NBEO Exam Results by School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squint

Squint
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I find the U.S. exam results by U.S. optometry school ? I found a Canadian site that has them for the Canadian Board exams but can't seem to find one for the U.S. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you'll find national average pass rate, but you won't find it listed by school. Generally, the schools dont' publish that information.

cpw said:
you'll find national average pass rate, but you won't find it listed by school. Generally, the schools dont' publish that information.

Yes, I can see why. I found the stats below from the interview thread.

Last year's Boards Passing Rate for Board I
SUNY - 96%
ICO - 92%
SCO - 92%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%
Feel free to add to this #

National avg - 72%

Members don't see this ad :)
Do these numbers take into account repeat takers, or are they only reporting first timers. Also, How can you have a national pass rate of ~72% if almost every school is reporting a pass rate well above that????

ddown said:
Do these numbers take into account repeat takers, or are they only reporting first timers. Also, How can you have a national pass rate of ~72% if almost every school is reporting a pass rate well above that????

SCO reports first time scores. I know some schools group the retakers with the first time takers but I don't know which ones.

Squint said:

SUNY - 96%
ICO - 92%
SCO - 92%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

National avg - 72%

Those are wrong. For example, ICO's is listed at 80% Part I on the ICO website. Unfortunately there's a lot of false informatino going around. http://www.ico.edu/ico3/generalinformation/faq.html

Basic Science Examination (Part I)
ICO National
Year %pass %pass
2005 80% 72%
2004 72% 67%

Clinical Science Examination (Part II)
ICO National
Year %pass %pass
2001 91% 75%
2000 95% 92%
1999 89.0% 85.0%
1998 96.1% 90.0%

Patient Care Examination (Part III)
ICO National
Year %pass %pass
2005 95% 93%

Squint said:

SUNY - 96%
ICO - 92%
SCO - 92%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

National avg - 72%

that's awesome! i like how you organized the passing rates from highest to lowest...

we're missing IAUPR (puerto rico!) - can we guess where that will fall?

Squint said:

SUNY - 96%
ICO - 92%
SCO - 92%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

National avg - 72%

IU was 90% last year.

I don't know the exact number for UHCO, but they usually hover right around 90% for part 1.

SCO put up a graph of all the schools at SECO (southeastern optometry convention thing). Some of the schools looked rather abysmal. Apparently this is really guarded information that should be easier to find. For the student, apparently the only way to get this information is from brochures, asking the admissions office directly, or if you're lucky, maybe the school website.

stevec said:
SCO put up a graph of all the schools at SECO (southeastern optometry convention thing). Some of the schools looked rather abysmal. Apparently this is really guarded information that should be easier to find. For the student, apparently the only way to get this information is from brochures, asking the admissions office directly, or if you're lucky, maybe the school website.

do you remember which schools were on the bottom? (bottom 2?)

SUNY - 96%
SCO - 92%
IU – 90%
UHCO – 90%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
ICO - 80%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

National avg - 72%

The above is intended to represent the results of students writing Part I for the first time. Please post any corrections or additions that you are aware of.

The question should be "Why does the NBEO keep the scores such a secret?" Shouldn't the undergraduate students know what they are getting themselves into before they apply? Why is the NBEO protecting those schools with low scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Opii said:
The question should be "Why does the NBEO keep the scores such a secret?" Shouldn't the undergraduate students know what they are getting themselves into before they apply? Why is the NBEO protecting those schools with low scores?
If you call those schools and specifically ask, they'll probably tell you. There's probably no other way.

How can we know we are getting the truth in a phone call? It seems that alot of schools claim to have the top score.

