A little undecided

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pearl8876

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some input. Trying to decide where to go for Podiatry school and is looking for information on the following schools; TUSPM, AZPOD, and SCPM. What are each school’s strength and weakness. Any input is greatly appreciated especially from current students.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a difficult topic b/c when choosing a school you need what is right for you. Did you go interview at each? How did each school present itself? Is that presentation in line with what you want for you education?

If you think of it as which car is better a Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW? They all are great (and expensive) and so are all of those schools.

My question is where is CPMS? :eek: :confused:

:laugh:

Well I did interview at all three, sorry CPMS was supposed to be NYCPM. All the school seem to put on a good show and got me pretty excited about enrolling however, I would like to the the inside scoop from their students.
You are right, I can see myself at any of the 3 schools.
Having said that, I am a little bias towards AZPOD since my BF is in Cali but will relocate for me. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
pearl8876 said:
Well I did interview at all three, sorry CPMS was supposed to be NYCPM. All the school seem to put on a good show and got me pretty excited about enrolling however, I would like to the the inside scoop from their students.
You are right, I can see myself at any of the 3 schools.
Having said that, I am a little bias towards AZPOD since my BF is in Cali but will relocate for me. Thanks

In the list you have chosen I would have to suggest AZPOD. Besides the facilities and faculty, the big selling point is that it is one of only two podiatric medical schools that integrates the basic science curriculum with DO students. As a result you may find your first years a bit more challenging than at other schools, but you will be glad you went through it when it come time to take boards. I realize that AZPOD is a new school and this summer will actually be the first time a class from there takes the boards, but my prediction is that they will do really well. DMU is the only other school with an integrated first year and it definitely is reflected in board scores and residency placement

pearl8876 said:
Need some input. Trying to decide where to go for Podiatry school and is looking for information on the following schools; TUSPM, AZPOD, and SCPM. What are each school’s strength and weakness. Any input is greatly appreciated especially from current students.

Hello,

You said you interviewed at each of the schools. Have you got accepted at each, too? If so, there is no doubt whatsoever that AZPOD is going to give you the best education and the greatest opportunities for professional development. However, if you have really struggled with VERY challenging courses, you will find AZPOD to be insanely difficult. About 1 out of 5 DO and DPM student fails a course and has to be "decelerated." This means you have to go another year (except is rare circumstances where you can complete a class during summer). If you fail one more, you are kicked out. Remember, a fail is anything less than 70% in a class.

If you feel up to the challenge, AZPOD is the best choice based on academics.

The cost of living in the area has gone up tremendously and is relatively expensive now. However, you know all about that if you are from California.

One thing I love which I am sure in not exclusive to AZPOD but is great nonetheless is the caring manner in which professors make themselves available for you and get to know you on a one-on-one basis and have a real drive to see you succeed.

I love attending Midwestern and would recommend it to everyone (except it is expensive for a lot of people and the most difficult podiatric medicine program in the country). I am extremely excited to be starting AZPOD in August after having been at MWU for a year and a half now. Because of my proximity to the med students (DO and DPM), I know how tough it is and I am very concerned about doing well and making the grade. I know how easy it is to fail even after working hard.

If you already have a desire to attend AZPOD, were accepted, and have the background of academic success and financial stability, I would go there.

Good luck with your decision,

AZPOD Rocks

pearl8876 said:

My vote would be Az as well. But Im sure any one of those would be an excellent choice. Good luck in your decision.

Hey, I can't tell you which school will be the best choice for you by any means, because I think all three you listed are excellent schools, but I am a 2nd year student at Scholl and I can say without a doubt that I have made the best decision for myself by attending SCPM. You've seen our facilities (New clinic, New campus, awesome anatomy lab, etc.), but what you didn't get to see is our incredible student body and great professors. I have been impressed time and time again over the past year by the intelligence and patience of our professors. They are always available to help and want you to not only succeed, but to be at the forefront in podiatric medicine. Our student body is incredibly active in foot screenings, fundraisers (for diabetes, arthritis research, etc.), and many other things downtown. I don't believe anyone in the nation can compete with what Dr. Armstrong is doing in diabetic research here, either. And many of my classmates are working hand-in-hand with him this summer. I visited TUSPM and really enjoyed it, have heard nothing but great things about AZPOD, but I would recommend your seriously consider Scholl. I believe its a great place to become a great doc.

Does anyone at Scholl talk about why Dr. Armstrong was fired from UT?

I don't want to sound too hokey, but you have to go with your gut on this one. I'm an advocate for TUSPM because I just finished my first year there and couldn't be happier with my decision, but I'm sure students from other schools feel the same way. I chose Temple for several reasons, but the thing that stood out to me was its strength clinically (the patient volume of our clinic and other clinical affiliations). If you have anything specific you want to know, I'd be more than happy to answer your questions. Good luck!

I'm a big fan of Temple. The facilities are a little old but they've got a great staff. Harvey Lamont is the man when it comes to podiatric research. He is actually doing research not stealing it from others.

I thought scholl had an integrated curriculum with the MD students.

