CCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juantonamera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's headed to Downer's Grove this Fall!! Let's start sharing ideas, questions, etc and get to know each other. And to all you med students currently at CCOM, anything you can add would be awesome!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

juantonamera said:
Who's headed to Downer's Grove this Fall!! Let's start sharing ideas, questions, etc and get to know each other. And to all you med students currently at CCOM, anything you can add would be awesome!! :)

yo juan, it looks like i will be joining you at CCOM. i just found this website. i hope more future CCOMers post here. Have you submitted your housing app? I think I am going to opt out of the dorms...i've been out of college for a couple years, and i dont think i could go back to that. have you heard of good apt buildings?

-boris

I'm going to CCOM too! See you guys in the Fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
borishead said:
yo juan, it looks like i will be joining you at CCOM. i just found this website. i hope more future CCOMers post here. Have you submitted your housing app? I think I am going to opt out of the dorms...i've been out of college for a couple years, and i dont think i could go back to that. have you heard of good apt buildings?

-boris

I just signed up for student housing but I'm hoping to get one of the on-campus apartments or at least a single w/ a private bath. If they don't have any of those available I'm going off campus too, 7am exams be damned. I too have been out of college for a while and the dorms are a big "hell no" for me. I've seen some info. on this site for off-campus housing. Neighborhood suggestions that take into account price, proximity, etc. Try a search for CCOM housing.

cool, thanks. I actually found that thread after i posted that question.

where are all the future CCOMers at?! they must not be lurking around sdn too much, which is probably a good thing. i'd still like to know if there were some of you all out there. holla!

Congrats and welcome fellow CCOMers...it seems like only yesterday I was in your shoes, relaxing and enjoying the time off before school started. We are almost done with first year and lemme tell ya...its a whollatta not fun! But great people, awsome proffs. and nice location make it worth while. One bit of advice, if you ever see an MSII trolling/hopping around campus named Billy Bake, a.k.a. Bizness, just turn the other way and run. Hes nothin but trouble!

BERNZ said:
Congrats and welcome fellow CCOMers...it seems like only yesterday I was in your shoes, relaxing and enjoying the time off before school started. We are almost done with first year and lemme tell ya...its a whollatta not fun! But great people, awsome proffs. and nice location make it worth while. One bit of advice, if you ever see an MSII trolling/hopping around campus named Billy Bake, a.k.a. Bizness, just turn the other way and run. Hes nothin but trouble!

He is damn easy on the eyes though. Concrats CCOMers you have been accepted to a money school

William "Risky Business" Bake

hey guys,

i'm trying to decide between CCOM and COMP....i'm attracted to COMP's block system, non 7:30am exams, and weather...i'm not sure if COMP's rotation are as good as or better than CCOM's??? I know they are both great schools, but i'm still confused.....any thoughts?

Hello, everyone. I will be going to CCOM in the fall too. See you guys there

If you guys have any questions feel free to PM me. Also, if anyone wants my histo atlas I'll sell for cheap and so will my roommate. Also, don't buy the big a$$ Green OMM book. HUGE TIP - when it comes time, buy the cheapest medical equipment offered or they (Welsch-Allen) will put the screws to you. I ended up spending about $600 to much. Anywho, off to Anatomy for last practical ever.

Billy

P.S. Anyone that'll be in D.G and ever wants to go out the soon to be MSII's are probably the greatest partiers the school has ever seen.

Anyone know when the ADCOM meets? I interviewed earlier this month and they said they meet toward the end of the month.

Do you know Malo?

Thanks!

Yea I know Malo, he actually interviewed me last year and ended up teaching one of our physiology workshops just about 2 weeks ago. I went to talk to him before class and he remembered me from the interview and specific details about my work and such...amazing memory he has..like a hawk..hawks have great memories right? Well, nonetheless, very nice guy. And I will not be UNDERSOLD by that BillyBake!!!

Hi everyone! I will be attending CCOM this fall as well. I can't wait to meet you all! I have a question, though, for those of you who commute to campus. I am considering living with my parents (much cheaper) and they're about a 25 min. drive from the campus. Will this be a good idea for my first year? I'm just unsure if an hour's worth of driving back and forth will take too much of a toll on my study time.....and I'm wondering how much more convenient it is to live on campus. Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
laboholic said:
Anyone know when the ADCOM meets? I interviewed earlier this month and they said they meet toward the end of the month.

Do you know Malo?

