Easiest pharmacy school to pass...no joke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BelowTheMean

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to update you on my experience so far as a pharmacy student at University of Southern Nevada. I am a couple months away from finishing my first year of pharmacy school!! That means i am HALFWAY done with lectures, yup 3 year programs ROCK!

First, I'll tell you a little bit about the school. USN is ACCREDITED and is a 3 year school. The school operates in a block format, which makes it freaken easy for you and me. If you dont know what this is, basically, instead of taking 5+ courses simultaneously during the semester like undergrad, you divide the semester into 5 blocks (2-3 weeks/block). During those 2 weeks, all you do is study ONE class, subject. Sounds hard, nope, very very easy. After the end of those 2 or 3 weeks, you take an exam. Once you pass it, YOU NEVER worry about that subject again. Did i tell you all the exams are multiple choice? And no grading system, just PASS or NO PASS. Then after taking the test, you start the next series or course on the following Tuesday. YUp, 3 day weekend every other week. Also, it is IMPOSSIBLE to fail and get kicked out. You literally have to quit yourself and say I want to do something else. You get like infinite chances to pass. The mult choice tests are straightforward, no tricky, and if you attempted to study, you will get it. So once im done with my exam, i go back to socal where i live and party hard and not have to worry about a single thing because i have completed a course and the next doesnt start til tuesday. So once you've finished the first year, school ends around MAY. You then do 6 weeks of intern work (for me, i chose to do it back in socal where im from). you can do it anywhere you want. AFter you finish those 6 weeks, you then have about 2 months summer vacation! Seriously, i did not think a 3 year school allowed this but i was wrong. Then you go back to school in late August and teh cycle starts again. Then thrid year, you do rotations and you are then DONE!!

My Daily Life: I go to school 8-3pm, with 1 hr lunch. In class, i sleep, play internet games, chat to friends, talk to friends, talk in discussion groups for 20 mins about pharmacy then other subjects. I go home at 3 and then do whatever i want for the rest of the night. No studying is done until a couple days before the exam. For me, i can memorize well, for others, they study for 30mins and then hit the shopping center, go out for dinner, catch a movie, do their hobbies, whatever. Vegas is lively so there's a lot to do. Then on the Friday of exam, i take exam and then go back to socal and spend weekend 3 days with my family. Cycle repeats.

THE ADVANTAGES 3 years, and I'm done. I will get out and work for 120K/year. That is the going rate in Vegas and nearby places. Im freaken serious. Dont believe me, just message me and we can talk about this more and i can PROVE this to you. One of the third year at our schools just got a job offer for 110K with 10k signing bonus at a local retail. So while I get 120k, my friends at UCSD, UCSF, or other 4 year cali schools are still doing their rotations. Worse, they PAY 35K to the school for tuition while I get 120K!!!! That's 155K differential and lost for them! They also do more studying, more hours in school, more stress, while we all basically learn the same stuff! Think about this a lot of the stuff they learn they are NOT going to remember it. It's just for knowledge and you DO NOT USE IT EVER again in pharmacy. Why waste your time learning it. USN just teaches you the important stuff and skips the minute details that you dont need. Also, retailers or people generally DO NOT CARE where you went to school. Sure, UCSF is great, you will get a very good education, but I have not met one pharmacist who needs to know physical chemistry (one of the course in ucsf pharm) to do well on the job EVER. Sure, it's good to know but dont you think it's just a waste of time? If you decide to become a researcher then MAYBE you need it but by that time, you aint gonna remember anything anyways. So it's just a WASTE OF TIME!!!! Also, 100% of USN grads passed the pharm test so no, that means we do learn what we need to know and can perform the job. No diss to UC's and other schools but, why owe 200k for 4 yrs and learn BS stuff you dont need when you pay 90K and graduate in 3 yrs and then make 120K and you basically can pay off tuition in a year! Well, that is my long update.

P.S. H.S. GPA 2.6, SAT 910, College GPA 3.2, USN PASS without difficulty/stress = PRICELESS

Members don't see this ad.

BelowTheMean said:
Hey guys, just wanted to update you on my experience so far as a pharmacy student at University of Southern Nevada. I am a couple months away from finishing my first year of pharmacy school!! That means i am HALFWAY done with lectures, yup 3 year programs ROCK!

First, I'll tell you a little bit about the school. USN is ACCREDITED and is a 3 year school. The school operates in a block format, which makes it freaken easy for you and me. If you dont know what this is, basically, instead of taking 5+ courses simultaneously during the semester like undergrad, you divide the semester into 5 blocks (2-3 weeks/block). During those 2 weeks, all you do is study ONE class, subject. Sounds hard, nope, very very easy. After the end of those 2 or 3 weeks, you take an exam. Once you pass it, YOU NEVER worry about that subject again. Did i tell you all the exams are multiple choice? And no grading system, just PASS or NO PASS. Then after taking the test, you start the next series or course on the following Tuesday. YUp, 3 day weekend every other week. Also, it is IMPOSSIBLE to fail and get kicked out. You literally have to quit yourself and say I want to do something else. You get like infinite chances to pass. The mult choice tests are straightforward, no tricky, and if you attempted to study, you will get it. So once im done with my exam, i go back to socal where i live and party hard and not have to worry about a single thing because i have completed a course and the next doesnt start til tuesday. So once you've finished the first year, school ends around MAY. You then do 6 weeks of intern work (for me, i chose to do it back in socal where im from). you can do it anywhere you want. AFter you finish those 6 weeks, you then have about 2 months summer vacation! Seriously, i did not think a 3 year school allowed this but i was wrong. Then you go back to school in late August and teh cycle starts again. Then thrid year, you do rotations and you are then DONE!!

