What is the best tablet available for $1500-$1600?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inflamesdjk02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at some online retailers ... but alot of the websites don't list all of the specs and I am sort of worried about what kind of service I would get. Any thoughts? From what I could tell, Acer and IBM/Lenovo seemed to have the best tablet PCs.

Members don't see this ad.

From what i hear the best tablets usually come from Toshiba, You should google tablet PC review sites i know there is at least 2 of them, i don't remember what they are but those are what i was reading when i was researching buying a tablet a few months ago.

Not sure if it's the best, but I really like my Toshiba R15 tablet/notebook convertible. It's a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, though. It's a little too big to be a great tablet. It's a little too small to be a great notebook. For me, the versatility is what I wanted. Fujitsu makes a great slate if you're shooting for a straight-up tablet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the first generation Toshiba Portege 3505. I've had it for over three years now, and its been really great. Probably the only thing bad is that they made the screen cover a little thin, so you can see some darkening of the pixels where you press the most with the pen, but besides that its been perfect. I'm not sure what the latest thing is from Toshiba, but I'm sure thats what I will get when this thing dies.

inflamesdjk02 said:
I was looking at some online retailers ... but alot of the websites don't list all of the specs and I am sort of worried about what kind of service I would get. Any thoughts? From what I could tell, Acer and IBM/Lenovo seemed to have the best tablet PCs.

I've had the Thinkpad X41 Tablet for about 8 months now and I absolutely love it. Customer service and support for their laptops is fantastic, and the product is top notch. If you're planning to use the tablet to take notes, make sure to get it a bit before school as it does take some getting used to. I'd also recommend checking out Mindjet MindManager for notetaking, outlining, and brainstorming.

inflamesdjk02 said:

Also check out Toshiba. They recently released their new Duo core M400 tablet. http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?coid=-30603

you should definitely check these two sites for more tablet users feedback.
Student Tablet PC
TabletPC Buzz

www.cnet.com my friend. It is the best place to find reviews, best prices, all the info you could want.

agreed about cnet for reviews. They are usually a little tougher judges on stuff. Also read the user reviews..mainly the bad ones (some are idiotic but some are good)...bad reviews are the best way to figure out if there is a somewhat consistent problem though.

With CNET, beware the partiality of the reviewers. They are extremely prone to LOVING the products that either:
A. Are the new big thing with tons of useless features
B. Are REDICULOUSLY expensive

But that doesn't mean it is a useless resource. They have very professional reviews of just about everything released going back a long time, and can provide information about the newest and biggest things in notebook PCs. There are lots of good notebook review forums out there (try google) that can comment on both notebooks and tablets alike.

As always, don't forget to check out www.techbargains.com and other similar sites for good hardware discounts. Plus, if your into customization, you can by some of your stuff (such as memory, for example) from a site like www.newegg.com and get it way cheaper than from if you upgrade directly through IBM, Toshiba, or Dell when ordering your tablet.

Gateway makes a tablet notebook as well. I was thinking about getting it if I get in off the waitlist at my school.