colorblindness - an obstacle for path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariwax

Pocketful of DNR's
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it might sound odd, but I have an unusual strain of colorblindness which made it difficult to distinguish the blue from the purple - or whatever it was - when I would examine an H&E in my histology classes. Would that pose a considerable obstacle when examining slides as a practicing pathologist?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a color blind pathologist who is both brilliant at his work and very successful, he works in a complex and demanding environment. He orders some unusual stains occasionally that helps him visualize certain specimens more effectively. I do not think it is a major obstacle.

We have a red/green color blind resident in our program, who is awesome. It doesn't seem to phase him at all. In fact, I thought he was pulling my leg when he told me. I've even heard stories of a completely colorblind pathologist (ie everything is shades of gray) who was successful.

What's behind your eyes is more important than the makeup of your retinal cones.

-mrp

pathdoc68 said:
I know a color blind pathologist who is both brilliant at his work and very successful, he works in a complex and demanding environment. He orders some unusual stains occasionally that helps him visualize certain specimens more effectively. I do not think it is a major obstacle.

One of the dermpath folks in our program is colorblind and does just fine. Ironically, he gave the dermpath fellow some flak for not identifying a certain color under the scope!