Downstate or NYMC-- The big May 15th Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waitlistking

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on SUNY Downstate vs. New York Medical College? Is one school considered more prestigious than another? What are the strong points academically of one school vs. another?Tuition at Downstate is obviously a major factor, but if I wanted to make a decision based on prestige of the school alone, anyone have any insight??

Members don't see this ad.

waitlistking said:
Anyone have an opinion on SUNY Downstate vs. New York Medical College? Is one school considered more prestigious than another? What are the strong points academically of one school vs. another?Tuition at Downstate is obviously a major factor, but if I wanted to make a decision based on prestige of the school alone, anyone have any insight??

NYMC is prettier(physically), but Downstate is cheaper and has a very good match list. There is no "bad" choice, but if I had the two acceptences in hand, I would choose downstate.

waitlistking said:
In your situation, I would pick SUNY Downstate without a doubt. Student's clinical experience there is superb and you'll benefit from a great match list. I'll agree that NYMC is prettier, Downstate being on the ghetto side, but you'll be in shouting distance from NYC and all it has to offer. As far as prestige, Downstate is more prestigious. Downstate is a solid school that you can't beat for the price. Congrats. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
lropp said:
In your situation, I would pick SUNY Downstate without a doubt. Student's clinical experience there is superb and you'll benefit from a great match list. I'll agree that NYMC is prettier, Downstate being on the ghetto side, but you'll be in shouting distance from NYC and all it has to offer.

NYMC may have a prettier campus than Downstate, but there are some really nice parts of Brooklyn just a 10 minute subway ride away. Don't let the ghetto-ness of Downstate deter you. The Downstate students who don't live in the dorm live in Park Slope which is a very nice, family friendly neighborhood with a lot to offer. I live there now and I am really sad that I will have to leave for medical school (I didnt get into Downstate). Prospect Park is right there; there are a lot of good restaurants and bars; there is plenty of cool boutiques if thats your sort of thing; and Park Slope is the home of the countries biggest Food Coop - a good place to get cheap produce and health food. And the best part is that there are a number of different subway lines that criss cross the neighborhood. You can be in any part of Manhattan very quickly.

And yes, my impression is that Downstate has a better reputation.

You have to also ask yourself what it means for a school to have "more prestige" and how that ultimately translates to professional prospects for its students. "Prestige" in itself is an abstract idea that doesn't hold much practical value, in my opinion. Further, there are things about the schools themselves (clinical experience, educational style, etc.) that are important to consider -- have you already done so?

I can't speak to Downstate at all, though I know a few NYMC students who chose NYMC over Downstate because they liked the environment better, and who are not unhappy with their decision. As far as NYMC goes, this year's matchlist is excellent, so it should certainly tell you that attending NYMC isn't going to hold you back if you work hard and do well.

Congrats on your acceptances and good luck with your decision. :thumbup:

wow, tough choice. for me, at least, it would come down to tuition. i interviewed at both schools and like both a lot. in my opinion, nymc had nicer facilities and a better location while i thought downstate had a better curriculum and the students didn't seem as stressed or competitive. i think i would choose downstate because the tuition is so much less. and, that's not to say i'd pick any suny over nymc. i also interviewed at suny upstate and i think, despite the tuition break, i'd have a hard time choosing it over nymc. so, obviously, i'm all for going with where you think you'll be happiest, etc. in my mind, though, it would be a toss-up between the two. so, i'd go with tuition. those are just my own opinions. best of luck and congrats on having some wonderful choices.

medstylee said:
wow, tough choice. for me, at least, it would come down to tuition. i interviewed at both schools and like both a lot. in my opinion, nymc had nicer facilities and a better location while i thought downstate had a better curriculum and the students didn't seem as stressed or competitive. i think i would choose downstate because the tuition is so much less. and, that's not to say i'd pick any suny over nymc. i also interviewed at suny upstate and i think, despite the tuition break, i'd have a hard time choosing it over nymc. so, obviously, i'm all for going with where you think you'll be happiest, etc. in my mind, though, it would be a toss-up between the two. so, i'd go with tuition. those are just my own opinions. best of luck and congrats on having some wonderful choices.

Why didnt you like upstate, just curious?

