A Dose of Optimism for Graduating DPMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
As the 4th years prepare for graduation and to start residency, you may read some discord on SDN about the profession. No profession is perfect. Podiatry has its warts. But if you find something wrong or unfair, don’t just complain. Do something. Join those of us finding solutions. I’m proud to be a podiatrist and it really is a good profession where you can make a big difference in the lives of your patients and influence the medical community to understand what today’s podiatrist is trained to do.

I was honored to give the commencement address at Barry University last year and I post it below for you to read and be motivated to go forth and be toe-riffic!

Barry University Commencement Address 4/30/2022
Lee C. Rogers, DPM

<HUMAN>

What makes us HUMAN?

WHAT makes us human?

Well, you’re sitting here with your abundant gray matter in an over-sized cranium …
You’re listening, and hopefully, comprehending what I’m saying.

But the defining characteristic of being human is bipedalism. Walking on two feet.

Walking on two feet is so ingrained in our psyche that people who are confined to wheelchairs are frequently depressed. They feel less than human. They feel like they’re a burden on their family members and caregivers.

So the first time a patient told me, “Doctor, I’d rather die, than lose my leg.” it caught me by surprise, but now, I understand.

I specialize in the diabetic foot and preventing amputations, but there are so many other analogies in foot pain and other chronic diseases that limit mobility.

So, podiatry is a great profession that helps patients to be, or to remain, human. To help them feel human.

Certainly, don’t misconstrue what I’m saying as able-ist, because all humans are human and respected as such. But our goal as podiatrists is to keep people active, on two feet, and accommodate those that can’t.

<DOCTOR>

Today, you’ll be given the title, “DOCTOR.” But what does it really mean to be a doctor?

The origin of the word “DOCTOR” comes from the Latin “DOCERE”, meaning “to teach”. The same root of the word for “DOCTRINE” or “TEACHINGS”.

In the 13th Century, the First Doctorates were awarded at the University of Bologna and the University of Paris to teachers. Over the centuries, and especially in the last 150 years, the title “DOCTOR” has been commandeered by the medical professions and bestowed upon those that are physicians.

But I would argue, that if you’re doing your job right, DOCTORS really are TEACHERS.

We teach our patients. We teach our students. We teach our peers. We teach ourselves.

Without the teaching component …. there are no doctors.

<WHITE COAT>

After today, and for the remainder of your professional lives, you’ll be putting on a long white coat when you go to work.

But doctor’s coats weren’t always white, up until the late 1800s, they were black. They were black as a sign of respect for the dead. But then, medicine wasn’t based much on science, it was based on snake oil, experience, and anecdote. And many patients died during the practice of medicine.

German Doctor Ernst von Bergman, a surgeon, who actually was recorded in the first ever surgery on video, a below-the-knee amputation in Berlin in 1901 … without gloves and using a hacksaw by the way, was appalled at how doctors were viewed by the public as not being scientific. In the late 1800s, he helped popularize the use of the lab coat, or white coat, to indicate that physicians were scientists. Mind you, this is also shortly after we discovered germs and Louis Pasteur and Joseph Lister promoted sterile surgeries. The white coat also indicated cleanliness or sterility against these invisible microbes that patients feared.

Today the white coat is a symbol of purity of knowledge. It instills a sense of trust in our patients.

But don’t forget the symbolism and instead have pride on the advancement of medicine as a science.

So from here on out, every day, as you put on your white coat and your name badge with the title “DOCTOR”, don’t forget about the meaning of those two articles.

Use science and evidence in your approach to patient care. If you don’t know something, look it up. Never stop learning.

And never stop teaching. Teach your patients. Teach students who come behind you. Teach your colleagues.

If you see something unusual or interesting, it is your duty to publish so that others may learn from you and advance our knowledge and the profession.

<THOSE WHO WALKED WITH YOU>

At the beginning I spoke about bipedalism, locomotion, and walking. Metaphorically, you’re on a journey. Today is not the end. But it is an important milestone along the way. It is unlikely that any of you made it here on your own. There is a person or people that walked this journey with you, or maybe carried you along the way.

I couldn’t have done this without my dad. 3 days ago was the 12th anniversary of his death. I was at his bedside and held his hand as he took his last breath. He was a Marine and used to tell me, “never lose sight of the main objective”.

Maybe someone is here today who helped you along the way. If so, turn now and find that person in the audience. Maybe someone couldn’t make it or they’re no longer with us, but whether they’re here or you’re just thinking about them …. say “THANK YOU”.

<SNOOP DOGG>

Finally, I want to paraphrase a great philosopher.

A D.O.

Well, he’s more than a D.O.

He’s a D-O double G. Snoop DOGG.

“And last but not least, I wanna thank you. Thank you for believing in you. Thank you for doing all this hard work. Thank you for never giving up.”

