and the winners are...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubensan

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are interested in rankings during this residency match season, Ophthalmology Times just published its annual rankings of the top ophthalmology training programs. Check out the following link:

http://www.ophthalmologytimes.com/o...rticleDetail.jsp?id=184550&pageID=1&sk=&date= there are 4 different rank lists, to find the "best residency programs" rankings you have to go to page #2.

There is even mention of webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/ and Eye-rounds.org in this edition!

But at the end of the day, remember that this poll represents the amount of NEI grants that a dept receives and a survey from department chairs and program directors across the country. I can name many programs that were not listed in this survey that I believe are outstanding places to learn how to be an ophthalmologist and a couple that are included in this list that to me, are not. So my biggest advice to all of you this winter is to make your rank lists based on the programs that you feel will provide a happy and productive atmosphere. Good luck and Happy Travels!

Members don't see this ad.

I would echo Rubensan's quote that you can only read so much into these rankings. I did residency at a place you won't find on any of these lists and fellowship at a place at the top of all these lists, and can assure you that the rankings are most helpful only when interviewing for jobs. Some of these "top" programs-and I won't mention names knowing I'll ruffle some feathers on this board-are legendary for graduating residents who can't operate. They learn from some of the best, and have excellent clinical skills, but are really behind the pack when it comes to surgical skills in fellowship or practice. There are exceptions-places with all of the above-but not many.

rubensan said:
For those of you that are interested in rankings during this residency match season, Ophthalmology Times just published its annual rankings of the top ophthalmology training programs. Check out the following link:

http://www.ophthalmologytimes.com/o...rticleDetail.jsp?id=184550&pageID=1&sk=&date= there are 4 different rank lists, to find the "best residency programs" rankings you have to go to page #2.

There is even mention of webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/ and Eye-rounds.org in this edition!

But at the end of the day, remember that this poll represents the amount of NEI grants that a dept receives and a survey from department chairs and program directors across the country. I can name many programs that were not listed in this survey that I believe are outstanding places to learn how to be an ophthalmologist and a couple that are included in this list that to me, are not. So my biggest advice to all of you this winter is to make your rank lists based on the programs that you feel will provide a happy and productive atmosphere. Good luck and Happy Travels!

Here's a quote from the article that I found a bit confusing:
article said:
Residents with a bigger patient base might hone their skills from sheer case volume. As a 1972 University of Iowa resident, Dr. Weingeist performed less than half the number of cataract surgeries as his peers in New York City—but did all of his under the supervision of a cataract surgeon.

wtf? Don't most residents do the vast majority of their cataract surgery under supervision of a cataract surgeon?

i've seen a lot of residents perform cataract surgery under the supervision of a cornea or glaucoma fellow. I think what weingeist (sp?) was referring to was the fact that residents at some programs operate directly with attendings while others learn from fellows. whether one system is better than the other is the subject for another thread.

Ruben

Sledge2005 said:
Here's a quote from the article that I found a bit confusing:

wtf? Don't most residents do the vast majority of their cataract surgery under supervision of a cataract surgeon?