My Daily Life: I go to school 8-3pm, with 1 hr lunch. In class, i sleep, play internet games, chat to friends, talk to friends, talk in discussion groups for 20 mins about pharmacy then other subjects. I go home at 3 and then do whatever i want for the rest of the night. No studying is done until a couple days before the exam. For me, i can memorize well, for others, they study for 30mins and then hit the shopping center, go out for dinner, catch a movie, do their hobbies, whatever. Vegas is lively so there's a lot to do. Then on the Friday of exam, i take exam and then go back to socal and spend weekend 3 days with my family. Cycle repeats.

THE ADVANTAGES 3 years, and I'm done. I will get out and work for 120K/year. That is the going rate in Vegas and nearby places. Im freaken serious. Dont believe me, just message me and we can talk about this more and i can PROVE this to you. One of the third year at our schools just got a job offer for 110K with 10k signing bonus at a local retail. So while I get 120k, my friends at UCSD, UCSF, or other 4 year cali schools are still doing their rotations. Worse, they PAY 35K to the school for tuition while I get 120K!!!! That's 155K differential and lost for them! They also do more studying, more hours in school, more stress, while we all basically learn the same stuff! Think about this a lot of the stuff they learn they are NOT going to remember it. It's just for knowledge and you DO NOT USE IT EVER again in pharmacy. Why waste your time learning it. USN just teaches you the important stuff and skips the minute details that you dont need. Also, retailers or people generally DO NOT CARE where you went to school. Sure, UCSF is great, you will get a very good education, but I have not met one pharmacist who needs to know physical chemistry (one of the course in ucsf pharm) to do well on the job EVER. Sure, it's good to know but dont you think it's just a waste of time? If you decide to become a researcher then MAYBE you need it but by that time, you aint gonna remember anything anyways. So it's just a WASTE OF TIME!!!! Also, 100% of USN grads passed the pharm test so no, that means we do learn what we need to know and can perform the job. No diss to UC's and other schools but, why owe 200k for 4 yrs and learn BS stuff you dont need when you pay 90K and graduate in 3 yrs and then make 120K and you basically can pay off tuition in a year! Well, that is my long update.

P.S. H.S. GPA 2.6, SAT 910, College GPA 3.2, USN PASS without difficulty/stress = PRICELESS

I know of a few people that would disagree with you.

wow...you just pissed on your own school!

Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unbelievable...it can't be THAT easy...can it?

I seriously doubt this story!!! The only thing that I believe is the pay in Vegas. I am from Florida and you can get $100K in West Palm Beach.

hmmm...very bizarre post. Seriously, are you trying to promote your school or tear it down? What was the point of your post because I can't figure it out? I'm not being snarky; I really would like to know.

nerdystar said:
hmmm...very bizarre post. Seriously, are you trying to promote your school or tear it down? What was the point of your post because I can't figure it out? I'm not being snarky; I really would like to know.

He posted something before like this and other USN students disagreed. Everyone says that the first year in pharmacy school is much easier than the rest.

Anyone that attends USN want to comment?

I know a few people that are current students or students that have graduated from USN and they have told me that the program is/was quite challenging and rigorous.

Smilescali said:
He posted something before like this and other USN students disagreed. Everyone says that the first year in pharmacy school is much easier than the rest.

I know a few people that are current students or students that have graduated from USN and they have told me that the program is/was quite challenging and rigorous.

Which school isn't rigorous? For God sakes, you cant take everything at face value people. I dont either believe that Southern Nevada grants degrees like University of Phoenix either, but I did learn some things.

First, it is a three year program. Second, one class at a time (at least your mind won't be in five different subjects at the same time)? Third, I dont think that he is trying to dis his school. Seems to me he is glad (1) that he passed the first year and (2) he believes that the school's policies enable him to do better than in a traditional program.

He is right: Pharmacies do not care where you graduate from. Pass your exams, get licensed, and get a job. I wish every school was like his (if his story is correct)

TennisBoy78 said:
Which school isn't rigorous? For God sakes, you cant take everything at face value people. I dont either believe that Southern Nevada grants degrees like University of Phoenix either, but I did learn some things.

First, it is a three year program. Second, one class at a time (at least your mind won't be in five different subjects at the same time)? Third, I dont think that he is trying to dis his school. Seems to me he is glad (1) that he passed the first year and (2) he believes that the school's policies enable him to do better than in a traditional program.

He is right: Pharmacies do not care where you graduate from. Pass your exams, get licensed, and get a job. I wish every school was like his (if his story is correct)

Oh, thank you Tennisboy for educating me on USN :rolleyes:

Smilescali said:
Oh, thank you Tennisboy for educating me on USN :rolleyes:

Lighten up people. I think your response is sarcastic.

I feel that we have some people who are honest about things (and yeah, they may exaggerate some things, but they are honest with you about their feelings) And then there are the people who think that they have to be politically correct about everything and only show their feeling of frustration when they hear idiots like us talk candidly about some things.

