patient chart. I about dropped dead laughing. For the DMD's out there, the answer is Diabetes.

:laugh:
USUaggie... I got your back.

dentister said:

I think you should get a life.

Regarding the DMD/DDS degrees, kinda sucks that Im getting a DMD. I always wanted to do surgery, but now I have to resort to watching a real dentist to the dirty work.

Dental08?09 said:
I had a DMD ask me what DM was in a patient chart. I about dropped dead laughing. For the DMD's out there, the answer is Diabetes.
Diabetes....yeah, right. There's not even an "M" in diabetes. Anyone who's been to college knows that DM stands for Drosophila Melanogaster.

Any ranking system with Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, UW, UMich, and UCONN not within the top 10 or 15, in my humble opinion, is faulty. And for all of you NOT attending schools in this list, don't let this hurt your ego. Just accept the fact that certain schools just have a tendency to attract more competitive applicants. Let's just be honest with ourselves. College was the same way. These ranking systems aren't necessarily reflective of how well you will do in the society after graduation.

I have NEVER heard anyone tell me "well, University of Bob Jones is in a way better than Univeristy of Pennsylvania because...they put more emphasis on PE and social activities. Bob Jones graduates have consistently been more physically fit than UPenn graduates."

Okay, let's just say that there are different ways of ranking schools. Like princeton review, we can come up with a list for
-schools with the best parties
-schools with the best buildings
-schools with the best professor : student ratio

list goes on and on.

But when people on SDN asks for a school ranking, I am pretty confident that they are asking for a ranking of the avg. board exams, quality of research, and other factors for the quality of academic education.

So okay, maybe perhaps there should be two types of ranking systems for dental schools: clinical education and specialty-driven education. In anycase, I do not believe that school ranking is entirely irrelavant. If I don't have the money to visit the 50 schools around the country, and if I know that I want to attend a school with other academically competitive students, then a ranking system will help tremendously.

People, you need to realize that there are students that strive under a competitive environment. A ranking system will help them. You don't have to use it if you don't want to...just don't abandon it completely because there IS a need for it.

hsc2104 said:
Any ranking system with Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, UW, UMich, and UCONN not within the top 10 or 15, in my humble opinion, is faulty.
Just curious, but how do you know? I agree that these are the ones where students tend to mental-masturbate about themselves, but what makes them better than all the other schools?

hsc2104 said:
But when people on SDN asks for a school ranking, I am pretty confident that they are asking for a ranking of the avg. board exams, quality of research, and other factors for the quality of academic education.
Anybody else notice this list of desirable qualities for dental school excludes, y'know, dentistry?