Match day letdowns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyched

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here also have a huge letdown on match day? In other words, received extremely positive post interview feedback and then didn't match at the program. My rank list/feedback was as follows:

#1 University of Washington-received Honors at audition elective, wrote e-mail to PD letting her know I was ranking them number 1. Was then told that she was delighted to hear I am ranking them number 1, I'm an excellent fit for the program, and they'd be delighted if I match at UW. :mad:

#2 OHSU-received handwritten note from PD that I bring an impressive lists of talents, experiences, skills to the field and that they'd be delighted if I join the program :mad:

#3 San Mateo-was told that the residency committee after their first selection committee in January, was very interested in my application and impressed by my fit with the program. :(

#4 UCSD

#5 University of Colorado-was told that I'll be ranked very highly and actually was! :thumbup:

So I matched at my number 5 choice, but I think my brain did a 180 degree turn when I opened that envelope. :eek: I even went straight to the library to make sure that I didn't have a typo on NRMP. I'll be happy at UC but feel so misled and disappointed by my top 3 choices, which I've been psyching myself up for.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Psyched,

Im really sorry about your story. However - I know that those are some really strong programs you had listed there 1-4!! Perhaps you were really high and they didn't go as deep as they usually have in the past? My match told me it was the first year they ever had every single one of their top picks - so I'm honestly thinking this year was a bit more competitive than other years.

I hope you'll like your new program, and at least you can know they really wanted you too! :)

ETA: COLORADO ROCKS!!!!!!!!

psyched said:
Did anyone here also have a huge letdown on match day? In other words, received extremely positive post interview feedback and then didn't match at the program. My rank list/feedback was as follows:

#1 University of Washington-received Honors at audition elective, wrote e-mail to PD letting her know I was ranking them number 1. Was then told that she was delighted to hear I am ranking them number 1, I'm an excellent fit for the program, and they'd be delighted if I match at UW. :mad:

#2 OHSU-received handwritten note from PD that I bring an impressive lists of talents, experiences, skills to the field and that they'd be delighted if I join the program :mad:

#3 San Mateo-was told that the residency committee after their first selection committee in January, was very interested in my application and impressed by my fit with the program. :(

#4 UCSD

#5 University of Colorado-was told that I'll be ranked very highly and actually was! :thumbup:

So I matched at my number 5 choice, but I think my brain did a 180 degree turn when I opened that envelope. :eek: I even went straight to the library to make sure that I didn't have a typo on NRMP. I'll be happy at UC but feel so misled and disappointed by my top 3 choices, which I've been psyching myself up for.
Future applicants should realize that PDs will say what they have to to keep evryone on board.No one needs to or should say where exactly they are ranking a program.Sounds like you got a great match anyway,congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to both of you for your kind words! Now that I'm getting over the shock, my vision is improving. I'm sure I'll be happy at University of Colorado, which is an excellent program in a beautiful city.
I just wish program directors didn't feel the need to coax people to be on board. Their feedback had no bearing on my rank list, only my expectations on match day. And Poety, you're probably right that they didn't reach as deep into their lists on match day. Competitive year for psych, but that means we will have intellectual colleagues in the future.

psyched, my brain also did a 180 on Match Day. My top 2 programs had courted me heavily and I had psyched myself up to go to either of them. I ended up matching at a really wonderful program, but I was too shocked initially to appreciate how fortunate I was. I am feeling much better about it now! :D

You matched into an excellent program, by the way. I hope you feel better, and congratulations!!! :)

The PD emailed me a couple weeks before the rank list was submitted and stated how well their program and I would work together and that I would be a great match for them. I wrote back saying that I'm ranking them very highly and would love to be there as well. She replied back saying that she is really looking forward to match day.
Needless to say, I didn't match there.
HOW RUDE WAS THAT??
I'm very upset, in fact I was amazed on match day. I still got into a triple baord program, but i'm just amazed at how PD's can be so full of BS.

any similar experiences? I did in fact write to her and am awaiting her response. I think it's only fair if programs get to ask us why we didn't choose them, then we should be able to ask programs too, especially if they led us on!!

me4peds said:
The PD emailed me a couple weeks before the rank list was submitted and stated how well their program and I would work together and that I would be a great match for them. I wrote back saying that I'm ranking them very highly and would love to be there as well. She replied back saying that she is really looking forward to match day.
Needless to say, I didn't match there.
HOW RUDE WAS THAT??
I'm very upset, in fact I was amazed on match day. I still got into a triple baord program, but i'm just amazed at how PD's can be so full of BS.

any similar experiences? I did in fact write to her and am awaiting her response. I think it's only fair if programs get to ask us why we didn't choose them, then we should be able to ask programs too, especially if they led us on!!

I think it is certainly reasonable for you to ask the PD what happened. At the same time, however, I don't think that PDs are being disingenuous. For example, I let the top few programs on my list know that I was ranking them highly and that I would be very happy to match there. That was entirely true- I would have been happy at any of them. Similarly, if a program has say 10 spots, they aren't going to only be nice to the top 10 on their rank list. Now, if that hypothetical program had said, "You are ranked in our top 10 and are guaranteed to match," then that's another story. The triple board programs are really small. Maybe you were ranked #3 and they got their top 2 for their 2 spots. In any case, congratulations on getting into a triple board program! Remember, there are many who wish they were in your shoes.

P

Unfortunately it's a knife that cuts both ways. Applicants often mislead programs as well. Everyone is trying to maximize their chances of matching (for applicant) or filling high on rank list (for programs). It is par for the course.

I am sorry to hear you did not get your first choice, psyched. However, you ranked some great programs and Colorado is excellent with a great location. I'm sure you're going to be quite happy with the outcome. Remember, training is what you make of it.

psyched said:

y o. I also got misled by San Mateo. :mad: "As long as you want to come here, we'd love to have you. It's up to you." :confused:

humanly said:
y o. I also got misled by San Mateo. :mad: "As long as you want to come here, we'd love to have you. It's up to you." :confused:

OUCH! One would think that psychiatrists, of all specialties, would be mindful of our feelings. So sorry that you were misled, if not lied to, by San Mateo! Hopefully you matched to a good, honest(!) program.

This thread has been therapeutic. I also hope next year's applicants will benefit from it.