If we are all going to be PC, what is the purpose of having a forum?

How did you get into USN with a 3.2 GPA?

Seems very low for USN.

LoL Belowthemean, you remind me of myself. But the only negative thing I have to say about your post is everything you "wrote" made it sound like its great to take shortcuts in life, might not have been what you meant but just sounded like it, those who take shortcuts get cut short. But if what you're saying is true, very good post and very good info for everyone who's looking at pharm schools to apply to. :) Good luck w/ the rest of it man, and by the way someone said a 3.2 was low for your school, are you a minority?

At first glance I assumed this guy was just trolling, or being excessively sarcastic. But reading through his previous posts, it sounds like he's serious.

I'd be interested in hearing someone else from USN comment on his statements.

Members don't see this ad :)
TennisBoy78 said:
Lighten up people. I think your response is sarcastic.

I feel that we have some people who are honest about things (and yeah, they may exaggerate some things, but they are honest with you about their feelings) And then there are the people who think that they have to be politically correct about everything and only show their feeling of frustration when they hear idiots like us talk candidly about some things.

If we are all going to be PC, what is the purpose of having a forum?
word. there was some valuable information in the original post, that goes beyond whether he/she was "pissing on his/her school." thanks belowthemean.

cosmicstarr said:
How did you get into USN with a 3.2 GPA?

Seems very low for USN.

That was my overall gpa, my science gpa was about 3.45. Also, i did a lot of other things. 3 years of research and a lot of volunteer work. Not everything is gpa. For those of you who think I am dissing my own school, you probably didnt get my intentions. NO, i am not dissing my school. Yes, i am tryin to tell you there is more to it than just trying and trying to get into your top school. I mean, it's good to go to the UCSFs and and the Harvards of pharmacy, but it's not the end of all ends. To others, I am not saying that taking shortcuts is the way through life. Im saying however, that there is more to life than just school and academics. My point is why waste time on courses you dont need, and trust me, there are a lot of courses you dont need that are taught at the Havards of pharmacy when you can relax yourself a little and spend that time doing "other" stuff that you like. As much as I love pharmacy, there is more to life than just Pharmacy. I mean, if you like to learn more, that's great, but im just informing pharmacy students that the USNs of the world teach you to become as efficient a pharmacist as UCSF, but with less stress and pressure on you, leaving you time to do what YOU want. So what if they know more physical chemistry, I will be as good as them when helping determine dosage and drugs. That's my point. Those who think I am just a bunch of bs, lying, whatnot, think about this. WHY? Do i get anything out of this? As for the exageration part, not really, I am serious, it is not that difficult. However, there are some USN students that do disagree with me. SOME. But really, memorizing takes practice and is not hard. I'll still have my doubters but that's your choice. I'm just here to inform. Ill tell you one thing, Im loving it here and Im not the one losing out.

Smilescali said:

Actually, I honestly do believe this guy/girl and has some validity to this. I mean, he's not saying that you don't do anything and pass, but he did say that he studied 3 days before a class and passed. Seriously, I dont know about you guys but at my university, sometimes i study the day before for a class and get a C. That is passing right? So Im thinking that is what this person meant. Also, remember, it's just a single class that he/she is studying for. Don't tell me you never crammed for a test before. 3-4 days should be sufficient time to cram a lot of material and pass. Remember, it's one subject, so just take a single course from your schedule right now and tell me if you studied 3-4 days before the test for that course you cannot pass it? You're not going for the A, you just need to pass. Also, I had a friend that went to Wingate and said that he was honestly surprised how easy it was. My other friend attending a school in Florida says it isnt so bad either. So I really think this person is being quite honest.

calvinck said:
Actually, I honestly do believe this guy/girl and has some validity to this. I mean, he's not saying that you don't do anything and pass, but he did say that he studied 3 days before a class and passed. Seriously, I dont know about you guys but at my university, sometimes i study the day before for a class and get a C. That is passing right? So Im thinking that is what this person meant. Also, remember, it's just a single class that he/she is studying for. Don't tell me you never crammed for a test before. 3-4 days should be sufficient time to cram a lot of material and pass. Remember, it's one subject, so just take a single course from your schedule right now and tell me if you studied 3-4 days before the test for that course you cannot pass it? You're not going for the A, you just need to pass. Also, I had a friend that went to Wingate and said that he was honestly surprised how easy it was. My other friend attending a school in Florida says it isnt so bad either. So I really think this person is being quite honest.

I heard that to pass a block at USN you have to score at least a 90% on the
exam. You can't just cram a little the night before an exam and expect to get a 90% or better unless the exam just isn't very difficult to begin with.

BiOGoly said:
I heard that to pass a block at USN you have to score at least a 90% on the
exam. You can't just cram a little the night before an exam and expect to get a 90% or better unless the exam just isn't very difficult to begin with.

You'd be surprised. Like i said, you would be. However, you still need to put in a little effort. Im not saying im getting pass with like 1 hr of studying. Depending on how well you know the stuff and how well you can memorize, it should be quite easy. If not, you get second, third, etc chances. Remember, they are not testing you on the molecular weight of the third complex in the electron transport chain or the 5th step of glycolysis. NO, it's basic drugs and concepts. They want you to get the overall picture, not the details or things you can look up in a book. And it's multiple choice, so if you studied it or paid any attention in class and understand the stuff, you should have no problem recognizing it on the test.

