International Scholar Laureate Program Delegation Of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PHEW! That is a LOOONG NAME!

I got a fancy letter from The National Dean's List. They pretty much said because of my academic acheivement and commitment to a career in medicine, I have "been nominated to serve as a collegiate scholar in the 2006 International Scholar Laureate Program Delegation on Medicine."

They buff up the letter by saying I got really good grades, volunteer work, bla bla bla, this experience will help me get into med school & pursue a career in medicine.

A group of American college students stay in Australia, China or South Africa for 13 days for lectures, hands-on experience, culture, etc..

It's whooping $4,600 to join (includes air fare, food, shelter, etc)!

It seems to me like this is just some type of business trying to make some money. However, their opportunities sound interesting.

What do you guys think? has anyone done this..? Is it worth the money ?? I am originally from South Africa so it would be awesome to go back.

Members don't see this ad.

MrDreamWeaver said:
PHEW! That is a LOOONG NAME!

I got a fancy letter from The National Dean's List. They pretty much said because of my academic acheivement and commitment to a career in medicine, I have "been nominated to serve as a collegiate scholar in the 2006 International Scholar Laureate Program Delegation on Medicine."

They buff up the letter by saying I got really good grades, volunteer work, bla bla bla, this experience will help me get into med school & pursue a career in medicine.

A group of American college students stay in Australia, China or South Africa for 13 days for lectures, hands-on experience, culture, etc..

It's whooping $4,600 to join (includes air fare, food, shelter, etc)!

It seems to me like this is just some type of business trying to make some money. However, their opportunities sound interesting.

What do you guys think? has anyone done this..? Is it worth the money ?? I am originally from South Africa so it would be awesome to go back.

Based on what you said, it sounds like a scam. Why would a collegiate scholar have to pay $4600? Any time you have to pay something and it is an organization you have never heard of, my first reaction would be scam. It may be reputable, but I would do some in depth checking.

My question is always...Considering FERPA, how much can they find out about your record with you telling them? At worst, it's a scam, at best, it's a non-selective, over-priced opportunity to do something worthwhile. Are there other programs that cost less that you could join to do something similar, if the activities themselves are what you're interested in? If not, could you organize something yourself?

Personally, I've never heard of the ISLPDM ;) before, but it sounds like a name trying a little hard to impress. And as far as helping you get into medical school, I don't think that most truly prestigious programs describe themselves based on this sort of incentive. And finally, while the experiences themselves might help you get into medical school, is it the name that will? I haven't heard this program discussed on SDN ever and despite the drawbacks and pack mentality and insanity of this community, I think that if it's something widely respected by med schools on which your admissions decision could turn, then you would have heard it talked about a lot on here.

But then again, there is the off-chance that this is so prestigious that there aren't enough people who get it to talk about it. I think you'd do well to talk to your office of fellowships or your pre-med adviser or your academic advising center to see if they've heard of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is their website: http://www.scholarlaureate.org/medicine/index.cfm

Doesn't really seem (from the information on the site) to be a Rhodes-type of thing. The fact they you were selected without you even knowing that you had even been nominated should raise a red flag or two.

little_late_MD said:
Here is their website: http://www.scholarlaureate.org/medicine/index.cfm

Doesn't really seem (from the information on the site) to be a Rhodes-type of thing. The fact they you were selected without you even knowing that you had even been nominated should raise a red flag or two.

Unless it's like a MacArthur ("Genius) Grant...But it's not.

Didn't you guys get the same things in high school?

Its not an honor when the whole school gets it. Save the $4600 for apps.

BrettBatchelor said:
Didn't you guys get the same things in high school?

Its not an honor when the whole school gets it. Save the $4600 for apps.

Yeah I got the same letter and was wondering if it was really something worthwhile....

I got the same thing but it was through golden key.... hmmm

I actually went on their trip to South Africa last summer. It was the best experience of my life and I don't regret doing it (I had to pay for it all by myself, no parental support). I learned a ton, did a whole bunch of stuff I wouldn't have done if I would have gone on my own, and have a lot of contacts to go back to South Africa (I am really interested in public health, etc).

With all the flights we went on, hotels, food, etc, I didn't feel jipped money-wise (I actually looked up all the prices before). I'm sure they made a lot of money with group discounts though. I wouldn't really say they were selective on who can go, I know they sent an invitation out to everyone in NSCS, I think that is a pitfall that they make it sound like your super special for getting an invitation, you're not...it is a good oppurtunity non-the-less.

Basically, I am very happy that I went. I could have just gone to South Africa, but I would have never gotten an inside view on their health system, public health problems, NGOs roles (MSF and local organizations spoke to us), etc. All the health professionals that spoke to us really wanted to let us know what was going on; for us to come back to RSA (and always gave us info on oppurtunities for US approved med school electives and public health research projects), or to just spread the knowledge because they do get a lot of funding from the US. FYI: A few people in the group thought of it as more of a vacation vs. educational, so their actions bothered me, and the physician who went with us said that he had gone on the one to Australia and it was a bigger issue there...

Anyways, PM me if you have questions regarding my experience.

I went on one of their trips to China last year, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. It is expensive, but I was able to get a scholarship from my school to help cover some of the cost. The trip was great because it covered such a breadth of experiences, from traditional Chinese medicine to rural medicine to Chinese culture and history. I got invited to go on one of their trips next year, and I'll probably be going to South Africa. :) I say if you have the money, you should go. It also makes a great topic of conversation for interviews - I've discussed it at every interview I've been to!

It's a scam. Frenchgirl52 and doublepeak probably work for them. Why not just stick to your own nation to improve things. Theres TONS of things that can be done. Unless you are doing something substantial, there is no point to volunteer in another country.
Later.

Thanks French and Double. I'm seriously considering it ... it's just a lot of money :/

There are plenty of other opportunities as well. Don't just jump at this one because they mailed you something. Do the research and look at other programs also. This one might be a great one but you really should look at other programs. Here are some links:

http://www.islonline.org/

or google something to find more.

These programs are not volunteer oppurtunities. I would never say I volunteered with them although I visited volunteer organizations; it was a learning experience that I will never forget (and has greatly influenced the type of physician I want to be). Some preclinical medical students actually went in our group to South Africa too.

I do not work for the Scholar Laureate people. There are tons of issues with equity and equality of health care in the US (which desperately need to be championed), but do not undermine the MUCH harsher issues facing other countries. A THIRD of the population of South Africa is infected with HIV (A THIRD!). Two nurses saw 200 patients a day at a rural clinic with a doctor splitting his time between this and the closest equally busy clinic which was an hour away by car; there are 550 doctors per 100,000 people in the US, 70 in South Africa, and only 6 in neighboring Zimbabwe (from the WHO).

Definitely not worth it. I'd say set up the contacts with WHO or MSF or whoever and go on your own... the fact that you set it up looks more impressive on an app. YOU took the initiative, which shows leadership on your part. Btw, I got an NSCS invitation, to join the organization, not go on the trip... in the brochure, there was some dumb pic of a bunch of college students forming a chain to protect some trees. Then there were these accounts that so-called members gave of their experiences... one of them described how it felt to go sailing or whatever. Okay! These aren't experiences worth putting down on an app. I'd go for stuff thats specifically related to med, or that involves a certain type of ppl interaction (interaction thats worthwhile as opposed to forming chains to protect some trees).