Planning as an international premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

freefromssc

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm an incoming international sophomore pre-med. I know it's a bit harsh here for international students, but I know it's possible. I'm doing my undergrad in the US, by the way. I shared my story, background, and plans with Chat GPT because right now I don't have guidance from a real person lol, but here is the basis of my plans of activities, a bit of my story is that I grew up with sickle cell anemia, so I was always in the hospital. Still, I recently got a bone marrow transplant almost a year ago, so part of that is key in my reasons for wanting to become a doctor, so some of my activities do gear towards that, as well as how i plan to write my personal statement but i just wanted to ask people who are farther down in the process what they think so far?
Screenshot 2025-05-31 at 17.55.32.png
Screenshot 2025-05-31 at 17.51.03.png
 

Search for the prehealth office at your university. If you can't figure that out, tell me which undergraduate program you attend.

Have you downloaded the free HPSA/SDN Premed Planner App?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would recommend more like 300+ hours of paid or unpaid clinical experience for international students. Shadowing more than 50-75 hours is of little use beyond any personal enrichment you find it brings.
 
I would recommend more like 300+ hours of paid or unpaid clinical experience for international students. Shadowing more than 50-75 hours is of little use beyond any personal enrichment you find it brings.
Yes, I definitely plan to do that, both paid clinical and clinical volunteering