Post your ROL 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eklipse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Come on people, you know you want to post your ROL's! Someone's got to start this thread sooner or later.

Not that it's going to change anyone's opinion of where they want to go, which is obviously a very personal decision, but it's interesting to see where people want to go.

Members don't see this ad.

Here, I'll start. I'm only going to list my top choices, even though I'll be ranking more.

1 Boston U Med Ctr-MA
2 Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U
3 UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA
4 Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
5 Hosp of the Univ of PA
6 B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
7 Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
8 Univ Maryland Med Ctr

Eklipse said:
Here, I'll start. I'm only going to list my top choices, even though I'll be ranking more.

1 Boston U Med Ctr-MA
2 Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U
3 UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA
4 Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
5 Hosp of the Univ of PA
6 B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
7 Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
8 Univ Maryland Med Ctr

Most of us on here have decided to not post our ROL because there are several Program Directors and residents from programs on this site who know who we are.

We mostly agreed to post them after Feb 22nd. when programs have to have their lists in as well.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
12R34Y said:
Most of us on here have decided to not post our ROL because there are several Program Directors and residents from programs on this site who know who we are.

We mostly agreed to post them after Feb 22nd. when programs have to have their lists in as well.

later

Agree, at least half of us here know each other on a first name basis and have met in person. I just think it is inappropriate to do it unless you have gone out of your way to create a new screen-name and be 100% anonymous. But thats a bit overkill when you can just wait until Feb 23rd. I probably will wait until March, or maybe never.

How could a program director know who you are? The screen names are anonymous. Unless you private messaged them and identified yourself.

By the way, which program directors are on this forum and where are they from? The only one I've noticed is BKN.

12R34Y said:

later

I think I'm adequately annonymous. Plus, this list is still changing slightly every couple of days. I can't stop messing with it. Anyway, here it is (for now).

1 Northwestern
2 Jacobi
3 Brigham/MGH
4 Boston Medical Center
5 Yale
6 Cook County
7 Mt Sinai
8 Penn
9 St. Luke's/Roosevelt
10 Downstate/Kings County

By the way, I hated how a lot of people said things like, "people who like northwestern won't like cook," or "people who like BMC won't like Brigham/MGH." I liked all of those programs a lot, for different reasons. I like that it's up to the "ranking gods" which program I will end up at. It makes my "decision" a lot easier.

For you non-4th years out there (specifically 3rd years). Know that you should read these rank lists not as a ranking of quality of programs, but as a list of individual impressions and personal factors. Also know that a lot of people will not rank certain programs. For me, that means I would be extremely happy ending up at any of the programs on my rank list. Any programs I didn't like, I didn't rank - simple as that.

emmd06 is definitely right about these rank lists, for those who aren't familiar. There were only a couple programs I wasn't so hot about, and I didn't include them in my list here. Every program I listed is great for different reasons, I would be happy and feel privileged to train at any of them.

corpsmanUP said:
Agree, at least half of us here know each other on a first name basis and have met in person. I just think it is inappropriate to do it unless you have gone out of your way to create a new screen-name and be 100% anonymous. But thats a bit overkill when you can just wait until Feb 23rd. I probably will wait until March, or maybe never.

I did the new screen name thing... and then still deleted the posts shortly after listing. I'm a wimp :laugh:

To the OP - this site is well known and even if they don't post many PDs are here as are several chief residents. One of the old moderators was a PD, and Dr. Harwood recently posted here. If your screen name means anything that makes you identifiable (lets say you used to be a firefighter and picked a screen name like Fightsfire :D) you might be found out. Just something to consider prior to the programs' lists being final. That said, I don't think just posting a list would influence anything - but if you've posted things that might be more controversial...

- H

Also the attending from Christiana posts on here Dr Peksi I believe. Ill wait until Feb 23rd. Also as mentioned by H (FoughtFyr) lots of residents peruse this thing. Not all the names are that anonymous, corpsmanUP mentioned people figured out who he was. I dont think my username gives away a lot (besides my heinous looks :D ) but I did PM one of the residents on here what my name was and it is a program I am very interested in. I guess Im chix.

I'll dare to post...

