TO ALL SDNers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like 34 is the average score on SDN. Are you all applying to upper tier/ivy league schools or what?

I only got a 7, 12, 11. On all your profile, the average is like, 12, 12, 12!

?

Members don't see this ad.

PittMedicine said:
Seems like 34 is the average score on SDN. Are you all applying to upper tier/ivy league schools or what?

?

Relax. I think some people live out their MCAT fantasies on the net. But also those with subpar numbers often tend to put the premed stuff on the back burner, not spend their time on a premed board.

Law2Doc said:
Relax. I think some people live out their MCAT fantasies on the net. But also those with subpar numbers often tend to put the premed stuff on the back burner, not spend their time on a premed board.
Slightly comforting :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
oh please. 34 is the average? i have way below that average, am not URM (in fact, i'm asian), traditional applicant, and am probably getting more interviews than all you 34ers... not to hate or anything...

im just trying to say mcat isn't everything. it's about personality.

PittMedicine said:

?
I am super average. Only one interview SO FAR (August MCATer). Don't let SDN freak you out.

PittMedicine said:

?
7, 12, 11.....well, that total is higher than mine....

I believe 34 is in the 92-94th percentile, so it is not average.

Keep the faith.

theunderdog said:
oh please. 34 is the average? i have way below that average, am not URM (in fact, i'm asian), traditional applicant, and am probably getting more interviews than all you 34ers... not to hate or anything...

i think this is an often-overlook thing in med school apps... i mean, nothing can make up for bad grades/scores, but personality (x-factor, whatever you want to call it) goes a LONG way (imho). partially explains why you see so many suberb (on-paper) applicants get rejected every year and why you see those occasional instances that make you say 'wtf'?

PittMedicine said:
Seems like 34 is the average score on SDN
geez...i wonder if thats the case. SDN does represent the upper echelon of premeds, so it only makes sense that mcat scores are shifted higher in the percentiles around here. i dont know if sdn represents the top 10% of premeds though, if you could somehow calculate an overall premed score. i wonder

theunderdog said:

well, i would like to know how you are expressing your personality on your application file. do you mean just by the tone of your secondary essays??

i can see personality getting you points once you go for your interview, but i don't see anybody being granted an interview based on their "personality." more like their PROFILE. or whatever schools are looking for. or maybe they tape up all the applications on a corkboard and throw darts or something.

bubbleyum said:
well, i would like to know how you are expressing your personality on your application file. do you mean just by the tone of your secondary essays??

i can see personality getting you points once you go for your interview, but i don't see anybody being granted an interview based on their "personality." more like their PROFILE. or whatever schools are looking for. or maybe they tape up all the applications on a corkboard and throw darts or something.

I like to think that I have a charming pen-personality...smiley faces work too... :cool:

I don't know about the personality thing. It seems a bit shady.

DetectiveChubby said:
I don't know about the personality thing. It seems a bit shady.
i think personality only becomes a factor after getting interviews. there are too many applicants for schools to scrutinize personalities before sending out invites, they have to do it by numbers

Shredder said:
i think personality only becomes a factor after getting interviews. there are too many applicants for schools to scrutinize personalities before sending out invites, they have to do it by numbers

I dont entirely agree with you. If they read an interesting personal essay along with unique secondary essay answers, your personality can shine through tremendously. Yes numbers matter, but only to an extent. I think the essay portions of the application are, by some, totally blown off which I think is a big mistake. I tried my make my total application as unique as I could fully explaining:
1. All my AMCAS activities and my personal take on them.
2. Explaining my choice of medicine with a unique personal statement.
3. Writing creative answers to the conventional questions. Just tried to be non-linear in my essay writing. I know they read hundreds a day and it is like a breath of fresh air for some if they read something creative and interesting.

Later.

Jon Davis said:
I dont entirely agree with you. If they read an interesting personal essay along with unique secondary essay answers, your personality can shine through tremendously. Yes numbers matter, but only to an extent. I think the essay portions of the application are, by some, totally blown off which I think is a big mistake. I tried my make my total application as unique as I could fully explaining:
1. All my AMCAS activities and my personal take on them.
2. Explaining my choice of medicine with a unique personal statement.
3. Writing creative answers to the conventional questions. Just tried to be non-linear in my essay writing. I know they read hundreds a day and it is like a breath of fresh air for some if they read something creative and interesting.

Later.
point taken but you still have to consider the thousands of apps that schools receive. its simply too much to carefully sift through until its been whittled down

what is the likelihood of a top applicant being rejected just because he/she wasn't as charismatic as the next person?

dz88 said:
what is the likelihood of a top applicant being rejected just because he/she wasn't as charismatic as the next person?

Not that much before the interview... At the interview though, personality is important. As far as before the interview, if you're a top applicant you'll probably get one, but at those top schools they have tons of people applying with 36+ and 3.5+... they have to screen somehow, so some of the people with high stats are going to get dumped.. I met a guy last week with a 38 and a 4.0 who didn't get interviews at any of the ivies, so something else must come into play even for interview invites...

9,9,10 here - and I got in (Loyola). Us "average" SDNers exist, we are just sorta quiet about it lol.

But how can personality be judged in a 40 minute face to face interview? The interviews that I have been on have been so different. I have had friendly, chatty interviewers. And I have had one that was difficult to communicate with due to their dry personalities. So therefore, I don't think a person like that would appreciate someone who was cheery. I think it would be an improvement to have 2 or 3 interview someone instead of relying on one person's opinion.