Any Hoosier Premeds in this forum???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EddieIndy

Cardiology Fellow
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I struggle to find anything even remotely related to Indiana in this forum :eek:
If you're from the Hoosier state make your voice heard!!!

Members don't see this ad.

EddieIndy said:
I struggle to find anything even remotely related to Indiana in this forum :eek:
"Indiana" eh? Never heard of it. :smuggrin:

Unfortunately, I am from Terre Haute. Fortunately I can see the light at the end of the tunnel- I am escaping this meth lab infested wasteland of corn and soybean fields on May 7, 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
DropkickMurphy said:
Unfortunately, I am from Terre Haute. Fortunately I can see the light at the end of the tunnel- I am escaping this meth lab infested wasteland of corn and soybean fields on May 7, 2007.
I feel sorry for you man... Terrible Haute... :/

EddieIndy said:

Hey Eddie...I, too, am from Indiana. :)

in indiana through high school... thankfully i will never ever live there again

I was in indiana from K through 12. Oddly enough..I hated it when I lived there but now I kind of miss certain aspects. Everywhere has it's highs and lows. Meth seems to be everywhere..although not to the level around Terre Haute south through Knox County. (Vincennes here) I have tried the city thing and realized it really isn't for me....while I may or may not return to Indiana to practice I will live in a similiar area where the people are generally nice, and stays a delightfully stereotypical american town. As long as I can get SOME culture within an hour or two drive. But yea....V.I. representin', goes to PSU, technically a florida resident now. Although will be shadowing in Indiana this summer.

Hey now, I don't know what ya'll are saying, but I like being a Hoosier by birth(but Boilermaker by the grace of God).

Matth52 said:
Hey now, I don't know what ya'll are saying, but I like being a Hoosier by birth(but Boilermaker by the grace of God).

Last edited:
Matth52 said:

Yech....purdue. If purdue had IU's campus it'd be great.....I was accepted there...which for an indiana resident pretty much ment sending in an application but just didn't like it....most of my family went to that concrete block in a field though. ;) Still friends with a few guys on the football team and what not.

I'm from Wisconsin, but I've been at Valparaiso for the past three years, so I'm applying to IU as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't lived here very long, but I'm technically an Indiana resident now. Hopefully IUSOM will show me and my crappy science gpa some mercy.

MossPoh said:
Yech....purdue. If purdue had IU's campus it'd be great.....I was accepted there...which for an indiana resident pretty much ment sending in an application but just didn't like it....most of my family went to that concrete block in a field though. ;) Still friends with a few guys on the football team and what not.

Aww, come on, the campus isn't that bad, especially in the fall. And friends with football players, be careful, a lot of them have are well aquainted with the night shift at county lockup.

Hello Indiana pre-meds! :D

I'm from a small town in Knox County (Freelandville, anyone?)...I went to North Knox High School, if you've ever heard of it (probably not, it's surrounded on 3 sides by cornfields)...and now I live in Terre Haute (yes, I know, it smells bad here :) ) and go to Indiana State....Any other ISU people???

~Rachael

Purdue all the way! The train goes w00t w00t!

Indiana's great if you love corn and hate nice weather. The great thing about living in Indiana for the past 13 years is that I will now be able to tolerate any sort of climate regardless of where I go for med school. I almost can't lose in that respect.

But here's to California dreamin'...

Hoosier Daddy?!

"close family ties to Indiana"...both parents from there, grandma in south bend, Mom is IU nursing, Dad IUSOM, so I'm applying there too.

However, has anyone received their IUSOM secondary yet? I emailed them and they were quite curt saying "we'll send out secondaries/invites after we review your AMCAS." Does that mean they looked at my NM residency and threw it in the trash already?

I heard from a few people that applied in previous years that IU is old school and only looks at the hard copies send out of people's AMCAS, not the electronic version. So it could take around 2 weeks for them to get it.

Matth52 said:
Aww, come on, the campus isn't that bad, especially in the fall. And friends with football players, be careful, a lot of them have are well aquainted with the night shift at county lockup.

hopefully your starting qb doesn't....that might be bad. Compared to other campuses I've been to...yea it is pretty ugly. The fact I went there on a bitter cold cloudy day didn't help but the only school's campus I disliked more was case western...and I think that had to do with being in cleveland...