I don't think y'all need to worry so much about a school's pass rate. If you put in the time and effort you'll pass. If you fail the first time you'll pass the second. Every school, in order to maintain accreditation, has to teach the same stuff.

xmattODx said:
I don't think y'all need to worry so much about a school's pass rate. If you put in the time and effort you'll pass. If you fail the first time you'll pass the second. Every school, in order to maintain accreditation, has to teach the same stuff.

well said!

xmattODx said:

Exactly. IU's pass rate this year was 90%. Last year it was in the 60% range. Does that mean the school did a lousy job last year and then suddenly improved this year? No. It means the professors spent extra time scaring the hell out of us so we would study for the thing. Pass rates are all about the students, not the school.

.... there is something fishy going on.

when i took it (part one in 2000) i dont recall many of us studying. i recall very few who didnt pass. i dont know how you could fail boards and not have already failed out of optometry school. i think of those who failed out of OD school, most of them could have passed boards. maybe it was easier in those days.

For what it is worth, Pacific says that this past year the pass rate was around 92-94% and they had the top score as well. I agree with the comment that your education is what you make of it.

Revised list

SUNY - 96%
Pacific - 92%
SCO - 92%
IU – 90%
UHCO – 90%
SCCO - 89%
ICO - 80%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

National avg - 72%

The above is intended to represent the results of students writing Part I for the first time. Please post any corrections or additions that you are aware of.

drgregory said:
when i took it (part one in 2000) i dont recall many of us studying. i recall very few who didnt pass. i dont know how you could fail boards and not have already failed out of optometry school. i think of those who failed out of OD school, most of them could have passed boards. maybe it was easier in those days.

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of anyone now that doesn't study some for boards. They must be a lot different.

drgregory said:

I studied quite a bit just because I wanted to make damn sure I was going to pass on the first try. I wasn't about to spend $600+ on a test and fail it. As it turns out I could have studied a lot less and still passed, but I wasn't going to risk it.

sco1styear said:
I'm pretty sure I've never heard of anyone now that doesn't study some for boards. They must be a lot different.

"Not" studying is a subjective term. For some saying I didn't study means they didn't study as much as some of their classmates. I studied but only for a couple of weeks and in the middle of those weeks I went to a four day music festival. The key to passing boards is to pay attention in school and more importantly, relax!

Last year the results posted on Student Doctor were as below. What are the scores for this year? Please respond with any information you have on your school.

2005 Boards Passing Rate for Board I

SUNY - 96%
Pacific - 92%
SCO - 92%
IU – 90%
UHCO – 90%
SCCO - 89%
ICO - 80%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

National avg - 72%

Boards Passing Rate for Board I
NBEO August 2006

SUNY -
Pacific -
SCO - 98%
IU –
UHCO –
SCCO -
ICO -
PCO -
NECO -

National avg - 77%

If you are going by first time pass rates (like for SCO), then you should list the first time pass rate for the national average. According to the NBEO website, this year it was 86%.

Ok, good idea. Here it is amended. Anyone from these schools out there know the pass rates??

2006 Boards First Time Passing Rate for Board I

SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
SCO - 98%
IU – xx%
UHCO – xx%
SCCO - xx%
ICO - xx%
PCO - xx%
NECO - xx%

National avg - 86% (first time pass rate)

The above is intended to represent the results of students writing Part I for the first time. Please post any corrections or additions of which you are aware.

Anyone out there know how NECO did on NBEO Part I this year ??

My friend is a 1st year at IU and he said that they have completely changed everything this year. ie... cirriculum, grade can't be below a C- for any class, more independant study... and the list goes on. That seems a little tough. Anyone else at IU see any changes? Also, he said they take the boards during the spring now, not in Aug. like before which doesn't give them anytime to study since they have just completed their finals. WOW!!! This doesn't sound like improvement to me!!!!!!

My friend is a 1st year at IU and he said that they have completely changed everything this year. ie... cirriculum, grade can't be below a C- for any class, more independant study... and the list goes on. That seems a little tough. Anyone else at IU see any changes? Also, he said they take the boards during the spring now, not in Aug. like before which doesn't give them anytime to study since they have just completed their finals. WOW!!! This doesn't sound like improvement to me!!!!!!