BelowTheMean said:
You'd be surprised. Like i said, you would be. However, you still need to put in a little effort. Im not saying im getting pass with like 1 hr of studying. Depending on how well you know the stuff and how well you can memorize, it should be quite easy. If not, you get second, third, etc chances. Remember, they are not testing you on the molecular weight of the third complex in the electron transport chain or the 5th step of glycolysis. NO, it's basic drugs and concepts. They want you to get the overall picture, not the details or things you can look up in a book. And it's multiple choice, so if you studied it or paid any attention in class and understand the stuff, you should have no problem recognizing it on the test.

Interesting...The reason I'm curious about USN is that according to the Dean, my school (Pacific U) is supposed to be a carbon copy of USN's program, soup to nuts. I was wondering how the 90% pass thing was going to work. I always assumed a condensed 3 year program would be like summer O-chem...four hours of sleep a night and never leave the library. Guess I was wrong. Very interesting...

Dammit. I have to take 8 classes each semester, except for my accelerated semesters which have 4 classes compressed into 6 weeks. I also don't get my summer off because I'm on rotations. Studying one subject at a time seems like a dream come true.

It sounds like he's promoting his school. At least he has a life. I think it's helpful to let prospective students know how it is at your school. I wish I'd have known more about schools before I made my decision. You need to get this information from the horse's mouth, not some student during an interview who was chosen for that job because they kiss ass.

BelowTheMean said:

Do you think you will be able to be as good of a pharmacist as people from some other "harder" schools though?

calvinck said:

If you read his other post, USN students did reply to him. I am not saying that his post does not have any validity, maybe he finds the program very easy, but there are people that DO NOT pass the blocks and have to reassess.

When I was at my interview with USN I talked with someone (who I believe was a P2) that said 75/140 people had to reassess one of the blocks. Also, during my interview, a girl that was also interviewing said that one of the guys that was interviewing on the same day as us ((JAN 18th) was reapplying because he was unsuccessful in USN's program in the past. I don't know if that was true, but I doubt that you have infinite chances on passing the blocks.

I will agree that USN's program is innovative and unlike many others. That is why I have applied there. I feel like I will learn better on the block system and I like the fact that they have streamlined their admissions process and curriculum.

His original post made USN sound like a joke, but he has commented more and explained himself a little more about what he was really trying to convey.

This is very interesting to me, cuz I've heard most of the 3-year programs are quite rigorous, like South... in fact, they kept reminding us of that fact during the interview. Of course, they are not on the block system like USN. I believe Mercer follows a similar block schedule except they are a 4-year program. Any other USN students care to back up BelowTheMean?

Smilescali said:
I am not saying that his post does not have any validity, maybe he finds the program very easy, but there are people that DO NOT pass the blocks and have to reassess.

This is why it just isn't nice to ever brag about how easy something was. Maybe it was easy for him, wonderful - but there are people who don't sail through school with no effort and actually have to work hard. So keep your boasting in check, I say.

I think the OP was just trying to stir things up. Congrats kid, you succeeded! No go use your free time for something productive. :)

ethyl said:
Are USN and Mercer the only schools that have block scheduling?

I'd like to know this as well, block scheduling seems pretty good now that I think about it! :thumbup: I know there are others but not sure which ones.

starsweet said:
I'd like to know this as well, block scheduling seems pretty good now that I think about it! :thumbup: I know there are others but not sure which ones.

Yeah, totally. I think I would really like block scheduling. Hmmm... I have no idea what other schools do this though?

JamesL1585 said:
those who take shortcuts get cut short.

Or they get the get there first and get the reward before others?

insipid1979 said:
Do you think you will be able to be as good of a pharmacist as people from some other "harder" schools though?

Being a good pharmacist entails having knowledge, yes, but people skills too. No matter what Nuclear Einsteinian Pharmacy Program you elitist people think your school employs, if you cannot convey basic tools to the old grandma how to take her medication, you are not as good of a pharmacist as you can be.

Simply put, it is nice to know all you can about Pharmacy. But the practicality of the profession should not be neglected.

If block scheduling becomes popular, more and more schools will implement this. It's not necessarily better for all, but it is a lot easier trying to focus on one subject at a time than many subjects at one time. (Especially for us men, whose brains are better to one thing at a time. Women are wired to worry about so much more at one time - but this is off the subject).

insipid1979 said:

Being a good pharmacist entails having knowledge, yes, but people skills too. No matter what Nuclear Einsteinian Pharmacy Program you elitist people think your school employs, if you cannot convey basic tools to the old grandma how to take her medication, you are not as good of a pharmacist as you can be.

Simply put, it is nice to know all you can about Pharmacy. But the practicality of the profession should not be neglected.