MossPoh said:
hopefully your starting qb doesn't....that might be bad. Compared to other campuses I've been to...yea it is pretty ugly. The fact I went there on a bitter cold cloudy day didn't help but the only school's campus I disliked more was case western...and I think that had to do with being in cleveland...

I'm not gonna lie, we have more than our fair shares of cold and cloudy days. It is really kind of wierd.

EddieIndy said:

Hey Eddie,

I went to IUPUI for about 3 years! Volunteered at Wishard and worked at the medical and molecular genetics lab at the med school for Dr. Herbert. I transferred to UNF down here in Jax to get my FL residency back last year (was born and raised in FL). We prob passed each other a few times. :)

rachmoninov3 said:
"close family ties to Indiana"...both parents from there, grandma in south bend, Mom is IU nursing, Dad IUSOM, so I'm applying there too.

However, has anyone received their IUSOM secondary yet? I emailed them and they were quite curt saying "we'll send out secondaries/invites after we review your AMCAS." Does that mean they looked at my NM residency and threw it in the trash already?

I went to Notre Dame and I know that they interview a lot of the students from there who do not have Indiana residency. And I'm pretty sure your case would be the same. Both your parents went to school there and I know that a lot of people apply to their parents med school alma mater even if they currently live in another state. The idea of them wanting you to have ties is they want to get people to stay in Indiana and practice medicine. With going to Notre Dame I guess they assume after 8 years in the state you'll move there. I'm not really sure, but having family there and having family that has lived there before, I'd think they didn't throw out your application for this reason. Give it some more time I'd say, who knows when they'll get to read the application. I added IU to my AMCAS December and still got interviewed in January and they still had spots. So urgency isn't a problem really. DId you send anything about your family ties to them?

rachmoninov3 said:
I heard that IUSOM only looks at paper versions of the AMCAS so it takes them like 2 weeks to get them, and then they start going over them.

The average gpa for IU is like somewhere around 3.68. Why is it so high? And yet about 1 in 2 from Indiana get in?

Suaveness said:
The average gpa for IU is like somewhere around 3.68. Why is it so high? And yet about 1 in 2 from Indiana get in?
Well obviously because Indiana is such an intellectual state.

Matth52 said:
Well obviously because Indiana is such an intellectual state.
OBVIOUSLY! I mean my high school was so intellectual we had 2 ap courses because we just knew the other stuff already! I think aside from that the few out of staters have insanely high gpas ...so that helps and I really don't know too many premeds in indiana for whatever reason....so the ones that do aim for it do it for a reason. I know a lot that went to smaller schools as premed where they were practically a community college....to protect my ass not saying that these are always easier but after seeing what some of my friends have to do for their classes versus mine (not based on premed courses) I am convinced they have it easier....Bigger schools are the exception....all big 10 schools except northwestern and michigan are on about the same level. The hardest academic schools IN indiana though are both private..... Rose and Notre Dame. No idea what that has to do with anything but yea. I'm not eligible for instate in indiana anymore...although I'm not too sad...better chances in florida probably. OH...doesn't IU have a fairly large class as well?

MossPoh said:
OH...doesn't IU have a fairly large class as well?
Ya, the 2005 class had 280 students enrolled in it, 242 of which were in-state.

Suaveness said:

I know a few people who worked their butts off for 4.0s and got into IU early decision. At least one of them literally spent every waking hour studying. And I was like, "WHY?!?!!"

Not to say that getting a 4.0 isn't great, but having a life is great, too.

You know, every time I see this thread I think about this shirt I saw that said:
"Hoosier Daddy." :laugh: Carry on.

HairyCow said:
I know a few people who worked their butts off for 4.0s and got into IU early decision. At least one of them literally spent every waking hour studying. And I was like, "WHY?!?!!"

Not to say that getting a 4.0 isn't great, but having a life is great, too.
Who knows maybe they liked studying better than going out. As a fellow Bolier, you know this really might be true for some of the engi-nerds.