Everyone will be taking the boards in the spring from now on.

From what I heard, the cirriculum is better now that they've changed it. What about it seems tough? The C- requirement? I like that change. I think it's BS that people can get a D in a class and not have to retake it.

I do agree with you, but my friend feels that since there are so many changes so quickly that they will suffer. We can still get a D,(At Nova) do I agree, I guess it all comes down to passing the boards. If you know the material, why not?

Great, so what was Nova NBEO - Part I pass rate? We need to find these stats out to choose between the schools after interviews. Anyone else know the NBEO Part I pass rate for their school?

SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
SCO - 98%
IU – xx%
UHCO – xx%
SCCO - xx%
ICO - xx%
PCO - xx%
NECO - xx%

The above is intended to represent the results of students writing Part I for the first time. Please post any corrections or additions of which you are aware.

perhaps the whole "first time pass rate" thing is keeping other schools from posting their scores...? So if it is not a score of just the first time takers, just specify that beside your schools score.

Yes, that information is better than no information. Below is a revised list.

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
IU – xx%
UHCO – xx%
SCCO - xx%
ICO - xx%
PCO - xx%
NECO - xx%

SCCO's data obtained from the SA board minutes:

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
IU – xx%
UHCO – xx%
SCCO - 82%
ICO - xx%
PCO - xx%
NECO - xx%

The schools really have to release this information individually? It's really not fair. This information should be public information and easy to find. I remember seeing a bar graph at an SCO party at SECO last year, and it is the only time I've ever seen the passage rates for all of the schools at once. It seems to me like a prospective student should be able to find this stuff in a few clicks really, but the fact is that most students will probably never see it because it's such a secret.

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
SCCO - 82%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
IU – xx%
UHCO – xx%
ICO - xx%
PCO - xx%
NECO - xx%

UAB - 94%
SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
SCCO - 82%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
IU – xx%
UHCO – xx%
ICO - xx%
PCO - xx%
NECO - xx%

one thing about pass rates for prospective students, some schools are smaller then others so a school like scco which has more population is more liekly to have someone not pass. in addition for small schools, one person not passing can lower the percentage considerably.

every school teaches you the tools you need to pass, whether you pass or not is up to your individual effort

one thing about pass rates for prospective students, some schools are smaller then others so a school like scco which has more population is more liekly to have someone not pass. in addition for small schools, one person not passing can lower the percentage considerably.

every school teaches you the tools you need to pass, whether you pass or not is up to your individual effort

RE: "more liekly to have someone not pass" - probablity should be the same - not greater or lesser. True in a small class - say Berkeley with 63 students - each individual failure brings down the % pass rate by approximately 1.6% versus .6% in a big class like PCO. The math doesn't excuse any poor results though.

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
UAB – 94%
SCCO - 82%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
IU – xx%
UHCO – xx%
ICO - xx%
PCO - xx%
NECO - xx%

Thanks. The revised standing are as follows:

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
UAB – 94%
SCCO - 82%
IU – 80%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
UHCO – xx%
ICO - xx%
PCO - xx%
NECO - xx%

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
UAB – 94%
PCO - 87.5% (had the two highest scores in the nation)
SCCO - 82%
IU – 80%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
UHCO – xx%
ICO - xx%

NECO - xx%

The above is intended to represent the results of students writing Part I for the first time. Please post any corrections or additions of which you are aware.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know how NECO did last year?

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
UAB – 94%
PCO - 87.5% (had the two highest scores in the nation)
SCCO - 82%
IU – 80%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
UHCO – xx%
ICO - 85%

NECO - xx%

[/QUOTE]

extrapolated the following info from a graph presented during board reviews today:
1st Time Pass Statistics

2006:
85% ICO students
86% all test takers
**pass rate of all those sitting NBEO, including those sitting a second or third time was 77%

2005:
80% ICO students
76% all test takers
**pass rate of all those sitting NBEO, including those sitting a second or third time was 72%