If block scheduling becomes popular, more and more schools will implement this. It's not necessarily better for all, but it is a lot easier trying to focus on one subject at a time than many subjects at one time. (Especially for us men, whose brains are better to one thing at a time. Women are wired to worry about so much more at one time - but this is off the subject).

insipid1979 said:

insipid1979 said:

i absolutely hate the idea of block scheduling......

i actually just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a p3 at a school with block... they are in the middle of the 2nd block of ID (3 in a row). every monday they have a test in ID...

you may think this allows you to concentrate on just one subject but no. that is not what it is designed to do

on their test they have endocardidits, surgical prophylaxis, bacterial meningitis, etc (bugs/drugs/and therapeutics) along with pharmacokinetics of the aminoglycosides

all block really means is that all of your classes are on the same general topic at the same time

while in the cardio block you do phys/patho/pharmacology/therapeutics/medchem all at the same time with a test every week

the people i know in it aren't really fans either

and no those aren't the only 2 schools... i know ohio northern is on block as well... i'm not really well versed on all the schools that are on block but i'm sure there are more as it is the "trendy" thing to do

Given the choice and the comments previous, if you were accepted into any CA schools (considering the pass rates of CA schools, i.e. UCSF has a NAPLEX pass rate of 100%, their network, reputation...a strong academic program) would you still choose to go to USN?

Just a thought...

TennisBoy78 said:

I was more referring to the fact that it seems like he wants to get in and out of school as quickly and as easily as possible, while possibly sacrificing some knowledge. If this is the case I hope he doesn't succeed in becoming a pharmacist and give the rest of us harder working people a bad name.

tienn said:
Given the choice and the comments previous, if you were accepted into any CA schools (considering the pass rates of CA schools, i.e. UCSF has a NAPLEX pass rate of 100%, their network, reputation...a strong academic program) would you still choose to go to USN?

Just a thought...

That is totally up to the person. If you want the reputation, the network, then by all means go to the California school. However, like i said, if getting a job, particularly retail is what you're looking for, then think about this. If Savons has an opening, are they going to wait on the student from UCSF or hire the PHARMACIST with licensure already? In the hospital i used to volunteer at, the UCSF pharmacist worked under a pharmacist who went to University of Wyoming. This doesnt prove anything but people, in the real world it's who comes first and has more experience/skills. Im sure a lot of UCSF students become super successful but seriously, a pharmacist is a pharmacist.

insipid1979 said:
I was more referring to the fact that it seems like he wants to get in and out of school as quickly and as easily as possible, while possibly sacrificing some knowledge. If this is the case I hope he doesn't succeed in becoming a pharmacist and give the rest of us harder working people a bad name.

It seems like you are mad that you have to work harder to achieve the same goal. No, I am not lazy, or that I dont want to work hard. Reality is, I do want to get out of school soon. Honestly, does anybody want to stay in school forever? If you do, good for you. Im gonna put my hard work into helping others once I am a pharmacist and that is why I wanted to be a pharmacist. IF i wanted to be a pharmacist to study and study and stay in school, then i would have been a researcher instead and get my phd in pharmacology. Also, everyone seems to think that in order to be the best PHARMACIST you have to go to UCSF or something. NO. Anybody can become a great pharmacist. I understand how you would want someone who is as prepared as they can be before they work. Guess what, I am as prepared as anybody. However, this sacrifice of some knowledge does not hinder me in any way. Example, UCSF requires gross anatomy. Ok, this is good to know but if you are not a doctor, do you need it? So if I sacrifice this, then I am giving pharmacists a bad name? So doesnt that mean then that 90% of pharmacy schools are bad because they dont make you take gross anatomy as part of the curriculum? Yes, it's my loss my school doesnt offer or make you take this. But then again, the lead pharmacist at drug emporium didnt either and he has one of the highest approval ratings by the customers who comes in. So anyways, I hope you understand that i do want to become the best i can but i have different views on it. I am willing to sacrifice classes not particulary needed to become a great pharmacist for time to spend helping others or just to spend with my family. This is my priority. If you like to open up a book and read it then that's your priority. I open books and read too but it doesnt consume my life unlike some of my friends at ucsf. Yeah, he told me he hated it when I was fishing the weekend after block exam and he had to study for 3 midterms. but that's the style he chose and i chose mine. So if you dont like USN style, then dont go. NO one is putting a gun to your head. Im just informing people there are other choices.

insipid1979 said:

Who doesn't want to get in and out of school as quickly and as easily as possible?! I've never in my life encountered someone who wished that school be long, tedious, and drawn out.

calrx said:
Who doesn't want to get in and out of school as quickly and as easily as possible?! I've never in my life encountered someone who wished that school be long, tedious, and drawn out.

I would hope that most people would actually want to know what they are supposed to...besides I sincerely doubt the school is as easy as he says it is or it wouldn't be accredited.

insipid1979 said:
I would hope that most people would actually want to know what they are supposed to...besides I sincerely doubt the school is as easy as he says it is or it wouldn't be accredited.

CAN THICKHEADED PEOPLE LIKE YOU STOP FOR A MOMENT AND REREAD THE SOURCE? DID HE EVER SAY THAT IT WAS EASY, THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING AS YOU ARE IMPLYING?

Point #2: Accreditation (or lack of it) does not make a school easier or harder. All accreditation means is that the Whatever Association of Pharmacy Schools recognizes this program to exhibit certain criteria that they accept, which means that schools must exhibit the MINIMUM set forth guidelines by the association.

No, I don't want responses saying "Are you saying that this school in question (Southern Nevada) is poor." Just saying that some schools want to differentiate their programs from other schools. If Southern Nevada chooses this and it is okay with the Association of Pharmacy Schools, it is their right.

