UIC v. Loyola...you know you love polls...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UIC or Loyola

• University of Illinois, Chicago

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Loyola (Stritch)

Votes: 38 47.5%

• Total voters

Paperboy!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
quit ya bitchin' and just vote. please??

oh and i'm not in-state.

Members don't see this ad.

oh and if anyone wants to say why, that'd be cool too.

UIC has awesome match lists and really good clinical exposure. You actually have your own patients 2nd/3rd/4th year.

Loyola hasn't been giving me much love recently.

Members don't see this ad :)
BerkeleyMD said:
UIC has awesome match lists and really good clinical exposure. You actually have your own patients 2nd/3rd/4th year.

Loyola hasn't been giving me much love recently.

yeah aren't the match lists pretty comparable? it's hard to say considering there are like 300 people to sift through on the uic match list... it's hard to look at things proportionally.

i wish i could go to loyola for the first 2 years and uic for the second.

Paperboy! said:
yeah aren't the match lists pretty comparable? it's hard to say considering there are like 300 people to sift through on the uic match list... it's hard to look at things proportionally.

i wish i could go to loyola for the first 2 years and uic for the second.

I don't know much about Loyola, anything notable about the curriculum in the first 2 yrs??

yeah i just liked the atmosphere better at loyola...seemed more friendly or something, and the facilities are sweet. but i'd really like the clinical experience of being at uic.

Paperboy! said:
yeah i just liked the atmosphere better at loyola...seemed more friendly or something, and the facilities are sweet. but i'd really like the clinical experience of being at uic.

Go with your gut, kid. Go with your gut. And don't let an online poll filled out by wackos whom you've never met before (and who will someday become your future colleagues :eek: ) make a decision that only you can make.

BerkeleyMD said:
I don't know much about Loyola, anything notable about the curriculum in the first 2 yrs??

they do block scheduling...so you have a quarter of biochem and then a break after exams and then 12 weeks of anatomy before winter break, etc...from what i've heard from current students, it makes it much much easier to study because you're focusing on less at a time.

as for the OP, if you're out of state, there's no question...UIC is WAY to expensive for non-residents, so I'd definitely go to Loyola.

Speaking as an in-state resident, I still can't think of any reason to choose UIC over Loyola...which is why I will be starting at Loyola in the Fall.

Match lists do seem to be comparable, and there seems to be more significant patient contact and physician mentoring at Loyola as well.

silas2642 said:
Go with your gut, kid. Go with your gut. And don't let an online poll filled out by wackos whom you've never met before (and who will someday become your future colleagues :eek: ) make a decision that only you can make.

:laugh:

Loyola > UIC (any campus)

(thought I would be as helpful as the poster above :laugh: )

Flopotomist said:
Loyola > UIC (any campus)

(thought I would be as helpful as the poster above :laugh: )

it sure is neck and neck

so i just came back from an interview at loyola, and our student guide had the same dilemma - uic or loyola? she ended up choosing loyola bc of the loyola atmosphere...apparently, loyola's more "take you by the hand and guide you along," while uic is "here's the info, do your thang."

being at loyola, i definitely felt that supportive air from the admin, profs, and students i met. haven't been to uic, so can't say much about that though :p

oh and some other things. you get showered with mentors at loyola (upperclassman, departmental, concentration, etc), the facilities are newly renovated, great cancer/peds depts, less lecture-style learning and more case-study format (which overall means more time for you), and block scheduling :D haha i sound like an informercial...

Members don't see this ad :)
uic hands down sucks. i have a bunch of family friends who go there and absolutely hate it. i'm actually an illinois resident and didn't even apply to uic as it has a horrible reputation. loyola is by far better than uic. while maywood isn't the best location, the area of chicago where uic is isn't so hot either. also, loyola is known for having some of the most amazing faculty--friendly and most willing to go out of their way to help their students.

dawgeroo said:
uic hands down sucks. i have a bunch of family friends who go there and absolutely hate it. i'm actually an illinois resident and didn't even apply to uic as it has a horrible reputation. loyola is by far better than uic. while maywood isn't the best location, the area of chicago where uic is isn't so hot either. also, loyola is known for having some of the most amazing faculty--friendly and most willing to go out of their way to help their students.

Again, UIC is for more independent learners. I believe that most of the people who have gone to UIC are self-learners. It depends on your learning style. Some of the students at UIC had a great time during the first two years because they never showed up to classes and studied on their own or with groups. Consequently, they had more time to study on their own. Also, the students who did well at UIC were more creative in finding their study resources, instead of depending on someone else to hand it to them. Residency is also based on self-directed learning. UIC students are well-prepared to handle residency. I would not belittle the education at UICCOM. I also know the matchlist at UIC reflects the quality of education one will receive at UIC. In the end, it is your choice which school to choose. I don't think the clinical and research resources can be compared to Loyola since they are abundant and more diverse at UIC.