I want to thank you for entering our profession and I now welcome you as … DOCTORS!​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
No profession is perfect.

Some professions just shouldn’t exist by virtue of how much dishonesty and frustration and confusion they cause, and the self serving people in them.

Some professions actually guarantee minimal difficulty in paying off your student loans. Some professions allow for starting salaries respectable for a physician.

Podiatry isn’t one of those professions. Have your preparation H ready folks. Pre pods - buy a few extra tubes.

Reactions: 6 users
As the 4th years prepare for graduation and to start residency, you may read some discord on SDN about the profession. No profession is perfect. Podiatry has its warts. But if you find something wrong or unfair, don’t just complain. Do something. Join those of us finding solutions. I’m proud to be a podiatrist and it really is a good profession where you can make a big difference in the lives of your patients and influence the medical community to understand what today’s podiatrist is trained to do.

I was honored to give the commencement address at Barry University last year and I post it below for you to read and be motivated to go forth and be toe-riffic!

Barry University Commencement Address 4/30/2022
Lee C. Rogers, DPM

<HUMAN>

What makes us HUMAN?

WHAT makes us human?

Well, you’re sitting here with your abundant gray matter in an over-sized cranium …
You’re listening, and hopefully, comprehending what I’m saying.

But the defining characteristic of being human is bipedalism. Walking on two feet.

Walking on two feet is so ingrained in our psyche that people who are confined to wheelchairs are frequently depressed. They feel less than human. They feel like they’re a burden on their family members and caregivers.

So the first time a patient told me, “Doctor, I’d rather die, than lose my leg.” it caught me by surprise, but now, I understand.

I specialize in the diabetic foot and preventing amputations, but there are so many other analogies in foot pain and other chronic diseases that limit mobility.

So, podiatry is a great profession that helps patients to be, or to remain, human. To help them feel human.

Certainly, don’t misconstrue what I’m saying as able-ist, because all humans are human and respected as such. But our goal as podiatrists is to keep people active, on two feet, and accommodate those that can’t.

<DOCTOR>

Today, you’ll be given the title, “DOCTOR.” But what does it really mean to be a doctor?

The origin of the word “DOCTOR” comes from the Latin “DOCERE”, meaning “to teach”. The same root of the word for “DOCTRINE” or “TEACHINGS”.

In the 13th Century, the First Doctorates were awarded at the University of Bologna and the University of Paris to teachers. Over the centuries, and especially in the last 150 years, the title “DOCTOR” has been commandeered by the medical professions and bestowed upon those that are physicians.

But I would argue, that if you’re doing your job right, DOCTORS really are TEACHERS.

We teach our patients. We teach our students. We teach our peers. We teach ourselves.

Without the teaching component …. there are no doctors.

<WHITE COAT>

After today, and for the remainder of your professional lives, you’ll be putting on a long white coat when you go to work.

But doctor’s coats weren’t always white, up until the late 1800s, they were black. They were black as a sign of respect for the dead. But then, medicine wasn’t based much on science, it was based on snake oil, experience, and anecdote. And many patients died during the practice of medicine.

German Doctor Ernst von Bergman, a surgeon, who actually was recorded in the first ever surgery on video, a below-the-knee amputation in Berlin in 1901 … without gloves and using a hacksaw by the way, was appalled at how doctors were viewed by the public as not being scientific. In the late 1800s, he helped popularize the use of the lab coat, or white coat, to indicate that physicians were scientists. Mind you, this is also shortly after we discovered germs and Louis Pasteur and Joseph Lister promoted sterile surgeries. The white coat also indicated cleanliness or sterility against these invisible microbes that patients feared.

Today the white coat is a symbol of purity of knowledge. It instills a sense of trust in our patients.

But don’t forget the symbolism and instead have pride on the advancement of medicine as a science.

So from here on out, every day, as you put on your white coat and your name badge with the title “DOCTOR”, don’t forget about the meaning of those two articles.

Use science and evidence in your approach to patient care. If you don’t know something, look it up. Never stop learning.

And never stop teaching. Teach your patients. Teach students who come behind you. Teach your colleagues.

If you see something unusual or interesting, it is your duty to publish so that others may learn from you and advance our knowledge and the profession.

<THOSE WHO WALKED WITH YOU>

At the beginning I spoke about bipedalism, locomotion, and walking. Metaphorically, you’re on a journey. Today is not the end. But it is an important milestone along the way. It is unlikely that any of you made it here on your own. There is a person or people that walked this journey with you, or maybe carried you along the way.

I couldn’t have done this without my dad. 3 days ago was the 12th anniversary of his death. I was at his bedside and held his hand as he took his last breath. He was a Marine and used to tell me, “never lose sight of the main objective”.