If you are going to make an argument like this, have some sense to know that your school ain't the only school in the country that is able to produce good pharmacists and also that not all pharmacists from Southern Nevada will be as ill-prepared as you suspect. You can come from any pharmacy school and be the best or worst pharmacist ever!

TennisBoy78 said:
CAN THICKHEADED PEOPLE LIKE YOU STOP FOR A MOMENT AND REREAD THE SOURCE? DID HE EVER SAY THAT IT WAS EASY, THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING AS YOU ARE IMPLYING?

Point #2: Accreditation (or lack of it) does not make a school easier or harder. All accreditation means is that the Whatever Association of Pharmacy Schools recognizes this program to exhibit certain criteria that they accept, which means that schools must exhibit the MINIMUM set forth guidelines by the association.

No, I don't want responses saying "Are you saying that this school in question (Southern Nevada) is poor." Just saying that some schools want to differentiate their programs from other schools. If Southern Nevada chooses this and it is okay with the Association of Pharmacy Schools, it is their right.

If you are going to make an argument like this, have some sense to know that your school ain't the only school in the country that is able to produce good pharmacists and also that not all pharmacists from Southern Nevada will be as ill-prepared as you suspect. You can come from any pharmacy school and be the best or worst pharmacist ever!

OK, let me walk you through this. Step 1, take a deep breath. Step 2, reread my 2 sentence post you quoted. Step 3, realize how everything you just posted is ******ed. Step 4, realize that saying a long drawn out explanation of "minimum criteria set for a school by the Association of Pharmacy Schools" is the same thing as me saying that if it was that easy then is wouldn't be accredited. Step 5, when you are going to call someone else thickheaded for saying the original poster said the school was easy when you claim he never said any such thing...at least take the busy time out of your schedule to read the thread title that says "Easiest pharmacy school to pass...no joke". Step 6, please stop using the word..."ain't".

I hope you can handle all that.

Actually after just realizing you are the guy who made the thread "Which are the easiest pharmacy schools to get into?"...just ignore my reply...you are hopeless...and i sincerely doubt any admissions committee is going to appreciate your lack of commitment or motivation...HAY GUYZ, WHATS THE EASIEST WAY TO BECOME A PHARMACIST?!?!?

Taken from a previous post you made
"I was thinking about going to become an RN and my Mom flat out asked me if I wanted to clean up sh**. Seems kind of funny but that is the honest to god truth."

Funny how someone as ignorant as yourself will call me thickheaded. I'm glad you got flamed in that thread for saying all nurses do is clean up sh** though.

insipid1979 said:
OK, let me walk you through this. Step 1, take a deep breath. Step 2, reread my 2 sentence post you quoted. Step 3, realize how everything you just posted is ******ed. Step 4, realize that saying a long drawn out explanation of "minimum criteria set for a school by the Association of Pharmacy Schools" is the same thing as me saying that if it was that easy then is wouldn't be accredited. Step 5, when you are going to call someone else thickheaded for saying the original poster said the school was easy when you claim he never said any such thing...at least take the busy time out of your schedule to read the thread title that says "Easiest pharmacy school to pass...no joke". Step 6, please stop using the word..."ain't".

I hope you can handle all that.

Actually after just realizing you are the guy who made the thread "Which are the easiest pharmacy schools to get into?"...just ignore my reply...you are hopeless...and i sincerely doubt any admissions committee is going to appreciate your lack of commitment or motivation...HAY GUYZ, WHATS THE EASIEST WAY TO BECOME A PHARMACIST?!?!?

Taken from a previous post you made
"I was thinking about going to become an RN and my Mom flat out asked me if I wanted to clean up sh**. Seems kind of funny but that is the honest to god truth."

Funny how someone as ignorant as yourself will call me thickheaded. I'm glad you got flamed in that thread for saying all nurses do is clean up sh** though.

Well I guess you are going to be very very disappointed when most of the prepharmacy students (some got in, some are on their way) at my school are all wanting to take the easiest path to become a pharmacist. Like I said, if you want to get from point A to B by going through points CDEFGHIJKL then be my guest. I would rather just get to point A to B without other points. Ask yourself this, if your school said you already know what it takes to become a pharmacist and can graduate and work now or continue learning for more years would you continue to learn? I'd doubt it. And if you said you will, I doubt it too because now the chance is not there and you will act like you are really dedicated to learning but when the chance is there you would take it in a heartbeat. On another note, Tennisboy is right. Accredidation is just that. Look at undergraduate programs. Would you tell me that Harvard isnt much harder than Wyoming State University. So does this mean WSU is freaken worthless and not a legit institution? Reality is that most people giong into pharmacy like the job but also want the benefits that come with it. They want to work and make money in something they like.