Loyola is a good school too. I met some good students from there too. I do believe whichever school you choose, if you do your best, you will be fine. I do like the superficialities of Loyola: new facilities and nice hospital. However, the students pay the price for this in their tuition. If you prefer to learn by case-based learning also, Loyola should be the choice over UIC. But, I assume attendance is required and this cuts down on studying time. Again, it depends on your learning style. Also, there may be more cohesion amongst students at Loyola? I also had the impression that Loyola had many California students. Unfortunately, I thought that they had this "California attitude." That is, they put down the weather and the area where they had the school. And, they always remarked there was no way they were staying in Chicago and yearned to return to California at all costs. Overall, they seemed to relieved to be in medical school at Loyola even though it was only a temporary stay in Maywood. Of course, every chance they got, they returned to California. But, I met some students from Rosalind Franklin School of Medicine who were in the same boat from California. Also, I got a sense that there were more affluent students at Loyola who made sure that others knew about it. Also,the class diversity at Loyola is not comparable to UIC. UIC since it is a public school tries to reflect the diversity in the Chicago population. There are all kinds of extracurricular groups and activities at UIC.

I think UIC students may sometimes complain while going through medical school; however, once they graduate they don't have as much complaints because they know that they went through a rigorous curriculum and are prepared to handle any challenge they face.

Just my two cents,
psychedoc2b

psychedoc2b said:
I do like the superficialities of Loyola: new facilities and nice hospital. However, the students pay the price for this in their tuition. If you prefer to learn by case-based learning also, Loyola should be the choice over UIC. But, I assume attendance is required and this cuts down on studying time. Again, it depends on your learning style.

Also,the class diversity at Loyola is not comparable to UIC. UIC since it is a public school tries to reflect the diversity in the Chicago population. There are all kinds of extracurricular groups and activities at UIC.

I think UIC students may sometimes complain while going through medical school; however, once they graduate they don't have as much complaints because they know that they went through a rigorous curriculum and are prepared to handle any challenge they face.

the match lists are comparable. i guess it does depend on your "learning style," but personally if i'm paying tens of thousands of dollars to go to med school, i'd like to have all the help i can get. besides, our tour guide definitely told us that 40% of first years had to retake neurosci over the summer last year. who the hell takes med school summer classes? it seems like all the "self study" is going really well over there.

but, YOU ARE RIGHT: diversity really is NOT comparable. loyola seems like it's trying to keep the place less diverse (with the numbers...it's a little crazy and extremely unfortunate), and uic is extremely diverse. like, ridiculously so. pretty awesome.

things to think about.

SpeedRacer said:
as an out of stater, i find the tuition to be RIDICULOUS at uic, and it seems like at loyola i'd at least know exactly where my money was going (to the facilities that serve me) - i.e. i don't think they are superficialities.

the match lists are comparable. i guess it does depend on your "learning style," but personally if i'm paying tens of thousands of dollars to go to med school, i'd like to have all the help i can get. besides, our tour guide definitely told us that 40% of first years had to retake neurosci over the summer last year. who the hell takes med school summer classes? it seems like all the "self study" is going really well over there.

that being said, you're right, diversity really isn't comparable. loyola seems like it's trying to keep the place less diverse (with the numbers...it's a little crazy and extremely unfortunate), and uic is extremely diverse. i guess it depends what your priorities are.

PS i don't think uic sucks...it's a great school. maybe it's a great school for in-staters but not such an obvious choice for the out of state applicant.

I agree that the tuition for out-of-staters is ridiculous for UIC. Also, I have heard of students at Loyola repeating some classes too. This may not be during the summer but may be an add-on for the second year? Don't know. Loyola does kick out students also who don't meet their academic criteria. I think it is great that you know where your tuition is going, i.e. facilities. I think the computer-based learning and electronic medical records at UIC's hospital can't be beat either though. I believe each school has its merits.

I would agree though that tuition at loyola can't be beat if you are an out-of-stater.

UIC does have study resources but I admit you have to go hunting for them from the Dean of Student Affairs. If you don't ask for help at UIC, I agree that you won't receive any help. Like I said, UIC is for self-learners.

I am glad that Loyola is the best fit for you. In the long run, you will have to live with the choice that you made. I believe medical school is what you make of it, if you do well, I agree it probably won't matter that much if you went to either school.

