How many aways for med students are recommended nowadays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically, my school is having us rank predetermined rotation orders. There is one that I really like and would set me up for honoring gen surg / IM based on the scheduling, but it would mean that I burn 4 weeks of an elective rotation >1.5 years out from applying (the net consequence being one less away). As I decide, how many home rotations / aways are expected of med students that want to match nowadays? I assume that this is also a fxn of the competitiveness of the applicant / program? TIA
 
How many can you do? It’s one of the heavily debated things - the really old timers said none, I guess you can do as many as you can if you can do well at those places.

A good away will do you more favors than getting honors on an M3 rotation.