Hey, I just cant help it but to reply to this thread. Just to let you know, I AM a P2 at USN. This guy seems to be honest but unfortunately for me, USN hasn't been quite this easy. I did have to study quite a bit although in the first semester i did slack off a bit also, hehe. As you move on though, you do have to memorize a LOT more things. However, I would say that if you're on top of your stuff, it is pretty relaxing somewhat. I honestly feel that I stressed out a trillion times more in undergrad. Also, in any school anywhere in the world, there would be some that learn faster or quicker than others. I believe belowthemean to be one of the quicker learners so it is possible for him to learn it in minimal time in his first year. Basically, i have some friends who do study less than i do here and pass. A lot of material but one at a time and they have very good memory so it doesnt take them as long. Also guys, unlike undergrad, in pharmacy school, we dont need to know the ins and out of biological systems like you may think. Most of the stuff you learn is fun and very drug oriented. You just memorize a lot of it but it's not like undergrad where you need to know the steps of PCR or Western Blotting or some crazy 20 step reaction. Nope, they keep it very practical and basic, at least here at USN. That's the difference. Here they filter out the stuff they dont think is important and teach you only what you need to know to be able to go out and work. The accredidation committee granted them accredidation so I guess it means they also agree that this is all the things you need to know in order to work. So USN's philosophy is that they rather know the basics really well and keep things simple, than learn a bunch of complex things and be so so at everything but knowing a variety. So in a sense, belowthemean is right that it is easy because we only are taught the basic materials needed to be a pharmacist and are not taught extra misc details and subjects never used on the job.

Personally, my uncle is a pharmacist and when I was at undergrad at ucsd, i asked him to help me on ochem, he didnt know anything. I asked him what is this reaction and that, he didnt know either. Why? Because they never use any of this in the real world job, at least for the area he was working, retail pharmacy. Most of the things he knows are learned ON the JOB and with experience, so in a sense all the extra bookwork is pretty useless. So this is what i believe belowthemean is trying to point out. Also, I did have a lot of free time too but I did study a LOT too. However, there are others that did say it was easy and I hated them but it was the truth. They just got it and can memorize a lot better than i can. So belowthemean, you are truly lucky if you are telling the truth. Good luck to you then but it does get a little harder dude. By the way, I would like to meet you if possible. Message me or something and we can hang out and talk more about this.

I'll try and see if i can get my other fellow students to post their opinions. Hopefully I cleared up some things for you guys. If not, I'll try to ask the other students to. Good luck everyone.

calvinck said:
Well I guess you are going to be very very disappointed when most of the prepharmacy students (some got in, some are on their way) at my school are all wanting to take the easiest path to become a pharmacist. Like I said, if you want to get from point A to B by going through points CDEFGHIJKL then be my guest. I would rather just get to point A to B without other points. Ask yourself this, if your school said you already know what it takes to become a pharmacist and can graduate and work now or continue learning for more years would you continue to learn? I'd doubt it. And if you said you will, I doubt it too because now the chance is not there and you will act like you are really dedicated to learning but when the chance is there you would take it in a heartbeat. On another note, Tennisboy is right. Accredidation is just that. Look at undergraduate programs. Would you tell me that Harvard isnt much harder than Wyoming State University. So does this mean WSU is freaken worthless and not a legit institution? Reality is that most people giong into pharmacy like the job but also want the benefits that come with it. They want to work and make money in something they like.

DO YOU BOTHER TO READ WHAT I POSTED????????????

that is twice now that i said accreditation sets a minimum...if you don't keep the minimum you won't be accredited...you and tennisboy are something else. i never claimed that accreditation says how hard the school is....jesus.

PharmDstage1 said:
I'll try and see if i can get my other fellow students to post their opinions. Hopefully I cleared up some things for you guys. If not, I'll try to ask the other students to. Good luck everyone.

Thanks for posting.

It's true that you don't need to know all the PCR steps, which immunoassay to run, blah blah blah. I'm not sure why I was tested on that in pharmacy school. I know that I will never use it unless I go into research. But, some people do choose research, so it stays in the curriculum. I wish that my school would offer a track for those of us who don't need to learn it.

insipid1979 said:
DO YOU BOTHER TO READ WHAT I POSTED????????????

that is twice now that i said accreditation sets a minimum...if you don't keep the minimum you won't be accredited...you and tennisboy are something else. i never claimed that accreditation says how hard the school is....jesus.

I did read what you posted, but I might have to read between the lines (oh, that is why I'm not majoring in literature). However, it doesn't matter if you did or didn't say it explicitly.

People, the original post by BelowtheMean was supposed to be informative, not 100% accurate. "Easy" is subjective. But for the most part, BelowtheMean has been backed up by his peers at Southern Nevada.

It is great that some people are smart (like the dude I've quoted above), but not everyone has his gift. In the marketplace and in life, we all have choices (whether to go into pharmacy or not and what pharmacy school do I choose).
BelowtheMean may be stating that it is easy and that you don't need to learn a lot of other stuff that the other schools teach, but don't forget his message. His message is intended to inform and possibly persuade people WHO HAVE NOT ALREADY DECIDED WHERE TO GO.

Insipid1979, just going out on a limb here (yeah right) but I doubt that you will be considering Southern Nevada. Good for you, more power to you. You don't think idiots like me know the risks involved in going to an "easy" school? I may be dumb in many departments, but I also try to be rational too (when I can). If this school is accredited and will continue to be accredited (which seems highly likely), I would be dumb to not consider it.

One thing I know is the value of the Pharmacy Degree, and it is more important than anything you learn in school. People without pharmacy degrees may know a million more things about certain drug reactions (this is not to say that RPhs dont have to or want to know these things because most of them do), but if that Pharmacist has the degree and passed all boards, he/she can PRACTICE.

The means are important here, but the ends are more important to some people. Without this end, why would anyone of us go to pharmacy school period?