Thanks!

i meant: Malo, do you know when the adcom meets? ( i know from your blogs that you were an interviewer).

i'll be joining you guys too... can't wait to meet all of you!

the CCOM thread is slowly but surely growing....i like it! :thumbup:

Hey! I guess the Adcom meet today. Im in! :thumbup:

Where are you guys looking for apartments at? I found some online that look really nice for around $8-900 for a 750 sq foot single apt in Downers grove and Lombard. Does anyone know of a good company that is cheaper or is this about the average price?

bbake87 said:
P.S. Anyone that'll be in D.G and ever wants to go out the soon to be MSII's are probably the greatest partiers the school has ever seen.

Ha! You wish...obviously you haven't met too many 4th years. We're all trying to live it up before internship starts in a few months.

Hey if any of you have any questions for a soon-to-be grad let me know. Congrats on choosing CCOM, you'll be happy here.

Check out Yorktown II in Lombard. 5 minute drive from campus, reasonably priced and very nice.

Billy

P.S. Claymore, perhaps we should join forces

laboholic said:
Where are you guys looking for apartments at? I found some online that look really nice for around $8-900 for a 750 sq foot single apt in Downers grove and Lombard. Does anyone know of a good company that is cheaper or is this about the average price?

Pretty sure I'll be at CCOM next year...Hello to everyone:)

I'm also in the "no way in hell i'm staying in a dorm again" category and I really appreciate the advice for nearby affordable housing.

Does anyone know if there's a list at CCOM for people looking to link up with roommates or people with rooms for rent? Man that would be awesome...

Hey BBake, how's the transition from Madtown to Downers?

Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall.

Not to shabby. There are quite a few folks here from Wisco, and thus quite a few parties. if you have any questions PM me

nweb said:
Pretty sure I'll be at CCOM next year...Hello to everyone:)

I'm also in the "no way in hell i'm staying in a dorm again" category and I really appreciate the advice for nearby affordable housing.

Does anyone know if there's a list at CCOM for people looking to link up with roommates or people with rooms for rent? Man that would be awesome...

Hey BBake, how's the transition from Madtown to Downers?

Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall.

Claymore said:
Ha! You wish...obviously you haven't met too many 4th years. We're all trying to live it up before internship starts in a few months.

Hey if any of you have any questions for a soon-to-be grad let me know. Congrats on choosing CCOM, you'll be happy here.

Way to represent Claymore. All those Monday and Wednesday nights at Galloways. Not to mention weekend nights when there were tests on Monday. God that place was such a SH!!THOLE!! We called your ass to go out last night, but you had plans with the wifey. Anyway, we'll go that St. Patties party tommorrow night. If any of you are going to the party tommorrow, Claymore is the guy who slams his shot glasses down on the ground breaking them every time he drinks one. How we haven't been kicked out of every bar yet is beyond me!

Oh yea, If anyone has questions about school, or anything else feel free to ask...

I cannot wait to start at CCOM this fall! That will probably change once we get going, but for now I feel ready. I have done a lot of searching and I don't think there are any apartments available near the school for less than $700/ month. Does anyone know if specific books are that important? I have a relative who is a 3rd year at an M.D. school down in Florida, and she is giving me all her books. I will also be moving out there in the beginning of August to set up and get to know the area. Anyone who wants to meet up and go to a ball game or something during that time send me a message.

Nickp8500 said:
I cannot wait to start at CCOM this fall! That will probably change once we get going, but for now I feel ready. I have done a lot of searching and I don't think there are any apartments available near the school for less than $700/ month. Does anyone know if specific books are that important? I have a relative who is a 3rd year at an M.D. school down in Florida, and she is giving me all her books. I will also be moving out there in the beginning of August to set up and get to know the area. Anyone who wants to meet up and go to a ball game or something during that time send me a message.

Don't buy ANY books yet. Just make sure you have an anatomy atlas and a histo atlas. DON'T buy any textbooks. BRS physio review book is good to have for physiology because you will use it again during second year to study for boards.

Yo who wants to be my roomate? I can't live on campus again. Ill probably shoot myself.

I was actually in the Downers Grove vicinity last weekend and I swung over to CCOM to check out "the Pines" apartments adjacent to campus. Needless to say, the situation looked kind of bleak and so I'm definitely going to try to find something off campus.

Can we set up a "seeking roommate" network here?

I assume you went to UW. That's okay that you went to a sub-par Big10 institution. But like I said, I am actively seeking a roomate since I can't really afford it on my own (ok I can but its expensive and Im cheap).

My classmates can vouch for me.

Ha ha. You must be one of those guys who stresses the "THE" in THE Ohio State University.

Yeah - the only conference basketball game I got to this year was that sweet win over your Buckeyes at our place.

Maybe we could put all this Big10 BS behind us and talk living situations for next year:)

PM Me.

