Diversity in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateKiss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the thread about UPenn and the argument about the lack of diversity at Penn compared to other top 20 schools (ie, racial, non-trads, etc). I was wondering which top 20 schools have a reputation for being diverse and which have a rep for being not-so-diverse. I didn't really see a difference in terms of the students I met on my interviews, and all schools say that they are diverse, so I was hoping to get some insight from all of you.

The only school that really stuck out to me as having a diverse class at my interviews was Stanford.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

cornell and yale are known for known for being "diverse"

Members don't see this ad :)
Do these schools make a special effort to acheive diverse classes?

I heard JHU does.

Rafa said:

I heard JHU does.

I know that JHU definitely does, for their grad and med schools.

And I would also like to plug Michigan, but you would already know about thier views on diversity especially following the supreme court case and all.

you really have to go to these places AND spend time at them to get a feel for the diversity (among other things).

Rafa said:

I heard JHU does.

www.MDApplicants.com has (I assume its still on there) a guy from Africa who had a 3.01 GPA and a 31 MCAT getting into Harvard. I'd say thats making a special effort.

Ashanti Rock said:
I know that JHU definitely does, for their grad and med schools.

And I would also like to plug Michigan, but you would already know about thier views on diversity especially following the supreme court case and all.

I haven't heard of the supreme court case in Michigan and am interested, could you post a link or name of case? :oops:

Dr. Roket said:
I haven't heard of the supreme court case in Michigan and am interested, could you post a link or name of case? :oops:
Bollinger versus something or other. It was 2 years ago and upheld that diversity is a valid "public interest," allowing schools to consider race in application decisions. I'm a white guy who's actually not exactly for race-based AA - prefer socio-economic, but the case was basically a whinny white girl who didn't get into UM law school, and claimed it was because she was white. Kind of annoying. Another fall out point, however, was that the supreme disallowed a points based affirmative action system (originally U of M had given 20 "points" for being an U.R.M., versus 10 for a good GPA, to give you scale). It definitely divided the campus, and AA continues to divide the nation today...

You know, I'm gonna stop renting and go out and buy one of these things.

Suit1.jpg

i don't think that true diversity is something you can 'see' immediately on interviews. i have a serious problem with the notion of 'diversity' as having a lot of students of underrepresented race or gender. until i started applying for schools, i always thought 'diversity' would mean that people had a lot of different experiences/personalities and could thus contribute a lot of different things to a class. if people with different experiences happen to be from a lot of different races and divided equally between the genders, that's awesome too. i just don't think that should be a quick-and-easy way for you to assess diversity of a school.