Just took the 2006 NAPLEX exam and...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmdgto

resident drug pusher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think I did very well. I contribute most of this to overall anxiety and also the difference in what I was told by KAPLAN versus what was really on the test. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the scores back yet, but for those that have yet to take it, make sure you learn BRAND names of the medications. I knew this before going into the exam but if you think your going to skate by just knowing the ARB's end in "sartan" and ACE inhibitors in "pril" then your in for a loop when you take it.

My biggest complaint is that the calculations were NIGHT and DAY different than what I expected. Using the KAPLAN notes and also the APHA's review book (mainly KAPLAN), I was left to believe that the problems would be fairly straight forward. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw, but my problems were more hospital in nature. None of the C1v1=C2V2 easy stuff or simple milliequivalent problems. I was left with micro/kg/day mixed in with drip rates and then milliequivalents, etc. This IMO made me more anxious in addition to watching that nice little clock slowly counting down. They should get rid of that darn thing or at least give you the option of removing it.

Also make sure you know the brand names/generic equivalents of devices such as peak flow meters. I MAY (wouldn't want to give away NAPLEX questions) of even had a question that related to the color of a specific chemotherapeutic agent! Unreal. Probably one of my favorite aspects of the exam MAY have been questions that wanted to you know which individual bacteria caused the infection (i.e. H. influenzae causing Otitis Media) and what 2nd line agent you could use to treat it due to the patient's allergy.
Regardless, lengthy studying for it IMO is a waste of time because with 16,000 possible questions to ask, there is no way you can fully study for it. Just try not to be apprehensive which is impossible.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. I could very well be taking this thing again in 90 days. Sigh...now for the law exam on Saturday...yippie.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for posting. It's nice to see what kind of questions MAY be on the NAPLEX.

Yes, thanks for posting! So, when you're talking about the clock, is there a little countdown right there on the computer screen? I know that would make me really nervous too, it would definitely be nice if there was away to hide it away. Think I'd get in trouble if I took a little piece of colored tape and put it over the clock during my exam? :laugh:

When will you find out your results? I wish they'd just post them immediately after you take it since it's computerized. Any idea why they don't?

When I took my exam last year, it took about a week for the envelope from the board of pharmacy with my score and the fact that it was 'passing' to arrive. Let me tell you, it wasn't a good week to be around me. Then I got to repeat it again a couple of weeks later when I took the law exam and had to wait a week for those results.

Maybe it's all a big plan to give us one last chance to get an ulcer from an exam. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but honestly I do not think I passed it. I just choked big time. I know the information as I have graduated and worked in retail pharmacy for over 5 years. I just didn't perform and I attribute that to test anxiety. I have never experience d that before, even in pharmacy school. Who knows, maybe I skated by, but I highly doubt it. Put it this way, if I did indeed pass that examination, the state of illinois is desperate for pharmacists.

pharmagirl said:
Yes, thanks for posting! So, when you're talking about the clock, is there a little countdown right there on the computer screen? I know that would make me really nervous too, it would definitely be nice if there was away to hide it away. Think I'd get in trouble if I took a little piece of colored tape and put it over the clock during my exam? :laugh:

When will you find out your results? I wish they'd just post them immediately after you take it since it's computerized. Any idea why they don't?

That stupid thing is in the upper right hand corner of the computer screen. I just kept staring at it, almost poesque, as if I could hear it counting down. I thought I was so prepared for it too and then I just bombed it I feel ( I am the kind of person that memorizes test questions and looks the answer up later only to find that I missed a bunch of easy questions). Nothing I can do until the score comes back and I need to concentrate on the law which is supposedly even harder.

Great....

pharmdgto said:
Well I don't think I did very well. I contribute most of this to overall anxiety and also the difference in what I was told by KAPLAN versus what was really on the test. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the scores back yet, but for those that have yet to take it, make sure you learn BRAND names of the medications. I knew this before going into the exam but if you think your going to skate by just knowing the ARB's end in "sartan" and ACE inhibitors in "pril" then your in for a loop when you take it.

My biggest complaint is that the calculations were NIGHT and DAY different than what I expected. Using the KAPLAN notes and also the APHA's review book (mainly KAPLAN), I was left to believe that the problems would be fairly straight forward. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw, but my problems were more hospital in nature. None of the C1v1=C2V2 easy stuff or simple milliequivalent problems. I was left with micro/kg/day mixed in with drip rates and then milliequivalents, etc. This IMO made me more anxious in addition to watching that nice little clock slowly counting down. They should get rid of that darn thing or at least give you the option of removing it.

