People who do hospice volunteering, do you love it? How has it motivated you to medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilikespidey

Reaction score
I’m planning on doing hospice volunteering in the near future because I want to get clinical experience with patients (currently a freshman in college). I have no idea what it’s like, but I’ve heard from many it’s actually a positive, enlightening experience. Wanted to hear from those who’ve done it before and any advice you would give for a newbie like me who wants to start.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I currently work at a hospital that has a ED. So our volunteers mostly just work to give patients drinks and any blankets and pillows, things like that. They also sanitize the beds, and just look for small things to help with around the hospital like restocking gloves for example. Have you thought about shadowing in a free clinic? I think it’s a great experience for people looking to get involved in underserved communities and also you can likely play a larger role as a volunteer. You may be able to find a volunteer scribe role at a free clinic and get some experience. Then who knows you may enjoy it and join scribe America or something.

To answer your question more directly, it depends on the role you are playing in the hospital. You can absolutely try it out and see how you like it, there is no commitments typically.

My advice to you is to try to find some clinical employment opportunities early and stick with it through college. Maybe take like an EMT course. That’s what I wish I would have done and then I could have worked in a clinical setting throughout college and if you take a gap year or two. There are also opportunities at hospitals like patient transport, clinical technician, patient registration, and more that require little to no training. EMT just sounds like the most fun to me

I've been hospice volunteering for some time now and it has been a difficult but extremely rewarding experience for me. I'd definitely agree that it's a positive, enlightening experience. You'll learn and think a lot about life and death, and I definitely developed a lot of communication and other soft skills while working with hospice patients. I would dare say that hospice was one of two experiences which truly cemented my desire to do medicine. However it does have challenges: you will likely become attached to and friends with many of your patients only for them to pass away soon. That's part of what makes the experience enlightening and enriching but also incredibly difficult. All in all, it's an experience that isn't for the faint of heart but definitely something I would recommend.

As for tips:
  • Training for hospice is actually a pretty long process so be sure you have the time for it
  • There's many different ways to volunteer with hospice patients (direct care, vigil, arts/crafts, pet therapy, music, etc.) so you can find one that's right for you (I personally volunteered as a direct care volunteer with hospice patients with very little time left in their prognosis so the experience of patient death was much more frequent for me)
  • Resiliency is a valuable trait

Reactions: 3 users