Did you apply "disadvantaged"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the disadvantaged section on AMCAS is pretty big but it's all cloaked in mystery. there are no guidelines and there's no way to find out how it affects your application. i'm looking for people who checked off disadvantaged and wanting to know if it came up in the admissions process and how so. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I did, but it never came up in my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied as a "disadvantaged" student, mainly because I was told that being from an extremely rural area counts as a disadvantage. I don't think it helped me much overall since I was accepted to schools where my stats/ECs were highly competetive anyway and rejected from my reach schools (w/o interview). Every interview addressed what I had written in my essay, so go in there prepared to talk about whatever it is that you feel puts you at a disadvantage. I would agree with Mistress S that everyone has hurdles in their life and your rationale for checking the disadvantaged box could either bring light to genuine obstacles or make you look out of touch with what disadvantaged really means. :luck:

MiesVanDerMom said:
the disadvantaged section on AMCAS is pretty big but it's all cloaked in mystery. there are no guidelines and there's no way to find out how it affects your application. i'm looking for people who checked off disadvantaged and wanting to know if it came up in the admissions process and how so. :confused:

Hi there,
Applying disadvantaged does not affect your application other than in a statistical manner. The AMCAS can use your status for generating statistics.

As an admissions committee member, I do not give any weight pro or con to students who apply disadvantaged or any other status. Your entire application is reviewed within the context of the rest of our applicant pool. If you are a superior candidate who shows promise of being able to complete our curriculum, then you would be offerd an interview. Depending on how you interview, you would be offered admission.

Check the box if it applies or don't check the box. Either way, it's not going to affect your application.

njbmd :)

I would disagree with njbmd and suggest that "Applying disadvantaged does not affect your application other than in a statistical manner. The AMCAS can use your status for generating statistics." may be true for his school, but not every school. Still, I don't know this for certain, and I've been unable to become a student adcom myself. Still, I think it's silly to say "who shows promise of being able to complete our curriculum". How many students fail out of your school anyway? Does it correlate nicely with GPA and MCAT scores before they started? (Psst, I already know the answer to this nationally. It doesn't.)

I applied as disadvantaged, and most people do tell me I was very justified in doing so. It's hard to say whether specifically checking the disadvantaged box and writing the disadvantaged essay meant anything, but the topics I discussed in my personal statement and disadvantaged essay came up in almost every interview. Many wanted to see if it was true, others wondered how it was possible.

It's true that many people who interviewed me paid little attention to my application. I did end up getting accepted at one school where they admitted they usually didn't even read things like personal statements. Still, at my second interview, my interviewer was so impressed with my essays and my interview that they offered me a rare early acceptance.

I encourage pre-meds who have a unique and challenging background to apply disadvantaged for whatever it's worth. Some adcoms do appreciate diverse backgrounds among their students. The vast majority of pre-meds come from middle to upper class families and as a result medical school classes feel homogenous. It irks some of us, including some adcoms. If some adcom somewhere is trying to produce the future leaders of medicine by selecting those who have come from a place that gives them the drive to do something about the problems in medicine, kudos to them. That's how I got into Penn when all the other top-10 schools rejected me. The adcom who selected my application brought me in to interview with him. He told me "I wouldn't have interviewed you, but I wanted to see if your application was real." Had my application been reviewed by with a different adcom, it's likely I wouldn't be here.

Neuronix said:
I would disagree with njbmd and suggest that "Applying disadvantaged does not affect your application other than in a statistical manner. The AMCAS can use your status for generating statistics." may be true for his school, but not every school. Still, I don't know this for certain, and I've been unable to become a student adcom myself. Still, I think it's silly to say "who shows promise of being able to complete our curriculum". How many students fail out of your school anyway? Does it correlate nicely with GPA and MCAT scores before they started? (Psst, I already know the answer to this nationally. It doesn't.)

Hi there,

AMCAS statistics have nothing to do with individual schools yours or mine.

I am not a "he", I am a "she" and have been since my conception.

We (the admissions committee) evaluate students within the context of the entire applicant pool, and not according to categories checked on an application form such as disadvantaged, URM, non-URM etc. We do NOT place applications into piles other than by completed or not completed.

If checking a box on an application gives you some feeling that you are somehow going to be evaluated differently and thus an "advantage" then you may be in for a disappointment when you are not selected be a member of the incoming medical class. If you have a competitive application, whether you grew up disadvantaged or not, you are likely to gain admission to medical school.

Check any box that you like or do not check the box but do not expect it to make much of a difference in your evaluation by an admissions committee especially mine. To believe otherwise in 2006, is to live in a "dream world".

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
AMCAS statistics have nothing to do with individual schools yours or mine.

Agreed. I felt as though you were speaking in general terms. I provided some evidence to say that applying disadvantaged may indeed help at some schools if you are truly disadvantaged. While I may wonder why your school does not give extra kudos to disadvantaged or nontraditional students, this is a personal opinion of my own.

I am not a "he", I am a "she" and have been since my conception.

Apologies.

If checking a box on an application gives you some feeling that you are somehow going to be evaluated differently and thus an "advantage" then you may be in for a disappointment when you are not selected be a member of the incoming medical class.

Applying disadvantaged is not simply checking a box. There is an essay and a number of questions that go along with it. It is the combination of all those factors that may draw adcoms to pay special attention to your application. It probably played a role in my application at some schools, as evidenced by my prior post. How much boost it gives to your personal statement is hard to say, but it does give you extra space to elaborate on your particular situation.

If you have a competitive application, whether you grew up disadvantaged or not, you are likely to gain admission to medical school.

Of course, though having the fortitude to work through hardship may knock you a tier higher than you otherwise may have been. It also might get you into med school if you're otherwise borderline. I know for certain my application was much stronger thanks to my personal statement and disadvantaged essays. It gave me the nudge to get into this top tier MD/PhD school. I know this is what happened in my case due to several conversations with adcoms here since coming in.

To believe otherwise in 2006, is to live in a "dream world".

I think it is silly to speak so strongly about your position. Maybe at your school, this is true. You cannot speak for every school. That was the point of my earlier post.

I did apply disadvantaged. It came up during the interview. It basically gave the Adcom a chance to know me better. I was able to tell them about my life and how it made me grow. I grew up on a reservation and inner city detroit (diff points in my life). My parents had no education past high school. My mother had progressive MS and my brother and I cared for her about 60 hrs a week during high school and college. My father worked 3 menial jobs. I had a bad accident during college that forced my brother to become primary care giver. Yet we both went on after that and were a source of support for one another. We lived on assistance often.