GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a large difference between a 3.87 versus a 3.9, in terms of getting into a top med school? I have a 3.87 would I be at a disadvantage? Should I take extra classes to bring it up to a 3.9?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

TigerLilies said:
Is there a large difference between a 3.87 versus a 3.9, in terms of getting into a top med school? I have a 3.87 would I be at a disadvantage? Should I take extra classes to bring it up to a 3.9?

Thanks!

Do you hear yourself? Do you? That is ridiculous, a 3.87 is a great gpa, competitive at any medical school in the nation. If you do not get admitted to med school, I can guarantee it will not be because of your gpa.

silas2642 said:
Do you hear yourself? Do you? That is ridiculous, a 3.87 is a great gpa, competitive at any medical school in the nation. If you do not get admitted to med school, I can guarantee it will not be because of your gpa.

Okay, thank you! But do you think that taking a couple extra classes to bring it to a 3.9 would help?

Members don't see this ad :)
TigerLilies said:
Is there a large difference between a 3.87 versus a 3.9, in terms of admissions to a top med school?

Thanks!

It depends. In most scenarios, not really. What would cause a 0.03 difference? Probably as little as a single "B+" or "B." If one student's additional B came in Biochem the semester before application, it might not be as harmless as a B in sociology of laziness freshman year, but the fact of the matter is that it matters very little. Who had the more difficult courseloads, the tougher schedules to juggle? Are we assuming identical MCATs and life experiences, and interview skills? There are too many intangibles to let a few hundredths of a point bring youd own.

...take what I say with a grain of salt, as a student with a 3.85. Ha!

Z

Zephyrus said:
It depends. In most scenarios, not really. What would cause a 0.03 difference? Probably as little as a single "B+" or "B." If one student's additional B came in Biochem the semester before application, it might not be as harmless as a B in sociology of laziness freshman year, but the fact of the matter is that it matters very little. Who had the more difficult courseloads, the tougher schedules to juggle? Are we assuming identical MCATs and life experiences, and interview skills? There are too many intangibles to let a few hundredths of a point bring youd own.

...take what I say with a grain of salt, as a student with a 3.85. Ha!

Z

Thanks for your response.

I honestly don't think that taking a few classes to bring your grade up 3/100ths of a point is going to make any difference. My experience (although limited) is that while adcoms care about you gpa and mcat scores, these things only get you so far. Your gpa is extremely impressive, I think it is just as impressive as someone who has earned a 3.9 or even a 4.0. It's the kind of number, in combination with a good mcat score, that shows that you have what it takes to survive the academic rigor of four years of medical school.

My suggestion would be to use this time to gain some more meaningful experiences-- volunteer somewhere, shadow a doctor, join a club, do something which allows the admissions committees to see more of YOU. You're not just a number, so prove it to them, and I think that will make all the difference.

silas2642 said:
I honestly don't think that taking a few classes to bring your grade up 3/100ths of a point is going to make any difference. My experience (although limited) is that while adcoms care about you gpa and mcat scores, these things only get you so far. Your gpa is extremely impressive, I think it is just as impressive as someone who has earned a 3.9 or even a 4.0. It's the kind of number, in combination with a good mcat score, that shows that you have what it takes to survive the academic rigor of four years of medical school.

My suggestion would be to use this time to gain some more meaningful experiences-- volunteer somewhere, shadow a doctor, join a club, do something which allows the admissions committees to see more of YOU. You're not just a number, so prove it to them, and I think that will make all the difference.

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. :)

Awww hun. At first I was about to call you crazy for worrying about not having the .03 points when your GPA is so nice...

...but then I realized that I'm the same way! 2 acceptances and a 3.98 and I'm freaking out because I'm going to get my first C+.

Us premeds are all alike: neurotic. :eek: :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek:
Don't worry about it... .03 points isn't worth the time and money you would have to put into taking classes you don't need.

Best of luck to you!

TigerLilies said:

Thanks!
When I first read this, I thought it was a spoof thread. :laugh: But OP, if you're seriously asking this question, no, you don't need to take any more classes unless you need them to earn your BS. Your GPA is excellent; if it makes you feel better, you can even report it as a 3.9, because if you round to two significant figures, your GPA rounds up. :) In any case, everything is going to be fine. :luck:

TigerLilies said:

Thanks!

I doubt there is any statistical difference in your odds for admission with a GPA above a 3.8, no matter what decimal point. But based on your posts, in which you list impressive numbers, impressive ECs etc only to ask "if they are enough", I have to think either (1) that you are making stuff up, or (2) that your insecurity is going to be a far bigger hurdle for you in terms of admissions than any other factor. Relax. If you really have these stats, then you are fine, and time to focus on confidently selling yourself.

I dont think you should apply with a 3.87. If I were you I would take some more classes until I get a 4.0. Then you may have a chance at Drexel and some other low tier schools but make sure your MCAT is at least above a 36. Also get your apps in early..this will be key for you!

BOBODR said:
I dont think you should apply with a 3.87. If I were you I would take some more classes until I get a 4.0. Then you may have a chance at Drexel and some other low tier schools but make sure your MCAT is at least above a 36. Also get your apps in early..this will be key for you!

EXACTLY... it's too competitive nowadays for sub 3.9s to get in.