TennisBoy78 said:
Insipid1979, just going out on a limb here (yeah right) but I doubt that you will be considering Southern Nevada. Good for you, more power to you. You don't think idiots like me know the risks involved in going to an "easy" school? I may be dumb in many departments, but I also try to be rational too (when I can). If this school is accredited and will continue to be accredited (which seems highly likely), I would be dumb to not consider it.

Way to completely disregard the lengthy post I wrote for you. Anyways...what is with this inferiority complex you seem to have? When did I ever say I went to the best elitist school like you alluded to in your other post? I'm not even in pharmacy school yet, and frankly I am surprised I was accepted...so I don't know why you are trying to put words in my mouth like saying "you don't think idiots like me.....". This combined with your "easiest pharmacy school to get into" thread and your constant need to debate everyone on difficulties of school and quality makes me think you have a serious inferiority complex. You shouldn't feel the need to start arguments and defend these "rural state schools" you seem to like to talk about so much in other threads. Noone is trying to belittle you...but you just come off as having an inferiority complex when you have to start arguments about your choices with people who aren't trying to argue. Do yourself a favor and try to get into a pharmacy school that doesn't have you take classes with med school students...otherwise i would feel sorry for them having to have to experience your inferiority complex first hand.

I apologize to the original poster that this is so off topic...and I won't reply to whatever response tennisboy tries to make after he disregards 95% of what i say, because I feel I already derailed this thread enough. One simple question intended for the OP and tennisboy had to jump down my throat. :mad:

LoL We're wayyyyy passed the 12th round. can we call this a draw?

insipid1979 said:
Way to completely disregard the lengthy post I wrote for you. Anyways...what is with this inferiority complex you seem to have? When did I ever say I went to the best elitist school like you alluded to in your other post? I'm not even in pharmacy school yet, and frankly I am surprised I was accepted...so I don't know why you are trying to put words in my mouth like saying "you don't think idiots like me.....". This combined with your "easiest pharmacy school to get into" thread and your constant need to debate everyone on difficulties of school and quality makes me think you have a serious inferiority complex. You shouldn't feel the need to start arguments and defend these "rural state schools" you seem to like to talk about so much in other threads. Noone is trying to belittle you...but you just come off as having an inferiority complex when you have to start arguments about your choices with people who aren't trying to argue. Do yourself a favor and try to get into a pharmacy school that doesn't have you take classes with med school students...otherwise i would feel sorry for them having to have to experience your inferiority complex first hand.

I apologize to the original poster that this is so off topic...and I won't reply to whatever response tennisboy tries to make after he disregards 95% of what i say, because I feel I already derailed this thread enough. One simple question intended for the OP and tennisboy had to jump down my throat. :mad:

One thing I can say is that you are spot on, yes I do have an inferiority complex. I am by far not the smartest person here, but I do have a better GPA than many people on here (although I can use most, I am not going to). I think that school is very tough and nothing should be taken for granted, and if I were dealt just a slightly different set of cards, I could be in a mell of a hess. Pharmacy schools don't owe me squat, so I will be very thankful if I am accepted anywhere.

I'm looking for 2007 admissions so I have not yet applied anywhere and this forum (internet site) has been very informative. Honestly, I know there are Harvards of Pharmacy School and ones not even close.

Look, getting a Pharmacy Degree writes your ticket. Some professions, like law lets say, is contingent on where you go to school. Someone with a Law Degree from Georgetown, NYU, or Ivy League pretty much has any job they want, whereas someone from University of the Timbucktu will have a much tougher time once they get out of Law School. Pharmacy is not this type of degree. Every graduate (maybe with few few exceptions) is on an equal playing field after graduation. There is a shortage of pharmacists, bottom line. For someone not to find a job, they would literally have to not to want to work. However, there will never be a shortage of lawyers.

BelowtheMean realizes this, and he was just trying to help promote his school for having a different type of policy than traditional pharmacy schools. I applaud him for his notice.

Good luck to all in the Pharmacy School of your choice.

TennisBoy78 said:
One thing I can say is that you are spot on, yes I do have an inferiority complex. I am by far not the smartest person here, but I do have a better GPA than many people on here (although I can use most, I am not going to). I think that school is very tough and nothing should be taken for granted, and if I were dealt just a slightly different set of cards, I could be in a mell of a hess. Pharmacy schools don't owe me squat, so I will be very thankful if I am accepted anywhere.

I'm looking for 2007 admissions so I have not yet applied anywhere and this forum (internet site) has been very informative. Honestly, I know there are Harvards of Pharmacy School and ones not even close.

Look, getting a Pharmacy Degree writes your ticket. Some professions, like law lets say, is contingent on where you go to school. Someone with a Law Degree from Georgetown, NYU, or Ivy League pretty much has any job they want, whereas someone from University of the Timbucktu will have a much tougher time once they get out of Law School. Pharmacy is not this type of degree. Every graduate (maybe with few few exceptions) is on an equal playing field after graduation. There is a shortage of pharmacists, bottom line. For someone not to find a job, they would literally have to not to want to work. However, there will never be a shortage of lawyers.

BelowtheMean realizes this, and he was just trying to help promote his school for having a different type of policy than traditional pharmacy schools. I applaud him for his notice.

Good luck to all in the Pharmacy School of your choice.

I gotta say you are right on target.