Well, I don't know if you got your scores back yet or not, but if it makes you feel better, I totally thought I failed also and passed just the same. :)

Recycled said:
pharmdgto said:

Well, I don't know if you got your scores back yet or not, but if it makes you feel better, I totally thought I failed also and passed just the same. :)

Haven't received anything yet but I just took it last saturday so I guess it takes about a week and a half to get them back.

It was not too much fun!!!! I practiced a LOT of calculations- and that really helped out- but it seemed to be a lot of hospital pharmacy- and I know nothing about hospital stuff!!!!!!
I am glad I went to the UGA board review- and for anyone who takes it next year- and if you are close to UGA- then I would HIGHLY recommend going there!!! The guy who does it if Flynn Warren- and he really gives great study study tips and the math handout really broke down the math!!!! It was well worth my $175!!!!
I also bought the appleton and lange book, and the top 200 drug cards- both of which I didnt find helpful!!!!
Hopefully-I should find out in a week- but- I felt like I blindly guessed everything- I didnt study as much as I should have- all I did was practice calculations- but I had stuff I dont even remember learning about in school!!!! But- I have heard that everyone feels like they fail- and then they pass- I hope that it true!!!

slpharm7 said:
It was not too much fun!!!! I practiced a LOT of calculations- and that really helped out- but it seemed to be a lot of hospital pharmacy- and I know nothing about hospital stuff!!!!!!
I am glad I went to the UGA board review- and for anyone who takes it next year- and if you are close to UGA- then I would HIGHLY recommend going there!!! The guy who does it if Flynn Warren- and he really gives great study study tips and the math handout really broke down the math!!!! It was well worth my $175!!!!
I also bought the appleton and lange book, and the top 200 drug cards- both of which I didnt find helpful!!!!
Hopefully-I should find out in a week- but- I felt like I blindly guessed everything- I didnt study as much as I should have- all I did was practice calculations- but I had stuff I dont even remember learning about in school!!!! But- I have heard that everyone feels like they fail- and then they pass- I hope that it true!!!

It sounds like you took a similar exam that I did. The calculations were hospital in nature and NOTHING like what I had in review. Interestingly enough, all of my friends just had dilutions and Meq problems. I wonder why I didn't have ANY of that? Luck of the draw I guess. Regardless, I STILL haven't recieved any scores yet and its going on 2 weeks come tomorrow. Hopefully I passed. I don't mind having to take it again because I seen what its like but I just don't like the 90 day penalty. All of my friends are passing and most think they failed miserably, so maybe that is a good thing.

Well I hope you passed and now welcome to test answer waiting purgatory hell.....

I took the NAPLEX last year. I had doubts, but I passed.
Looking back on it, I would suggest not studying, just review sections you think you are weak in. I did not take a review course.

I went over alot of math, made sure I did all of the conversions and "hospital" related (drips, etc).
I studied chemo and HIV drugs - not one question.
had several alternative med questions.
can't really remember specifics, but know brand/generic like others mentioned.

i took it on 9/13..and it was challenging as well...i been checking my score online on flor board website and still waiting for result by mail or online. i'm having an ulcer waiting for the result that's for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean checking your score on the florida board website? can you post the link? You took the Naplex and MPJE or just the naplex?

I just took the Naplex on Sep 18....Im ULTRA MEGA anxious to get those results back.

For those of you stuying for the naplex and think the best way to study is to get a lot of previous question from other people who took the naplex. Mine had a bunch of the same questions my friends gave me. Very nice!!! and even though I took the kaplan review, read their book and some of the apha review. The best thing for me was those questions.

I hope a get a passing grade! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm going to take the naplex in a few weeks and the law a couple of weeks after that. I know my weakness is in antibiotics. Did you have to know a lot of specifics as far as which antibiotics cover which specific bugs and 1st and second line agents?

I took my NAPLEX in 2002; the only "studying" I did was a quickie review of calculations the night before.

Every year, it seems there is a particular disease state that gets a disproportionate number of questions. In my case, I had about 5 cystic fibrosis questions. I believe we may have had one 20 minute lecture on the subject.

I was so scared of the NAPLEX; I made a 101. It was our law exam that was hard! And get this, not a single question on controlled substances. Most of our law questions were about how to renew your license if it had expired, how much it would cost, etc...very strange!