Before we discuss any living situations, i feel the need to explain why we have to say THE.

Its actually because we were, at one point, sued by Ohio University for copyright infringement. Since that school, after all, has been aroung longer than OSU.

Fortunately for you, there are a lot of UW and UM kids here, but only 4 OSU kids in my class.

Hi guys, quick question on the side. Does anyone know if i'll need a car living in downers grove? Don't have the money, but kinda worried won't be able to get around. Thanks

Yes, you need a car. Nothing is really in walking distance.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I assume you went to UW. That's okay that you went to a sub-par Big10 institution. But like I said, I am actively seeking a roomate since I can't really afford it on my own (ok I can but its expensive and Im cheap).

My classmates can vouch for me.

Oh hey Buckeye(OH), Im sorry about the bad loss to us on Sunday. Good luck against Davidson. :)

How many of you current students live by yourselves?

Congrats new CCOMers. I am selling my condo in Oak Park/River Forest. Great location with 25 min to campus and 10 min into city. Has Panera across the street, movie theater, grocery, Borders, etc 1 block away, and one block from the El/Metra trains. Basically in downtown Oak Park. Good central location for 3rd and 4th years. Served me well for 3 of my 4 yrs at CCOM. 2BR, 1Ba, hardwood floors, back deck, vintage, about 1100 sq ft with one parking space and good storage. If you want more info, contact me.

Hi...To some of you current students that are posting here, on the weekends do you guys usually go out around the Downers Grove area or in the city? Do you guys ever have something set up at a bar downtown for CCOM students?

Uh when we go out, which is rare, because we have no time, we either are in Naperville, at the boom boom room (you'll know when you get here), or at some bar thing set up downtown.

Ha, ha, I like Nweb already. I can't wait to party with him. Nweb, did you have any hotties w/you on interview day? Also, someone should have told WI that they played on Thursday b/c no one showed up for the game and we got ass pasted

nweb said:
Ha ha. You must be one of those guys who stresses the "THE" in THE Ohio State University.

Yeah - the only conference basketball game I got to this year was that sweet win over your Buckeyes at our place.

Maybe we could put all this Big10 BS behind us and talk living situations for next year:)

PM Me.

I was just up in Chicago today looking at apartments.
There were 2 I liked. One was the International Village; it was 925/month with heat included and the rooms were VERY nice - then you have the pool tables, pool, nice gym etc, etc (probably hardly use them). The other was the Yorktown II. They were a bit cheaper, but not quite as nice. The thing I liked about Yorktown was that there seemed to be a lot of Midwesterners living there. I dont want to be alienated from the rest of my classmates, but I dont want to feel like im always at school - need to get away. Does anyone know people who live at the international village or have any advice for choosing between Y-town and Int Village?

Thanks!

Anyone catch the score of "The" Ohio State Luckeye's game?

I think all of us Big 10ers should be hangin our heads in shame ---- that was a pitiful showing all around.

I did pick the G'town upset over OSU, but I know the Buckeyes are soon to be comforted by the fact that they're getting 4 of the top 30 high school recruits in the country - Ugh.

Any of you guys in the Sports Med interest group at CCOM? If so, is there much exposure to general topics in PM&R and Orthopedics?

Hey everyone ---

I will most likely be joining all of you in the fall at CCOM! :)

Did anyone else get the Meet & Greet email? Is anyone going? Is it worthwhile going? I live in Chicago and don't have a car so it's somewhat difficult for me to get down there, but if it's worth going then I would try to find a ride. Is anyone living in Chicago planning on going and would be willing to give me a ride?

Thanks guys -- hope to meet you all sooooon!

Jenn

When did you get this email and when is this supposed to go down? I didnt get anything :thumbdown:

YinYin said:
Hey everyone ---

I will most likely be joining all of you in the fall at CCOM! :)

Did anyone else get the Meet & Greet email? Is anyone going? Is it worthwhile going? I live in Chicago and don't have a car so it's somewhat difficult for me to get down there, but if it's worth going then I would try to find a ride. Is anyone living in Chicago planning on going and would be willing to give me a ride?

Thanks guys -- hope to meet you all sooooon!

Jenn

I received it today as an email. It's suppose to be on April 20th from 5:30 until 7? Maybe they only sent it to people in the Chicagoland area?

I got the email too but I think it's not for people who have been accepted to the school. The introduction says:

Meet & Greet Reception
For Prospective Midwestern University Students:

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Chicago College of Pharmacy
College of Health Sciences

I just emailed them and they told me that it is for people who have already been accepted.

Anyone going?