1) In-n-Out (longshot, I know) :love: + fellowship in fry mechanics
2) University of Washington-Harborview
3) University of Miami

and, well, the rest just pale in comparison

FoughtFyr said:
I did the new screen name thing... and then still deleted the posts shortly after listing. I'm a wimp :laugh:

Yeah, I had wanted to change my old screenname anyway, so I did before posting my list. I need an excuse to do (or not do) the littlest things these days. My plan this morning was to sleep in and then work on the paper we have to write as 4th years. Since a fly woke me up at 8:00, I decided to go swimming, then running, then play video games instead. See what I mean by excuses?

jigga_what said:
I'll dare to post...

3) University of Miami

CRAP!!!! I have the same 3 but I switched #2 and #3.. You know hometown..

If i get my #1..Im going for the rapidburgerflipping fellowship.. I hear it is the most competitve :p

I think PD and chief residents probably have better things to do with their time than scour SDN trying to figure out who some random person's ROL is and then go back and alter their program's ROL accordingly. I guess it's reasonable if your screen name gives you away, but I'll take my chances.

Plus, I doubt programs change your rank all that much regardless of where you rank them, unless programs really do care a lot about how far down they go on their rank lists.

FoughtFyr said:

To the OP - this site is well known and even if they don't post many PDs are here as are several chief residents. One of the old moderators was a PD, and Dr. Harwood recently posted here. If your screen name means anything that makes you identifiable (lets say you used to be a firefighter and picked a screen name like Fightsfire :D) you might be found out. Just something to consider prior to the programs' lists being final. That said, I don't think just posting a list would influence anything - but if you've posted things that might be more controversial...

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
Eklipse said:
I think PD and chief residents probably have better things to do with their time than scour SDN trying to figure out who some random person's ROL is and then go back and alter their program's ROL accordingly. I guess it's reasonable if your screen name gives you away, but I'll take my chances.

Plus, I doubt programs change your rank all that much regardless of where you rank them, unless programs really do care a lot about how far down they go on their rank lists.

Thank goodness someone posted this! Even if you are well known, I can't imagine *any* program director or chief resident who would alter a rank list because they saw your rank list. (I am assuming the paranoia stems from "they'll see I ranked them lower and will thus rank me lower") and really, you have to ask yourself, if a resident or PD goes out of the way to figure out your rank list, then go and change your ranking, do you really want to go there?

And honestly, last year, a poster put up her rank list, and matched at her #1... I don't remember running to the PD and saying HEY! rank her first she's ranking us. (She is one of our best interns btw!) :love:

PD's and resident have more than enough to do than adjust rankings based on applicants rankings.

And any PD/resident worth thier salt knows that ranking is a highly personal thing. Life, spouses, cities, etc all play into rankings. So relax.

roja said:
Thank goodness someone posted this! Even if you are well known, I can't imagine *any* program director or chief resident who would alter a rank list because they saw your rank list. (I am assuming the paranoia stems from "they'll see I ranked them lower and will thus rank me lower") and really, you have to ask yourself, if a resident or PD goes out of the way to figure out your rank list, then go and change your ranking, do you really want to go there?

And honestly, last year, a poster put up her rank list, and matched at her #1... I don't remember running to the PD and saying HEY! rank her first she's ranking us. (She is one of our best interns btw!) :love:

PD's and resident have more than enough to do than adjust rankings based on applicants rankings.

And any PD/resident worth thier salt knows that ranking is a highly personal thing. Life, spouses, cities, etc all play into rankings. So relax.

Hey, I'll admit it...

I'm just too paranoid! Plus I don't really have it settled for sure anyway.

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. " ;)

Yeah, I understand the flux. My number one was not in flux but my middles fluctuated a lot until the very end....

posting ROL aside, this thread begs the question... Does telling your number one they're "number 1" have any bearing on their rank list?

Jigga they all say no.. Esp BKN.. I have to think it matters.. maybe im wrong..

jigga_what said:
posting ROL aside, this thread begs the question... Does telling your number one they're "number 1" have any bearing on their rank list?

It has absolutely no bearing. We just finished our ranking of applicants today after a 9 hr meeting.

Those that are worried about it are being exceptionally paranoid.

mike

so mike,

is this rank list now written in stone? or do you guys leave any room for last minute changes such as submission of step 2 scores, etc.