OP, if you want to get accepted with your GPA, I think you need to get some military experience. I suggest the army or marines since they're more prestigious. A Purple Heart is so common that's it's an unwritten requirement to get into a Top 20 med school.

Hope that helps!

QofQuimica said:
When I first read this, I thought it was a spoof thread. :laugh: But OP, if you're seriously asking this question, no, you don't need to take any more classes unless you need them to earn your BS. Your GPA is excellent; if it makes you feel better, you can even report it as a 3.9, because if you round to two significant figures, your GPA rounds up. :) In any case, everything is going to be fine. :luck:

wait are you serious? you can round up your gpa on the amcas?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
I rounded mine from a 3.51 to a 4.0 -- I don't like a lot of sig figs. :cool:

As you can tell by my MD apps I think my GPA is holding me back (3.86), if I could get it up to the OPs GPA (3.87) then I know I could get into Harvard!!!

TigerLilies said:

Thanks!

um wow!!!
I dont believe this. Are you really that obsessive?

Please tell me there is more to life during the application period than stressing about a measly ass 0.03 of a point that damn sure wont make the diff between an acceptance and a rejection!

riceman04 said:
um wow!!!

Please tell me there is more to life during the application period than stressing about a measly ass 0.03 of a point that damn sure wont make the diff between an acceptance and a rejection!

well, she made like 100 posts about her extracurricular activities and whether adcom's like them.

i dont think it makes much difference... I think if adcoms were given that situation they would take in account of the ECs... so make sure you have ECs to balance out that great GPA too...

TigerLilies said:

Thanks!

Are you the type of person that easily has panic attacks if things do not go your way?

leave the poor girl alone. she seems like a sweetie pie. but, yes, a little crazy and overly neurotic.

-mota

riceman04 said:
um wow!!!

To answer your question:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=232628

Thank god I only have a 3.7 and don't have to worry about ever getting my GPA up that high.

silas2642 said:

I have a 3.97...do you think that puts me at a lower advantage than someone with a 4.0??? Ha ha j/k :laugh:

TigerLilies said:

Thanks!

You should purchase the book American Medical School Admissions Requirements. It outlines the average scores at all of the US med schools.

The problem with taking additional courses in order to bring up your gpa is that if you get anything other than an A it brings your grades down. Why risk it? Your gpa is high enough as it is. All you need is a bad teacher, bad exam, or bad day and you're screwed.

It is also important to note that in addition to looking at your cumulative gpa, medical schools will look at non science and science gpa's seperately. As long as they're both around/over 3.5 you're fine.

Remember, a 4.0 gpa is like your virginity, once you've lost it there's not a damn thing you can do to get it back! hahaha.

I cant believe this post is real......and getting real responses.

MarzH05 said:
I cant believe this post is real......and getting real responses.

You know, I rolled my eyes a little at first too..but now it has me thinking.

In one of my psychology classes we learned about this thing called the Anchoring effect. People tend to be "anchored" in at the first number they hear, and associate it with more or less, big or little, etc from then on. To explain, some psychologist did an experiment with real estate assessments. Two randomly assigned groups of realators assessed an identical house. One group assessed it as significantly more valuable, like upwards of 50K higher, because the psychologists had used larger numbers in a portfolio they were given. The effect showed up by changing insignificant numbers too..the address, the number of people who lived there, etc...the larger the manipulation the larger the assesments got,the more subtle the manipulation the more subtle the effect...but the effect was there. This is why we have such crazy prices...$3.99, $2,990, etc. We are "anchored" on the "two thousand" and, although we see the nines after it, don't associate it as being equal to three thousand.

Anyway, I'm not trying to support her neurosis or anything, but the fact is that yes, there might just be a real difference between a 3.87 and a 3.9, even though it might not be conscious and calculated. I wouldn't worry about either grade, and I wouldn't suggest summer school or anything to make the difference, but theoretically yes, there is a difference, and I would assume it might be larger than 0.03, but only slightly so.

Zoom-Zoom said:
You know, I rolled my eyes a little at first too..but now it has me thinking.

In one of my psychology classes we learned about this thing called the Anchoring effect. People tend to be "anchored" in at the first number they hear, and associate it with more or less, big or little, etc from then on. To explain, some psychologist did an experiment with real estate assessments. Two randomly assigned groups of realators assessed an identical house. One group assessed it as significantly more valuable, like upwards of 50K higher, because the psychologists had used larger numbers in a portfolio they were given. The effect showed up by changing insignificant numbers too..the address, the number of people who lived there, etc...the larger the manipulation the larger the assesments got,the more subtle the manipulation the more subtle the effect...but the effect was there. This is why we have such crazy prices...$3.99, $2,990, etc. We are "anchored" on the "two thousand" and, although we see the nines after it, don't associate it as being equal to three thousand.

Anyway, I'm not trying to support her neurosis or anything, but the fact is that yes, there might just be a real difference between a 3.87 and a 3.9, even though it might not be conscious and calculated. I wouldn't worry about either grade, and I wouldn't suggest summer school or anything to make the difference, but theoretically yes, there is a difference, and I would assume it might be larger than 0.03, but only slightly so.

I got my BS in Psychology. Although the effect may be real, seriously considering taking more courses to up your gpa by .03 is ridiculous. This would only be understandable if you had a 2.97 or something like that, because a lot of schools have a 3.0 cutoff. But SDN as a community needs to stop substantiating posts like this that are simply riduculous.