BOBODR said:
Why didnt you like upstate, just curious?

syracuse. just... can't... do it...

don't get me wrong, the school is good - i liked their curriculum and their really supportive advisory network they have. but, i just can't live in a place like syracuse for 4 years, not at this time in my life. (note: i'm not bashing syracuse, for those who are from that city. it's just not for me, a personal preference)

I'm trying to make the same decision right now. I'm instate and can't decide between downstate and NYMC... I love NYC and downstate is right next to manhattan. Also this is probably wierd, but I loved how everyone got their own carrell's (sp?), I like to study at odd hours and in cubicles and I'm pretty sure they were open 24/7. But NYMC did have amazing facilaties and the the faculty there seems to really support their students. Their match this year was really good too. Does anyone know how the faculty is at Downstate? Also, what school has better opportunities for research (especially rad. and ortho)?

With NYMC, I liked how you could do your entire 3/4 years in NYC. It seemed like at downstate your 3/4 years were more concentrated in queens/brooklyn.

I'm waitlisted at Temple, and thought thats were i wanted to go. But I feel like im leaning more towards either NYMC or downstate. Anyone have thoughts on Temple vs. Downstate vs. NYMC???

i got interviewed at both these places. My feelings are that NYMC is not worth the additional 200,000 $ in tuition after 4 years. You got a good deal in downstate buddy

maver1ck84 said:
i got interviewed at both these places. My feelings are that NYMC is not worth the additional 200,000 $ in tuition after 4 years. You got a good deal in downstate buddy

What a bunch of crap that was.

NYMC - 58,000 a yr total.
SUNY DOWN - 41,000 total for in state
17,000 * 4 = 68,000. difference. Even if you include interest and make it 75000 difference thats alot different than the 200 000 more figure u just gave.

Edit: Actually I just looked up Downstate's tuition. Here it is
Resident Non-Resident Living with
Budget Items On Campus
Tuition & Fees $19,205
Books & Supplies $2,902 $
Room & Board $13,620
Miscellaneous* $7,240
Travel $2,326
Total $45,293

So NYMC's total for all the same stuff is 58,000. A total difference of 13,000 . Times 4 = 52,000.00 (not small change but not mortgage size of 200000 either)

Yeah, the price difference is noticable but it isnt that much compared to how much you are going to be paying for med school...

52k after loans is more like 75-80k, if not more, equal to about 2 years your salary as a resident, which is when you will be paying off your loans.

I'm a first year at NYMC and I am really happy. PM me if you have any specific questions.

I know people are bringing up Downstate's match list, but I'd encourage you to take a look at NYMC's as well. We consistently have a solid match list.

Just my $0.02. When it comes to prestige, it probably only matters if your school is in, I'd say the top 10, maybe top 20 in the U.S News. Before people start throwing rocks my way, the OP is, afterall, talking about prestige. If this even matters in another thread by itself. The two schools are comparable but I'd choose DS because of the tuition. Tuition should not be a big factor in the decision making process unless the two schools are very similar and you liked them both as in this case. Two of DS main teaching hospitals are in Manhattan - Lennox Hill and St. Vincent. I know of a few people that are doing most of their rotations at these two hospitals. I'm also biased because I'm thinking about going to Downstate. I know people seem to think NYMC is prettier. You should go to DS, take out the extra $13,000 every year that you would have taken out if you went to NYMC and have a blast during med school. :D

LowlyPremed said:
Just my $0.02. When it comes to prestige, it probably only matters if your school is in, I'd say the top 10, maybe top 20 in the U.S News. Before people start throwing rocks my way, the OP is, afterall, talking about prestige. If this even matters in another thread by itself. The two schools are comparable but I'd choose DS because of the tuition. Tuition should not be a big factor in the decision making process unless the two schools are very similar and you liked them both as in this case. Two of DS main teaching hospitals are in Manhattan - Lennox Hill and St. Vincent. I know of a few people that are doing most of their rotations at these two hospitals. I'm also biased because I'm thinking about going to Downstate. I know people seem to think NYMC is prettier. You should go to DS, take out the extra $13,000 every year that you would have taken out if you went to NYMC and have a blast during med school. :D

Isnt St. Vincents NYMC's turf?

BOBODR said:

I know that the downtown Vinny's is definitely an NYMC teaching facility. NYMC also has Met - which is on the Upper East Side.

There is, however, a midtown facility. It's possible that DS has a relationship there, but I really don't know.

BOBODR said:

there are a few st. vincents in new york, the one NYMC is affiliated with is in manhattan, in the village. the one for downstate is st. vincent's staten island (a little less cool, to say the least).

wendywellesley said:
there are a few st. vincents in new york, the one NYMC is affiliated with is in manhattan, in the village. the one for downstate is st. vincent's staten island (a little less cool, to say the least).

i'm pretty sure we get staten island too.... and bridgeport.... there's one more that's called St. vincent westchester (used to be called something else...) it's a little late....