JkGrocerz said:
so mike,

is this rank list now written in stone? or do you guys leave any room for last minute changes such as submission of step 2 scores, etc.

The rank list is finalized. It's not officially submitted until later in Feb, but our PD has already said he would not make any unilateral changes.

mike

Marc Squillante is on here as well from time to time from Uof I at Peoria.

I'm not risking anything.

no ROL from me.....paranoia is the rule around here.

later

YEAH paranoia!!! I dont think any of the PDs from the programs ill be ranking are on here but... nonetheless Im in no rush..

mikecwru said:
The rank list is finalized. It's not officially submitted until later in Feb, but our PD has already said he would not make any unilateral changes.

mike

Well, finally some piece of mind knowing I can curse your name now!! :laugh: :D Exactly how far can I push you before I become a unilateral change?? :p

Now I am just waiting to hear from Foughtfire that they too have finished theirs so I can start making fun of him as well.....Good times are a coming! :laugh:

mikecwru said:
It has absolutely no bearing. We just finished our ranking of applicants today after a 9 hr meeting.

Those that are worried about it are being exceptionally paranoid.

mike

Nine hours :confused: :( Consider reorganizing your scoring system.

Well, I have never heard about any CA PDs or chief residents on this site. So here is my ROL:

1. Harbor-UCLA
2. LAC+USC
3. UCLA-Olive View
4. Highland
5. Stanford
6. Loma Linda
7. UCI

As you can see, I want to stay here in California :love: .

Good luck everyone! :luck:

I feel like if I talk about it, I'll jinx us. I really wish I could calm down the insides about this!!!

LuvbugMD said:
Well, I have never heard about any CA PDs or chief residents on this site. So here is my ROL:

1. Harbor-UCLA
2. LAC+USC
3. UCLA-Olive View
4. Highland
5. Stanford
6. Loma Linda
7. UCI

As you can see, I want to stay here in California :love: .

Good luck everyone! :luck:
LuvBug I fwded this on to Burbulys and Swadron.. :D

EctopicFetus said:
Im kidding of COURSE!!!

:laugh:

EF, that would be kind of funny if you really did forward my ROL.

However, at this point in time I am totally exhausted :eek: with the whole process. I have officially "Purelled" my hands clean! My plans right now are to relax, play hard, and enjoy my last few months of having very little patient responsibility. I think Burbulys and Swadron would want it that way.

Luvbug 4th yr is the BOMB!!! Best of luck with the match.. Get some rest I was pooped in Dec and Jan.. dealing with interviews and familial responsibilities.. I traveled like a mad man! Its all over and im just chillin and partying as much as possible!

EctopicFetus said:
Luvbug 4th yr is the BOMB!!! Best of luck with the match.. Get some rest I was pooped in Dec and Jan.. dealing with interviews and familial responsibilities.. I traveled like a mad man! Its all over and im just chillin and partying as much as possible!

I think I'll wait on giving my list too, since I don't want ectopic forwarding it to every PD haha.

rohit good call I have EVERY PD on my buddy email list!! Watch out!!

EctopicFetus said:
rohit good call I have EVERY PD on my buddy email list!! Watch out!!

It would be fun to see where everyone ends up though, I'm sure some of you have met at interviews and stuff, but there are still a lot of EM conferences and stuff where people will end up meeting each other.

Rohit the majority of people on here stated that they would put their ROLs up s/p Feb 22 when the ROLs are official.. Thats what I corpsmanUP, stw, 12r34y CS_22, and a bunch of others decided.. feel free to post yours!!

EctopicFetus said:
Rohit the majority of people on here stated that they would put their ROLs up s/p Feb 22 when the ROLs are official.. Thats what I corpsmanUP, stw, 12r34y CS_22, and a bunch of others decided.. feel free to post yours!!

No I agree, I'll probably wait til the end. I'm one of those worriers about not matching ever haha. Don't want to jinx anything right?

I understand all of the jitters about posting your ROL prior to 2/22, especially those of you who are not that anonymous. I still have jitters too. However, I am a strong believer of the philosophy..."Claim it and it shall be yours!" ;).

