Jefferson Medical College Has Strict Cutoffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recieved a 12, 11, 7 (30) on my MCATs and have a 4.0 GPA. I want to apply to Jefferson, but according to MSAR, they have cutoffs of 8 in each section. Their range listed NO ONE with below an 8. Is there anyway around this? That really bites.

Members don't see this ad.

We're not going to be able to answer you. Call the admissions office on Monday, or try contacting the dean of admissions.

i know jefferson takes ppl with high mcats.

they dont look too much on gpa.

jsut to elaborate, my cousin got in a couple of years ago. graduated out of cornell with a 3.6. but he had a 34 mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
They look at GPA a lot.

theunderdog said:
i know jefferson takes ppl with high mcats.

they dont look too much on gpa.

jsut to elaborate, my cousin got in a couple of years ago. graduated out of cornell with a 3.6. but he had a 34 mcat.

Since when is a 3.6 a bad GPA?

They enforce that strict cutoff. I wrote to the dean of admissions last year, and she told me there are no exceptions.

indo said:
They look at GPA a lot.

yeah they do. but the msar's profile on jefferson doesn't seem to think so.

theunderdog said:
yeah they do. but the msar's profile on jefferson doesn't seem to think so.

but my 1 example of arbitrary anecdotal evidence says they do.

indo said:
but my 1 example of arbitrary anecdotal evidence says they do.
sssssmokin' avatar dude! :thumbup:

atrovariousg said:
sssssmokin' avatar dude! :thumbup:

and they average your mcat if you take multiple times....

BOBODR said:

speaking of Jefferson, I submitted my secondary in late July and still havent heard from them. My stats are on avg w/ their class and I'm a PA resident. Anyone else in a similar situation w. Jefferson?

pallcare said:
speaking of Jefferson, I submitted my secondary in late July and still havent heard from them. My stats are on avg w/ their class and I'm a PA resident. Anyone else in a similar situation w. Jefferson?
Call them up tomorrow and see what the story is. And be nice!

Members don't see this ad :)
BOBODR said:

actually, they do NOT average MCATs. i emailed the associate dean about this. because i really need them to average my scores... but.... no love for me...

It's real messed up how they sent secondaries to a few applicants with <8s and then rejected then after they cashed the fee check. This is assuming those profiles on mdapplicants.com are real and those cut-offs aren't new.

Will Ferrell said:
It's real messed up how they sent secondaries to a few applicants with <8s and then rejected then after they cashed the fee check. This is assuming those profiles on mdapplicants.com are real and those cut-offs aren't new.

they screen?

i have less than 8s and i still got a secondary though...

theunderdog said:
they screen?

i have less than 8s and i still got a secondary though...

You should ask them about their cutoffs before they jack your 80 bucks.

theunderdog said:
actually, they do NOT average MCATs. i emailed the associate dean about this. because i really need them to average my scores... but.... no love for me...
look at my PM. Everyone can look in the MSAR and see they average MCAT scores. Also I talked to admissions last yr and they do average them , unless they changed it for this yr.

man this sucks. i got a 19 the first time i took the mcat.

i wonder what my average is going to be... ****..

Scottish Chap said:
The GPA does not need to be that high, but Jefferson seems to have a strict MCAT subsection cut-off--read the notes in the following profile from last year (not mine):http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2364

That profile states 11, 5, 8! There's no way thats real!

Is it possible I can get a conditional acceptance?

pallcare said:

I think they give preference to Delaware residents but not PA residents

pallcare said:

I havent heard anything either. My stats are a bit below their averages (Not much though)... and I have at least an 8 in every section. Complete since July. :(

My stats are above their average and I havent heard anything since September. When I called to try and schedule my interview around my Drexel interview they said I was still being reviewed which I find hard to believe. So I don't know whats the deal with them?

PittMedicine said:
I recieved a 12, 11, 7 (30) on my MCATs and have a 4.0 GPA. I want to apply to Jefferson, but according to MSAR, they have cutoffs of 8 in each section. Their range listed NO ONE with below an 8. Is there anyway around this? That really bites.

Yes, we spoke to the Dean of Admissions at the end of October at length. They apply strict cutoffs - no subsection score less than an 8, and they average your scores if taken more than once. She said they have no exceptions. (Which I find hard to believe, but gotta take her word for it at that point.)