UICCOM does have more research opportunities and more groups to which one can join due to its diversity. Also, UICCOM has a strong minority presence which may be important for some. UICCOM can also boast that it has great clinicians which is reflected in the "Top Chicago Physicians."I am sure Loyola does too. The ENT, neurology, psychiatry, internal med., surgery, ophtho, ortho, etc. depts. are very strong at UIC. This is reflected in the quality of residents in each dept.

I don't mean to offend anybody. Loyola is a good school too. I think you made a wise decision based upon your circumstances.

Best wishes,
psychedoc2b

loyola b/c you're not in-state (why are you applying if you're not in-state?) If you were an Illinois resident this would be a no-brainer

Just want to clear up a few things about Loyola:

1. Californians - We have very few students from California - 3 in my class of 140. We actually have a ton of midwesterners for better or for worse.

2. Diversity - Loyola is trying very hard to improve the diversiity of it's classes. I think my year has been an all time low for the school. This year's class is much improved. As I understand it, Loyola has struggled to find ways to attract minorities, but they now have a growing Summer Enrichment Program that seems to be working.

Just wanted to dispell some rumors. As some of you know, I choose Loyola over UIC, but I think both are excellent schools with good opportunities. Any of you would do well to go to either school. My suggestion is to go with the place that fits your personality.

If you are torn between the two places, you should go back for second looks and try to talk to people in both their preclinical and clinical years. This is the best way to get information, rather than relying on the rumors and opinions of SDN.

My 2 cents!
Laurie

LaurieB said:
Just want to clear up a few things about Loyola:

1. Californians - We have very few students from California - 3 in my class of 140. We actually have a ton of midwesterners for better or for worse.

2. Diversity - Loyola is trying very hard to improve the diversiity of it's classes. I think my year has been an all time low for the school. This year's class is much improved. As I understand it, Loyola has struggled to find ways to attract minorities, but they now have a growing Summer Enrichment Program that seems to be working.

Just wanted to dispell some rumors. As some of you know, I choose Loyola over UIC, but I think both are excellent schools with good opportunities. Any of you would do well to go to either school. My suggestion is to go with the place that fits your personality.

If you are torn between the two places, you should go back for second looks and try to talk to people in both their preclinical and clinical years. This is the best way to get information, rather than relying on the rumors and opinions of SDN.

My 2 cents!
Laurie

I agree! I did meet some CA students from Loyola though in the past but they may not be representative of the school.

BTW, I know I sound biased towards UICCOM but I would encourage everybody to go with their gut feeling. Choose the school that best fits your interests and personality.

In the end, you have to make a decision that you can live with for the next four years.

Also, I only know info about the Chicago campus and cannot tell much about the other campuses of the University of Illinois.

I also forgot to add that UIC at Chicago has just built a state-of-the-art medical school building which will be the new home for the medical school classes and labs. It is near the state-of-the-art outpatient clinics.

Also there is a new gym facility that was just built and so is brand-spanking new too. It's near the Student Union Building facing the VA hospital. There is always construction going on at UIC at Chicago. I guess the increased tuitions at UIC are going somewhere also.

You should ask during your tour to see these facilities.
psychedoc2b

velocypedalist said:
loyola b/c you're not in-state (why are you applying if you're not in-state?) If you were an Illinois resident this would be a no-brainer

i figured with the ridiculously high tuition, that you MUST be considered in-state after the first year. apparently that's not true...which is freaking ridiculous.

Paperboy! said:
i figured with the ridiculously high tuition, that you MUST be considered in-state after the first year. apparently that's not true...

nope...definitely not true...that's why i was surprised to see so many out of staters at my interview

If youre looking at purely the campus. I'll have to say that the facilities for UIC are pretty darn good. The downtown Chicago atmosphere rocks. I would love to go to UIC Med school.

I currently am an undergrad there, but I work in the medical district. Its a nice place.

don't know too much about Loyola campus, but a lot of my friends had the option to pick between Loyola and UIC and they went with UIC.

Hishashish said:
If youre looking at purely the campus. I'll have to say that the facilities for UIC are pretty darn good. The downtown Chicago atmosphere rocks. I would love to go to UIC Med school.

I currently am an undergrad there, but I work in the medical district. Its a nice place.

don't know too much about Loyola campus, but a lot of my friends had the option to pick between Loyola and UIC and they went with UIC.

The Loyola campus is certainly better looking and the perks of the faciluties (I'm thinking especially of the gym) are overwhelmingly in favor of Loyola. But out of state tuition for UIC is sky high and its not easy to get state citizenship. So here's my $0.02 again. Academically they probably both get you to about the same place, lets call that a wash. Aesthetically Loyola is nicer, you can decide for yourself what that's worth. So it comes down to cost, which makes this a really easy decision tree...

IF illinois resident THEN go to UIC
IF out of state THEN go to Loyola