Official*** Exams more like the real MCAT ~~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truethat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I tried searching and could not reach a consensus from what I read. Maybe we can all pitch in and come up with a general SDN consensus. Only post if you have actually taken an MCAT administered by the AAMC under regular conditions (CBT inclusive) Thanks.

sorry for all the options :oops:

hope it helps

P.S. you can choose more than one option

Members don't see this ad.

I think the AAMC are the only ones really like the real thing. The more recent the better. The Princeton Review diags are much harder.

MoosePilot said:
I think the AAMC are the only ones really like the real thing. The more recent the better. The Princeton Review diags are much harder.

You are probably right, which makes me wish there were more sample full MCATs from the AAMC, there's only what? 6 of them? and only a few are most representative of the real thing..sigh :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming everything on the list is from full length exams and not study material. In the 30+ MCAT thread I'm sure that 80% or more of the posters highly recommended the AAMC full lengths more than anything.

truethat said:
You are probably right, which makes me wish there were more sample full MCATs from the AAMC, there's only what? 6 of them? and only a few are most representative of the real thing..sigh :(

How many do you need?!

HunterGatherer said:
I am assuming everything on the list is from full length exams and not study material. In the 30+ MCAT thread I'm sure that 80% or more of the posters highly recommended the AAMC full lengths more than anything.

yes the list is for full length exams, thanks

I'm sure if there were 12 exams, or whatever, the SDNers would find a way to put it in their study schedule and tell everyone this is something they must do for a 30+ MCAT.
6 is a good number in my opinion. I only did 3R-7

truethat said:

MoosePilot said:
How many do you need?!

I am not sure about 4 is enough to really develop my own strategy. I have a hard time following most strategies given by the prep companies, I am sure with enough exams I could crack the secret to their madness, you know "practice makes perfect"?

Hey, Tt, I recommend the AAMC tests. I used the Kaplan Comprehensive Review book and the TPR book and the AAMC tests and I did well. See if you can find tests 1 & 2. I would send you mine but they are all marked up and would be totally worthless to you. But if you can get them off ebay or something that would be good. (I don't think those tests are especially accurate. On the contrary, I think they would be borderline useless. But they are extra tests and that alone is beneficial.)
Also, I've been following your story from the pre-allo forum. Good Luck! I know the prudent thing is to study for the April test, but I hope you get in and don't have to take it.

I thought none of the tests(kaplan or AAMC) were representative of what the actual bio was like. The Kaplan PS has way too many calculation, but the AAMC ones were a close match to the real thing. Im not sure about verbal. Although kaplan and AAMC verbal passages seemed to have about the same level of difficulty as the real thing, the real thing had a greater number of the most challenging passages.

I think that the "best" tests to use would be the hardest ones because all of the responses you get may be swayed by the test form each of us got.

MarzH05 said:
The Kaplan PS has way too many calculation, but the AAMC ones were a close match to the real thing.

Would you say that Kaplan's PS will prepare you well for the actual PS though? Like if you do very well on Kaplan PS sections, you'll ace the actual PS? Or is the preparation totally off?

Teerawit said:
Would you say that Kaplan's PS will prepare you well for the actual PS though? Like if you do very well on Kaplan PS sections, you'll ace the actual PS? Or is the preparation totally off?

Yes, it will over-prepare you if you can actually ace a kaplan PS section. You can get a significant amount of questions wrong on the kaplan PS section and still score around a 10 so if you ace it, as in think it is really easy than the real thing should be no problem. Any test will "prepare" you because the curve on each test form adequately accounts for what you would get on the real thing However, I would also do a lot of AAMC tests. A lot of the same concepts/situations are frequently emphasized on every real mcat, so taking recent retired AAMC tests will also be beneficial.

MarzH05 said:
Yes, it will over-prepare you if you can actually ace a kaplan PS section. You can get a significant amount of questions wrong on the kaplan PS section and still score around a 10 so if you ace it, as in think it is really easy than the real thing should be no problem. Any test will "prepare" you because the curve on each test form adequately accounts for what you would get on the real thing However, I would also do a lot of AAMC tests. A lot of the same concepts/situations are frequently emphasized on every real mcat, so taking recent retired AAMC tests will also be beneficial.

Is the approach similar though? I mean, taking just any exam helps perhaps know the material, but what if Kaplan (and the others) formulate(s) its questions in a different way than the actual MCAT, won't that represent something like preparing for a marathon that will take place in Paris while practicing in say new orleans? do you follow my drift?

desiredusername said:
Hey, Tt, I recommend the AAMC tests. I used the Kaplan Comprehensive Review book and the TPR book and the AAMC tests and I did well. See if you can find tests 1 & 2. I would send you mine but they are all marked up and would be totally worthless to you. But if you can get them off ebay or something that would be good. (I don't think those tests are especially accurate. On the contrary, I think they would be borderline useless. But they are extra tests and that alone is beneficial.)
Also, I've been following your story from the pre-allo forum. Good Luck! I know the prudent thing is to study for the April test, but I hope you get in and don't have to take it.

Thanks DU

Are AAMC 1 and 2 like older release exams, before the new changes? I guess even if they are old the question format is probably the same right?

Thanks for your words of encouragement!

truethat said:
Are AAMC 1 and 2 like older release exams, before the new changes? I guess even if they are old the question format is probably the same right?
That's exactly it. The content is a little different; there are a few more questions per section (but the same time limit) but the style and format is the same.
Also, see if you can find these books in your school library:
MCAT Practice Items: Physical Sciences & Biological Sciences.
MCAT Practice Items: Verbal Reasoning & Writing Sample.
They were both published by the AAMC (in 1991) but they aren't available to buy anymore. Each one has approx 200 more questions in each subject test. Your library may not have them, though...

AAMC 7 & 8 are the closest to the real thing you could get and they were still off a little (from my form).

truethat said:
Is the approach similar though? I mean, taking just any exam helps perhaps know the material, but what if Kaplan (and the others) formulate(s) its questions in a different way than the actual MCAT, won't that represent something like preparing for a marathon that will take place in Paris while practicing in say new orleans? do you follow my drift?

Yes, I see what you are saying. I was trying to say that both types of tests have their merits. Kaplan may have some harder sections than AAMC ones, so it will prepare you for the hard sections on the real thing as well as test a deeper knowledge of the sciences. AAMC is useful because you may see the same exact concept on the real thing, but with questions worded slightly differently. Both of which are useful because your curved score will be an accurate representation of what you will get on the real thing. To clarify, Kaplan may help you get ready for the harder sections on the actual thing, whereas AAMC will help you with the concepts that are frequently on the exam. If you must choose 1, use AAMC. If you have the time and resources, use both.

*with that being said, my test form(with the exception of the PS section) seemed to be more of a reading comprehension test. You had to reason some of your answers using some very basic bio knowledge, but the thing that made it hard was trying to understand what the hell the passage was outlining(it was mostly confusing experiments, so only upper level bio classes would have helped me more with that one. Or better reading comprehension overall)