Pathology Salary Ownage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-- Revenue-sharing -- In addition to their base salaries, which are comparatively low, some UC physicians also receive a percentage of the money generated from seeing patients. Two skin pathologists at UCSF, for instance, each earned more than $1.5 million last year, largely by analyzing tens of thousands of skin samples underneath a microscope to look for cancer and other diseases. UC officials said the duo -- Drs. Philip E. LeBoit and Timothy H. McCalmont, oversee a thriving practice that generated $10 million in revenue, largely profit, and drew patients from around the world.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/13/UCPAY.TMP

wow, it seems most path people in the UC system make between 200-450 (with a few exceptions). In fact it looks like a lot of path people make more than the people sending them biopsies.

Not too shabby.

Members don't see this ad :)
pathstudent said:
wow, it seems most path people in the UC system make between 200-450 (with a few exceptions).

Not too shabby.

You can do a search on your fav UC pathologist too: Abbas, Wiedner, etc. real fun.

UC officials said the duo -- Drs. Philip E. LeBoit and Timothy H. McCalmont, oversee a thriving practice that generated $10 million in revenue, largely profit, and drew patients from around the world.

Two dermpathologists can generate 10,000,000 a year!

Who is not going into dermpath now?!

interesting why boris bastian, the 3rd dermatopathologist in the ucsf group, earned only 270K :confused: hmmm...

and timothy berger, a ucsf dermatologist, earned only 280K - very interesting!

Are we sure these numbers are take home salaries or inclusive of grant funding? If its research money what they get to pocket is a pretty small fraction of the million + on the website.

pathstudent said:
Two dermpathologists can generate 10,000,000 a year!

Who is not going into dermpath now?!

I'm not. So there.

Plus, these guys are pretty renowned for their expertise. I cant imagine that a private dermpath would even get remotely close to the volume that these guys get as consults (not to mention the in house stuff we send over there).

dermoid cyst said:
interesting why boris bastian, the 3rd dermatopathologist in the ucsf group, earned only 270K :confused: hmmm...

I could see why the dermatologist would earn less- he does less work. You can see alot of slides in an 8 hour day. Apparently these guys haul ass during sign out, or at least thats what I have been told by residents who have rotated over at Mt Zion.

dermoid cyst said:

I thought the third dermpath person at UCSF was Beth Ruben? No? Are there 4?

Someone told me last night that Tim begins signing out case at 4-5am(!!), is that BS?