Nope. Only DMU and AZPOD are intergrated w/ another medical program (both DO programs).

dnice said:
I don't want to sound too hokey, but you have to go with your gut on this one. I'm an advocate for TUSPM because I just finished my first year there and couldn't be happier with my decision, but I'm sure students from other schools feel the same way. I chose Temple for several reasons, but the thing that stood out to me was its strength clinically (the patient volume of our clinic and other clinical affiliations). If you have anything specific you want to know, I'd be more than happy to answer your questions. Good luck!

It is nice to see some TUSPM students here. Congrats on finishing up your first year and getting through LEA. Enjoy your summer and get ready for Schoenhaus in Pathomechanics in your second year. I am a TUSPM alumni.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the first year at Scholl we take classes with all of the other health care students attending here. Anatomy with the MD students, histology with the pathology students, neuro with the PT's. So we get to work with all different fields of medicine.

dpmgrad said:
It is nice to see some TUSPM students here. Congrats on finishing up your first year and getting through LEA. Enjoy your summer and get ready for Schoenhaus in Pathomechanics in your second year. I am a TUSPM alumni.

I"ve heard the horror stories about Pathomechanics, but luckily I don't intimidate easily! I've seen that you answer quite a few questions on this board and answer them well, so thanks for taking the time to help all of us newbies.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Do you have anatomy lab and lecture w/ the MDs?

Yeah, we do. Lecture and lab. At first lab tanks are separated between the DPM and MD students, but after about a week everyone is goind around looking at each other's bodies. And then in Gross when we get to the lower extremity the DPM's and MD's are put together and work together on the dissection. The DPM's usually end up teaching the MD's.

Dr_Feelgood said:
The MD students take lower limb also?

A 2nd yr RFU MD student told me that they take the same lower limb with the DPM students in the spring.

doclm said:
A 2nd yr RFU MD student told me that they take the same lower limb with the DPM students in the spring.

That's interesting. I've never heard of an MD/DO school having a separate lower limb anatomy course. Are you sure the 2nd year wasn't just referring to covering lower limb with the DPM's in general anatomy?

jonwill said:
That's interesting. I've never heard of an MD/DO school having a separate lower limb anatomy course. Are you sure the 2nd year wasn't just referring to covering lower limb with the DPM's in general anatomy?

jonwill is right. I'm not really sure where doclm gets his information.

Manik, please set the record straight. What classes do you take w/ other programs? And when you take these classes together, do you then take the same tests?

manik said:
jonwill is right. I'm not really sure where doclm gets his information.

Manik,

This is what you posted to me a month ago:

"Well, from my understanding last year the main reason we don't "share" our cadavers is because during the Spring quarter, the Pods take another anatomy course that focuses on the lower extremity. So during the reguar anatomy course with med students, the only time we come together to dissect the cadavers is when we cover the lower extremity. That way, the pod cadavers can be preserved for that spring quarter class."

Sorry I read your post wrong when I reviewed it again today. :oops:
I thought that we came together in the regular gross anatomy lab to work generally on the lower limb. But, not the lower limb specifically.

Again, sorry about the confusion.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Manik, please set the record straight. What classes do you take w/ other programs? And when you take these classes together, do you then take the same tests?

Like jonwill said, we take our general anatomy course with the podiatry school during our first year. Same tests, different curves and different cadavers. But that's pretty much it. Then during our second year, the Pathology Assistant program (about 13 students) join our pathology course. So we're not as "integrated" as doclm would like to think.

But in all honesty, you seem to put a grave importance into podiatry programs that are integrated with MD/DO schools and I personally don't think it matters. I think its actually better that its separated in a sense that podiatry students will be taught and emphasized what's most important for them to learn in their courses, as we will in ours. Peace for now, I gotta get back to studying for boards (2 more weeks of hell for me :( ).

doclm said:
Manik,

This is what you posted to me a month ago:

"Well, from my understanding last year the main reason we don't "share" our cadavers is because during the Spring quarter, the Pods take another anatomy course that focuses on the lower extremity. So during the reguar anatomy course with med students, the only time we come together to dissect the cadavers is when we cover the lower extremity. That way, the pod cadavers can be preserved for that spring quarter class."

Sorry I read your post wrong when I reviewed it again today. :oops:
I thought that we came together in the regular gross anatomy lab to work generally on the lower limb. But, not the lower limb specifically.

Again, sorry about the confusion.

you really should try to contact students at Scholl. i'm probably not the best person to give you specific information about your program. most of my friends in the podiatry school are really cool, so i'm sure you won't have any problems finding someone to give you all the 411 you need for this upcoming year. good luck and enjoy your summer.

dnice said:
I"ve heard the horror stories about Pathomechanics, but luckily I don't intimidate easily! I've seen that you answer quite a few questions on this board and answer them well, so thanks for taking the time to help all of us newbies.

I have no problems answering any prospective TUSPM students may have about TUSPM. However, there may have been some changes since I have graduated and a current student would have the most current information.

As for Pathomechanics, you will do just fine. Just review your Biomechanics and LEA materials from the first year and it will help you in the course. Schoenhaus loves to call on people, especially when he goes over the surprise quizzes in class. If you have a difficult last name to pronounce, you are probably safe because he will not call on you. But, if you have an easy last name, he will call on you.