Digital Path job got an “Incredible Volume of Responses”

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
“It’s XXXXX, Director of Pathology Services at XXXXXXX.

I appreciate your response to our advertisement for GI pathologist position.

Due to the incredible volume of responses, it might take me a bit to respond. I appreciate your patience.”

Guys, there is no shortage of pathologists in this country looking for work. Digital pathology WILL have a negative impact on the pathology job market. Mark my words. Get a solid job while you can. I’m being serious.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Digital won’t put us all out of business.
Just the ones who don’t adapt / fail to embrace it. Nimble labs will be just fine.

Lol. That’s the 1 and only remote job on path outlines.

Members don't see this ad :)
See in a couple of years it will be who wants $5 for a GI specimen. Tons of pathologists will respond. Digital pathology is going to make GI docs a ton of money. Almost all of the pathology professional component will go to them. Great future!! Nobody cares where you trained. How cheap will you work? and a ton of pathologists will work for very cheap!

Pathology is the worst choice a med student can make.

Reactions: 1 user
Amongst the various pros and cons, this is probably a pro for the large scale employed model. Almost all of our GIs, surgeons, etc are also employed by the health system so it's not like they can send their specimens elsewhere. However, if average salary/reimbursement goes down it doesn't help us with metrics when trying to justify maintaining/increasing our pay.

The biggest impact will be paths approaching retirement age hanging on a few more years doing remote part time work using digital for the groups that are early adopters.

These groups will have the advantage of flexibility with hiring new grads / pushing off new hires further into the future or not hiring at all if a reliable stash of part timers are more easily onboarded using digital.

Reactions: 1 user
The biggest impact will be paths approaching retirement age hanging on a few more years doing remote part time work using digital for the groups that are early adopters.

These groups will have the advantage of flexibility with hiring new grads / pushing off new hires further into the future or not hiring at all if a reliable stash of part timers are more easily onboarded using digital.
Plenty of pathologists old and young hungry to make money.

I am a US-trained pathologist based in Canada. I have maintained my medical license and American board credentialing. Can I practice remotely for a US lab (I don't have a work-authorization/H1b status in the US)? Other professionals work from home for US-based companies while they are in Canada. How is my situation different?