Maybe someone is here today who helped you along the way. If so, turn now and find that person in the audience. Maybe someone couldn’t make it or they’re no longer with us, but whether they’re here or you’re just thinking about them …. say “THANK YOU”.

<SNOOP DOGG>

Finally, I want to paraphrase a great philosopher.

A D.O.

Well, he’s more than a D.O.

He’s a D-O double G. Snoop DOGG.

“And last but not least, I wanna thank you. Thank you for believing in you. Thank you for doing all this hard work. Thank you for never giving up.”

I want to thank you for entering our profession and I now welcome you as … DOCTORS!​

By “some discord on SDN” you mean the glaring issues with the profession (that you continue to conveniently ignore) as far as massive over saturation resulting in an abysmal job market and atrocious ROI with a DPM degree?

Yea, totes “some discord”.

Let’s not forgot some of the self serving interests at play here:

1) residency and fellowship director - keep pod school enrollment up to have a constant supply of residents and fellows. benefits from having an army of residents to help see all of the diabetic foot pus in the hospital $$$$$$$

2) ABPM president. Again benefits from trying to keep pod school enrollment up. More membership dues = more money. $$$$$$

Just some disclosures that everyone here should understand.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Podiatry is awful. If you’re 2 years or less in podiatry school I would consider something else. It’s not too late to cut your losses for some of you

Solid speech, Dr. Rogers. Hopefully you can come to my commencement in a few years so I can listen to it in person.

I want to share some ideas and feedback about podiatry, but I'm going to wait until the summer when my exams are over.

This week I read an article by Dr. Levy from DMU entitled "Can Podiatric Physicians Also be Primary Care Providers?", who regrettably passed away recently. His vision for podiatry is very admirable, and personally, I believe it will come true if the right steps are taken to make changes in the field and address the deeply rooted issues. His vision for podiatry would also solve majority of problems we have today.

If you guys are interested in reading it, I have attached it to this post or just google the title online. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• Levy1030web.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: 2 users
... self serving interests at play here....
Ding ding ding. ^

• The schools need tuition.
  • The residencies want GME monies to please their hospital and justify director/attending salaries.
  • Some residencies and docs need to keep doing/teaching wonky amps and Charcot and "salvage" that statistically fail so they get cases to justify their training spots or keep the cash register on a bit longer before BKA.
  • The podiatry orgainzations - and boards - want paying members.
  • The podiatry PPs need high numbers of potential hires.

Podiatry can be a great profession, but the biggest cheearleader$ and woolgatherer$ often have the most personally riding on more and more DPMs being created.

On the contrary, some DPMs definitely have personal grudges against the residency they didn't get, board they didn't pass, group or hospital that fired or wouldn't hire them, etc. Watch out when those people get ahold of some power or a microphone (or just social media nowadays). Definitely take that with a monster grain of salt.

The bottom line is to make one's own luck. Work hard and apply oneself. Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut.

...but I'm headin to the gym... can't shrink myself into prosperity.

Btw, we don’t get paid to use our valuable free time to post on SDN. We have zero financial ties or disclosures - as in my fellow posters above. You’ve made it this far, keep working hard because come 2026, 540+ new grads plus a large portion of the current 18,000 practicing DPMs will be fighting for 50 hospital jobs. Like Pronation always say…..get your sharp portable dremels ready.

Reactions: 5 users
Hospital/MSG Jobs are likely receiving >50 applications for every one position available (That's me being conservative).
The oversaturation is mind blowing. School tuition keeps increasing while salaries stagnate (I haven't received a raise in 4 years. What's inflation at again?).

To all the pre pods out there good luck!!!
Reminds me of an old SNES game...

Attachments

• Pre Pods.jpg
    Pre Pods.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: 2 users
You are being conservative. I applied to a VA job which are considered a dead end in most medical professions.

Each VA I applied to, 4 to be exact, despite being board certed and having worked with a hospital system; resulted in no calls.

You can see how many apply for each VA position. Each position had no less than 24 plus applications, the largest being 68.

Read that again. 68 applications for a VA job.

This has taught me one crucial thing ….

Scroll down

Keep scrolling

Keep going

….

Need some more podiatry schools to help fix this!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You are being conservative. I applied to a VA job which are considered a dead end in most medical professions.

Each VA I applied to, 4 to be exact, despite being board certed and having worked with a hospital system; resulted in no calls.

You can see how many apply for each VA position. Each position had no less than 24 plus applications, the largest being 68.

Scroll down

Keep scrolling

Keep going

….

I remember they had like 104 apps for 2 Houston VA jobs. Forefoot only. And I think one of the people they hired was fellowship trained .

Reactions: 1 user

Scroll down

Keep scrolling

Keep going

….

It's a lot of who you know, that's for sure. That and a little luck.

Reactions: 1 user