So let's see more people claiming their future (if you have a screen name like Luvbug or emmd2be)! According to the stats, all of us will definitely match to our top 7 or 8 and most of us will match to our top 3. Everyone on this board seems to be awesome so I doubt there will be any disasters. :thumbup:

LuvbugMD said:
I understand all of the jitters about posting your ROL prior to 2/22, especially those of you who are not that anonymous. I still have jitters too. However, I am a strong believer of the philosophy..."Claim it and it shall be yours!" ;).

So let's see more people claiming their future (if you have a screen name like Luvbug or emmd2be)! According to the stats, all of us will definitely match to our top 7 or 8 and most of us will match to our top 3. Everyone on this board seems to be awesome so I doubt there will be any disasters. :thumbup:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love the optimism. You don't have to claim it here, but claim it inside.

1. Baton Rouge
2. Duke
3. Louisville
4. Rochester
5. Lansing
6. York
7. William Beaumont
8. St. Johns, Detroit
9. Buffalo

But seriously, I'm only sure about the top 3. I liked every program where I interviewed.

BKN said:
Nine hours :confused: :( Consider reorganizing your scoring system.
Yeah bro, seriously. Tomorrow night we have our "Rank list / tomato throwing party" at one of our attendings. Read: Beer / Pizza. Takes about 1 hour to go through the list and make any changes. Beer takes quite a bit longer.

Q

jigga_what said:
I'll dare to post...

3) University of Miami

I thought your #1 was a Cardiology program?

mward04 said:
I thought your #1 was a Cardiology program?

Well, I figure if I get my In N Out spot, then a fellowship in Cardiology would be very prudent move after that. Imagine being triple-boarded in EM, fry mechanics, and cardiology - my own built-in population! ¨Old Jed´s a millionaire....¨

Pleased to announce that we completed our interviews today. :thumbup: I've already loaded the data up to the stat engine and generated the preliminary list. Friday we have our match party and I have to defend the list against the faculty member who really thinks we should move this great guy from 186th to first.

BTW we will not be posting our ROL after the 22nd. ;)

So here's mine so far...

1) University of Chicago
2) UCLA Harbor
3) Stanford
4) Mass General/Brigham
5) Cook County
6) Boston Med Center
7) Northwestern

Obviously I'm bias towards 3 year programs. Despite going into interviews thinking it wouldn't be an issue, it's been on my mind a lot recently. It's a year less and an extra $200,000. Anyone else had these concerns?

r54918 said:
So here's mine so far...

1) University of Chicago
2) UCLA Harbor
3) Stanford
4) Mass General/Brigham
5) Cook County
6) Boston Med Center
7) Northwestern

Obviously I'm bias towards 3 year programs. Despite going into interviews thinking it wouldn't be an issue, it's been on my mind a lot recently. It's a year less and an extra $200,000. Anyone else had these concerns?

I don't think it's an necessarily an extra $200k. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a gigantic difference in your training. A more appropriate question is do you think you'd be more adequately prepared for academics if you did a 3 + fellowship vs a 4 year. Also, if you went into academics a four year program would probably expect you to have a fellowship or a few years under your belt if you graduated from a 3 year.

Good luck,

mike

Also I am not so sure it is an extra 200K, a number of the people I spoke with at 4 yr programs mentioned a lot of moonlighting and were bringing in 100K+ or so.. The reality is that you will work many more hours for that 100K than the 200K

mikecwru said:
I don't think it's an necessarily an extra $200k. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a gigantic difference in your training. A more appropriate question is do you think you'd be more adequately prepared for academics if you did a 3 + fellowship vs a 4 year. Also, if you went into academics a four year program would probably expect you to have a fellowship or a few years under your belt if you graduated from a 3 year.

There are some four-year programs that require four years of residency, and one four-year program actually requires four years of residency plus fellowship before you are considered for a position.

Not doing a fourth year might put you at a disadvantage for applying to some jobs (a minority), but doing an extra year will never put you at a disadvantage. Nobody is going to say "I'm not going to hire a four-year grad" whereas the opposite might not be true. ED directors and department chairs who graduated from four-year programs tend to like their own.

(This isn't a post about whether four-year programs are better than three-year programs. This is a post about reality, whether it's justified or not.)

Thanks for the input... I definitely see your points. I guess I'm just not 100% sure that I have my heart set on academics. And if I do, I figure I can always teach at a 3 year program, or just do a fellowhship and have a "specialty niche" in ER.