Hello Pharmld, Congratulations on passing the gruelling exam!!!
How did you study for the test, what resources did you use in addition to the ones posted in your messages here? Also, the link you have posted requires a password to download the contents. Would you mind sharing the password?
Thank you for helping. I'm sure your guidance will help many members here.

Tinu

Hi there:

The password I think is kaplan or Kaplan. I'm not sure if iits case sensitive.

For the naplex I studied from kaplan, apha, and the questions in that document, specially the ones for 2006. I used apha for some topics that are very weak in kaplan, like asthma. I don't recommend studying HIV in apha b/c is just too much info.

After I finished studying the kaplan book I started reiewing the questions in naplex.rar and I looked up every question in my PDA (lexi-comp) and somethings in clinical pharmacology database. Basically I searched for info about all the question. Take care and good luck

Hi,
I am a pharmacist from aboard & I am preparing for NAPLEX. I don't have any intern or rotation experience. So it is hard for me to answer compounding & hospital pharmacy related question.

Can anyone please suggest me a good reference to find previous NAPLEX test Questions? It might be helpful for me to understand the test pattern & I can prepare strategically to take NAPLEX. I have A&L book. Is there any other book or website, where I can find pratice tests. Is there a standard book for Pharmacy math (mainly contains hospital pharmacy calculations)?

Cheers,
Upperna.

Hello "pharmld", thank you for your advice and the password. I could download the file. I will watch out when I reach HIV section in APhA review book.
I was wondering, what did you do for pharmaceutical calculations? Would you recommend any particular book?

Thank you for your help!!:)

cheers!!:thumbup:

Tinu

To reinforce what someone else said - Flynn Warren's board review at UGA is absolutely worth the money and time (and wherever you have to travel from to get there) ... He has been doing this for a very long time and basically takes pharmacy school and boils it down to a couple of days. He has a very real-world approach to doing everything (how to make it fast and easy, real life applications) because he does still do pharmacy in his "spare" time. You could almost sleep through school and pass the boards by taking this course....

(FOR UPPERNA) The calculations book you want is by Howard Ansel (who incidentally is also from UGA) Very complete and easy to understand.

(I took the boards a long time ago - before they computerized - when it was three days straight, no break. However, I am getting ready for the MPJE so I can reciprocate my license... do the techno-idiots still get a scan-tron sheet and a pencil? lol )

Hi there:

The calculations problems in Kaplan are great. Do them all, and practice them like 3 times. Time yourself doing like 25 to 30 problems. That should take you like an hour. They are basically the same problems you will see on the Naplex. The statistics part in Kaplan sucks. Review the Number Needed to Treat, Absolute Risk, and Odds Ratio formulas in your old handouts or something.

Good Luck

one dumb question. on the naplex are the normal ranges given? for example the percent or number for CBCs?

I wouldn't rush on the exam, I passed and had 1 hour and 40minutes to spare, i was rushing at the begining. I got one question wrong because i didn't realize that all the answers weren't showing, you had to scroll down(you will always have 5 choices for answers).

It didn't start of too well w/random questions about rare disease states. I 2nd what was said about studying calculations like absolute risk(i got this and guessed cause i didn't remember how to do it). Know basic kinetic stuff. Know how to figure out how much of x to use in a compound and all of those types of calculations(basically what the apha book said to study). Definitely know brand and generic for top 200 drugs. Know what dosage forms commonly used drugs come in(liquid, injection, tablet, etc.) What common counceling points for the common drugs. Know the info on how to make tpa's, common stuff not too indepth, and know how many calories in protein, fat, and carb. Honestly, i simply went through the apha review book 5-6 times and then practiced calculations using another calculation book.

i was just reviewing the rar file that i downloaded and i was curious about something mentioned in both of the 2006 reviews. can one get the mmr vaccine if they are allergic to eggs? i thought only gelatin allergies was contraindicated for mmr vax, and egg allergy was CI of flu-vax. could someone correct me if i am wrong.

I've taken this from another site:

"The current measles-mumps-rubella vaccine (MMR) does not contain a significant amount of egg proteins (but two other vaccines do). As recently as 1994, the AAP recommended skin testing of all children with severe egg allergies before they received the MMR. This is no longer necessary. Even those with dramatic egg allergies are extremely unlikely to have an anaphylactic reaction to the MMR. The benefits of the vaccine far outweigh the risks."

I believe the aboive is true, but remember the naplex is made from a pool of questions. Some maybe old, but you have to answer accordingly to what they want.

Take care

Thank you

To be able to use that file you have to burn it to a CD. Use a program like Nero. (select burn iso image).

You don't even need to burn it to a cd, you may exctract all the content using an ISO extraction software like Ultraiso.

Take care.

Hi,
May i know the link you provided contains the contents of apha review cd which comes with the third edition of THE APHA Complete review of pharmacy book. Please let me know.

Sincerely,

am soo tired- been studying long time- now i find you have some extra stuff to study- hope it helps- im scheduled tomorrow at 245 pm hope i pass- i didnt get to take it with my class because the school shorted me 1 unit but its all fixed now been working in the retail since 1999 will that help do you think?

ok well mine was math, math and more math.. with some(4-5) questions on a newer RA mab. the people at the linky must be eidetic- because that is all i remember..... the site was helpful but i didnt get any of the questions that i didnt already know- law is on tuesday- back to studying!!!:luck:

Hi,

I cleared my NAPLEX and am taking my law this month end. Did not have as much math as i expected. But got a great score. I am a foreign pharmacy graduate and am looking for internships in Texas. Can anyone advice me regarding internships in not for profit hospitals because i need a H1 B sponsorship and the for profit hospitals can only take me next october.

Thank you

i just got my score today for the mpje and naplex today. it took 3 weeks for the naplex and 1 week for the mpje scores to arrive. i slid by the law with a 79 which i'm happy with since i didn't go to school in the same state i am seeking liscensure and a 130 on the naplex. the info posted here was def helpful. mine had some math, not too much, maybe five TPN questions which i just guessed at and moved on, since i was more worried about time. all in all it wasn't that bad.

thanks for sharing these folders, but I was not able to find or download any of them, can you reload them plzz
thanks

The File is in winrar format, thats like winzip. Just search google for winrar and dowload the program to be able to decompress the file (naplex.rar) Here is the linky
http://www.4shared.com/file/3940101/...13/naplex.html

it helped for question format for me but not a lot of the same questions- also the ones i did get i knew already- ps some of the answers are wrong- go look them up- passed both my exams just found out- good luck to y'all:luck:

Hey all!
Im new to the site but I just wanted to share my NAPLEX experience. I was a bundle of nerves before, during, and after the test. I read just about every review book I could get my hands on! It only took 5 days to get my results and the score was alot higher than what I was guessing it would be. I've heard that from alot of my friends I went to school with too. Now the MPJE on the other hand, it was alot harder than I expeted! But this is probably because I was moving to a new state with completely different laws than what I was used to. Good luck to anyone about to test! :)

Hi,

I'm a new member.
I would first like to congratulate all those who have cleared Naplex & Mpje exams.
Plss help us......through ur deep insights. The site about naplex which s mentioned at 4shared.com is not opening. Has anyone saved the information. plss mail us the information.

thanks a lot

& All the best

Yeah, but honestly I do not think I passed it. I just choked big time. I know the information as I have graduated and worked in retail pharmacy for over 5 years. I just didn't perform and I attribute that to test anxiety. I have never experience d that before, even in pharmacy school. Who knows, maybe I skated by, but I highly doubt it. Put it this way, if I did indeed pass that examination, the state of illinois is desperate for pharmacists.
Hey
What's your recommendation for IL students? I am not taking the NAPLEX anytime soon, but I like to know what books I should buy. What's a good book to study for LAw exam?

Hi pharmdyy4u

i can't download this file
http://www.4shared.com/file/3940101/...13/naplex.html

there is an ad it's said

The file link that you requested is not valid. Please contact link publisher

can you please tell me how can i download
thank you in advance

[email protected]

sea

Yeah, I'm having problems with this link as well. Whenever it's convenient for you, would you please post a different link or email it to me at
[email protected]. Thank you very much

I use magiciso to burn iso file to cd however you can mount iso file as virtual cd. and install program from virtual cd directly.
http://www.magiciso.com/

Hello there,
I was wondering if you already downloaded and burn out the file from the link .
If you did, I hope you don't mind to share with me please b/c I was trying to open this link and this link isn't longer exist.

Truly appreciate if you could help me out. Thanks.
regards,

I will be doing my naplex exam as well....

I tried to open the file but it is no longer available. Can you share the file with me to, please...

Good study to all!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto as above.

I need them for my sister. Please PM me if you have the files

Thanks a lot

Hello ans thanks to all for the valuable info..

If possible, could someone please send me the Naplex files at [email protected] :D

Thanks in advance..

-Seven

Can you please email me the information because the link doesn't work. I will be taking the NAPLEX soon, but don't know what to focus on. Thanks in advance!

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.